What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (12 Viewers)

ME is substantially less work than FO and can also be paused so you can give squadmates orders. Might try running through that series again on easy mode. ME easily has the best story of any RPG from last gen, and is also way more "on rails" than most RPGs.
I didn't like having to pause to give squadmates orders. I always preferred the "old school" turn system where every person in your group automatically had their own turn. I know that sounds nitpicky, but it really affected how I enjoyed the game. I also get why some might think my preference is "clunkier."

As for the story, I've heard great things about ME. I guess I just couldn't get into it.
For true turn based RPGs not named final fantasy you probably need to go back to the 1990s. KOTOR is also essentially turn based although it sort of plays out in real time.

Re the ME story, if you just jumped into ME3, you didn't really give it a fair shot, IMO. (See discussion on the last page about trying ME1)

Sort of a segway here, but I find it interesting to see how gaming trends come and go. 15-20 years ago, RPGs had minimal open world exploration and primarily featured turn-based combat (see Final Fantasy VII). Today, the term "RPG" seems to include everything under the sun outside of Call of Duty and nothing is turn-based and everything has to have tons of open world exploration.

I played and finished Fallout 3, but didn't put more than a few hours into Mass Effect 3 (I didn't try the first two installments of ME). I stuck with Fallout 3 due to its featuring of some turn-based combat elements - instead of having to do everything on the fly - and because the story was interesting enough. ME3 just struck me as being too big and being too much work to put in. And the controls felt clunkier than a traditional shooter, but still enough of a masher that I constantly had to be on top of the controller.

I don't mean to slam anyone that likes these games, just that it's interesting to see how preferences change over time for a lot of gamers. Personally, my gaming time is limited and my twitch reflexes as a middle-aged gamer aren't what they used to be, so I'd much rather have a gaming experience that delivers a great story and doesn't rely so much on how quickly I can hit the buttons. Give me a 15-20 hour single player experience with a fantastic story (even if it's a story that is "on rails") and that is accessible for players of all skill levels and I'm golden. I never really had much interest in replay value or just wandering for the sake of wandering. To each their own, I guess.
Both styles have been prevalent for a number of years. Some like to differentiate the two as Western Rpg and Japanese Rpg. Either way, both are still thriving.
Ya, I guess that is a good summation. I don't recall Western RPGs really existing (or at least being big) before 2000. Today, I don't think anyone here plays Japanese-style RPGs. I didn't play the last FF single player game (FFXIV?), but I understand that was an on-rails story, until the second-half of the game where it "opened up." And the American reviews all skewered the first half of the game.
SSI D&D games, Bard's Tale, Ultima in the C-64 era. Stonekeep, Might & Magic, Baldur's Gate, Farscape, Fallout 1 and 2 in the PC era. Now if you mean non-turn based RPGs, Stonekeep and early first person games like Eye of the Beholder go back well into the 90s

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Gotta admit, this is a fun game. I haven't spent much time digesting the story (fast click through almost all dialogue), I am not sure if it is because the story is average at best or if I am just "gamed out" but I don't care because the combat dynamics are absolutely a blast. Really some of the best combat I have experienced and I just don't want to deal with talking when there is fighting to be done. There is a ton of loot and the visuals are excellent too. What is cool is that it makes it very easy to reset all your skill points at any time. Want to play a straight spell caster? No problem. Feel like switching to a rogue/warrior or a sneak'n'snipe thief? Go for it. In the mood for playing as a battle mage? You're covered.

It's a a game designed for people who love fighting, looting, leveling and looking good while doing it.

Recommend.
I just picked this up and have been absolutely loving it. Nothing very ground-breaking, just very smooth good-looking graphics and simple to play.

ME is substantially less work than FO and can also be paused so you can give squadmates orders. Might try running through that series again on easy mode. ME easily has the best story of any RPG from last gen, and is also way more "on rails" than most RPGs.
I didn't like having to pause to give squadmates orders. I always preferred the "old school" turn system where every person in your group automatically had their own turn. I know that sounds nitpicky, but it really affected how I enjoyed the game. I also get why some might think my preference is "clunkier."

As for the story, I've heard great things about ME. I guess I just couldn't get into it.
For true turn based RPGs not named final fantasy you probably need to go back to the 1990s. KOTOR is also essentially turn based although it sort of plays out in real time.

Re the ME story, if you just jumped into ME3, you didn't really give it a fair shot, IMO. (See discussion on the last page about trying ME1)
FWIW, I thought KOTOR was fantastic... the best game I can recall from the original X-Box generation.

OC Zed said:
thecatch said:
OC Zed said:
thecatch said:

FWIW, I thought KOTOR was fantastic... the best game I can recall from the original X-Box generation.
Loved KOTOR

OC Zed said:
thecatch said:
OC Zed said:
thecatch said:

For true turn based RPGs not named final fantasy you probably need to go back to the 1990s. KOTOR is also essentially turn based although it sort of plays out in real time.Re the ME story, if you just jumped into ME3, you didn't really give it a fair shot, IMO. (See discussion on the last page about trying ME1)
Did you play dragon age 1? Bioware was still using a KOTOR type engine through that point.

Drifter said:
OC Zed said:
Insein said:
OC Zed said:
Sort of a segway here, but I find it interesting to see how gaming trends come and go. 15-20 years ago, RPGs had minimal open world exploration and primarily featured turn-based combat (see Final Fantasy VII). Today, the term "RPG" seems to include everything under the sun outside of Call of Duty and nothing is turn-based and everything has to have tons of open world exploration.

I played and finished Fallout 3, but didn't put more than a few hours into Mass Effect 3 (I didn't try the first two installments of ME). I stuck with Fallout 3 due to its featuring of some turn-based combat elements - instead of having to do everything on the fly - and because the story was interesting enough. ME3 just struck me as being too big and being too much work to put in. And the controls felt clunkier than a traditional shooter, but still enough of a masher that I constantly had to be on top of the controller.

I don't mean to slam anyone that likes these games, just that it's interesting to see how preferences change over time for a lot of gamers. Personally, my gaming time is limited and my twitch reflexes as a middle-aged gamer aren't what they used to be, so I'd much rather have a gaming experience that delivers a great story and doesn't rely so much on how quickly I can hit the buttons. Give me a 15-20 hour single player experience with a fantastic story (even if it's a story that is "on rails") and that is accessible for players of all skill levels and I'm golden. I never really had much interest in replay value or just wandering for the sake of wandering. To each their own, I guess.
Both styles have been prevalent for a number of years. Some like to differentiate the two as Western Rpg and Japanese Rpg. Either way, both are still thriving.
Ya, I guess that is a good summation. I don't recall Western RPGs really existing (or at least being big) before 2000. Today, I don't think anyone here plays Japanese-style RPGs. I didn't play the last FF single player game (FFXIV?), but I understand that was an on-rails story, until the second-half of the game where it "opened up." And the American reviews all skewered the first half of the game.
SSI D&D games, Bard's Tale, Ultima in the C-64 era. Stonekeep, Might & Magic, Baldur's Gate, Farscape, Fallout 1 and 2 in the PC era. Now if you mean non-turn based RPGs, Stonekeep and early first person games like Eye of the Beholder go back well into the 90s
This.

Drifter said:
OC Zed said:
Insein said:
OC Zed said:

This.
Ya, I forgot about the computer games in the late 80s and 90s. I knew about FO1 and 2, but I don't think they registered on a mass level like FO3. I remember Might & Magic and Ultima being pretty influential. Japanese RPGs seemed to be the only RPGs available on the consoles during this time (I'm not counting Might & Magic on the Genesis which didn't have much success).

WampusCat43 said:
Chaka said:

Gotta admit, this is a fun game. I haven't spent much time digesting the story (fast click through almost all dialogue), I am not sure if it is because the story is average at best or if I am just "gamed out" but I don't care because the combat dynamics are absolutely a blast. Really some of the best combat I have experienced and I just don't want to deal with talking when there is fighting to be done. There is a ton of loot and the visuals are excellent too. What is cool is that it makes it very easy to reset all your skill points at any time. Want to play a straight spell caster? No problem. Feel like switching to a rogue/warrior or a sneak'n'snipe thief? Go for it. In the mood for playing as a battle mage? You're covered.

It's a a game designed for people who love fighting, looting, leveling and looking good while doing it.

Recommend.
I just picked this up and have been absolutely loving it. Nothing very ground-breaking, just very smooth good-looking graphics and simple to play.
About 70 or so hours into this and enjoying it. Story lines aren't great, but the action is good. You can easily overpower the game though by crafting your own gear. But there seems to be enough here that it should appeal whatever it is you like out of a RPG (minus the story that is).

WampusCat43 said:
Chaka said:

Recommend.
I played that and while I thought it was pretty good, I couldn't help but think it's a MMORPG, only without the MP. A better game IMHO , is Dragon's Dogma:Dark Arisen. If I wasn't playing the Souls series right now I'd be playing this. Story is meh, being neither being exceptionally good or bad. Where this game shines is the battles and enemies. Some whom fill the screen and can be climbed similar to Shadow of the Colossus. It's probably just my own personal tastes but the enemies and their art direction are second to none.

Last edited by a moderator:
WampusCat43 said:
Chaka said:

Recommend.
About 70 or so hours into this and enjoying it. Story lines aren't great, but the action is good. You can easily overpower the game though by crafting your own gear. But there seems to be enough here that it should appeal whatever it is you like out of a RPG (minus the story that is).
I haven't done any crafting because the loot drops are so good I never felt the need, put my skill points into other disciplines so far (Detect hidden, Dispel, Sagecraft & now Stealth)

Well looks like I'll put ME series on my next list, starting with ME original on easy (Hi troll) for the backstory, and then diving into ME 2. Hope I can get addicted to something newer than FO3

WampusCat43 said:
Chaka said:

Recommend.
I haven't done any crafting because the loot drops are so good I never felt the need, put my skill points into other disciplines so far (Detect hidden, Dispel, Sagecraft & now Stealth)
I pimped Kingdoms of Amalur earlier in the thread. I really enjoyed it too. Solid RPG for those that don't need a deep story. I ranked it slightly behind Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen but Amalur stands on its own as a pretty fun game.

It is kind of ironic that the story is the least liked part of Amalur because they spent a ton of money for RA Salvatore to create a huge history of the universe and the detailed lore.

Last edited by a moderator:
johnjohn said:
As opposed to someone that doesn't deserve the title of gamer
You know, most folks play games for enjoyment. So whatever works for them. After all, it's their money and their time. But you can just never help yourself can you? You just have to apply a label to everything. It's pathetic.

One other note about Kingdoms, don't get fooled by the size like most do.

When looking at the map, you may feel the game is enormous by the 50% mark, but in reality you are closer to 75% done. The second 50% of the map has many less quests associated with it.

WampusCat43 said:
Chaka said:

Recommend.
I pimped Kingdoms of Amalur earlier in the thread. I really enjoyed it too. Solid RPG for those that don't need a deep story.I ranked it slightly behind Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen but Amalur stands on its own as a pretty fun game.

It is kind of ironic that the story is the least liked part of Amalur because they spent a ton of money for RA Salvatore to create a huge history of the universe and the detailed lore.
Dragons Dogma isn't an option for me, I play on a PC.

Now that I got the platinum for Dark Souls 2 (great game again as the 3rd in the series), I am thinking about restarting Path of Exile from scratch (I gave away everything the last time I played to a fellow FBG).

When looking at the map, you may feel the game is enormous by the 50% mark, but in reality you are closer to 75% done. The second 50% of the map has many less quests associated with it.
I kind of hope so. I have barely touched the main quest and have been banging out side quests left and right but there seems to be an inexhaustible supply of them. By the time I get back to the main quest I am probably going to be ridiculously overpowered, but I kind of think that is what this game is really all about.

I kind of hope so. I have barely touched the main quest and have been banging out side quests left and right but there seems to be an inexhaustible supply of them. By the time I get back to the main quest I am probably going to be ridiculously overpowered, but I kind of think that is what this game is really all about.
That is how I play every quest based RPG :) . Over leveling is one of my favorite aspects of these types of games.

It has been a while since I played but if memory serves, it was something like 75% spent on side stuff and 25% spent on main quest.

I think there sis something like 300 quests total you can do.

That is how I play every quest based RPG :) . Over leveling is one of my favorite aspects of these types of games.

It has been a while since I played but if memory serves, it was something like 75% spent on side stuff and 25% spent on main quest.

Yeah I typically play that way too. I love leveling but I also like to give myself an opportunity to train with the controls and combat dynamics of new games and side quests are the best proving grounds.

It certainly feels like it, which isn't bad.

Leveling seems to be slower than some others. Nothing wrong with that; it just seems a little...intimidating when some of the "Destinies" required a Finesse level of 109 and I'm...umm...6.

Was LAST OF US for PS3 any good? Should I get it for PS4?
lol dumbest question ever no offense
Explain this to someone that has never played Last of Us and never owned the PS3?
In short it is probably one of the highest rated and most respected games ever on the PS3. There probably has been 200 posts on it in this thread, 99% of which were positive.
:thumbup: I'm in.
Fasten your seat belt.

Simply the best non sports game ever made on the PS3.

Infamous Second Son is a load of fun. Never played any games in this series but this game is the nicest looking Next Gen game so far.

Drifter said:
OC Zed said:
Insein said:
OC Zed said:

Add in Planescape:Torment (still the best game ever, IMO) and Ultima Underworld (first 3D game), then you have a pretty good list.

Started Last of Us and so far, I'm bored as hell. Only 2 hours in but when does this pick up? I just met Ellie.

Yeah I typically play that way too. I love leveling but I also like to give myself an opportunity to train with the controls and combat dynamics of new games and side quests are the best proving grounds.
The combat is fun and I enjoy figuring out which combo of moves work well against certain opponents. My only real gripe with the game is the limited number of active effects/move slots. With a straight finesse character, I can only load 2 active effects and 2 moves. Yet the game give me plenty of choices of moves. Why not double those with or something. I'm going to finish the game without ever using the bow as I don't have any place to load bow attacks.

Was LAST OF US for PS3 any good? Should I get it for PS4?
lol dumbest question ever no offense
Explain this to someone that has never played Last of Us and never owned the PS3?
In short it is probably one of the highest rated and most respected games ever on the PS3. There probably has been 200 posts on it in this thread, 99% of which were positive.
:thumbup: I'm in.
Fasten your seat belt.

Simply the best non sports game ever made on the PS3.
But no pressure.

Finally getting back on my PS3 today. Gave it up for Lent. Guess I got used to not using it, because today will be the day I finally get around to turning it back on. So the choices are:

Restart Infinite (20 minutes in)

Far Cry 3 (may have to start over because I totally forget the control scheme)

Metro: Last Light

Then again, need to be at Denny's in about two hours for my free grand slam, so it will only be a short session.

Weird things afoot in the Wasteland. Wandering around last night after doing Agatha's Song(nice gun) and I came across this factory. Apparently they were in there doing experiments on ghouls and super mutants placing control chips. I hope I didn't mess up a side mission later going in and killing everything.

Finally getting back on my PS3 today. Gave it up for Lent. Guess I got used to not using it, because today will be the day I finally get around to turning it back on. So the choices are:

Then again, need to be at Denny's in about two hours for my free grand slam, so it will only be a short session.
I know it sounds like hyperbole or that I'm joking, but I'm not. Bioshock: Infinite is a definite waste of time.

Drifter said:
OC Zed said:
Insein said:
OC Zed said:

Add in Planescape:Torment (still the best game ever, IMO) and Ultima Underworld (first 3D game), then you have a pretty good list.
Can't forget the awesome Wizardry series.

I know it sounds like hyperbole or that I'm joking, but I'm not. Bioshock: Infinite is a definite waste of time.
After playing Bioshock 1 & 2 I simply have no interest but I have heard good things about the endgame or near endgame story.

Watched IGN's Daily Fix last night and it was stated that some gaming website listed a PS4/XBONE version of the Mass Effect Trilogy will be released in the near future. If so, I will wait.

Watched IGN's Daily Fix last night and it was stated that some gaming website listed a PS4/XBONE version of the Mass Effect Trilogy will be released in the near future. If so, I will wait.
I really hope they didn't add content. I'm a big enough fan of these games that I'd consider revisiting them if so.

Fallout 3 should be ariving today. I look forward to it based on comments here, although I do not have a 100% success ratio with comments here.

To be fair to the posters though, I doubt I am considered a gamer anyway.

Fallout 3 should be ariving today. I look forward to it based on comments here, although I do not have a 100% success ratio with comments here.

To be fair to the posters though, I doubt I am considered a gamer anyway.
Have fun! After New Vegas I think I'll fire up FO3 again until Watch Dogs comes out.

Users who are viewing this thread