Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Computer help

Guy's computer at work shuts off almost immediately after powering on. I''m talking pushing the power button, screen pops up on the monitor, then shuts off completely. No beeps, no nothing.

Googling it now, but in the meantime.......

TIA guys.....

Really only one of 3 things:

Dead power supply

Dead CPU fan (would have a beep code usually)

Blown capacitors.

When you are about the clean out the inside, look at the capacitors and see if any of them are leaking, or bulging at the top

Really only one of 3 things:

Dead power supply

Dead CPU fan (would have a beep code usually)

Blown capacitors.

When you are about the clean out the inside, look at the capacitors and see if any of them are leaking, or bulging at the top

My vote on the bolded. Possibly bad mobo (which blown capacitors technically is but other stuff too).

Ok guys, shockingly, the can of air soft didn't correct the problem. :thumbup:

I'm more then handy when it comes to computers, but it's been about 10 years since I was up to date.

What do I need to find out to replace his PS? And if I can just buy some random PS? Where, link?

Thanks again, in advance.

Ok guys, shockingly, the can of air soft didn't correct the problem. :thumbup: I'm more then handy when it comes to computers, but it's been about 10 years since I was up to date.What do I need to find out to replace his PS? And if I can just buy some random PS? Where, link?Thanks again, in advance.

Pull the PS out. Get a model number. Google for a replacement.

Is it a pretty standard, office-use computer? Are there any special power needs such as a high-end graphics card? (doubting it but have to ask)

Opened it up and it's filthy. Looks like it's been in a sandstorm there is so much dust. I'm going to Staples to get some compressed air and clean it out.

The dust is probably causing 1 of 2 things:1 - preventing certain connections from firing2 - the power supply is caked with dust and the fan is having trouble spinningMake sure to clean out ALL the dust -- especially the dust inside the power supply.

Ok guys, shockingly, the can of air soft didn't correct the problem. :thumbup: I'm more then handy when it comes to computers, but it's been about 10 years since I was up to date.What do I need to find out to replace his PS? And if I can just buy some random PS? Where, link?Thanks again, in advance.

I am gonna bet we can get a cheaper AND more reliable PSU replacement at the Egg is we know what is in there now.

I am gonna bet we can get a cheaper AND more reliable PSU replacement at the Egg is we know what is in there now.
Probably. Just "safer" in some cases to go with a like replacement. But if he can get the model number someone could look it up, get the wattage and form factor and find a suitable replacement. Guess too I should have been a little more detailed. Say it's a Dell. Don't buy a new one from Dell. Why pay more. Get a "compatible" PS from one of the online retailers like Newegg or Tiger Direct.My big order is coming in today. Been trying to lead the boy on. "You order it yet?" Nah, still doing research. :D Bday in 2 days.

Ok guys, shockingly, the can of air soft didn't correct the problem. :kicksrock: I'm more then handy when it comes to computers, but it's been about 10 years since I was up to date.What do I need to find out to replace his PS? And if I can just buy some random PS? Where, link?Thanks again, in advance.

Wow,You guys are making this way too complicated.Unless this a a major gaming/graphics machine, you can go to any local computer store and get a generic 450 watt or better PSU for very cheap. I bought 3 today, as I always keep them in stock for my home business...the Okio (sp) 450 watts cost me 16.00 each.The big difference is if the hardware is all SATA, then you need a sata compatible PSU

Ok guys, shockingly, the can of air soft didn't correct the problem. :popcorn: I'm more then handy when it comes to computers, but it's been about 10 years since I was up to date.What do I need to find out to replace his PS? And if I can just buy some random PS? Where, link?Thanks again, in advance.

Wow,You guys are making this way too complicated.Unless this a a major gaming/graphics machine, you can go to any local computer store and get a generic 450 watt or better PSU for very cheap. I bought 3 today, as I always keep them in stock for my home business...the Okio (sp) 450 watts cost me 16.00 each.The big difference is if the hardware is all SATA, then you need a sata compatible PSU
My only concern Parm is form-factor. There are some crazy PSU's out there, and while mostly he would be OK, he might also get a standard PSU that will not fit, which is pretty common it seems in business computers, especially older ones.

My only concern Parm is form-factor. There are some crazy PSU's out there, and while mostly he would be OK, he might also get a standard PSU that will not fit, which is pretty common it seems in business computers, especially older ones.
Exactly. That's what I was alluding to when I said "Just "safer" in some cases to go with a like replacement."

Ok guys, shockingly, the can of air soft didn't correct the problem. :rant: I'm more then handy when it comes to computers, but it's been about 10 years since I was up to date.What do I need to find out to replace his PS? And if I can just buy some random PS? Where, link?Thanks again, in advance.

Agreed....The only PSU that I have ever ordered special was a Dell Micro ATX....brutal to find

Archived