What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (2 Viewers)

Had a bunch of friends over yesterday. After the NFL games were over we fired up my Wii and played what was probably the most entertaining 12 inning game of RBI baseball in my life, followed by a gaggle of old games like Tecmo Super Bowl, Ring King, Pro Wrestling, Ice Hockey, Baseball Stars and a run through Contra - co-op style including the old Konami code getting used. that's how us 34-42 year olds roooollll !!!!
:hifive: :banned: LOVE when this happens. Me and my buddies tend to fire up my old NES every 2-3 years or so, and we always have a blast. Those games you named are pretty much the exact same ones we play.

Forza 4 for xbox.

Never got into driving games much, but this one is fantastic. Looking forward to the multiplayer aspect of it.

Had a bunch of friends over yesterday. After the NFL games were over we fired up my Wii and played what was probably the most entertaining 12 inning game of RBI baseball in my life, followed by a gaggle of old games like Tecmo Super Bowl, Ring King, Pro Wrestling, Ice Hockey, Baseball Stars and a run through Contra - co-op style including the old Konami code getting used. that's how us 34-42 year olds roooollll !!!!
:hifive: :banned: LOVE when this happens. Me and my buddies tend to fire up my old NES every 2-3 years or so, and we always have a blast. Those games you named are pretty much the exact same ones we play.
So the excite bike on my WII freezes on load now. Can I delete it and redownload it?

My wife and I have had a Wii for awhile, but just recently got a PS3. Are there any recommendations as to a good 2-person game for the PS3 (not involving online-multiplayer)? My wife and I often played Wii games together, such as "drunk" Mario Kart, but the PS3 2-player options that I'm finding are mostly limited to sports games, which don't interest my wife as much.

My wife and I have had a Wii for awhile, but just recently got a PS3. Are there any recommendations as to a good 2-person game for the PS3 (not involving online-multiplayer)? My wife and I often played Wii games together, such as "drunk" Mario Kart, but the PS3 2-player options that I'm finding are mostly limited to sports games, which don't interest my wife as much.
I assume you're looking for split-screen modes that you can play on the couch with another player? Those are sort of hard to come by these days. Two that I would recommend are:
[*]ModNation Racers -- A cart-racing game similar to Maria Kart. You can download user-created tracks for free.

[*]Motorstorm Pacific Rift -- Off-road racing. Should be able to get this dirt cheap since it's been out for a few years.

[*]Uncharted 3 -- I'm normally not a big fan of co-op shooters, but my son and I have had a fun time with this one. We found the few co-op levels we played to be pretty challenging.

Personally, I have a hard time playing split-screen because everything is so much smaller than what I'm used to. I feel like I have to sit right in front of my 60" tv to see what's going on. But these are at least worth the hassle of adjusting.

I assume you're looking for split-screen modes that you can play on the couch with another player? Those are sort of hard to come by these days. Two that I would recommend are:
[*]ModNation Racers -- A cart-racing game similar to Maria Kart. You can download user-created tracks for free.

[*]Motorstorm Pacific Rift -- Off-road racing. Should be able to get this dirt cheap since it's been out for a few years.

[*]Uncharted 3 -- I'm normally not a big fan of co-op shooters, but my son and I have had a fun time with this one. We found the few co-op levels we played to be pretty challenging.

Personally, I have a hard time playing split-screen because everything is so much smaller than what I'm used to. I feel like I have to sit right in front of my 60" tv to see what's going on. But these are at least worth the hassle of adjusting.
Yep, that's what I am looking for. Thanks. I actually just ordered Uncharted 3 off Amazon yesterday and awaiting its arrival; it looked more like a single player from the reviews, but I'll have to give the 2-player mode a whirl. I'll take a look at the racing games that you mentioned too.

:goodposting: Not sure if you're wife is in to shooters at all.... but Borderlands is the best split-screen game I've played in the last few years.

I am sort of intrigued by all of the buzz over Mass Effect 3. But I don't want to get it if I haven't played ME2. And if I'm going to play ME2, shouldn't I also play ME1?

So, do I really need to play the first two games? And if I do, what kind of time commitment are we talking about?

:goodposting: Not sure if you're wife is in to shooters at all.... but Borderlands is the best split-screen game I've played in the last few years.
The game play split screen was great but managing your character in split screen sucked as the menus were not designed for it. You constantly had to pan back and forth just to look at simple things.

I am sort of intrigued by all of the buzz over Mass Effect 3. But I don't want to get it if I haven't played ME2. And if I'm going to play ME2, shouldn't I also play ME1? So, do I really need to play the first two games? And if I do, what kind of time commitment are we talking about?
Yes, and those are two of the top 10 games made for Xbox (top 5 as far as I'm concerned), so it won't exactly be a waste of time. You could run through each in about 25-30 hours if you just want to get up to speed for ME 3 and don't get bogged down in side quests.

I am sort of intrigued by all of the buzz over Mass Effect 3. But I don't want to get it if I haven't played ME2. And if I'm going to play ME2, shouldn't I also play ME1? So, do I really need to play the first two games? And if I do, what kind of time commitment are we talking about?
Yes, and those are two of the top 10 games made for Xbox (top 5 as far as I'm concerned), so it won't exactly be a waste of time. You could run through each in about 25-30 hours if you just want to get up to speed for ME 3 and don't get bogged down in side quests.
Its funny that I could not get through ME1 so I never bothered with 2. I love RPGs however I did not like the mechanics at all, it felt very clunky to me.

Its funny that I could not get through ME1 so I never bothered with 2. I love RPGs however I did not like the mechanics at all, it felt very clunky to me.
The mechanics are completely different in ME2 vs ME1. Some loved that and some hated it. Both are still excellent games and I couldn't imagine playing 3 before the first two. Especially since your game accomplishments all carry over.

I am sort of intrigued by all of the buzz over Mass Effect 3. But I don't want to get it if I haven't played ME2. And if I'm going to play ME2, shouldn't I also play ME1?

So, do I really need to play the first two games? And if I do, what kind of time commitment are we talking about?
The mechanics are completely different in ME2 vs ME1. Some loved that and some hated it. Both are still excellent games and I couldn't imagine playing 3 before the first two. Especially since your game accomplishments all carry over.
Carrying over the game accomplishments is really a nice touch that I'd like to take advantage of. But the 25-30 hours time commitment for each game is a bit steep for me.

Carrying over the game accomplishments is really a nice touch that I'd like to take advantage of. But the 25-30 hours time commitment for each game is a bit steep for me.
1 was a hot mess and I HATED it. I really tried to like it, but some of the missions, specifically the vehicle missions were LOOOONG and tedious. The controls were also very clunky.

The second game was one of the best games I have ever played and is worth a visit. It was everything good from 1, minus the crap. The only minor gripe is they dumbed down the leveling/weapon system.

1 was a hot mess and I HATED it. I really tried to like it, but some of the missions, specifically the vehicle missions were LOOOONG and tedious. The controls were also very clunky.

The second game was one of the best games I have ever played and is worth a visit. It was everything good from 1, minus the crap. The only minor gripe is they dumbed down the leveling/weapon system.
I hated the original leveling/weapon system, picking up different types of ammo and changing ammo types was what I felt was uberly tedious in ME1. Being able to change ammo types mid-fight in ME2 and being able to pick up ammo from dead enemies makes for a way smoother playing experience imo. I kind of enjoyed driving around in ME1, but no doubt it took a good deal of time. If OC Zed has a PS3, he could buy ME2 and just do the comic thingamajig for ME1 to get the storyline from that. I believe they also may have made the comic thing available to Xbox users as well, although I don't think it's free.

I hated the original leveling/weapon system, picking up different types of ammo and changing ammo types was what I felt was uberly tedious in ME1. Being able to change ammo types mid-fight in ME2 and being able to pick up ammo from dead enemies makes for a way smoother playing experience imo. I kind of enjoyed driving around in ME1, but no doubt it took a good deal of time. If OC Zed has a PS3, he could buy ME2 and just do the comic thingamajig for ME1 to get the storyline from that. I believe they also may have made the comic thing available to Xbox users as well, although I don't think it's free.
Good stuff. Thanks, Gents. :thumbup:

FWIW, I never played ME1 and didn't feel like it was a big liability when I played ME2. That was the PS3 version with the comic. It does a good enough job getting you up to speed on what's going on.

I at least recommend buying and playing the second one first. But if you don't play through the first, download the DLC that allows you to see the first game through a comic book where you can make the crucial decisions that carry over. The DLC is called "Genesis" and costs 320 Microsoft Points/Bioware Points on PC. "Genesis" is already included with the PS3 version of the game, since there was never a Mass Effect 1 for the PS3. [QUOTE='Genesis DLC description]This digital comic back-story was created by BioWare and Dark Horse comics. The 15 minute interactive experience allows you to make the key choices of Mass Effect 1. This retelling will also let you have those choices reflected during Mass Effect 2.
[/QUOTE]edit: I see this was mentioned. Hopefully, this gave a bit of extra info.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously behind on the times, but I broke down and bought my son and I an XBox 360 with Kinnect last week. Only have the game that came with it and Wipeout (which is hysterical), and broke down and bought MAdden 12 for myself since I haven't played anything but Madden 09 the past few years.

Is it just me or is defense in this game ridiculous and stupid? I can rush to 150 every game but couldn't throw a simple pass, let alone anything fun or deep, if my life depended on it. And the CPU LB's! Man, those guys have super powers. I swear they jump 50 video game feet in the air to tip everything.

I used to really be into baseball games and would like to start playing again. Does anyone have experience with the MLB 2k?? series (I haven't looked through this thread)?

I have 360 so I know there aren't many baseball games.

Looking to get 2k12 when it is released in March. Any thoughts?

FWIW, I never played ME1 and didn't feel like it was a big liability when I played ME2. That was the PS3 version with the comic. It does a good enough job getting you up to speed on what's going on.
Agreed. I just started ME2 two days ago. First time ever playing this game. totally love it and i am only 2 hours in. Truly great game and when i am done with it it may push Skyrim and both Batman games as my fav's for this gen.Anyway here is my current rotation:Non Sports:Mass Effect 2 - read aboveBatman AC - 40% completeSkyrim - 170 plus hours in and still loving itSports:NBA2K11 - year three Heat Association (I play all 82 games BTW)Madden 12 - Year 3 Dolphins FranchiseThe Show 11 - year 2 1987 franchise roster set with full minor leagues as well New York Yankees.

FEAR 3 - Not liking it but will finish it because I loved the previous two.

RAGE - The graphics are outstanding, but the missions get repetitive and the story line is not that great. Note: I have not finished it yet.

I used to really be into baseball games and would like to start playing again. Does anyone have experience with the MLB 2k?? series (I haven't looked through this thread)? I have 360 so I know there aren't many baseball games.Looking to get 2k12 when it is released in March. Any thoughts?
I'm sure it is better now but I bought a PS3 strictly for the Show I was tired of MLB2k

Seriously behind on the times, but I broke down and bought my son and I an XBox 360 with Kinnect last week. Only have the game that came with it and Wipeout (which is hysterical), and broke down and bought MAdden 12 for myself since I haven't played anything but Madden 09 the past few years.Is it just me or is defense in this game ridiculous and stupid? I can rush to 150 every game but couldn't throw a simple pass, let alone anything fun or deep, if my life depended on it. And the CPU LB's! Man, those guys have super powers. I swear they jump 50 video game feet in the air to tip everything.
Madden 09 (and 10) were probably the last good Maddens. I can't say enough how much I wish 2K were still making football games.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning released today to really good reviews. It's penned by RA Salvatore, the famous fantasy writer. Any Skyrim guys planning on checking it out?

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning released today to really good reviews. It's penned by RA Salvatore, the famous fantasy writer. Any Skyrim guys planning on checking it out?
Haven't even heard of it? What style game is it? Big fan of Drizzt (or Driz'zt or whatever)

Have the demo and the game. Not a huge fan of the graphics so far, much more cartoony bright vibrant colors than Skyrim, but the gameplay is a lot of fun. Combat is better than Skyrim based on the little bit I have played so far. Going to play the demo a bit more and decide if I want to keep or return the game.

One of the best (hopefully the third one as well) game series ever....and a really good sci fi story as well.

Haven't even heard of it? What style game is it? Big fan of Drizzt (or Driz'zt or whatever)
It is the first game developed from 38 Studios owned by Curt Schilling.It brings together the following talents:RA Salvatore wrote the storyTodd McFarlane (creator of spawn) oversaw the art workand most importantly Ken Rolston is the games executive designer and he was the lead designer for both Morrowwind and Oblivion.38 Studio's office space was downstairs from my last job before I retired, in Maynard Mass. I would often pass some of these guys in the hallway. Pretty cool so much talent focusing on one project.

It is the first game developed from 38 Studios owned by Curt Schilling.It brings together the following talents:RA Salvatore wrote the storyTodd McFarlane (creator of spawn) oversaw the art workand most importantly Ken Rolston is the games executive designer and he was the lead designer for both Morrowwind and Oblivion.38 Studio's office space was downstairs from my last job before I retired, in Maynard Mass. I would often pass some of these guys in the hallway. Pretty cool so much talent focusing on one project.
It got a 9.0 rating from IGN. They said it will be in the discussion for game of the year. It looks like a great game and I am going to get it but I don't know how I am going to find the time to do that, Skyrim and the usual sports games I like to play.

It got a 9.0 rating from IGN. They said it will be in the discussion for game of the year. It looks like a great game and I am going to get it but I don't know how I am going to find the time to do that, Skyrim and the usual sports games I like to play.
I just started Skyrim so I am hoping that once I finish it, Kingdoms will come down and price and kill some time before Borderlands 2 comes out.

Interesting, the headline on Gamespot is "Generic story and characters."
IGN 9/10
CLOSING COMMENTS

I'll come right out and say it: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning will be discussed when Game of the Year 2012 rolls around. It has brought the conversation about what combat can be in the role-playing genre to the forefront and sets the bar exceptionally high for its future contemporaries in the genre. But don't let its competition-shaming gameplay lull you into think that that's all this game has to offer, because that's just gloss on an overall package that's bound to impress the RPG faithful.
:shrug:

Interesting, the headline on Gamespot is "Generic story and characters."
IGN 9/10
CLOSING COMMENTS

I'll come right out and say it: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning will be discussed when Game of the Year 2012 rolls around. It has brought the conversation about what combat can be in the role-playing genre to the forefront and sets the bar exceptionally high for its future contemporaries in the genre. But don't let its competition-shaming gameplay lull you into think that that's all this game has to offer, because that's just gloss on an overall package that's bound to impress the RPG faithful.
:shrug:
Your quote doesn't really address the story aspect. Here are Gamespot's closing comments in more context:
How much you love Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning depends on what you look for in a role-playing game. Let's say you long for a pervasive sense of time and place, for a great story featuring memorable characters, or for varied quests given weight by superb context. If that's you, then Kingdoms of Amalur will disappoint. Then again, you might want wonderful battles against cool creatures, terrific looting and leveling, and lots of ways to customize your skills and equipment. If so, then this is the world you should inhabit. The context is hardly inspired, but you'll be having so much fun that you may not care.

Uncharted 2 was terrific. And in a strange coincidence of interest only to me - the actors who play Nathan and Elena have the same first names as my kids. Weird.

The only question is...Elena or Chloe?

Mass Effect 2 is seriously an amazing game. It has it all.

Skyrim if officially on a long hiatus.

Wow I can't believe it took me this long to play:

Dead Space 1 and 2 (played both this past year)

Borderlands

Mass Effect 2

And I still have yet to get to:

Bioshock

Uncharted 1-3

I started ME2 last week, but only had the chance to get through the comic book intro (sloppy setup into that, BTW... typical EA) and a couple checkpoints. The comic book was a great device for folks like me. This should be standard for all sequel games going forward.

Anyways, I chose the soldier class because I figured I like shooting although the shooting mechanics don't feel as tight to me as traditional shooters (I guess I shouldn't be surprised, but still). Should I have gone with a different class?

Users who are viewing this thread