What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (8 Viewers)

@Scoresman Does it have the same open world do-whatever structure as a regular Elder Scrolls game? The same open levelling system where you can combine any skills you want? Or is it a more class-based MMO structure to give players certain combat roles? 
It's entirely open world in that you can quest wherever you want, whenever you want like Skyrim.  Things will scale to your level.  It's not at all like other MMOs where there is a zone for level 1-10, 10-20, etc.  

There is a more rigid class system than Skyrim in that you do choose a class when you make a character, but every class can fill almost every role and use every weapon/armor type.  It's not nearly as rigid as other MMOs.  There are a lot of shared skill lines for all characters.  For example, weapon types and armor types have their own skill lines so for example, two characters of different classes that both use 2 handed weapons both have access to the 2 handed weapon skill lines, etc.  There are also skill lines for all of the major guilds that are shared between classes.  And re-speccing your character is dirt cheap.

I completely missed what Elite Dangerous is about. I thought it was some kind of empire building game. With first person flying and dog fights.

I just lost my mind trying to land my ship in the tutorial. I thought the steep learning curve was going to be learning the systems. As in trading, upgrades, politics, building etc. Not parking the dang thing. I've given up and will be moving on to something different. You people that can place this game are better humans than I.  :tebow:

I completely missed what Elite Dangerous is about. I thought it was some kind of empire building game. With first person flying and dog fights.

I just lost my mind trying to land my ship in the tutorial. I thought the steep learning curve was going to be learning the systems. As in trading, upgrades, politics, building etc. Not parking the dang thing. I've given up and will be moving on to something different. You people that can place this game are better humans than I.  :tebow:
Yeah, I can dock my ship just fine now, but I am going to be moving on as well.  Basically, it's a game about making money so you can buy a better ship to make more money so you can buy an even better ship.  And all of that involves mining asteroids or running trading routes or stuff like that.  And the galaxy is so incredibly massive that I really don't know where to go or how to get there.  I definitely understand why this game has been so successful and has the following that it has, but it's not for me.

I feel like I cant gush enough about Elder Scrolls Online.  The more I play it, the more I realize it's just better than Skyrim in many ways, and that it's much closer to that game than it is to other MMORPGs.  You can casually play 95% of the game without ever interacting with another player if you choose.  You will never find the lame but typical "Collect 5 bear ###" MMO style quests either.  Just about every quest has its own plot line complete with voice acting.   Like Skyrim, there's a main plot, subplots for the various guilds, and they also added plots for the three alliances in the game.  There are DLCs for both Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood, and I feel both have the best implementation of any Elder Scrolls game to date.  The crafting system is also way deeper than Skyrim was.  There's just so much to do.

I'd also guess it has at least five times the land mass that Skyrim had, including the entire Eastern half of Skyrim, all of Morrowind, and Cyrodiil which brings you back to the times of playing those older ES titles and visiting those locations.

Oh, and the game is also really pretty.  Here's my goggle-wearing Argonian Templar at a place that you might recognize from Skyrim, the Riften outdoor market.
I tired but it just didn't grab me like the RPG Elder Scrolls games. I felt it was very limiting in it's RPG elements.

Trying to turn a double play in The Show 17 is one of the most aggravating things in video games. The guy gets the ground hit, touches 2nd base all while you're pushing the button to throw to first.....AND JUST EFFING STANDS THERE SCRATCHING HIS BALL SACK. Then, after the batter has already run through 1st, he suddenly realizes, "oh, I'm supposed to throw the ball to 1st," and throws it. 

:rant:

I feel like I cant gush enough about Elder Scrolls Online.  The more I play it, the more I realize it's just better than Skyrim in many ways, and that it's much closer to that game than it is to other MMORPGs.  You can casually play 95% of the game without ever interacting with another player if you choose.  You will never find the lame but typical "Collect 5 bear ###" MMO style quests either.  Just about every quest has its own plot line complete with voice acting.   Like Skyrim, there's a main plot, subplots for the various guilds, and they also added plots for the three alliances in the game.  There are DLCs for both Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood, and I feel both have the best implementation of any Elder Scrolls game to date.  The crafting system is also way deeper than Skyrim was.  There's just so much to do.

I'd also guess it has at least five times the land mass that Skyrim had, including the entire Eastern half of Skyrim, all of Morrowind, and Cyrodiil which brings you back to the times of playing those older ES titles and visiting those locations.

Oh, and the game is also really pretty.  Here's my goggle-wearing Argonian Templar at a place that you might recognize from Skyrim, the Riften outdoor market.
I bought this between Skyrim and Fallout4, played it some, then dropped it when Fallout came out. Now you're making me want to pick it back up. I've heard other people gushing about it too. 

Has it changed a lot with the Morriwind expansion or something? I played 5-10 hours or so when it first came out and returned it, it didn't feel like Skyrim gameplay at all to me despite the Elder Scrolls trappings and the similar feeling combat. 

Has it changed a lot with the Morriwind expansion or something? I played 5-10 hours or so when it first came out and returned it, it didn't feel like Skyrim gameplay at all to me despite the Elder Scrolls trappings and the similar feeling combat. 
Did you play before the One Tamriel update?  That was when they changed it to be open world and vastly improved questing and before that it was pretty bad. 

Did you play before the One Tamriel update?  That was when they changed it to be open world and vastly improved questing and before that it was pretty bad. 

No, it was right near the beginning that I checked it out. I'm not an MMO guy but it screamed everything I was afraid an MMO would be without the ridiculously deep/varied inventory of something like WoW (from what I saw in my limited time).

Maybe I need to check out some new gameplay and it's much more like a traditional Elder Scrolls game than I'm giving it credit for. 

Gave up on Battlefield 1.  I didn't care for the weapon unlocking system.  I wasn't that good so the money to unlock weapons came slow, and after a couple of bad purchases of guns that didn't feel like an improvement, it lost its enjoyment.

Last edited by a moderator:
BF1 is a game I feel like I should enjoy, but I find it to be hit or miss when I'm actually playing it. If you have a good team it's fun, but I don't know if there's anything more frustrating in all of gaming than a team of snipers in BF1 just hanging out two miles from the action trying to get a headshot. 

Bull Dozier said:
Gave up on Battlefield 1.  I didn't care for the weapon unlocking system.  I wasn't that good so the money to unlock weapons came slow, and after a couple of bad purchases of guns that didn't feel like an improvement, it lost its enjoyment.
I've been playing it on PS4 with friends since release, and I have just never loved it. I've never figured out exactly what it is that I don't like. Maybe it's that my tv/eyes arent good enough or the colors aren't great because I feel like I can't see enemies nearly as well as they see me. 

Or maybe it's that all the guns just feel terrible to me. Or maybe it's that 64 players on a map just doesn't work well with my preferred style. I feel like no matter where I go or what I do, I'm getting killed by someone hiding in every corner, hilltop, roof, etc. 

The game just has never clicked for me despite me wanting to like it.

Scoresman said:
I played it in Beta and then on release when it was still a subscription based game.  It was OK but had zero end game so I dropped it.  I'm not going back to it now.

I've been playing it on PS4 with friends since release, and I have just never loved it. I've never figured out exactly what it is that I don't like. Maybe it's that my tv/eyes arent good enough or the colors aren't great because I feel like I can't see enemies nearly as well as they see me. 

Or maybe it's that all the guns just feel terrible to me. Or maybe it's that 64 players on a map just doesn't work well with my preferred style. I feel like no matter where I go or what I do, I'm getting killed by someone hiding in every corner, hilltop, roof, etc. 

The game just has never clicked for me despite me wanting to like it.
I think this is a big part of it for me.  The maps are huge, and there are a lot of people.  Logically, you would think this is a good idea, but I always seem to play it wrong.  If I spawn and decide to be stealthy, I move from cover to cover trying to find some action or someone to catch off guard.  I then spend the entire game finding myself in about three encounters.  Or, if I spawn and run to the action that looks be be all the way on the other side of the map, I run for a few minutes and then get gunned down by a camper just as I get close.

For some reason, I've never tried the smaller game option.  Maybe it would be better?  Maybe not. :shrug:   I'm just hoping the new COD WWII game has the feel of Battlefield 1 (ie, not spacey and jet pack jumping all over) with the pace of COD that I prefer.

I played it in Beta and then on release when it was still a subscription based game.  It was OK but had zero end game so I dropped it.  I'm not going back to it now.
Yeah that's back when the general consensus of the game was that it was bad.  It's pretty much entirely different now.  

Keep in mind it's still an MMO so nobody should go in expecting Skyrim 2.  But it's the least MMO-like MMO I've ever played if that makes sense and I love the Elder Scrolls world so it's a perfect match for me.  

I honestly don't even know what's in the "end game", but that's part of what sets this game apart.  It's not a race to max level to get to the end game like so many other MMOs.  The world is so huge and interesting, I will spend hours upon hours just questing through the world and exploring, I imagine even at max level.  

Yeah that's back when the general consensus of the game was that it was bad.  It's pretty much entirely different now.  

Keep in mind it's still an MMO so nobody should go in expecting Skyrim 2.  But it's the least MMO-like MMO I've ever played if that makes sense and I love the Elder Scrolls world so it's a perfect match for me.  

I honestly don't even know what's in the "end game", but that's part of what sets this game apart.  It's not a race to max level to get to the end game like so many other MMOs.  The world is so huge and interesting, I will spend hours upon hours just questing through the world and exploring, I imagine even at max level.  
So is this what I would purchase for the Xbox?

flysack said:
Trying to turn a double play in The Show 17 is one of the most aggravating things in video games. The guy gets the ground hit, touches 2nd base all while you're pushing the button to throw to first.....AND JUST EFFING STANDS THERE SCRATCHING HIS BALL SACK. Then, after the batter has already run through 1st, he suddenly realizes, "oh, I'm supposed to throw the ball to 1st," and throws it. 

:rant:
You just need to learn how to play properly. I have been playing this series since 2009 (and it was the same principal with MVP baseball etc).

You must pre-load your throws. 

Period. 

You can't wait till your infielder get the ball in his glove. As you are moving to the ball....immediately load your throw to 2B before he even fields it. Once the ball leaves his hand pre-load your throw to first from the guy catching your feed from SS or 2B or 3B or 1st base (wherever the turn started).

It is seamless once you understand how to pre-load throws while in the act of fielding the ball.

Looks like for XBox you're choosing between the Morrowind expansion vs. the Gold Edition.  

Morrowind is going to include the base game plus the Morrowind expansion, but does NOT include the 4 DLC packs: the Thieves Guild, the Dark Brotherhood, Orsinium (orc city), and Imperial City (pvp stuff).  You'd have to buy the individual DLCs separately.

The Gold edition includes the base game and four DLC packs but NOT the Morrowind expansion.

It's a matter of what you want more, Morrowind nostalgia vs. the content of the other four DLC packs.  There is going to be way more game content in the four DLC packs in terms of game hours.  

Also, you might want to look up impressions and gameplay for the XBox version.  I'm on the PC version and have no idea how good the XBox implementation is.  

How

Looks like for XBox you're choosing between the Morrowind expansion vs. the Gold Edition.  

Morrowind is going to include the base game plus the Morrowind expansion, but does NOT include the 4 DLC packs: the Thieves Guild, the Dark Brotherhood, Orsinium (orc city), and Imperial City (pvp stuff).  You'd have to buy the individual DLCs separately.

The Gold edition includes the base game and four DLC packs but NOT the Morrowind expansion.

It's a matter of what you want more, Morrowind nostalgia vs. the content of the other four DLC packs.  There is going to be way more game content in the four DLC packs in terms of game hours.  

Also, you might want to look up impressions and gameplay for the XBox version.  I'm on the PC version and have no idea how good the XBox implementation is.  
how do the quests stack up in terms of story / characters?

How

how do the quests stack up in terms of story / characters?
Quests are one of the strong points of the game.  There are no boring MMO style Collect X Rabbit paws or whatever BS.  First, there is a main, central plot to the game that I've found interesting so far.  It involves the Daedra trying to invade all of Tamriel.  Then there are the three faction storylines.   I'm only involved in my own character's faction quest line so far, but what I've liked about it is that just about all of the quests in the entire zone have been related to the ongoing faction storyline somehow.  It connects everything and makes the world seem whole and interconnected. All of the quests I've come across have been fully voice acted as well.  And they seemed to have hired more voice actors since Skyrim, which I thought suffered from the same 5 or 6 voice actors doing all of the characters.  They even got the guy who played Dumbledore in Harry Potter to do the main quest line NPC.  

Also, the various guilds have their own story/quest lines like in Skyrim.  My favorites have been the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood which IMO have better stories than their Skyrim counterparts.  There's also a new guild called the Undaunted that focus on having you kill tough monsters in dungeons.  

I feel like the main difference between Skyrim and ES:O is in the combat.  The game has typical MMO style skill based combat where you learn skills, put them on a hotbar and use them in combat.  Combat is very much run up to monsters and whittle them down with your skills, healing every now and then.  One thing I miss from Skyrim is being able to play a stealthy, archery based character.  There are bows and there is sneaking, but I haven't seen any way to combine them into a build yet.  

Quests are one of the strong points of the game.  There are no boring MMO style Collect X Rabbit paws or whatever BS.  First, there is a main, central plot to the game that I've found interesting so far.  It involves the Daedra trying to invade all of Tamriel.  Then there are the three faction storylines.   I'm only involved in my own character's faction quest line so far, but what I've liked about it is that just about all of the quests in the entire zone have been related to the ongoing faction storyline somehow.  It connects everything and makes the world seem whole and interconnected. All of the quests I've come across have been fully voice acted as well.  And they seemed to have hired more voice actors since Skyrim, which I thought suffered from the same 5 or 6 voice actors doing all of the characters.  They even got the guy who played Dumbledore in Harry Potter to do the main quest line NPC.  

Also, the various guilds have their own story/quest lines like in Skyrim.  My favorites have been the Thieves Guild and Dark Brotherhood which IMO have better stories than their Skyrim counterparts.  There's also a new guild called the Undaunted that focus on having you kill tough monsters in dungeons.  

I feel like the main difference between Skyrim and ES:O is in the combat.  The game has typical MMO style skill based combat where you learn skills, put them on a hotbar and use them in combat.  Combat is very much run up to monsters and whittle them down with your skills, healing every now and then.  One thing I miss from Skyrim is being able to play a stealthy, archery based character.  There are bows and there is sneaking, but I haven't seen any way to combine them into a build yet.  
good stuff. thanks.

My Asus G75VX, decided that it couldn't bear to end our eight day holiday in Kauai and when I tried to fire it up yesterday it was DOA. It was a great rig that gave me six years of dedicated service despite the fact that I beat the heck out of it on a regular basis.

The good news is it was my work computer too and my new MSI Aegis 3 (GTX 1070) arrives on Friday on the company dime.

The last "big-time" new release I was able to play was Watch Dogs (on very minimal settings). Very excited to start working back on some of the games I have been dying to play but been unable to thus far.  I hear No Man's Sky is insane!

I've heard they made some really good improvements to it but I'm over it after that release.  Doubt I'll ever go back.
Same here. I moved on to Elite Dangerous which for me is the gold standard in space flight sim/exploration/pirate/trade/smuggling.

It's not for everyone. But my brother in-law and I have a hoot playing together and talking with each other while we adventure around the vast...and I mean truly vast 1:1 Milkyway galaxy. Just enourmous. 

Right now I am a cross between a space trucker and smuggler. I currently have over 2.5M credits and building so I can go on a two ship shopping spree. I want a true passenger crusier to use strictly for transportation of political figures and rich space tourists and I will use my Cobra MK for transporting illegal passengers. I also want a Diamondback deep space explorer ship. And then also I want a true decked out fighter to be a bounty hunter. I need a real bad ### fighter to have a chance against accomplished pilots. These low level ships can only handle average to below average pilots, the real cash is made taking out serious pirates and baddies who are elite like pilots. 

The game is what you make of it. There is a full on economy, political system and yes....you are living in a real MMO galaxy. So you need to earn a living. But how you earn it is where the fun is.

Trucker? Miner? Bounty Hunter? Federal Hero? Independent anarchist? The options a many and you can do several, once you build your own mini fleet of different ship types.

The politics and systems hardships or economic booms change dynamically and are based on the entire MMO of players who change the direction and destiny of all of it. Your actions and missions help influence what happens.

It is a deep deep game to say the least. I am sure after 4,5 months I will get sick of it. But what a ride I am having so far.

I am finding this to be what I thought No Mans Sky was supposed to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are there any good co-op (same room/non-online) action games for PS4? 
What about recent co-op PC games?

Honestly since Borderlands 2 and The Pre-Sequel I'm not sure there is anything memorable (Dead Island 1 & 2 I guess).

Do you enjoy ARPG's?  If so I know a lot of people have enjoyed Diablo 3's couch co op mode.
Yep. I want to start gaming with my wife so we can do more "interactive" stuff together instead of just watching TV/movies.
She liked Skyrim, but quit cuz she betrayed the Jarl of Whiterun and felt so guilty she couldn't continue playing (wimmin  :rolleyes: )
She also liked The Last of Us, she played on easy mode with me giving her hints. The she got cocky and I stopped helping her, then she keep dying to clickers and then she quit :lol:

Honestly since Borderlands 2 and The Pre-Sequel I'm not sure there is anything memorable (Dead Island 1 & 2 I guess).
Unfortunately, she only has a work-issued Surface laptop so we can't play on PC.

Todem said:
Same here. I moved on to Elite Dangerous which for me is the gold standard in space flight sim/exploration/pirate/trade/smuggling.

It's not for everyone. But my brother in-law and I have a hoot playing together and talking with each other while we adventure around the vast...and I mean truly vast 1:1 Milkyway galaxy. Just enourmous. 

Right now I am a cross between a space trucker and smuggler. I currently have over 2.5M credits and building so I can go on a two ship shopping spree. I want a true passenger crusier to use strictly for transportation of political figures and rich space tourists and I will use my Cobra MK for transporting illegal passengers. I also want a Diamondback deep space explorer ship. And then also I want a true decked out fighter to be a bounty hunter. I need a real bad ### fighter to have a chance against accomplished pilots. These low level ships can only handle average to below average pilots, the real cash is made taking out serious pirates and baddies who are elite like pilots. 

The game is what you make of it. There is a full on economy, political system and yes....you are living in a real MMO galaxy. So you need to earn a living. But how you earn it is where the fun is.

Trucker? Miner? Bounty Hunter? Federal Hero? Independent anarchist? The options a many and you can do several, once you build your own mini fleet of different ship types.

The politics and systems hardships or economic booms change dynamically and are based on the entire MMO of players who change the direction and destiny of all of it. Your actions and missions help influence what happens.

It is a deep deep game to say the least. I am sure after 4,5 months I will get sick of it. But what a ride I am having so far.

I am finding this to be what I thought No Mans Sky was supposed to be.
I may have to check this out.

Answering my own question I just went to co-optimus for the bazillionth time and I cam up with a bunch.  We are primarily campaign oriented people, anyone have any thoughts on these games?

Diablo 3

The Division

Ghost Recon Wildlands

Warhammer Vermintide The End Times

The Elder Scrolls Online Morrowind

Evolve

Rocket League - I know this isn't campaign but everyone seems to love this one.

Battleborn

Lara Croft and The Temple of Osiris

Final Exam

Yep. I want to start gaming with my wife so we can do more "interactive" stuff together instead of just watching TV/movies.
She liked Skyrim, but quit cuz she betrayed the Jarl of Whiterun and felt so guilty she couldn't continue playing (wimmin  :rolleyes: )
She also liked The Last of Us, she played on easy mode with me giving her hints. The she got cocky and I stopped helping her, then she keep dying to clickers and then she quit :lol:
The Marvel Lego games.

Answering my own question I just went to co-optimus for the bazillionth time and I cam up with a bunch.  We are primarily campaign oriented people, anyone have any thoughts on these games?

Diablo 3

The Division

Ghost Recon Wildlands

Warhammer Vermintide The End Times

The Elder Scrolls Online Morrowind

Evolve

Rocket League - I know this isn't campaign but everyone seems to love this one.

Battleborn

Lara Croft and The Temple of Osiris

Final Exam
A lot of these are co-op but not couch co-op

Is there anything like Dead Nation for PS4? I have it on PS3 but I don't want to get a 2nd controller for 1 game.

Users who are viewing this thread