What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (21 Viewers)

Whoever said Nip Tuck was about to get really bad once they moved to California was not kidding. Season 5 is so ridiculous that it's almost unwatchable. Christian killing Gina, the guys fighting, the mysterious absence of Conner, even more things that are ridiculous.ETA - AS I wrote thta post, Sean's agent decided to kill the CAA agent or something....good grief. This is insane...ETA2 - my goodness, she's trying to suffocate him with teddy bear stuffing....this is awful.
This reminds me of a Zach Galifianakis bit:So, I watched Miss Congeniality 2 the other day......................it wasn't as good as I thought it was going to be.

I had a feeling I'd be taking some #### for not even finishing Blade Runner . . . and I tried twice.
Don't feel too bad. I agree that it's not all that compelling and is another film that, while I do enjoy it, is overrated in the annals of movie history.Other movies in that category - Apocalypse Now and Close Encounters. They're better movies to look at than watch.
not thinking it's that great is one thing. not being able to finish it? :loco:
:shrug:The first time I thought I was just tired maybe. The next day I tried again, but I just didn't care what happened to anybody in the story.
could be just a different tolerance for when you and I will actually turn something off. a movie has to be epically bad before i do that. i can probably count the number of times on one hand.

I had a feeling I'd be taking some #### for not even finishing Blade Runner . . . and I tried twice.
Don't feel too bad. I agree that it's not all that compelling and is another film that, while I do enjoy it, is overrated in the annals of movie history.Other movies in that category - Apocalypse Now and Close Encounters. They're better movies to look at than watch.
For me Apocalypse Now and Close Encounters were only meh when I first saw them and have gotten better with successive viewings.

not thinking it's that great is one thing. not being able to finish it? :P
:nerd: The first time I thought I was just tired maybe. The next day I tried again, but I just didn't care what happened to anybody in the story.
could be just a different tolerance for when you and I will actually turn something off. a movie has to be epically bad before i do that. i can probably count the number of times on one hand.
I'll turn off a netflix instant movie pretty quickly if it doesn't hold my interest but I've never walked out of a theater and only rarely sent a movie back without watching all of it. I sent back Knight and Day but it had been awhile before that.I watched One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest last night, turned off halfway through just because I was going to bed, will finish it tonight.

I think that Whites of West Virginia documentary that Johnny Knoxville produced is available on Netflix. Anybody seen that?

Last edited by a moderator:
whoever recommended Batman: Under the red hood... :lmao: :lmao: very dark.. almost as dark as the newer batman movies.
:thumbup: No problem. I have actually watched it again since then and it really is something special. I know that cartoons have been pushing the PG-13 rating for a while, and it makes some sense as their core audience has grown up, but I am still amazed as to how well this was done and the story involved.

has anyone using the XBOX360 to stream from netflix been able to get Dolby Digital 5.1 sound? I've only been able to get stereo. TIA.
took me a while, but i found this:
Netflix Streaming Does 5.1 Surround Sound with Dolby Digital Plus on PS3! by Clint DeBoer — last modified October 14, 2010 Netflix Streaming Does 5.1 Surround Sound with Dolby Digital PlusWe've been waiting for this news and we're happy to finally report that Netflix is working with Dolby Digital to finally bring 5.1 digital audio to its movie and television streaming content - as early as the 18th of October! Just today, Netflix, Inc. (Nasdaq: NFLX) and Dolby Laboratories, Inc. (NYSE: DLB) announced that the companies will use Dolby Digital Plus to deliver 5.1-channel surround sound for TV shows and movies streamed instantly over the Internet. Beginning October 18, the PlayStation 3 (PS3) computer entertainment system from Sony will be the first consumer electronics device to support 5.1-channel surround sound on movies streamed from Netflix. I guess I may have to dust off my Netflix DVD for the PS3! Netflix said more devices would be added over time to support streaming digital surround sound. We'd have to assume that the Xbox 360 will be next, followed by any existing hardware that can support a firmware or software upgrade to affect the required changes (Roku, Blu-ray players, etc). Hopefully, the most recent models of BD players on the market with Netflix will be able to upgrade and transmit streaming content n 5.1. The other interesting notion is whether or not content will be able to support 7.1 in the future, assuming more titles are encoding with that support. For now, 5.1 seems to be the released format - and a smart move considering 1) most users only support 5.1 at best, and 2) 7.1 can be achieved very well from software DSP like Dolby Prologic IIx.
anyone getting DD 5.1 with the PS3 yet?

2001: A Space Odyssey looks good in streaming.

But how did this movie EVER get to be popular? It's been 25 years since I've watched it, and now I remember why.

Talk about a pretentious bore-fest. :kicksrock:
I'm pretty sure people were taking acid when they went to see it in 68.
The story is cool but yeah it's tough to watch. This website explains it well (I think) and it made me appreciate it more: http://www.kubrick2001.com/

just found The First Power. always liked that movie. good slasher flick :lmao:

ETA: LOVE the redhead

Leeroy Jenkins said:
Chaka said:
Leeroy Jenkins said:
Andy Dufresne said:
2001: A Space Odyssey looks good in streaming.

But how did this movie EVER get to be popular? It's been 25 years since I've watched it, and now I remember why.

Talk about a pretentious bore-fest. :lmao:
Have it in my queue. I never saw the whole thing. So I shouldn't waste my time?
I never saw the appeal but I guess it's considered an important movie for some reason. Probably just for the opening sequence, and I guess the monolith is supposed to make one think...about what I have no idea.
Is it going to put me to sleep? I like science fiction, but I tried to watch Blade Runner and couldn't get through it.
Surprising. Watch BR for the first time and loved it.

if anyone likes Westerns, I watched LONESOME DOVE ..and that was pretty damn good. I had heard it was a chic flic, but its not.. its 4 episodes that are 1 and 1/2 hour each. starring, Robert Duvall (best i've ever seen him, fantastic role), Tommy Lee Jones, Danny Glover, Diane Lane, and a few others.. its streaming on netflix and its well worth a watch..

I missed it the first time it was streaming, but I am about halfway through "Spartacus: Blood and Sand".

Lots of violence, lots of sex, more violence, more sex, rinse and repeat. Even Quentin Tarantino watches and says "Do you really need that much blood?"

Fanboys of Zena Warrior Princess who wanted to see Lucy Lawless get busy need to see this ASAP.

Halfway through the first season and I will finish it. Worth at least a glance to see if it's your thing. You will know within the first 10 mins of the first episode.

Spartacus is great.. the very first episode is super duper duper slow.. so don't be put off.. tuff it out and the rest of the season is great!

Anyone heard of Valhalla Rising?

Just came out in 2009, movie about Vikings, 71% on RT, trailer looks good. I might try this out soon as it's available on Watch Instantly.

I watched it the other day. It started out looking awesome. The silence of the main character worked. The movie moved along nicely until the boat scene. Which reminded me of Rime of the Ancient Mariner in both tone and length (talking about the Iron Maiden song here). Then it got kind of darker and more sinister and never really achieved what the beginning held such promise for. I wish they'd take the first 35 minutes and then totally redo the rest.

whoever recommended Batman: Under the red hood...

:football: :shrug: very dark.. almost as dark as the newer batman movies.
:thumbup: No problem. I have actually watched it again since then and it really is something special. I know that cartoons have been pushing the PG-13 rating for a while, and it makes some sense as their core audience has grown up, but I am still amazed as to how well this was done and the story involved.
Really enjoyed this one, and so did a friend.
Thanks for the nice recc.

:( :thumbup: very dark.. almost as dark as the newer batman movies.
*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();

Watched this last night because of the rec in here. I was very impressed.

:shrug: :no: very dark.. almost as dark as the newer batman movies.
:lmao: No problem. I have actually watched it again since then and it really is something special. I know that cartoons have been pushing the PG-13 rating for a while, and it makes some sense as their core audience has grown up, but I am still amazed as to how well this was done and the story involved.
*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***
");document.close();

Watched this last night because of the rec in here. I was very impressed.I am crushed. :( I believe I was the first one to mention this, yet nobody paid any attention. Now everyone loves it, but does anyone say, "Hey thanks sports_fan, this is a neat movie and I think you're a super terrific dude for mentioning it"? No, no one does. In all my years of interneting, I've never had this happen. I feel like I've been intentionality excluded. What should I do? Should I start a thread? Maybe create a poll? Is this acceptable? Unacceptable? Other?

Sports_fan, if it's any consolation, the friend I have that watched it today was like "dude, I watched this today and it was awesome," and I was like "yeah, you don't remember me telling you about it yesterday?" Not being credited for amazing discoveries happens to the best of us.

Forgot to mention the movie 'Havoc'. You can thank me later.

ETA: Havoc with Anne Hathaway.

Anyone heard of Valhalla Rising?

Just came out in 2009, movie about Vikings, 71% on RT, trailer looks good. I might try this out soon as it's available on Watch Instantly.

I thought it was decent, but like you mention the beginning leads you to believe the entire flick is awesome.

could have done without the anal mud rape MELLOW

*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();

Unthinkable...not great but definitely shouldn't have been D2V.God I can't get enough of Samuel L. Jackson.
Oh man I thought it was awful. I love SLJ as well.
A great story overshadowed by some very bad acting. Outside of SLJ, his handler (the other famous dude, he was on West Wing), and the terrorist the acting was borderline bush league. It was like having Lebron James, D-Wade, and Chris Bosh show up for a pick up game at the Y. Weird. I'd still argue probably shouldn't have been D2V.

The Pillars of the Earth. just watched it in 2 days and liked it a lot
I started the first episode and it was boring me. Same with the Tudors. I need to give both another loook I'm sure.Nip Tuck is getting fantastically bad. I'm almost done with Season 6 (it only goes 7) and it is absolutley ridiculous. Men getting breast cancer and women getting shot in the head and living and doctors getting stabbed and living and women dying on the lipo table and lesbians falling in love with men and women cutting their own frontsides off with turkey knifes in the lobby. It is insane. But since I've been watching the show one after another for a couple months and don't have to spend a week waiting for the next episode, I find the recent insanity refreshing. The entire show is becoming a parody of itself and, in a strange way, IT WORKS because the whole premise is about the vanity of people. So it's a parody about people who are already parodies of themselves. The plot is nowhere near as creative as season 1 and 3 (which were great), but it has its own comic book charm.

I've watched a bunch of stuff on instant lately. Here are some of the good ones:

Cocaine Cowboys - I just watched this last night. I thought it was really cool. I live in Lakeland and the one pilot was saying he used to fly his goods from GA into Lakeland. He had a landing strip and a few 'barns' where he kept his planes. Very interesting. I saw there is a Cocaine Cowboys 2. I'll be watching that soon.

Cocaine Cowboys 2 - if you liked the first watch the second. I thought it would pretty much be more of the same... and kind of boooring. But it was NOT. There is some new material, in a new town, and a pretty crazy story.

Beautiful Losers - this was OK. It was a kind of interesting story, but not that interesting to watch as a documentary. It was slow... and I usually don't like 'artsy' stuff... but this was OK. I liked most of the artists covered in the story except a few. It was about a small group of pop artists in the 90s that lived in NYC... I think the lower east side?

The Bounty Hunter - pretty much what I or anyone would expect from it. A mildly entertaining romantic comedy. Quality effort if your looking for that type of movie

The Proposal - I am a big Van Wilder fan so I like the movies Van Wilder is in more then most people do. I thought it was a cool movie. Pretty much followed the classic romantic comedy story line. I guess I like it when movies do that.

Dirty Deeds - this is a sophmoric teenage movie starring the 'bad infulence' boyfriend of Rory on Gilmore Girls (Luke's nephu). Again, pretty much what I expected. I guess this one gets an OK or passable grade which is about the best you can get for one of these movies. It was somewhat entertaining and I stuck through the whole thing. Two things I can't say about 18 Year Old Virgin or Who's Your Daddy two movies I attempted to watch but were so sophmoric I couldn't even make it through.

Rising Son: Christian Hosoi - anyone into the 80s skateboarding should love this. A lot of stuff I never knew about Hosoi in this doc. Good skating footage, and a good story.

sports_fan said:
Chaka said:
Ren Hoek said:

:kicksrock: :lmao: very dark.. almost as dark as the newer batman movies.
:lmao: No problem. I have actually watched it again since then and it really is something special. I know that cartoons have been pushing the PG-13 rating for a while, and it makes some sense as their core audience has grown up, but I am still amazed as to how well this was done and the story involved.
*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***
");document.close();

Watched this last night because of the rec in here. I was very impressed.I am crushed. :( I believe I was the first one to mention this, yet nobody paid any attention. Now everyone loves it, but does anyone say, "Hey thanks sports_fan, this is a neat movie and I think you're a super terrific dude for mentioning it"? No, no one does. In all my years of interneting, I've never had this happen. I feel like I've been intentionality excluded. What should I do? Should I start a thread? Maybe create a poll? Is this acceptable? Unacceptable? Other?

My apologies sports_fan. I watch this thread pretty close and don't remember you recommending otherwise I would have quoted your post first. Next beer is on me.

Jutz said:
I've watched a bunch of stuff on instant lately. Here are some of the good ones:

Rising Son: Christian Hosoi - anyone into the 80s skateboarding should love this. A lot of stuff I never knew about Hosoi in this doc. Good skating footage, and a good story.
This was really enjoyable to me. Really ties in the skateboard scene from where Dogtown and Z-Boys leaves off until the start of the X-Games. Hosoi himself is a great story and the battles between him and Tony Hawk were amazing, a true contrast of styles. The Technician in Hawk versus the Artist in Hosoi.

Again though, it stinks not being able to stream new movies. Some of the box office misses should be available more. I love the Goodfellas SE that is streaming but that movie is over 20 years old.

Again though, it stinks not being able to stream new movies. Some of the box office misses should be available more. I love the Goodfellas SE that is streaming but that movie is over 20 years old.
Find some older movies/shows that you haven't seen before and stop complaining.

You're not gonna get new DVD releases for a $7 a month all-inclusive subscription. But they're all available on demand from services like Amazon on Demand for like $5 apiece in HD. Just dump your pay cable movie channels and pay only for what you watch. Wave of the future, dude.

Users who are viewing this thread