What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (17 Viewers)

Alien Isolation
I forgot to comment on your initial review of AI (I think it was you) you seemed to be very high on the game. From what I have read the principle complaint about AI was that it seemed to require a ton of backtracking, which because you have to sneak a ton can feel like it takes a long time. How did you feel about that?

Also most negative reviews commented that the game was just too long. According to Howlongtobeat a "Main+Extras" run takes an average of 33 hours, which seems fine to me, but the reviewers seemed to feel that the story itself just stopped being interesting that long into the game. Thoughts about that?

Haven't been in this thread for awhile. What's everyone playing? Battlefield Hard line just came out. Anyone played and have an opinion yet?
MLB The Show 14 (soon 15 on the 31st)

Madden 15

NBA 2K15

Dying Light

Alien Isolation

Far Cry 4

That is my current rotation.
After three years or so I am back in Skyrim (Dragonborn) with the Companion Vilja mod. It's still awesome and the Vilja mod just makes it that much more awesome.

Alien Isolation
I forgot to comment on your initial review of AI (I think it was you) you seemed to be very high on the game. From what I have read the principle complaint about AI was that it seemed to require a ton of backtracking, which because you have to sneak a ton can feel like it takes a long time. How did you feel about that?Also most negative reviews commented that the game was just too long. According to Howlongtobeat a "Main+Extras" run takes an average of 33 hours, which seems fine to me, but the reviewers seemed to feel that the story itself just stopped being interesting that long into the game. Thoughts about that?
Me too. I was ready to pull the trigger on this game for the 360 two weeks ago when it was on sale for 50% off but read a bunch more reviews and backed off a little bit.

I need some help from the dads.....

I also am finding out that they are all loving online app games such as Five Nights at Freddie's, Portal, SCP Containment Breach and games such as that.
What's wrong with Portal?
Nothing. Perfect game for kids IMO.
I agree. I'm just curious why it was mentioned above when it came to games he found odd that the kids were playing.

I need some help from the dads.....

I also am finding out that they are all loving online app games such as Five Nights at Freddie's, Portal, SCP Containment Breach and games such as that.
What's wrong with Portal?
Nothing. Perfect game for kids IMO.
I agree. I'm just curious why it was mentioned above when it came to games he found odd that the kids were playing.
I honestly assumed there was some phone/tablet game that shared the same name when he posted this.

Haven't been in this thread for awhile. What's everyone playing?
Nothing right now. I'm going to spend the few days spending time with my family. We've had a good run, but starting Tuesday, I will no longer discuss anything non-Bloodborne related.
Interested in hearing your thoughts on Bloodborne
I've seen some gameplay (watching a stream right now). It's basically Dark Souls. The combat plays a little differently because there's no shield, so you have rely on dodging and riposting, but otherwise it has the same look and feel. I'll share my impressions when I get a chance to play next week.

Last edited by a moderator:
Haven't been in this thread for awhile. What's everyone playing?
Nothing right now. I'm going to spend the few days spending time with my family. We've had a good run, but starting Tuesday, I will no longer discuss anything non-Bloodborne related.
Interested in hearing your thoughts on Bloodborne
I've seen some gameplay (watching a stream right now). It's basically Dark Souls. The combat plays a little differently because there's no shield, so you have rely on dodging and riposting, but otherwise it has the same look and feel. I'll share my impressions when I get a chance to play next week.
If anything, the horror setting looks really good. It looks like a faster, more offensive-minded Dark Souls. Which might be good.

Chaka said:
Todem said:
Alien Isolation
I forgot to comment on your initial review of AI (I think it was you) you seemed to be very high on the game. From what I have read the principle complaint about AI was that it seemed to require a ton of backtracking, which because you have to sneak a ton can feel like it takes a long time. How did you feel about that?

Also most negative reviews commented that the game was just too long. According to Howlongtobeat a "Main+Extras" run takes an average of 33 hours, which seems fine to me, but the reviewers seemed to feel that the story itself just stopped being interesting that long into the game. Thoughts about that?
If your really into the Aliens universe and love the original film this game is a love letter to those fans (me). The game is truly about survival, sneaking, building tension and being resourceful.

I love the game. I have given it a rest recently but will pick up again this weekend. I am at 10/16 missions and feel the game is really well made. Outstanding atmosphere, music, tension. It is the very best Alien game ever made and it's not close.

Anyone playing MCC? Just finished a legendary run on CE and am playing multiplayer for the first time... It's sad to see how much I've missed with Halo (never had a 360).

Anyone playing MCC? Just finished a legendary run on CE and am playing multiplayer for the first time... It's sad to see how much I've missed with Halo (never had a 360).
Played the first two Halo games back in the day. Really liked the story of the games.

Never really got into the MP.

Did they add anything to the story of any of the games in MCC?

For those with a PS3, there's a flash sale through tomorrow with a ton of older games all for under $1 each.

I got:

Back To The Future: Full Game Series

Sam and Max Beyond Space and Time

Sam and Max: The Devil's Playground

Tales of Money Island Bundle

All for $3.20

I was in Target yesterday and noticed the smaller 360 library and realized that this is the first time I've been steadily playing a nearly non supported gaming system since the NES.

I'm waiting for that killer game. Is there a Gears on the horizon?

I was in Target yesterday and noticed the smaller 360 library and realized that this is the first time I've been steadily playing a nearly non supported gaming system since the NES.

Montana Football (2k) for the XBone this summer.

Bloodborne for the PS4 March 24th.

Halo 5 for the Xbone also sometime this year.

Can't think of any other exclusives

Montana Football (2k) for the XBone this summer.Bloodborne for the PS4 March 24th.

Halo 5 for the Xbone also sometime this year.

Can't think of any other exclusives
Rise of the Tomb Raider for Xbox One this year.New Gears will probably be officially announced at E3 this year. It's already been announced that MS is working on the Gears franchise (bought the license from Epic last year) but what they are specifically working on is unknown.

I read they might announce a new Gears of War at E3 but I can't see it coming out this year. Also, the company that made the other Gears games (Epic Games) isn't making the new games. Don't know how much you can but I thought I would note it for you.

For big budget games coming out soonish;

The Witcher 3 - May 19th

Bloodborne - March 24th (Tomorrow)

Batman Arkham Knight - June 23rd

Mortal Kombat X - April 14th

Mad Max - Sept 1st

Metal Gear Solid 5 - 1st

I made the cut off there because any release dates that far out stand a good chance of getting delayed. Also, football starts.

For those with a PS3, there's a flash sale through tomorrow with a ton of older games all for under $1 each.

I got:

Back To The Future: Full Game Series

Sam and Max Beyond Space and Time

Sam and Max: The Devil's Playground

Tales of Money Island Bundle

All for $3.20
Yep, I got BttF, Jurassic Park, Mortal Kombat, and Millionaire for my kids less than 5 bucks.

Got to give DA2 credit for an intricate storyline. Which is good because they lose points for using the same settings over and over. It's getting to the point I have places memorized that I have allegedly never been to. Very lazy game making in that regard.

Across the board the Bloodborne reviews have been good.

Long load times and lack of build options are the main negatives, where as the environment and combat are the two main pluses.

Seems to be averaging in the 9/10ish range for a score.

I watched a bunch on twitch today and looks fun.

Oh for sure.

Game is aesthetically stunning with both the world design/architecture and the combat. Hearkens back to Demon's Souls and DS1 with the sense of wonder it instills in you.

Now that I have the PS4, I'm getting the PS3 and Xbox 360 packed up for sale/trade.

It's a little bit sad. Which is kind of sad in it's own right. :nerd:

Now that I have the PS4, I'm getting the PS3 and Xbox 360 packed up for sale/trade.

I understand totally.

I gave my PS3 to a friend, and kept my 360 to continue some occasional Borderlands 2 multiplayer w/ friends. I also still love All Pro Football 2k8, and will likely keep it just for that.

I understand totally.

I gave my PS3 to a friend, and kept my 360 to continue some occasional Borderlands 2 multiplayer w/ friends. I also still love All Pro Football 2k8, and will likely keep it just for that.
The 360 is kind of fussy, so that's not tough. But I will miss Mass Effect terribly and I never did go back and play Bioshock again.

I keep thinking about going back and playing Uncharted 2 & 3. I guess I can do it on PS Now if I really feel like it.

But life moves on.

Is it reasonable to ask $250 for a PS3 250gb with three controllers (one is a knock off) and these 25 games?:

Assassin's Creed: Black Flag

Assassin's Creed 2

Destiny

Uncharted 1, 2, and 3

Deus Ex (both the original and Director's Cut)

God of War Collection (remastered 1 & 2)

God of War III

Battlefield Bad Company 2 (Brand New)

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2

Spec Ops: The Line

Killzone 2 & 3

Midnight Club: Los Angeles

Metal Gear Solid 4

Rainbow Six Vegas 2

Batman: Arkham Asylum

Marvel Ultimate Alliance

WW All Stars

NCAA Football 2012

EA NHL '11

Soul Calibur IV

Resident Evil 5

I understand totally.

The 360 is kind of fussy, so that's not tough. But I will miss Mass Effect terribly and I never did go back and play Bioshock again.

I keep thinking about going back and playing Uncharted 2 & 3. I guess I can do it on PS Now if I really feel like it.

But life moves on.

Is it reasonable to ask $250 for a PS3 250gb with three controllers (one is a knock off) and these 25 games?:

Assassin's Creed 2

Destiny

Uncharted 1, 2, and 3

God of War III

Killzone 2 & 3

Metal Gear Solid 4

Rainbow Six Vegas 2

Marvel Ultimate Alliance

WW All Stars

NCAA Football 2012

EA NHL '11

Soul Calibur IV

Resident Evil 5
Here are some used PS3 bundles that have recently sold on EBAY if you want to do a simple comparison

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&ghostText=&_sacat=0&_udlo=160&_nkw=playstation+3&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc

I understand totally.

But life moves on.

Assassin's Creed 2

Destiny

Uncharted 1, 2, and 3

God of War III

Killzone 2 & 3

Metal Gear Solid 4

Rainbow Six Vegas 2

Marvel Ultimate Alliance

WW All Stars

NCAA Football 2012

EA NHL '11

Soul Calibur IV

Resident Evil 5
Here are some used PS3 bundles that have recently sold on EBAY if you want to do a simple comparison

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&ghostText=&_sacat=0&_udlo=160&_nkw=playstation+3&LH_Complete=1&LH_Sold=1&rt=nc
We had the original 40gb with approximately 20 games. After looking at the prices we could get for it, we decided to just give it away. We have a lieutenant in a fire station that lives a couple houses down from us. He took it into the fire station and said the guys were really happy with it.

NCCommish said:
Got to give DA2 credit for an intricate storyline. Which is good because they lose points for using the same settings over and over. It's getting to the point I have places memorized that I have allegedly never been to. Very lazy game making in that regard.
Agree on both points. I think that is the principal complaint from everyone.

I'm going to consult the video game experts of this board...

EA has changed Tiger Woods to Rory in their golf game... Outside of some year to year updates and player ranking updates, the game should remain fairly similar year over year, correct?

NCCommish said:
Speaking of using the same area's for different missions. Destiny did an incredible job of this. They packed 25ish missions into what's really 4 (albeit large) circular areas. Really well done and I didn't realize they were all the same area until I'd completed the story line.

NCCommish said:
Speaking of using the same area's for different missions. Destiny did an incredible job of this. They packed 25ish missions into what's really 4 (albeit large) circular areas. Really well done and I didn't realize they were all the same area until I'd completed the story line.
The problem is the areas look the same to the point it's obvious.

NCCommish said:
They fixed that problem big time in DA3 but also really watered down the story. I think I preferred 2.

NCCommish said:
They fixed that problem big time in DA3 but also really watered down the story. I think I preferred 2.
Yeah the story is really good in DA2.

EA has changed Tiger Woods to Rory in their golf game... Outside of some year to year updates and player ranking updates, the game should remain fairly similar year over year, correct?
I haven't read anything about it but I can't see it changing much. As a realistic golf game I'm not really sure what major changes they could do.

It will be the first year for the new consoles and I think that would have bigger impact than the name change. Still nothing major though. It's not like they at switching to Rory McIlroy PGA Street golf or anything.

It depends what you are playing now. EA golf game mechanics have been fairly static for about 5 years. The biggest upgrades have been courses available (Augusta, etc), players, and graphics have gotten better.

I will buy it for the XB1 so I have it next gen. But I've usually skipped two or three years between purchases previously.

NCCommish said:
I kind of feel the same way about Diablo III so far. The enemies change, but the dungeons all look almost exactly the same.

Are you guys doing GTAV heists? They look fun on youtube.
My son and his buddies have been doing these. They definitely look like the kind of thing you want to do with friends, not randoms. They seem fairly challenging, with a high likelihood of getting screwed over if you rely on matchmaking.

It's neat that games like GTA and Destiny are incorporating some missions that require serious teamwork. I'm too anti-social for these to appeal to me, but I can definitely see where it offers console players an experience that used to be PC-only.

Are you guys doing GTAV heists? They look fun on youtube.
My son and his buddies have been doing these. They definitely look like the kind of thing you want to do with friends, not randoms. They seem fairly challenging, with a high likelihood of getting screwed over if you rely on matchmaking.

[ b]It's neat that games like GTA and Destiny are incorporating some missions that require serious teamwork. I'm too anti-social for these to appeal to me, but I can definitely see where it offers console players an experience that used to be PC-only.
Hands down the most fun Ive ever had in gaming were when teamwork was prevalent. The same group of guys in Gears waaaaay back when I played Rogue Spear on the PC.

When the teamwork is good, it's not even close. When there's randoms who don't work together it's unplayable.

NCCommish said:
I kind of feel the same way about Diablo III so far. The enemies change, but the dungeons all look almost exactly the same.
I'm curious....how would you suggest they change things up?

Off the top of my head the maps types I can think of:

Walled dungeons

Flooded Caves

The Halls of Heaven

Wide open fields of war

Swamp jungle

Desert

Village streets

Got in a few hours with Bloodborne yesterday. I'm not very far in, obviously, but so far it's exactly what I expected. It's clearly a Souls game -- the engine, art direction, inscrutability, difficulty, UI look, etc. all look like they could have been Dark Souls DLC. That said, the combat really does play pretty differently. There's no magic to speak of, so you can't fall back on Firestorm or Homing Crystal Soul Mass to cheese enemies. There are also no shields, so you can't just stand there and tank enemies either. My guess is that those two changes eliminate the play style of 95% of the people who played previous titles, me included. Instead, you have to fight aggressively and with a sense of urgency. You're going to take damage on a fairly regular basis, but you can recover some or all of the damage you just took by retaliating quickly. Whereas in Souls games, you instinctively back off to recover if you get hit, in Bloodborne its often better to double-down by hitting back first. There's also a big emphasis on the parry-and-riposte mechanic, which in this game relies on using firearms to stun enemies. The melee combat is different, but still fantastic and addictive.

If you've played Demons or Dark Souls, you'll recognize a lot of the same basics and adjust pretty quickly. I only died a couple of times before reaching the first boss, and that was due mostly to not having the controls mapped out in my mind quite right. For some reason there was no fog gate warning me that I was entering the first boss area -- I wasn't prepared and died to him on my first attempt, but beat him with no serious problem on my second attempt. But I beat Demon's Souls 6-7 times and Dark Souls 3 times; this first area feels like a tutorial. People who are new to these games are going to find this very challenging. Bloodborne throws some fairly large mobs and ambushes at you right off the bat, presumably to teach new players the importance of moving slowly and cautiously and drawing stragglers away from the main group.

My early impression is that character builds are going to be a little dumbed-down. There are far fewer weapons, and I believe there's only one possible upgrade path for each. I also don't think you can upgrade armor. One cool aspect is that most weapons can be switched back and forth into two variants. For example, I'm currently rolling with a longsword that you can plug into a big giant metal block to convert into a two-handed hammer. Each weapon has more versatility than a standard Souls weapon would, but I haven't decided yet whether that makes up for the smaller number of weapons and lower amount of customization overall.

It wouldn't be a Souls game if it didn't have some performance issues. Apparently this game doesn't even lock in at 30 fps most of the time, which is hard to believe because it's not exactly a graphical powerhouse or anything. If you decide to roll through a big group of barrels, expect a slideshow. Loading times when you warp between areas are just long enough to be slightly annoying. These are minor issues though -- certainly nothing game-breaking.

So far, so good.

Users who are viewing this thread