What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Video games...what ya playing? And what are you looking forward to? (11 Viewers)

Still have yet to see anything with anyone getting PS5s in store. It seems like the NE of States is more dry than ever. Funny since when they first came out everyone and their mother around here was able to get PS5s fairly easy. 

Still have yet to see anything with anyone getting PS5s in store. It seems like the NE of States is more dry than ever. Funny since when they first came out everyone and their mother around here was able to get PS5s fairly easy. 
I've been following one of the guys on twitter recommended in here a while back. He always has when they drop on different retailers websites, but all the times I've tried I am nowhere close to getting one. Honestly have lost most interest for now and only half-assedly following at this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got bored about halfway through Fenyx Rising.  Cute little game, just eh.  I'm sure I'll come back to it.  

Will probably get geared up on the Star Wars fallen order game sometime this week. 

Main thing at the moment:  The Legend of Zelda Majora's mask.  I played Ocarina of time and beat it.  Never got going on MM.  Been going pretty constantly all day today.  This is the most excited/immersed I've felt in a long time.  
I really enjoyed the main game, but the DLCs really sucked IMO they were these time trial type things that were really hard for me.

I've been following one of the guys on twitter recommended in here a while back. He always has when they drop on different retailers websites, but all the times I've tried I am nowhere close to getting one. Honestly have lost most interest for now and only half-assedly following at this point.
That's where I am at with trying to get one.

how does everyone rationalize spending time playing games when you could be doing something more productive? I'm not throwing shade, I'm talking about myself too. sometimes when I'm playing, I think I could be doing something else (working on the house, learning a new skill, going for a run, working on a new business, etc.). I've been playing games pretty much my whole life, and it's hard to find the time now, even though I still enjoy it. but at some point do you say that it's time to move on from gaming?

complicating matters is that the games I enjoy the most are the RPGs that take a long time to finish. I'm about halfway through Outer Worlds, and I'm really liking it, but also wondering how much longer it is. I have a list of games I started but never finished (Horizon Zero Dawn, Fallout 4, Witcher 3, SW Fallen Jedi), and a few more I'd like to play (Mass Effect Legendary, Persona 5 Royal, Dragon Age Inquisition, Cyberpunk).

what's the opportunity cost of spending time playing games?

Maik Jeaunz said:
how does everyone rationalize spending time playing games when you could be doing something more productive? I'm not throwing shade, I'm talking about myself too. sometimes when I'm playing, I think I could be doing something else (working on the house, learning a new skill, going for a run, working on a new business, etc.). I've been playing games pretty much my whole life, and it's hard to find the time now, even though I still enjoy it. but at some point do you say that it's time to move on from gaming?

complicating matters is that the games I enjoy the most are the RPGs that take a long time to finish. I'm about halfway through Outer Worlds, and I'm really liking it, but also wondering how much longer it is. I have a list of games I started but never finished (Horizon Zero Dawn, Fallout 4, Witcher 3, SW Fallen Jedi), and a few more I'd like to play (Mass Effect Legendary, Persona 5 Royal, Dragon Age Inquisition, Cyberpunk).

Um it's a hobby :shrug:

do you feel guilty watching TV, watching a sport, reading a book, fishing, golfing, gardening, insert whatever other thing you enjoy doing?

do you feel guilty watching TV, watching a sport, reading a book, fishing, golfing, gardening, insert whatever other thing you enjoy doing?
exactly how I see it - it's a hobby, no different than any other hobby.

I've been playing "It Takes Two" with my 12-year-old son. It's highly recommended if you enjoy co-op and puzzles. The story is surprisingly strong, too. Basically, an at-home dad and working mom are always bickering, and their decision to divorce causes their daughter to cry magical tears onto two dolls that come to life as the mom and dad. The mom and dad (as the dolls) have to work their way back to the daughter to get her to cry on them and transform them back. But there are a lot of conversations about the mom always traveling for work and not being home, which are similar to conversations my wife and I have had ourselves (I'm in at-home dad).

The puzzles are pretty inventive, and the levels will give each character some ability they can use only on that level (i.e. the mom will have special boots that allow her to walk on walls, while the dad can transform to bug-size or giant-size). You really do have to work together. I've been playing video games for 40 years, but I was cracking up when my son was yelling, "Dad, just jump up on that! What are you doing? Oh my god how did you fall off that! No, right in front of you! Just pull that! Where are you going?" There are a lot of natural stopping points so even if you just want to play for 30 or 60 minutes, it works. Pretty enjoyable game.

Maik Jeaunz said:

I play only an hour or two at night when my kids aren't using the PS5. However, I've found that it really has to be an engrossing, A-plus game anymore for me to want to play. For me, it's basically that I'm going to spend 1-2 hours at night winding down before I go to bed, and I can either spend that watching TV, playing a game, fantasy football, whatever. There's so much entertainment out there that I can be selective about what I want to watch or play. If it's a game, it needs to be good. The latest game I was playing, Cyberpunk, got to a point where I really didn't care if I was playing it, so I stopped, and I haven't missed it. 

But, basically, I play video games when I already know I'm not planning to be productive (end of the day, lazy non-football Sunday).

yep, you're right, good point. it needs to be viewed that way.

it's interesting that playing video games frequently has a negative stigma attached to it by society, while someone spending an equal amount of time working on an old car, painting, playing music, etc would not be seen the same way.

Maik Jeaunz said:
how does everyone rationalize spending time playing games when you could be doing something more productive?
I don't play until after important chores are done, But as an "older" player, there is a LOT of value to gaming when it comes to mental health, battling dementia and alzheimer's, etc. So honestly, there isn't a whole lot out there that would be more productive than an occasional hour of gamming to sharpen the mind.

yep, you're right, good point. it needs to be viewed that way.

it's interesting that playing video games frequently has a negative stigma attached to it by society, while someone spending an equal amount of time working on an old car, painting, playing music, etc would not be seen the same way.
I don't think there is negative stigma. If you are spending 5 hours a day then it's probably a problem

I typically play late at night and on late weekend nights. I get all my “honey to do” chores done without issues. It is simply a hobby. I am a sports game addict (particularly MLB The Show 20 and soon Madden 22) so I play full seasons, every pitch, every inning, every down, every game. I have no time limit. When my season is done...it’s done and we move onto the next season. I am in year 5 of a Yankees franchise I started back on MLB 17 and carried forward to MLB 20 (they removed Year to Year saves on MLB 21 and that game IMO was 5 steps back) so I am sticking with MLB 20 for the next several years maybe longer because I have dozens of classic rosters to play on it as well (I love 1980’s and 1990’s baseball with a passion). It typically takes me 6 months to complete a full 162 game season....we are in late August with that Yankees franchise and we will probably be done by the end of August this year. Then we move onto Madden 22 for a solid 6-7 months mixing that in with a classic season on MLB The Show.

Between my two sports games I will commit to one non sports game at a time and play it about 2-3 hours a week until it is done. That is why I have a massive backlog right now LOL. I played Ghost of Tsushima for 2 solid months and finished it. Now I am into Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen (Awesome game BTW...what a gem of an old school RPG). 

I probably sink 12-15 hours into video games each week. playing an hour or two each evening before bed. I will take time off from games too......have too from time to time.

I have had this hobby since the Atari 2600 and always managed to play outside, play ball and be very active and become a productive adult. What I never became was some of these kids you see today playing 5-8 hours a day......becoming addicted and never socializing other than over the internet on their respective game. I also see adults who have made a job out of streaming content (and making oodles of money doing it so good for them). For me it is and has always been a fun hobby.

We never had online gaming growing up (thank god actually). Our online gaming was at a local arcade hanging out at the Donkey Kong or Pac-Man cabinet dropping stacks of quarters into all the games LOL!!! I tried online Madden 2004 on the old PS2 and once I kept running into snarky little punks abusing Michael Vick with the same play 100 times.....that was my foray into online gaming. The last time I truly enjoyed an online sports game was right here on FBG when we had a NCAA 11 online dynasty league.....now that was an awesome time!!! And also Battlefield 2 Bad Company @IvanKaramazov remember those crazy late night sessions of blowing #### up!!!! That was an awesome time. Other than that.....online is not for me. I am strictly a solo offline gamer. 

Currently playing on the PS5:

MLB The Show 20

Madden 21 

NHL 21

Dragons Dogma Dark Arisen

Looking forward to:

Madden 22

Non Sports games in the que:

Mass Effect Legendary Edition

Spiderman (PS4 version)

Outer Worlds

A Plague Tale: Innocence is a pretty fun little game. Short maybe 15 hours or so but it's on GamePass so I installed it. Interesting story and it's really a stealth puzzler with tiny bit of action.

Maik Jeaunz said:

Nope never moving on and never felt guilty for doing something I like 

I started playing "The Last of Us" I was little disappointed at first, but now I'm starting to understand all the love.  Current location. The sewer system leaving "The Burgh"   

This is my second time starting the game, I gave up early on my first attempt because the controls seemed odd. A month later and I lost most of my muscle memory from playing "Days Gone" so I'm doing much better,

I’ll take a PM please and thanks if still available 
You got it.  I'm stepping away for a bit but the game is downloading. Looks like about 19gbs on steam.  

Will give it a whirl tonight for sure.  Also there appears to be a second round on the 12th.  Not sure if these codes are good for then.  

Any interested parties for Back 4 Blood?
I was out doing stuff this weekend and didn't get much play time in.  I think the open beta is coming later this week.

Was not overly impressed with the game.  I was playing solo first and finished it, then started another campaign with 3Xboxers, and none of them could move.  I could hear them in game and they could type messages, but they were completely frozen.

The graphics looked slick but the movement felt a little off.  Almost floaty.  The hordes were super small and you could see them a mile away. The weapons didn't feel powerful.  There was never a moment of fear of getting overrun.  The giant was no comparison to the Tank in L4D.  Overall, I'd much rather jump in a session of L4D2 with you guys sometime.  They could fix it but there's quite a lot to do IMO.

@Nick Vermeil @belljr

I was out doing stuff this weekend and didn't get much play time in.  I think the open beta is coming later this week.

Was not overly impressed with the game.  I was playing solo first and finished it, then started another campaign with 3Xboxers, and none of them could move.  I could hear them in game and they could type messages, but they were completely frozen.

The graphics looked slick but the movement felt a little off.  Almost floaty.  The hordes were super small and you could see them a mile away. The weapons didn't feel powerful.  There was never a moment of fear of getting overrun.  The giant was no comparison to the Tank in L4D.  Overall, I'd much rather jump in a session of L4D2 with you guys sometime.  They could fix it but there's quite a lot to do IMO.

@Nick Vermeil @belljr
Agreed on all.  I also was thrown off by the card system. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do there.  I think if I can't get a consistent group it may not work for me.  I'll give it another go with the next beta.  

Agreed on all.  I also was thrown off by the card system. I have no idea what I'm supposed to do there.  I think if I can't get a consistent group it may not work for me.  I'll give it another go with the next beta.  
Yeah the card part was particularly frustrating.  The game that I grouped with the Xboxers, you have to wait for them to select their card before it starts, and it was something like a 3:30 countdown.  Took forever and then they couldn't even play.

A friend just highly recommended this to me as well.  It comes out on Game Pass in a couple days, and I'm looking forward to checking it out.
It's one of those rare games that I feel comfortable recommending to anybody.  Darkest Dungeon is niche.  Bloodborne is kinda niche.  XCOM is niche.  Pretty much anybody who likes video games will probably at least like Hades.

The first time you make a successful run, it's the same adrenaline rush as beating a tough Dark Souls boss, but anybody can beat Hades if they stick with it.  Great blend of legit challenge and broad accessibility.

So… as previously mentioned I was able to get a ps5 thanks due in large part to GameStop’s online pro membership + following wario64 on twitter

The new Spider-Man is pretty great.

I’m debating whether or not to get the director’s cut of ghosts of tsunami.

So… as previously mentioned I was able to get a ps5 thanks due in large part to GameStop’s online pro membership + following wario64 on twitter

The new Spider-Man is pretty great.

I’m debating whether or not to get the director’s cut of ghosts of tsunami.
I don't know about the director's cut but Ghost is one the best games Ive ever played imo

Sorry if this has been covered, but what is the best way to score an XBox Series X right now?  My son worked a ton of hours this summer and I'd like to help him score one before he heads back to college for fall semester if possible.

Played a little bit of Back 4 Blood on Xbox series S, fun game…definitely need 4 competent people to play it on hardest difficulty though.

anyone played the new Yakuza?

Anyone else have this problem? I actually have a whole range of AAA PS4 titles that I didn't finish. Games like Tomb Raider, Deus Ex, Horizon Zero Dawn, God of War, Uncharted remastered  are just a few examples of the many games I have lying around that I can't seem to bring to finish.

Anyone else have the same problem and how do you cope with it? Does it give you stress or have you accepted it and are you at ease with it?
I have over 100+ titles that I've either never started or barely got into.  I've gotten to the point where I accept that I'll probably never play much of them.  I just don't have the time I used to.  On the upside, I barely buy 2-3 new games a year lately.  Which saves a lot of money, but I'm way out of the loop on newer titles.   

It is. And if they're still allowing the $1 upgrade hack, it's even better.

note for those who don't know it:

1) This only works if it's your first time w/ Gamepass. If you have gold (and we all probably do), and then buy gamepass, it will upgrade whatever you have left on your gold sub.

2) So knowing that, before getting Gamepass, prepay for as much "Gold" as you can. I believe the hack works for up to 36 months. I had something like 8 months of Gold left when I did this, so I bought 2 12-month Gold subs from Amazon and activated them. My Gold was extended to Oct 2023.

3) NOW get the "Three months of gamepass for $1" deal -  it will upgrade your entire remaining Gold sub for the $1. I got Gamepass until Oct 2023 for the Gold price plus $1. Saved a few hundred bucks. 

It is important that you do it in this order. If you get gamepass first, then any gold you buy afterwards gets prorated to the normal price.

This worked as of a few months ago, and I think it still does, but check to be sure.
Unfortunately, my initial 36 months expired recently.  So I'm paying full price.  I wish I could say it's for myself, but my kids get good use out of it these days.

Users who are viewing this thread