Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

NBA trade deadline thread

Juxtatarot

rumors in detroit for Amare sending Rasheed and Stuckey back

Sure wish they could do it without giving up Stuckey.
stuckey is over rated by all piston fans.You are not going to get a player like Amare by giving up just expiring contracts.
Not saying I wouldn't do it. Just I'd rather they didn't have to.

• Replies 647
  • Created
  • Last Reply

rumors in detroit for Amare sending Rasheed and Stuckey back

Sure wish they could do it without giving up Stuckey.
stuckey is over rated by all piston fans.You are not going to get a player like Amare by giving up just expiring contracts.
Not saying I wouldn't do it. Just I'd rather they didn't have to.
true, but they have to make that trade if it's there

Nash on the Dan Patrick show sure sounded resigned to the fact that one or more players would be traded... but had no idea to whom.

side note, Nash has a great dry sense of humor -

DP: How much time will you spend guarding LeBron tonight?

Nash: Hopefully a lot. That's my specialty... my LeBron defense.

Marion traded for JON

Raptors acquire Marion from Heat

Comment Email Print Share

ESPN.com

The Toronto Raptors have agreed to send Jermaine O'Neal and Jamario Moon to the Miami Heat in exchange for Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks, league sources told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher.

The deal is pending league approval, according to league sources.

Marion traded for JONRaptors acquire Marion from HeatComment Email Print ShareESPN.comThe Toronto Raptors have agreed to send Jermaine O'Neal and Jamario Moon to the Miami Heat in exchange for Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks, league sources told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher.The deal is pending league approval, according to league sources.

I don't understand it for the Heat. They think O'Neal is the answer inside? Ugh. Getting Marion off the books would have been very nice. Spinning their wheels and not helping long term. Good move for the Raptors.

Marion traded for JONRaptors acquire Marion from HeatComment Email Print ShareESPN.comThe Toronto Raptors have agreed to send Jermaine O'Neal and Jamario Moon to the Miami Heat in exchange for Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks, league sources told ESPN The Magazine's Ric Bucher.The deal is pending league approval, according to league sources.

:useless: Taking on Banks' contract sucks but it is well worth it to be rid of Moon and O'Neal.

I don't understand it for the Heat. They think O'Neal is the answer inside? Ugh. Getting Marion off the books would have been very nice. Spinning their wheels and not helping long term. Good move for the Raptors.
From the Heat point of view, they get rid of Banks' contract and get a $21M expiring contract for the summer of 2010. When you rolling out Joel Anthony as your starting and pretty much only center, you need help inside. Marion wasn't giving them anything.

This also kills that 3-way Stoudemire deal that was getting some legs recently.

from rotoworld:

The Heat have reportedly agreed to trade Shawn Marion and Marcus Banks to the Raptors for Jermaine O'Neal and Jamario Moon. The deal is still pending league approval.

Hopefully the change of scenery will provide a much-needed jolt to Marion's disappointing campaign, while the departure of O'Neal from Toronto means that Andrea Bargnani will likely go back to being the Raptors starting center, a role in which he has thrived. One other potential ramification of this deal is that Michael Beasley could move into the Heat's starting five. Feb. 13 - 1:11 pm et

ONeal is a huge upgrade for the over the guy they have been starting - Joey something or another. It was so useless that it was like playing 4-on-5. ONeal just needs to somehow stay healthy. A tall order, I know, but the dearth of big men in the league means you will overpay. Marion was ineffectual for them, so why not give it a go?

HAsn't JON been playing decent D this season? I would think that perhaps getting him in there defensively can make up for Beasley's inability to be well-rounded right now.

PLEASE someone take T-Mac off our hands...anything....can't we trade T-Mac to San Antonio for Tiago Splitter and call it even? Wouldn't the Heat take him in exchange for Banks and a 1st? Why not send him to OKC to mentor Durant (not like he needs it) in exchange for some clean towels? :jabsforkineye:

HAsn't JON been playing decent D this season? I would think that perhaps getting him in there defensively can make up for Beasley's inability to be well-rounded right now.

PLEASE someone take T-Mac off our hands...anything....can't we trade T-Mac to San Antonio for Tiago Splitter and call it even? Wouldn't the Heat take him in exchange for Banks and a 1st? Why not send him to OKC to mentor Durant (not like he needs it) in exchange for some clean towels? :jabsforkineye:

:lmao:

I've been saying that for over a year but unfortunately there's a rumor that he may be shelved for the season...any knew news on his health?

ETA:

The Rockets issued a news release that says Tracy McGrady's MRI revealed no change in his injured left knee.

However, a report by Houston's Local 2 television station suggests that T-Mac needs season-ending microfracture surgery on the knee, and McGrady still says his knee injury is very serious in nature. "For everybody that thought I was just playing with some (imaginary) knee injury, my (injury) is real," he said. "It’s big. It’s not just some pain. I have a real significant problem with my knee." He's doing everything he can to be shut down for the rest of the season, but the Rockets are not playing along. In any case, plan on benching T-Mac until further notice.

:unsure:

I've been saying that for over a year but unfortunately there's a rumor that he may be shelved for the season...any knew news on his health?

last i read - which was earlier this week - mcgrady was saying there is something seriously wrong with knee but he somehow hoped to be playing soon.

:disinformation:

ONeal is a huge upgrade for the over the guy they have been starting - Joey something or another. It was so useless that it was like playing 4-on-5. ONeal just needs to somehow stay healthy. A tall order, I know, but the dearth of big men in the league means you will overpay. Marion was ineffectual for them, so why not give it a go?
Because O'Neal is owed a TON of money next year. And Marion comes off the books. Does this move make them better than Orlando or Cleveland or Boston? No.I guess I wouldn't beat them up too much for it. If you have a healthy DWade, you feel like you can make some waves. Getting him any sort of help probably gives you hope for a 'run'. I just think it's fools gold they just bought.

Calderon

Parker

Marion

Bosh

Bargnani

:championship: :1stroundexit:

But they won't pay O'Neal $18 million or whatever next year. And Marion will be gone. They can re-sign Bosh, or at least give it a legit shot. Good long term move...but does nothing for them right now.
It helps them this year but they have a long way to comeback to make the playoffs. Their schedule down the stretch is really soft which helps.

O'Neal is black-hole once he gets the ball. When the ball goes to him in the post, a shot is going up. The only thing he brought to the team was good D. He completely hampered the offense. And Moon... well he is just crap. The guy is allergic to the rim and thinks he is a 3 point shooter. I've never seen someone take so many 3's with so much time left on the clock. Getting rid of those 2 means more minutes for Bosh/Bargnani.

His D has been great. Not sure whether it is because of O'Neal or not, but Bargnani turned into a solid defensive player this. It definitely couldn't hurt Beasley and it'll let Wade cheat even more because he has a great shot blocker behind him.

:goodposting:

ETA:

The Rockets issued a news release that says Tracy McGrady's MRI revealed no change in his injured left knee.

However, a report by Houston's Local 2 television station suggests that T-Mac needs season-ending microfracture surgery on the knee, and McGrady still says his knee injury is very serious in nature. "For everybody that thought I was just playing with some (imaginary) knee injury, my (injury) is real," he said. "It’s big. It’s not just some pain. I have a real significant problem with my knee." He's doing everything he can to be shut down for the rest of the season, but the Rockets are not playing along. In any case, plan on benching T-Mac until further notice.

Isn't it amazing to think that McGrady, Kobe, and Garnett are essentially the same age and while two of them are essentially in their prime, the sun is setting - and quickly - on the one that happens to be on my favorite team.

Because O'Neal is owed a TON of money next year. And Marion comes off the books. Does this move make them better than Orlando or Cleveland or Boston? No.I guess I wouldn't beat them up too much for it. If you have a healthy DWade, you feel like you can make some waves. Getting him any sort of help probably gives you hope for a 'run'. I just think it's fools gold they just bought.

I think the margin between Miami and Orlando will narrow some. The loss of Nelson is significant. The Heat should be a lock for the post-season now. That's all you can hope for. Yes, O'Neal is owed $20m next year but he's a capable defender and should improve their interior considerably. He's not going to need to score much with guys like Wade, Beasley, Chalmers et al around him.

Because O'Neal is owed a TON of money next year. And Marion comes off the books. Does this move make them better than Orlando or Cleveland or Boston? No.

I guess I wouldn't beat them up too much for it. If you have a healthy DWade, you feel like you can make some waves. Getting him any sort of help probably gives you hope for a 'run'. I just think it's fools gold they just bought.

I think the margin between Miami and Orlando will narrow some. The loss of Nelson is significant. The Heat should be a lock for the post-season now. That's all you can hope for. Yes, O'Neal is owed $20m next year but he's a capable defender and should improve their interior considerably. He's not going to need to score much with guys like Wade, Beasley, Chalmers et al around him.
He'll sure as hell try though!

Because O'Neal is owed a TON of money next year. And Marion comes off the books. Does this move make them better than Orlando or Cleveland or Boston? No.

I guess I wouldn't beat them up too much for it. If you have a healthy DWade, you feel like you can make some waves. Getting him any sort of help probably gives you hope for a 'run'. I just think it's fools gold they just bought.

He'll sure as hell try though!
:goodposting:

Looks like Miami is out of the running for Amare. If he's traded, it's looking more and more like it will be to the Bulls.

If true, I look forward to his daily interactions with coach Vinny Del Negro. Most of the Bulls seem to just ignore the guy. Management let's them get away with it too. High comedy on the horizon if the deal goes down.

Looks like Miami is out of the running for Amare. If he's traded, it's looking more and more like it will be to the Bulls.

If true, I look forward to his daily interactions with coach Vinny Del Negro. Most of the Bulls seem to just ignore the guy. Management let's them get away with it too. High comedy on the horizon if the deal goes down.
Vinny won't be around next year so it wouldn't matter in the long run.

heck, according to some folks, paxson won't be around either.

heck, according to some folks, paxson won't be around either.
Yes, probably true.

NBA rumors swirl about Cleveland Cavaliers having a chance to get Amar'e Stoudemire

by Brian Windhorst/Plain Dealer Reporter

Friday February 13, 2009, 8:40 PM

The rumor mill surrounding the NBA trade market exploded Friday following the first major trade of deadline season with Shawn Marion moving from Miami to Toronto for Jermaine O'Neal.

In its wake, several media outlets, including ESPN, hinted the Cavs have emerged as contenders for the Phoenix Suns' Amar'e Stoudemire.

According to multiple league sources, the Cavs have indeed had talks with the Suns since Stoudemire became available and have discussed various packages that would work, including expiring contracts, draft picks, cash and young players, namely rookie J.J. Hickson.

However, the Cavs still aren't sure they truly want to alter their chemistry and also believe there are other teams offering the Suns more attractive packages. At this point, team officials believe such a deal has a very slim chance of happening for both of these reasons.

Suns GM Steve Kerr has said publicly that the team has not made a firm decision on whether to trade Stoudemire. Because of All-Star Weekend, there will be no transactions permitted until next week.

Link

NBA rumors swirl about Cleveland Cavaliers having a chance to get Amar'e Stoudemire

The rumor mill surrounding the NBA trade market exploded Friday following the first major trade of deadline season with Shawn Marion moving from Miami to Toronto for Jermaine O'Neal.

In its wake, several media outlets, including ESPN, hinted the Cavs have emerged as contenders for the Phoenix Suns' Amar'e Stoudemire.

According to multiple league sources, the Cavs have indeed had talks with the Suns since Stoudemire became available and have discussed various packages that would work, including expiring contracts, draft picks, cash and young players, namely rookie J.J. Hickson.

However, the Cavs still aren't sure they truly want to alter their chemistry and also believe there are other teams offering the Suns more attractive packages. At this point, team officials believe such a deal has a very slim chance of happening for both of these reasons.

Suns GM Steve Kerr has said publicly that the team has not made a firm decision on whether to trade Stoudemire. Because of All-Star Weekend, there will be no transactions permitted until next week.

Link
Why would the Suns make that deal with the Cavs? If they are going to make a deal, the Bulls seem like a great trading partner. They have some good young talent on that roster. Or the Blazers who have a ton of young talent.

Link
This scares the hell out of me as a Laker fan. The other rumored deal that would be scary is Rasheed to the Spurs.

Kerr probably won't have a job much longer, but I'd put him close to Isiah territory if he parts with Amare in that Cav deal. (even if Sarver's desperate to avoid paying the luxury tax). Like Isiah, there's even talk now he'll (Kerr) come from the front office to replace Porter.

Stating you want Nash long term and a center piece is head scratching to say the least. Nash hasn't attempted defense since he's arrived here & he's already 35. He's a free agent after the 09-10 season -- how much do you think he'll have left at 36 going on 37. :thumbup:

If they do anything, I'd find Nash's eventual replacement (hell they haven't been able to find a PG off the bench to give Nash rest for what seems like a decade now).

I'd go with a Bulls or Grizz package (headlined by Ty Thomas or Mike Conley). Has JJ Hickson shown anything yet?

Kerr probably won't have a job much longer, but I'd put him close to Isiah territory if he parts with Amare in that Cav deal. (even if Sarver's desperate to avoid paying the luxury tax). Like Isiah, there's even talk now he'll (Kerr) come from the front office to replace Porter.Stating you want Nash long term and a center piece is head scratching to say the least. Nash hasn't attempted defense since he's arrived here & he's already 35. He's a free agent after the 09-10 season -- how much do you think he'll have left at 36 going on 37. :thumbup:If they do anything, I'd find Nash's eventual replacement (hell they haven't been able to find a PG off the bench to give Nash rest for what seems like a decade now). I'd go with a Bulls or Grizz package (headlined by Ty Thomas or Mike Conley). Has JJ Hickson shown anything yet?

I actually think they should trade the big 3 they have there currently in Shaq, Stoudamire, and Nash, Stoudamire is an unbelievable talent but I struggle to think of another 4 that is a worse defender. I mean horrible. Lets players go right by him. The Suns can actually come out of this with a ton of young solid talent that gives them a much better chance in the future.

Kerr probably won't have a job much longer, but I'd put him close to Isiah territory if he parts with Amare in that Cav deal. (even if Sarver's desperate to avoid paying the luxury tax). Like Isiah, there's even talk now he'll (Kerr) come from the front office to replace Porter.Stating you want Nash long term and a center piece is head scratching to say the least. Nash hasn't attempted defense since he's arrived here & he's already 35. He's a free agent after the 09-10 season -- how much do you think he'll have left at 36 going on 37. :thumbup:If they do anything, I'd find Nash's eventual replacement (hell they haven't been able to find a PG off the bench to give Nash rest for what seems like a decade now). I'd go with a Bulls or Grizz package (headlined by Ty Thomas or Mike Conley). Has JJ Hickson shown anything yet?

When has Amare attempted defense? What's funniest is that there isn't any talk of getting rid of the one person they should get rid of, namely Shaq. Not sure if that's just cause there's no interest but he's the one they should be trying to dump. And if I were Cleveland, he's the one I'd be going after. I think he'd give them a better chance at a championship than Amare would. In the short term, of course.

When has Amare attempted defense? What's funniest is that there isn't any talk of getting rid of the one person they should get rid of, namely Shaq. Not sure if that's just cause there's no interest but he's the one they should be trying to dump. And if I were Cleveland, he's the one I'd be going after. I think he'd give them a better chance at a championship than Amare would. In the short term, of course.
I have read in some places they are looking to trade Amare and Shaq. And I think Shaq would have a ton of value. I just don't see the Cavs having anything to give in return. Anything. Obviously to make salaries work they would have to make Wally part of the deal, but what young talent do they have? Hickson? Not nearly enough.

Kerr probably won't have a job much longer, but I'd put him close to Isiah territory if he parts with Amare in that Cav deal. (even if Sarver's desperate to avoid paying the luxury tax). Like Isiah, there's even talk now he'll (Kerr) come from the front office to replace Porter.Stating you want Nash long term and a center piece is head scratching to say the least. Nash hasn't attempted defense since he's arrived here & he's already 35. He's a free agent after the 09-10 season -- how much do you think he'll have left at 36 going on 37. :confused:If they do anything, I'd find Nash's eventual replacement (hell they haven't been able to find a PG off the bench to give Nash rest for what seems like a decade now). I'd go with a Bulls or Grizz package (headlined by Ty Thomas or Mike Conley). Has JJ Hickson shown anything yet?

I actually think they should trade the big 3 they have there currently in Shaq, Stoudamire, and Nash, Stoudamire is an unbelievable talent but I struggle to think of another 4 that is a worse defender. I mean horrible. Lets players go right by him. The Suns can actually come out of this with a ton of young solid talent that gives them a much better chance in the future.
I wouldn't be opposed at all. All the trade talk going on here is all financially motivated (luxury tax), but this team never listened to Porter (can him).I don't think they'll find a taker for Shaq (IMO the guy playing the best of the 3 this year). From everything I've heard/read here, Nash isn't going anywhere -- I certainly wouldn't be opposed to it as I've long tired of his 1 end of the court play). You're absolutely right on Amare. I just don't think he's a guy you can let go solely based on financial reasons. (You've got to get a starting caliber player in return -- one with some potential. I think you can get that + cap room or pick for Amare.

Kerr probably won't have a job much longer, but I'd put him close to Isiah territory if he parts with Amare in that Cav deal. (even if Sarver's desperate to avoid paying the luxury tax). Like Isiah, there's even talk now he'll (Kerr) come from the front office to replace Porter.Stating you want Nash long term and a center piece is head scratching to say the least. Nash hasn't attempted defense since he's arrived here & he's already 35. He's a free agent after the 09-10 season -- how much do you think he'll have left at 36 going on 37. :confused:If they do anything, I'd find Nash's eventual replacement (hell they haven't been able to find a PG off the bench to give Nash rest for what seems like a decade now). I'd go with a Bulls or Grizz package (headlined by Ty Thomas or Mike Conley). Has JJ Hickson shown anything yet?

If dumping him is feasible, Shaq would be dealt. I don't see Clev as a possible suitor with Z & Wallace....along with Shaq clogging the lane for LeBron. Amare isn't good on defense either, but this team is rebuilding...Nash/Shaq should be the first to go (latter I don't think they're any suitors, the former could be dealt, but there's no talk about him going anywhere. If anything, there's only been extension talk). They should be dealt in this order:1) Shaq2) Nash 3) AmareProblem is, teams desire to add them is:1) Amare2) Nash3) Shaq

I wouldn't be opposed at all. All the trade talk going on here is all financially motivated (luxury tax), but this team never listened to Porter (can him).I don't think they'll find a taker for Shaq (IMO the guy playing the best of the 3 this year). From everything I've heard/read here, Nash isn't going anywhere -- I certainly wouldn't be opposed to it as I've long tired of his 1 end of the court play). You're absolutely right on Amare. I just don't think he's a guy you can let go solely based on financial reasons. (You've got to get a starting caliber player in return -- one with some potential. I think you can get that + cap room or pick for Amare.
Oh, they should definitely be able to get quite a bit for Amare. Young players and/or draft picks and/or cap relief. There is a huge demand for him. As for Shaq, there is most certainly going to be a market for him. He is playing great basketball, and can help a team out tremendously. And Nash still has a lot of value as there is always great demand for playmaking veteran point guards. There are a ton of teams who could use him. I know the Blazers would be wary of this, but if they could get Lamarcus Aldridge and Rudy Fernandez for Amare, the Suns should jump at that deal.

Oh, they should definitely be able to get quite a bit for Amare. Young players and/or draft picks and/or cap relief. There is a huge demand for him. As for Shaq, there is most certainly going to be a market for him. He is playing great basketball, and can help a team out tremendously. And Nash still has a lot of value as there is always great demand for playmaking veteran point guards. There are a ton of teams who could use him. I know the Blazers would be wary of this, but if they could get Lamarcus Aldridge and Rudy Fernandez for Amare, the Suns should jump at that deal.

No doubt Shaq can help a lot of teams. The killer is that contract is this market. Even as well as he's playing, I don't see someone taking on that contract. Maybe I'll be wrong on that one.Azcentral.com had a big article on trade scenarios. That Portland one was mentioned I believe. It was one of my favorite scenarios. (Actually I think it was Bayless & not Fernandez, but I'd take either)

Agreed. If I were the Blazers, I'd look at Oden's gimpy knee and Amare's knee and be VERY wary - but if they can both stay healthy, that's not a bad combo to have.

Archived