What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (9 Viewers)

You guys are making me nervous with all the Skyrim talk. Magic and gay orcs?
Reasons why I couldn't get into the game, although I loved FO3 & New Vegas. I don't think the game was bad, it was just me. I still plan to go back and give it a shot again, whenever I knock out some of this backlog of games.
The magic is in the game. Personally I never encountered a gay orc in my 150 hrs or so of Skyrim. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Going all left wing progressive never even occurred to me, I would have totally made a hot lesbian and married Aela the Huntress. :wub:

Reasons why I couldn't get into the game, although I loved FO3 & New Vegas. I don't think the game was bad, it was just me. I still plan to go back and give it a shot again, whenever I knock out some of this backlog of games.
The magic is in the game. Personally I never encountered a gay orc in my 150 hrs or so of Skyrim. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Going all left wing progressive never even occurred to me, I would have totally made a hot lesbian and married Aela the Huntress. :wub:
:lol:

What I meant in my post is that while the game is beautiful and plays pretty much exactly like FO3 & New Vegas, I don't seem to get into games focused on Magic, Dragons, etc. That direction of fantasy just doesn't interest me.

However, I may go back and take it in better the next time and turn out to love the game. But from what I've played so far, I just couldn't. I almost felt like something was wrong with me for not liking this universally loved game. Dragon Age Origins is also in my backlog (got it free on Origin), but I can't seem to get up interest to start it for the same reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

What I meant in my post is that while the game is beautiful and plays pretty much exactly like FO3 & New Vegas, I don't seem to get into games focused on Magic, Dragons, etc. That direction of fantasy just doesn't interest me.

However, I may go back and take it in better the next time and turn out to love the game. But from what I've played so far, I just couldn't. I almost felt like something was wrong with me for not liking this universally loved game. Dragon Age Origins is also in my backlog (got it free on Origin), but I can't seem to get up interest to start it for the same reason.
I wouldn't feel that way. For instance I tried really hard to like Bioshock. Pretty much considered a classic. Everyone seems to like it. And parts of it I liked but I got bored with it. For whatever reason doesn't work for me. Same with Mass Effect. I'll probably go back and give both another try but for right now they're meh to me.That's why they make so many different games afer all.

lol nothing wrong with you at all. I dont like FPS games and they are all the rage. Whatever floats your boat amigo

Found alien ship. Cleaned out deathclaw sanctuary and got vengence. Love that weapon.

Took it to Paradise falls and killed everyone and freed the slaves. Mad loot. Not a lot of xp. And no karma change. Bummer.

lol nothing wrong with you at all. I dont like FPS games and they are all the rage. Whatever floats your boat amigo
Yup. I played about 30 minutes of Shadow of the Collossus and hated the gameplay and camera enough that I just dropped it completely.

Not sure I get it entirely. Lightning bolt = laser rifle, stasis field = paralysis potion, armor = armor etc. It's all about your ability to suspend disbelief not whether you wield a sword or a chainsaw, shoot a bow or a sniper rifle, are Dragon Born or a Spectre. Etc.

If the story is good (and the mechanics are good) the game is good.

Found alien ship. Cleaned out deathclaw sanctuary and got vengence. Love that weapon.

Took it to Paradise falls and killed everyone and freed the slaves. Mad loot. Not a lot of xp. And no karma change. Bummer.
Nice nights work there.
Paradise falls is a dilemma for me. I don't turn slaver but I don't free them either. The way I play (wanderer with few quests) I need the trading posts Once I get their shop outfitted it's a regular stop for me.

Nice nights work there.
Paradise falls is a dilemma for me. I don't turn slaver but I don't free them either. The way I play (wanderer with few quests) I need the trading posts Once I get their shop outfitted it's a regular stop for me.
I could arm the Marines from my Megaton house. I don't need any more shops. And frankly it's been awhile in the game since I had an all out battle of any level. So... yeah.The best was using vengence on the lead guys head at the gate. Nothing but mist. Get the message that I failed his mission. Lol. No kidding.

Nice nights work there.
I can see that. For me I just decided to go with clearing it out. I kind of hoped dude would still trade but no he was in a kill me mood. I didn't care for that and so I ended him too. Probably should consider the trade aspect next time though.

Nice nights work there.
I could arm the Marines from my Megaton house. I don't need any more shops. And frankly it's been awhile in the game since I had an all out battle of any level. So... yeah.The best was using vengence on the lead guys head at the gate. Nothing but mist. Get the message that I failed his mission. Lol. No kidding.
More shops mean more ammo chances. I would think that would be the big thing.

Not sure I get it entirely. Lightning bolt = laser rifle, stasis field = paralysis potion, armor = armor etc. It's all about your ability to suspend disbelief not whether you wield a sword or a chainsaw, shoot a bow or a sniper rifle, are Dragon Born or a Spectre. Etc.

Yeah, I am sure it will be great once I get used to terminology and how it correlates. I think I need to figure out how to use other things, because just like in Fallout, I suck at melee weapons and don't really like having to use maces and swords.

Yeah, I am sure it will be great once I get used to terminology and how it correlates. I think I need to figure out how to use other things, because just like in Fallout, I suck at melee weapons and don't really like having to use maces and swords.
I'm not great in melee but a good mace is the answer for guys like us. There is a mace you can get that automatically takes the soul of whatever you kill with it. My favorite weapon in the game. I always have a ton of full gems to sell and it does a ton of damage. Plus it's evil and so it scares off people just by holding it.

Oh and of course I use a bow a lot.

I wasn't paying attention, but going to Rivet City early must change the Radio Station story line. I was going to wander around and remembered that usually after taking out a couple mutants, I meet up with (I think the Brotherhood) some guys by the radio station and get an assist with the other mutants on the way. Figured that would be a cake walk to pick up some xp to level up and get my lockpick maxed. Turns out there was nobody over there, so I was a bit outmatched. Ended up getting through it and even taking down the big big bad, but not without using a #### ton of ammo and losing my companion. R.I.P. dogmeat.

Got to level 7, got the true story of Rivet City, told Harkness he is an android, and am now armed with his plasma rifle.

I'm not grea in melee but a good mace is the answer for guys like us. There is a mace you can get that automatically takes the soul of whatever you kill with it. My favorite weapon in the game. I always have a ton of full gems to sell and it does a ton of damage. Plus it's evil and so it scares off people just by holding it.
Ok, that sounds amazing!

Nice nights work there.
I don't keep a house. Whatever I can carry is what I've got. It keeps the scrounging/surviving feel of the game going longer - which is the part I enjoy. And I'm always somehow low on sniper ammo : )

I wasn't paying attention, but going to Rivet City early must change the Radio Station story line. I was going to wander around and remembered that usually after taking out a couple mutants, I meet up with (I think the Brotherhood) some guys by the radio station and get an assist with the other mutants on the way. Figured that would be a cake walk to pick up some xp to level up and get my lockpick maxed. Turns out there was nobody over there, so I was a bit outmatched. Ended up getting through it and even taking down the big big bad, but not without using a #### ton of ammo and losing my companion. R.I.P. dogmeat.

Got to level 7, got the true story of Rivet City, told Harkness he is an android, and am now armed with his plasma rifle.
Can't believe you got DM killed. I swear he seems near invincible. Not sure why the Brotherhood wasn't there. Did you talk to anyone in the lab? You can't do that until the story takes you there or it does mess up the timeline for the main story as I recall.

Nice nights work there.
I can see that. For me I just decided to go with clearing it out. I kind of hoped dude would still trade but no he was in a kill me mood. I didn't care for that and so I ended him too. Probably should consider the trade aspect next time though.
Setting up the shop is a minor pain (but hey, I got nothing else to do). If you know where to go it's a bit of a fetch quest - but at least to a cool location. If not, it's a fun discovery wen you find it.

Nice nights work there.
I don't keep a house. Whatever I can carry is what I've got. It keeps the scrounging/surviving feel of the game going longer - which is the part I enjoy. And I'm always somehow low on sniper ammo : )
This does sound interesting but I am such a pack rat I don't think I could do it. I'd start out all ready to go stuff free and it wouldn't last.

Nice nights work there.
Setting up the shop is a minor pain (but hey, I got nothing else to do). If you know where to go it's a bit of a fetch quest - but at least to a cool location. If not, it's a fun discovery wen you find it.
Do you mean the factory full of Chinese zombies?

Can't believe you got DM killed. I swear he seems near invincible. Not sure why the Brotherhood wasn't there. Did you talk to anyone in the lab? You can't do that until the story takes you there or it does mess up the timeline for the main story as I recall.
You're very lucky. Dogmeat almost always "dies of courage" before I can complete a single loop.

Dunno, is it possible that I killed him as I was blindly shooting into the distance? I know there were 4-5 mutants around him at the time too.

I did talk to the Dr in the lab and I went into the Memorial up the way as I was looking for something to kill and level up. If I remember right, isn't the radio quest just a way to find info about dad? I guess if I found the holotape and am told to look for the Vault (112? 116?), that quest would go away. I didn't check my quests before heading over towards the station, I just assumed that the brotherhood would still be there regardless and that there would be another quest to do when I got there.

You're very lucky. Dogmeat almost always "dies of courage" before I can complete a single loop.
I have let him go toe to toe with behemoths while I was otherwise engaged. I always worry he is going to die but he comes through fine. I have used maybe 3 stimpacks on him but usually only after some really heavy action and when I am expecting more to follow quickly. So I am glad I have been lucky with him because of all the followers I have had in various games he is my favorite. Can't carry anything but I can't count the number fo arms and legs he has torn off in my defense.

Dunno, is it possible that I killed him as I was blindly shooting into the distance? I know there were 4-5 mutants around him at the time too.

I did talk to the Dr in the lab and I went into the Memorial up the way as I was looking for something to kill and level up. If I remember right, isn't the radio quest just a way to find info about dad? I guess if I found the holotape and am told to look for the Vault (112? 116?), that quest would go away. I didn't check my quests before heading over towards the station, I just assumed that the brotherhood would still be there regardless and that there would be another quest to do when I got there.
I think that's the big no no if you don't want to mess up the mission line.

Nice nights work there.
This does sound interesting but I am such a pack rat I don't think I could do it. I'd start out all ready to go stuff free and it wouldn't last.
LOL, you start to quickly increase the value/weight ratio of loot. It's really tough to drop something that is rare but heavy. But for me it's fun to use things just for a specific location and then drop it. Like the Fat Man at Evergreen Mills is one and done for the XL mutie. When I keep a house I might as well call the game Post Apocalyptic Hoarders. I don't even collect bobbleheads unless they're "special".

NCCommish said:
JerseyToughGuys said:
STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
I fall asleep every time I play Skyrim. I wake up at 4AM with the controller still in my hand.
this was me and ME1.
Now this I can imagine. I will retry it but first time in ME1 just didn't grab me.
It might be because ME1 isn't a very good game. Really good story. Below average game.
Not even close to true.

The radio quest also let's you repair the broadcast tower so you can hear 3 Dog throughout the wasteland. That may or may not be a good thing for some,

NCCommish said:
JerseyToughGuys said:
STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
I fall asleep every time I play Skyrim. I wake up at 4AM with the controller still in my hand.
this was me and ME1.
Now this I can imagine. I will retry it but first time in ME1 just didn't grab me.
It might be because ME1 isn't a very good game. Really good story. Below average game.
Not even close to true.
No kidding. You shut your whore mouth, Dufresne.

NCCommish said:
JerseyToughGuys said:
STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
this was me and ME1.
Not even close to true.
I'm with Andy on this one so far.

NCCommish said:
Jeff Vader said:
NCCommish said:
thecatch said:
NCCommish said:
JerseyToughGuys said:
STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
this was me and ME1.
I understand it more with Skyrim though I like both. Skyrim requires you to make your character's story up in your head as you go along because there's virtually none in the game.
True. Since you tend to have no family or anything I go with the Skyrim version of the knight errant. Someone who wanders in search of chivalrous adventures saving the occasional damsel, vanquishing evil at every turn, laughing at danger(well once I level up a bit) and generally just building my legend.
I have four different characters I play in Skyrim and they all have their own stories. I play whichever I feel like engaging.

My main one is a morally ambivalent uberbadass, master vampire, master assassin, master thief, master warrior, and a pretty decent mage when he has to be. He just rides around on Shadowmere wrecking havoc and helping out the occasional dolt.

Then there's Big Gay Orc. He's big. He wields the legendary magic two-handed warhammer of the orcs (forgot its name). He only fights for noble causes. And he's married to the Big Hairy Smith in the small town just north of Riften.

There's a cat alchemist. Not all that developed. Loves to sneak and shoot poison arrows. Paralysis poison is a favorite. He hits him from far, then runs up and taunts them on the ground before dual daggering them to death.

I also have a high elven Archemage who has a real twisted and angry relationship with the Thalmor. They make elves looks bad, he says. They should die on sight, he thinks. Other than them, he's a straight up good guy book nerd.
Very interesting takes.
I forgot about BGO.

LOL

NCCommish said:
Jeff Vader said:
NCCommish said:
thecatch said:
NCCommish said:
JerseyToughGuys said:
STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
this was me and ME1.
I understand it more with Skyrim though I like both. Skyrim requires you to make your character's story up in your head as you go along because there's virtually none in the game.
True. Since you tend to have no family or anything I go with the Skyrim version of the knight errant. Someone who wanders in search of chivalrous adventures saving the occasional damsel, vanquishing evil at every turn, laughing at danger(well once I level up a bit) and generally just building my legend.
I have four different characters I play in Skyrim and they all have their own stories. I play whichever I feel like engaging.

My main one is a morally ambivalent uberbadass, master vampire, master assassin, master thief, master warrior, and a pretty decent mage when he has to be. He just rides around on Shadowmere wrecking havoc and helping out the occasional dolt.

Then there's Big Gay Orc. He's big. He wields the legendary magic two-handed warhammer of the orcs (forgot its name). He only fights for noble causes. And he's married to the Big Hairy Smith in the small town just north of Riften.

There's a cat alchemist. Not all that developed. Loves to sneak and shoot poison arrows. Paralysis poison is a favorite. He hits him from far, then runs up and taunts them on the ground before dual daggering them to death.

I also have a high elven Archemage who has a real twisted and angry relationship with the Thalmor. They make elves looks bad, he says. They should die on sight, he thinks. Other than them, he's a straight up good guy book nerd.
Very interesting takes.
I forgot about BGO.

LOL
BGO is cool

It never occurred to me either! (if by left wing progressive you mean gay marriage?)

I was out and about knocking skulls, when I stopped by this rinky dink village to sell some loot to the local smith. He noticed I was wearing an amulet of Mara and the rest just kinda of hilariously happened.

Nice nights work there.
Woah woah..... really? Where? That's what I need - another round of killing a whole building of people.

I finally went through all my stats on the pipboy - yup, never really did. I have located 60 places. So, not even half of the game yet. Unreal. Walking around now in the experimental medical armor that I found in the Ol Olney sewer, carrying Vengence, no need for food with all the drugs I have - just realized that my robot butler gives me fresh water, so not carrying radioactive water anymore, a few blood packs and am up to about 120 stim packs. And I have Fawkes at my side. About halfway to level 19. Basically in the mode where I am going to go grid by grid and try to find everything.

Question for everyone who has gone through a few times: I had asked if there was a way to kill everyone when you clear out an area and they never come back - basically kill all the bad guys and not have them to deal with anymore. You guys said no, they will spawn in various places. My question is this - what about innocents? I'm debating starting a second game from the save point I am at now, and basically walking into say, Megaton, and just killing everything. Same in other parts where there are good guys. Brotherhood soldiers might be a problem but I have Vengence, several mini guns, a few fat boys, and a ton of missles and nukes to use on those guys. Can you literally kill everything in the game so that the only living things left in DC are the randomly spawned bad guys that come back from time to time?

Nice nights work there.
Woah woah..... really? Where? That's what I need - another round of killing a whole building of people.

I finally went through all my stats on the pipboy - yup, never really did. I have located 60 places. So, not even half of the game yet. Unreal. Walking around now in the experimental medical armor that I found in the Ol Olney sewer, carrying Vengence, no need for food with all the drugs I have - just realized that my robot butler gives me fresh water, so not carrying radioactive water anymore, a few blood packs and am up to about 120 stim packs. And I have Fawkes at my side. About halfway to level 19. Basically in the mode where I am going to go grid by grid and try to find everything.

Question for everyone who has gone through a few times: I had asked if there was a way to kill everyone when you clear out an area and they never come back - basically kill all the bad guys and not have them to deal with anymore. You guys said no, they will spawn in various places. My question is this - what about innocents? I'm debating starting a second game from the save point I am at now, and basically walking into say, Megaton, and just killing everything. Same in other parts where there are good guys. Brotherhood soldiers might be a problem but I have Vengence, several mini guns, a few fat boys, and a ton of missles and nukes to use on those guys. Can you literally kill everything in the game so that the only living things left in DC are the randomly spawned bad guys that come back from time to time?
In my experience non-bad guys don't respawn. Some though you can't kill. If they are considered essential characters they won't die.

NCCommish said:
JerseyToughGuys said:
STEADYMOBBIN 22 said:
this was me and ME1.
Not even close to true.
I'm with Andy on this one so far.
me too.

only so much poorly executed dune buggy driving a man can take.

Frank Drebin said:
NCCommish said:
Yankee23Fan said:
NCCommish said:
Yankee23Fan said:
The Tick said:
Yankee23Fan said:
For xbox? Cool. How
Sorry, thought you were on pc... my bad.
Nah it's ok.As for Pots' post - I know. A gamer shouldn't really care. Still. Something about fantasy magic just hits too close to D&D to me and I'm just not there. But really, this thread has me interested in Skyrim. What I really need though to make houselife more livable in the video game realm, is to find a Skyrim-ish type game that is two players that is ok for a 10 year old that I could play with him. He loves that stuff but isn't ready yet for blood and gore of Skyrim levels (or any level really).

Really - I've said it before - but if they could make PAcific Rim a video game and let it be two player where we each either control the mech together like the movie or each have our own mech and battle together, he would literally be in nerd boy video game heaven.
I think Lego games are really the thing for you guys to share.
Been there done that. That's the problem. He's past that but not ready for Fallout / Skyrim type stuff. No sexual suggestion of any kind will be allowed. You can flame away on that. Really don't care. I'm ok with a little bit of blood but my experience is there is either a lot or none while I need in between.He's just at that age right now where he is between stages. It happens.
Why would I flame you? Your child, your choice. Although we both know he has probably already seen worse than he ever will in the vast overwhelming majority of video games. I mean he does have friends and they do have the internet right? But regardless your call to make and you have to do what you think is right.

You know a shooter I like is Serious Sam. They have it on Xbox. You can two player it. There is no sex. And IIRC you can turn off gore. It isn't open world really but it is a lot of fun IMO.
How about Marvel Ultimate Alliance? It's an action RPG like Diablo but with a Marvel theme and no blood and gore.
Great suggestion. 2 is actually better than the first, but I'd recommend playing the first so you have something to build to.
:goodposting: Marvel Ultimate Alliance would be a great game to co-op with your son. Unfortunately 2 is nearly impossible to find, at least at retail price.

Agreed. Played through 1 and 2 two times over with my son...we had a blast. Still have them as well. Can't believe how much they are fetching for them either.

The Mako was one of the worst vehicles that I can recall in a video game. Other than that, I enjoyed the first game and felt that they neutered what made it a wonderful RPG in the 2nd and 3rd. As far as an action game goes, the 2nd and 3rd are definitely better.
I really liked ME1 but understand the complaints. I did as little as possible in the Mako and found the repetitive building designs kind of tedious. Great story but it had a long ways to go as a complete game experience.

I also have no idea what you mean by neutering what made it wonderful in 2 & 3. Ending of 3 aside both were far better games on pretty much every level.

The Mako was one of the worst vehicles that I can recall in a video game. Other than that, I enjoyed the first game and felt that they neutered what made it a wonderful RPG in the 2nd and 3rd. As far as an action game goes, the 2nd and 3rd are definitely better.
Yeah - customization went out the window after the first game, which was a shame.

Yeah - customization went out the window after the first game, which was a shame.
I really liked ME1 but understand the complaints. I did as little as possible in the Mako and found the repetitive building designs kind of tedious. Great story but it had a long ways to go as a complete game experience.

I also have no idea what you mean by neutering what made it wonderful in 2 & 3. Ending of 3 aside both were far better games on pretty much every level.
Drifter said exactly what I mean by neutering what made ME1 a great RPG. There was very few customization options in ME2 & ME3. I also thought the different ammo types were pointless in the last game. They felt like a necessity in the first where if you weren't using the correct ammo, you got chewed up. I was a badass just by leveling up the weapon I picked up and I never felt the need to switch ammo type EVER in ME3. In general, it just felt dumbed down to make it more of a action shooter - which it still did well.

Drifter said exactly what I mean by neutering what made ME1 a great RPG. There was very few customization options in ME2 & ME3. I also thought the different ammo types were pointless in the last game. They felt like a necessity in the first where if you weren't using the correct ammo, you got chewed up. I was a badass just by leveling up the weapon I picked up and I never felt the need to switch ammo type EVER in ME3. In general, it just felt dumbed down to make it more of a action shooter - which it still did well.
ME1 had flaws too where customization didn't matter much because of imbalance. The Pistol loaded up with Marksman ability was ridiculously powerful. Singularity was overpowered. Certain combinations of armor/abilities/omni device were also overpowered. I just did ME1 again with combat turned to difficult and 2/3 of the way into the game, I was pretty much unstoppable.

ME1 had flaws too where customization didn't matter much because of imbalance. The Pistol loaded up with Marksman ability was ridiculously powerful. Singularity was overpowered. Certain combinations of armor/abilities/omni device were also overpowered. I just did ME1 again with combat turned to difficult and 2/3 of the way into the game, I was pretty much unstoppable.
That's a good point. I'm not trying to take anything away from the last two games. In fact, I actually find them more fun in most ways. It's just that I didn't like seeing those options taken off - and many others agree. I feel that each style has its strengths and weaknesses.

That's a good point. I'm not trying to take anything away from the last two games. In fact, I actually find them more fun in most ways. It's just that I didn't like seeing those options taken off - and many others agree. I feel that each style has its strengths and weaknesses.
I love variability in an RPG but only when the balance is there. Variability is meaningless if it's exploitable.

Users who are viewing this thread