What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (9 Viewers)

Yeah,  you have the Enhanced for BG, BG2, Icewind Dale.  Neverwinter Nights is older but amazing.  NWN2 great.  
I think I confused myself looking at to many games today.

Is Neverwinter the same game family as Neverwinter Nights or are these two different things entirely?  If different, is Neverwinter any good?

Took advantage of a few Black Friday deals and finally broke down and bought an HTC Vive that's arriving tomorrow. For those that don't know, it's one of the real VR Headsets. Also bought a bunch of games for it. Steam has a 2 hour trial on their games which I'll use to determine which games I want to keep/refund. There were a lot of games that had equivalents that isn't clear which is the 'better' option, so I bought both and will try both for 90 min while refunding the other. For example Audioshield vs Holodance and Project Cars vs Assetto Corsa. There's also a ton of free smaller games I'm going to try out. Luckily most of the games I got were also on sale during the Steam Autumn sale. 

If people are interested in what VR is like right now, whether I think it's worth the price, or if it's simply a gimmick, I'll leave a comprehensive review after I've tried it out for a bit to let you know what I think.

My initial concerns:

All the games that I've see right now available for it are by indie developers and seem to have very little content. They look more like glorified tech demos which explains the usual $10-30 price tag on these games. However, if the experience is just 5 hours, is it really worth it? I'll find out.

There is a HUGE divide in the VR community on the preferred type of locomotion used by a game. Read: How the hell do you walk around? The three main options are 1) Using the touch pad on the Vive controller similar to Steam Controller. 2) D-Pad on XBox (or similar) controller. 3) Teleportation where you aim on the ground and teleport a short distance like a click-to-move adventure game.

The last option seems like a horrible option from an immersion perspective (I mean, you've got a VR headset and you're clicking to move? How crappy does that sound?!) However it also seems to unfortunately be the preferred movement type for a lot of players because the other options make them feel a bit seasick since their body movement is disconnected from their perspective. For some reason moving with a dpad while in VR makes some people feel ill, enough so that many games don't even offer other locomotion options other than teleport. I'm particularly interested in my findings on all 3 locomotion types.

The vast majority of AAA developers may not produce actual content for VR for quite some time due to there only being a few hundred thousand units in circulation and it's difficult to turn a profit even if EVERY VR user buys their game. People are waiting for great games before they plunge into VR and great game developers are waiting for people to buy VR units before they invest in great games. Bethesda is working on Fallout 4 VR sometime in 2017, but it looks to be a teleport locomotion... Ugh.

Dear god Wolfenstein: The New Order is good. Im sick of FPS but its so good. Enemy IA is intelligent and they often give you situations where they get you in a corridor and the enemy is bunched up as cannon fodder. Weapons are ridiculous. So fun.

You know, over the years I have learned that I get the most joy out of taking a chance on $5-$20 games. I hit on them far more often then games which cost more. Even if I pay $5 for a game that has some type of fun MP an I can play just a night or two with a buddy and drink a few beers, its still cheaper then going to the movies and I get far more hours out of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dear god Wolfenstein: The New Order is good. Im sick of FPS but its so good. Enemy IA is intelligent and they often give you situations where they get you in a corridor and the enemy is bunched up as cannon fodder. Weapons are ridiculous. So fun.

You know, over the years I have learned that I get the most joy out of taking a chance on $5-$20 games. I hit on them far more often then games which cost more. Even if I pay $5 for a game that has some type of fun MP an I can play just a night or two with a buddy and drink a few beers, its still cheaper then going to the movies and I get far more hours out of it.
Yup that one was really good

This is just an expectations thing. It happens to everybody and it happens in almost every industry. My "favourite" vehicle was a beat up 94 Ford Ranger. My expectations for that vehicle were so low that when it didn't just immediately fall apart, it vastly exceeded my expectations. 

Same thing with games, there's lots of $5-$20 games that I enjoy but overall they have also varied a lot depending on how much I'd heard about them. Journey, for example, I heard was this amazing game that people cried at the end of. I didn't think it was that great at all. 

I'm not saying you are "wrong" I'm just putting out a likely cause to as to why you feel you "hit" on those more often than full price games.

Also, I believe that Wolfenstein was either released at $60 or $40 originally. In that aspect waiting for a game to age and get a price drop is the smartest thing anyone can do, that plays offline games. Better price, usually more content and most of the bugs are fixed. 

Anyone play Stellaris? Looks like a combination of Civ plus Dragon Age which would be fun but don't know if it's $40 fun.
Steam was recommending me that game I was buying a Total War package. Looks interesting but it looks extremely deep too. If the price is concerning, just wait. Steam is usually pretty good with sales. Have you watched any YouTube videos of the game?

Steam was recommending me that game I was buying a Total War package. Looks interesting but it looks extremely deep too. If the price is concerning, just wait. Steam is usually pretty good with sales. Have you watched any YouTube videos of the game?
I watched some 20 minute YouTuber game start. It looked fun and awesome or stagnant in replay.

But I really don't need another game. I've played half of too much in the last 24 - one millionth months.

I think I confused myself looking at to many games today.

Is Neverwinter the same game family as Neverwinter Nights or are these two different things entirely?  If different, is Neverwinter any good?
Neverwinter is an MMO. NWN and NWN2 are games that can be multiplayer or singleplayer.

Also, I believe that Wolfenstein was either released at $60 or $40 originally. In that aspect waiting for a game to age and get a price drop is the smartest thing anyone can do, that plays offline games. Better price, usually more content and most of the bugs are fixed. 
The Old Blood was released originally at $20. The New Order was a full price retail release.

I haven't tried Online yet, I haven't played online in probably 2 years. I'll suck but looking forward to it.

I read the Campaign is short, which is fine by me, I'm enjoying it so far

anyone play cities:skylines....?

i had it in my wishlist from a long time ago and it is on sale for like 8 bucks...

Still haven't played the Titanfall 2 I grabbed last weekend, but picked up The Old Blood for $6 on Steam.  I think I have about 4 years worth of backlog if I didn't work and just played games straight through. :bag:

anyone play cities:skylines....?

i had it in my wishlist from a long time ago and it is on sale for like 8 bucks...
Yes and it's fantastic. It has dethroned SimCity. I paid full price when it was released and it was worth every penny. Make sure you hook up to the steam workshop for the good mods and custom buildings. 

Thanks, I had this in my games wish list on amazon and the Steam download is only $7 right now and I had a few $1 credits for slow shipping so I pulled the trigger.  I have a hard time paying over $20 for a game so I usually wait a year or so to buy games.  I wore out Return to Castle Wolfenstein back in the day, so looking forward to the member berries here.

Still haven't played the Titanfall 2 I grabbed last weekend, but picked up The Old Blood for $6 on Steam.  I think I have about 4 years worth of backlog if I didn't work and just played games straight through. :bag:
I still have Witcher 1&2 I bought in a steam sale 4 years ago and barely scratched the beginning of 1.

Sigh

Took advantage of a few Black Friday deals and finally broke down and bought an HTC Vive that's arriving tomorrow. For those that don't know, it's one of the real VR Headsets. Also bought a bunch of games for it. Steam has a 2 hour trial on their games which I'll use to determine which games I want to keep/refund. There were a lot of games that had equivalents that isn't clear which is the 'better' option, so I bought both and will try both for 90 min while refunding the other. For example Audioshield vs Holodance and Project Cars vs Assetto Corsa. There's also a ton of free smaller games I'm going to try out. Luckily most of the games I got were also on sale during the Steam Autumn sale. 

If people are interested in what VR is like right now, whether I think it's worth the price, or if it's simply a gimmick, I'll leave a comprehensive review after I've tried it out for a bit to let you know what I think.

My initial concerns:

All the games that I've see right now available for it are by indie developers and seem to have very little content. They look more like glorified tech demos which explains the usual $10-30 price tag on these games. However, if the experience is just 5 hours, is it really worth it? I'll find out.

There is a HUGE divide in the VR community on the preferred type of locomotion used by a game. Read: How the hell do you walk around? The three main options are 1) Using the touch pad on the Vive controller similar to Steam Controller. 2) D-Pad on XBox (or similar) controller. 3) Teleportation where you aim on the ground and teleport a short distance like a click-to-move adventure game.

The last option seems like a horrible option from an immersion perspective (I mean, you've got a VR headset and you're clicking to move? How crappy does that sound?!) However it also seems to unfortunately be the preferred movement type for a lot of players because the other options make them feel a bit seasick since their body movement is disconnected from their perspective. For some reason moving with a dpad while in VR makes some people feel ill, enough so that many games don't even offer other locomotion options other than teleport. I'm particularly interested in my findings on all 3 locomotion types.

The vast majority of AAA developers may not produce actual content for VR for quite some time due to there only being a few hundred thousand units in circulation and it's difficult to turn a profit even if EVERY VR user buys their game. People are waiting for great games before they plunge into VR and great game developers are waiting for people to buy VR units before they invest in great games. Bethesda is working on Fallout 4 VR sometime in 2017, but it looks to be a teleport locomotion... Ugh.
I, too, purchased the Vive. It's under the tree so it won't be touched until Christmas. I can hardly wait. 

I have 700 into Skyrim, 600 into FO3 and New Vegas each, around 500 into Civ5, and a bunch in the 100 - 300 range.

I probably have 4500 or so playing hours in Steam.  I'll have to take a look later.

Curious if anyone is gaming with the Oculus Rift and games/experience?  Eve Valkyrie looks promising. if limited.

Since they announced they're stopping making them, the Disney Infinity stuff is super cheap.  I just picked up the 3.0 Star wars bundle (game, pad, story, 5 characters) for $20 from walmart.com and then another 8 or so characters for $4 each from Toys R Us.  Gonna be a good Hanukkah up in the Chateau Kanil!

Users who are viewing this thread