What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (2 Viewers)

I share everybody's general dislike of Bioshock Infinite. It was free on PS+ a while back, and I played through it on "easy" just for the story (admittedly this may have colored my experience -- sometimes games that are boring and repetitive on low difficulties are much better when you turn the difficulty up). The whole game was just lifeless. I can't come up with a good explanation of why this game fails, but it just feels like it was built by a committee tasked with making The Next Bioshock.

I share everybody's general dislike of Bioshock Infinite. It was free on PS+ a while back, and I played through it on "easy" just for the story (admittedly this may have colored my experience -- sometimes games that are boring and repetitive on low difficulties are much better when you turn the difficulty up). The whole game was just lifeless. I can't come up with a good explanation of why this game fails, but it just feels like it was built by a committee tasked with making The Next Bioshock.
:lmao: cmon man, just watch a movie if you're going to play a game on easy

I played it on max difficulty the first time through (easy this last time). It made no difference.

Is there a Bioshock Infinite movie he could have watched?

I wouldn't challenge IK's gaming ability if I were you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Picked up Mass Effect 2 and 3 for about 8 bucks on Saturday. Time to see what all the talk is about. IGN has a Mass Effect 1 in 10 minutes video. Maybe I'll watch that to get me up to ME2. From what I hear on this board and others, is that ME1 wasn't that great compared to ME2 & 3.

Picked up Mass Effect 2 and 3 for about 8 bucks on Saturday. Time to see what all the talk is about. IGN has a Mass Effect 1 in 10 minutes video. Maybe I'll watch that to get me up to ME2. From what I hear on this board and others, is that ME1 wasn't that great compared to ME2 & 3.
Definitely watch the video. I lent out my copies of ME 2-3 to a buddy and he just couldn't get into them because he felt lost. I'm sure there are videos that can get you up to speed, but I don't recommend jumping into 2 cold.

But 1 is definitely worth playing in its own right if you have the opportunity.

No there isn't but there are plenty of movies he hasn't seen with a better story than Bioshock so my point remains valid.

No real gamer would ever play a game on easy.

No there isn't but there are plenty of movies he hasn't seen with a better story than Bioshock so my point remains valid.

You're a moron.

You're a moron.
You tried to counter me with logic and after that failed you resort to emotion, so basically, you are being very emotional when calling me a moron. An opinion based on emotion instead of logic isn't a worthy one.

You tried to counter me with logic and after that failed you resort to emotion, so basically, you are being very emotional when calling me a moron. An opinion based on emotion instead of logic isn't a worthy one.
No, I've just read a lot of your postings around here. This is the cherry on top.

A question of "Why would someone play a game just to get the story?" is moronic.

No, I've just read a lot of your postings around here. This is the cherry on top.

A question of "Why would someone play a game just to get the story?" is moronic.
It isn't moronic at all.

Most games with a great story will have 90 percent of it being game play and 10 percent of it being story so if you're only playing it for the story you are only getting 10 percent satisfaction.

While thousands and thousands of movies are 100 percent story and if you're looking for a great story you could get 100 percent enjoyment.

But hey, I am just using logic while you admittedly are biased against me because of my previous postings and you're defending a friend, so your emotional response to me is probably right while my logical one is wrong.

You know how when you're playing an online shooter, there's always that one kid that you have to mute because you can't stand listening to him? I was just thinking about that phenomenon for some reason and this seems like the right thread to mention it.

It isn't moronic at all.

Most games with a great story will have 90 percent of it being game play and 10 percent of it being story so if you're only playing it for the story you are only getting 10 percent satisfaction.

While thousands and thousands of movies are 100 percent story and if you're looking for a great story you could get 100 percent enjoyment.

But hey, I am just using logic while you admittedly are biased against me because of my previous postings and you're defending a friend, so your emotional response to me is probably right while my logical one is wrong.
If making up numbers to suit your argument is logical then yes...I guess you're being exceptionally logical.

It isn't moronic at all.

If making up numbers to suit your argument is logical then yes...I guess you're being exceptionally logical.
Good point, I should have included that the numbers aren't an exact science, but I expected everyone to get the point I was trying to make(I think you did) and that is games are never 100 percent story and are mostly filled with game play, so if story is your only concern why not just watch a movie.

I will say there are some exceptions(this game isn't one) but heavy rain I would consider a game you should play if you only care about story

Has anyone here played heavy rain? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKPPdgBK3r8

Definitely watch the video. I lent out my copies of ME 2-3 to a buddy and he just couldn't get into them because he felt lost. I'm sure there are videos that can get you up to speed, but I don't recommend jumping into 2 cold.

I have the attention span of a gnat. Knowing that ME2 is that much better than ME1, there's no way I'll stick with ME1. My time is limited as it is. On Youtube, there's a few speedruns. Maybe I'll watch some of those too.

Mass Effect 2 is the gem of the series as far as the complete package. It has a 7 Samuri story line and I loved every side mission as much as the main story as it all just weaved together so flawlessy. The combat is far better on 2 and 3 then on ME. Mass Effect 3 is also a spuerb game with even better combat than 2. A better weapon upgrade system and inventory system. Better squad commands and AI as well.

Now.....I would recommend playing all three. I, like you started on 2 played 3 then went back to ME (PS3) as it was not available at the time I played the games. Having played ME I love the series even more (now I know all the back stories and characters and universe lore) and started a second playthrough of 2 with my new Shepard from ME. I am only 20% into my second playthrough as I have been sidetracked by a multitude of other titles.....but I will get around to getting through them again.

Fantastic series. One of the best ever for sure.

I have the attention span of a gnat. Knowing that ME2 is that much better than ME1, there's no way I'll stick with ME1. My time is limited as it is. On Youtube, there's a few speedruns. Maybe I'll watch some of those too.
Play it on easy. Don't do the side missions.

And if that's too much then just watch the video of Vigil on Ilos and you'll be mostly up to speed. Some of the finer points of who is who will be lost, but the overall story will make sense. I guess the conversation with Sovereign is worthwhile too.

But without playing the first game, I don't think you'll get the depth of the relationships between characters. Particularly Shepard and Garrus.

Yes.......knowing and playing the relationship between Shepard and Garrus was a huge thing for me in appreciating ME2 again far more the second time around.

And as far as playing games on easy.......no doubt it's great. Especially the seond time around.

Typically I play non sports games on normal or hard. Once I finish them.....I am typically done.

But some games like the Mass Effect Series, the Dead Space series and now the Batman Series I will go back and play them again...in either new game plus or easy to experieince the amazing story telling. Very common to do.

In fact I am playing Uncharted 3 on easy out of the gate.....just so I can get through the story in a nice streamlined manner instead of having to fight through platform boards constantly on hard. It just makes the gaming experieince for some games....that much better.

Started up Black Flag this weekend, and I have to say, the opening scene with the Pirate Captain or whoever he is talking about the main character had some of the best graphics I've ever seen. I was pretty amazed. In game graphics are more standard AC, so nothing too special, but that initial cut scene I thought was amazing.

Also over the weekend I finished through another play through of KoToR 2 on PC. That was a pretty buggy and disappointing game when it came out, but this time I installed the restored content and m4-78 mods. The restored content mods both fix most of the bugginess of the game, and add in a lot of the removed scenes throughout the game, it's most noticeable at the end. There are still some holes in there, but it does make for a MUCH better game I thought. The M4-78 mod actually adds an additional planet that gets tacked on at the end of Korriban. Instead of finding the Master's body, you find where she went next. That mod is much shakeir as the it looks like what the had to work with was more beta code and maps then finalized code. They had to do some voice recording for this one, and the production values are pretty low, and framerates were pretty bad in some sections.

So if anyone has KoToR 2 on PC and wants to do another play through, I HIGHLY recommend the restored content mod, and the other would be optional if you were interested.

Negative. ME1 is not only fun but fills in the back story a lot better than watching the videos ever could. Jumping in to ME2 will leave you very confused at first. Could lessen the whole experience. Half the fun of Mass Effect is making the choices that shape your character. Since it follows through all 3 games, playing the first is important.

(These posts are like the bat signal for me.)

Negative. ME1 is not only fun but fills in the back story a lot better than watching the videos ever could. Jumping in to ME2 will leave you very confused at first. Could lessen the whole experience. Half the fun of Mass Effect is making the choices that shape your character. Since it follows through all 3 games, playing the first is important.

(These posts are like the bat signal for me.)
And I'll just add:

:goodposting:

My gaming time is extremely limited. But I enjoyed the heck out of going back to back to back with this series.

Great! We've got "johnjohn" pretending to know what he's talking about in video games now. BTW john, a real gamer plays a game for the fun of it. Whether it's on easy mode or OMGSuperCrazyHard mode. Play the flavor you want. Now scoot along. There's no religion talk here.

I also like to think that most of the movies made anymore are utter crap (yeah, I know. My opinion). I'd take a video game and it's story over watching a movie 9 times out of 10. I'm sorry you disagree and that's just the way it's gonna be. You're not an idiot for thinking otherwise.

There are groups that prefer the gameplay in ME1 over 2 and vice versa. It's really all about what you prefer. The gameplay in ME1 is closer to old-school RPG than action, where ME2 put it almost completely in the action category. I still think the ME1 story is vita to know what's going on in the rest of the game. I know there's a small comic style thing you can do to pick your important decisions, but I'm glad I never did it. Mass Effect 1 is what got me invested in the story.

Just to throw this thread a complete non sequitur since we're on the ME and FO3 bandwagons. I am officially geeked about the Child of Light release coming up tomorrow. All the previews have been beyond glowing. Game looks awesome - any game that can tell an entire story in iambic pentameter has my interest piqued. Add in that it is local multiplayer coop (my 8 year old will love this thing) and only $15 and this is an instant buy.

Sorry, back to the discussion of Tenpenny Tower. NTTIAWWT :P

Just to throw this thread a complete non sequitur since we're on the ME and FO3 bandwagons. I am officially geeked about the Child of Light release coming up tomorrow. All the previews have been beyond glowing. Game looks awesome - any game that can tell an entire story in iambic pentameter has my interest piqued. Add in that it is local multiplayer coop (my 8 year old will love this thing) and only $15 and this is an instant buy.

I just watched the trailer. Looks great. I look forward to your impressions.

From what I have read not sure it's my thing really. There is no looting, no gear really and you level really quickly. Seems to be very shallow despite the unique presentation. I look forward to hearing what you have to say

Great! We've got "johnjohn" pretending to know what he's talking about in video games now. BTW john, a real gamer plays a game for the fun of it. Whether it's on easy mode or OMGSuperCrazyHard mode. Play the flavor you want. Now scoot along. There's no religion talk here.

I also like to think that most of the movies made anymore are utter crap (yeah, I know. My opinion). I'd take a video game and it's story over watching a movie 9 times out of 10. I'm sorry you disagree and that's just the way it's gonna be. You're not an idiot for thinking otherwise.
So if someone has fun using cheats while playing a video game you would say he is a real gamer?

So if someone has fun using cheats while playing a video game you would say he is a real gamer?
As opposed to an imaginary gamer?

As opposed to someone that doesn't deserve the title of gamer

Dare to dream.

:lmao:

Sort of a segway here, but I find it interesting to see how gaming trends come and go. 15-20 years ago, RPGs had minimal open world exploration and primarily featured turn-based combat (see Final Fantasy VII). Today, the term "RPG" seems to include everything under the sun outside of Call of Duty and nothing is turn-based and everything has to have tons of open world exploration.

I played and finished Fallout 3, but didn't put more than a few hours into Mass Effect 3 (I didn't try the first two installments of ME). I stuck with Fallout 3 due to its featuring of some turn-based combat elements - instead of having to do everything on the fly - and because the story was interesting enough. ME3 just struck me as being too big and being too much work to put in. And the controls felt clunkier than a traditional shooter, but still enough of a masher that I constantly had to be on top of the controller.

I don't mean to slam anyone that likes these games, just that it's interesting to see how preferences change over time for a lot of gamers. Personally, my gaming time is limited and my twitch reflexes as a middle-aged gamer aren't what they used to be, so I'd much rather have a gaming experience that delivers a great story and doesn't rely so much on how quickly I can hit the buttons. Give me a 15-20 hour single player experience with a fantastic story (even if it's a story that is "on rails") and that is accessible for players of all skill levels and I'm golden. I never really had much interest in replay value or just wandering for the sake of wandering. To each their own, I guess.

Sort of a segway here, but I find it interesting to see how gaming trends come and go. 15-20 years ago, RPGs had minimal open world exploration and primarily featured turn-based combat (see Final Fantasy VII). Today, the term "RPG" seems to include everything under the sun outside of Call of Duty and nothing is turn-based and everything has to have tons of open world exploration.

I played and finished Fallout 3, but didn't put more than a few hours into Mass Effect 3 (I didn't try the first two installments of ME). I stuck with Fallout 3 due to its featuring of some turn-based combat elements - instead of having to do everything on the fly - and because the story was interesting enough. ME3 just struck me as being too big and being too much work to put in. And the controls felt clunkier than a traditional shooter, but still enough of a masher that I constantly had to be on top of the controller.

I don't mean to slam anyone that likes these games, just that it's interesting to see how preferences change over time for a lot of gamers. Personally, my gaming time is limited and my twitch reflexes as a middle-aged gamer aren't what they used to be, so I'd much rather have a gaming experience that delivers a great story and doesn't rely so much on how quickly I can hit the buttons. Give me a 15-20 hour single player experience with a fantastic story (even if it's a story that is "on rails") and that is accessible for players of all skill levels and I'm golden. I never really had much interest in replay value or just wandering for the sake of wandering. To each their own, I guess.
Both styles have been prevalent for a number of years. Some like to differentiate the two as Western Rpg and Japanese Rpg. Either way, both are still thriving.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Gotta admit, this is a fun game. I haven't spent much time digesting the story (fast click through almost all dialogue), I am not sure if it is because the story is average at best or if I am just "gamed out" but I don't care because the combat dynamics are absolutely a blast. Really some of the best combat I have experienced and I just don't want to deal with talking when there is fighting to be done. There is a ton of loot and the visuals are excellent too. What is cool is that it makes it very easy to reset all your skill points at any time. Want to play a straight spell caster? No problem. Feel like switching to a rogue/warrior or a sneak'n'snipe thief? Go for it. In the mood for playing as a battle mage? You're covered.

It's a a game designed for people who love fighting, looting, leveling and looking good while doing it.

Recommend.

See it's the exploration and openness in a game like Fallout or Skyrim that really works for me. The actual gun play is usually pretty easy heck with VATS Fallout even aims for you. So it's the crawls and the side missions that make it for me. But that's my thing and luckily they make enough games everyone should be able to find something.

ME is substantially less work than FO and can also be paused so you can give squadmates orders. Might try running through that series again on easy mode. ME easily has the best story of any RPG from last gen, and is also way more "on rails" than most RPGs.

ME is substantially less work than FO and can also be paused so you can give squadmates orders. Might try running through that series again on easy mode. ME easily has the best story of any RPG from last gen, and is also way more "on rails" than most RPGs.
I'm going to try again with ME after I finish up FO. But I have to admit I was totally bored with it the first start up.

Pfffft, poser.

Both styles have been prevalent for a number of years. Some like to differentiate the two as Western Rpg and Japanese Rpg. Either way, both are still thriving.
Ya, I guess that is a good summation. I don't recall Western RPGs really existing (or at least being big) before 2000. Today, I don't think anyone here plays Japanese-style RPGs. I didn't play the last FF single player game (FFXIV?), but I understand that was an on-rails story, until the second-half of the game where it "opened up." And the American reviews all skewered the first half of the game.

I didn't like having to pause to give squadmates orders. I always preferred the "old school" turn system where every person in your group automatically had their own turn. I know that sounds nitpicky, but it really affected how I enjoyed the game. I also get why some might think my preference is "clunkier."

As for the story, I've heard great things about ME. I guess I just couldn't get into it.

Online? He should be banned. Offline where it doesn't hurt anyone, he can play however he wants.

However, this is a terrible analogy to begin with. Programmers purposely put in an easy mode for people that don't feel like being bothered to play hard. For adults, the stress of a hard mode in a game isn't worth it for a hobby that is supposed to be fun and take your mind off of the daily stresses of life. If you can't see that, then I don't know what to tell you. I've been gaming since the days of Pong and sometimes I wanna be challenged and somedays I just want to have mindless fun. I've also done played competitively before and I don't condone cheating. We found a couple of guys in our TFC clan had used cheats during a match and we forfeited and kicked them out. I don't condone it. But unfortunately I live with the reality that practically anytime I play online, I'm probably running into a cheater or two twelve.

:lmao:
My sentiments too. These days, players of games like Farmville, Flappy Bird and Candy Crush are gamers too. They may not be games I like, but to say that they aren't "real gamers" because I don't play those games is laughable.

johnjohn, why don't you put in for the upcoming video game draft and we can see what your gaming knowledge is like. You've not shown interest before and everyone just assumes you're trolling. In fact, I still haven't seen you say that you're playing a game at all. It is what the title of the thread says, after all: "What ya playing?"

Users who are viewing this thread