What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (10 Viewers)

Everything sucks is growing on me.  I feel like Homer the way I look at the "popular" blonde (looked it up and she's 21 in real life, so I am actually safe).  The acting isn't the greatest but I do think the situations are well written and a couple of the actors are pretty good.
I pretty much gave up on this show as soon as they tried to present the theater kids as the bullies. 

I pretty much gave up on this show as soon as they tried to present the theater kids as the bullies. 
I get that may not be the most realistic scenario, but remember two things; 1-they are not representing every clique in the high school, and 2-almost everyone in the school is higher on the social ladder than the AV club kids.  Not being part of the popular crowd, I could definitely identify with some freshman kids being intimidated by older kids, regardless of their actual social status.

SO I've watched Daredevil S1 (meh) Jessica Jones S1 (very like) and The Punisher (also such enjoy) and have a couple of questions.  Should I watch The Defenders? Any good?  And if so, do I have to watch Luke Cage first?  Really had no interest in him in the Jessica Jones storyline.

SO I've watched Daredevil S1 (meh) Jessica Jones S1 (very like) and The Punisher (also such enjoy) and have a couple of questions.  Should I watch The Defenders? Any good?  And if so, do I have to watch Luke Cage first?  Really had no interest in him in the Jessica Jones storyline.
They were both kind of meh. DD2 was great but like you I thought JJ was the best one.

Loved JJ and the Punisher.. disliked Luke cage.. REALLY enjoying season 2 of JJ so far. :thumbup:

Fans of HBO's excellent miniseries The Night Of will probably enjoy Netflix's new miniseries Collateral. Highly recommended.
When I heard one of focal points of the show was some lady trying to keep her lesbian muslim lover hidden to prevent deportation...I swiped left.  That's a Three's Company level plot device just wrapped up with the social buttons of the day

Even with that eye rolling spoiler - I pretty much enjoy watching Carey Mulligan do anything so I may end up watching it.

Two episodes into "Ugly Delicious" and it's surprisingly good. Chang is notoriously thorny as a personality but, kind of like Bourdain, shows his warmth nicely when called on. I like that he's not out to prove anything. First episode - about pizza - is perfect while the second - about tacos - is less so. I'm game to see more.

Two episodes into "Ugly Delicious" and it's surprisingly good. Chang is notoriously thorny as a personality but, kind of like Bourdain, shows his warmth nicely when called on. I like that he's not out to prove anything. First episode - about pizza - is perfect while the second - about tacos - is less so. I'm game to see more.
Just an FYI, but it gets surprisingly political as it goes along as he they deal with the history of the foods themselves.  It starts with the "shrimp and crawfish" and "BBQ" ones and then deals with it head-on in the "fried chicken" and "fried rice" episodes.  It's quite well done since he has guys like David Simon who can bring the big themes together, but the first two episodes are starkly different than than the end. 

As an aside, it's pretty obvious that this started as "Let's eat food with my famous friends" project and at some point they realized they were really going in and addressing some of these issues head on.  

Just an FYI, but it gets surprisingly political as it goes along as he they deal with the history of the foods themselves.  It starts with the "shrimp and crawfish" and "BBQ" ones and then deals with it head-on in the "fried chicken" and "fried rice" episodes.  It's quite well done since he has guys like David Simon who can bring the big themes together, but the first two episodes are starkly different than than the end. 

As an aside, it's pretty obvious that this started as "Let's eat food with my famous friends" project and at some point they realized they were really going in and addressing some of these issues head on.  

I can kind of see this in the taco episode. The food writers in LA were having a very different experience than that of the Noma/Mexico portion despite Meehan being a part of both sections.

I watched Annihilation this weekend. Not my cup of tea, at all. I'm sure some of you film critics will love it but when I was done I was wondering wtf happened and why I had wasted 2 hrs of my life watching it.

Watching New Girl with my wife. We're about 5 episodes in, does it get better? Other than the hotness of the two main female characters I'm not impressed. 

Watching New Girl with my wife. We're about 5 episodes in, does it get better? Other than the hotness of the two main female characters I'm not impressed. 
I really like this show. We never watched on TV but binged on Netflix and try to catch recent eps on Amazon(?). If you're not hooked after 5 episodes, it might not be for you.

I really like this show. We never watched on TV but binged on Netflix and try to catch recent eps on Amazon(?). If you're not hooked after 5 episodes, it might not be for you.
I am not a religious watcher but my wife binged it on Netflix. I've seen bits and pieces of many episodes.  The main girl is super annoying but all of the dudes make me laugh every time I watch them.

Anyone seen the documentary “Wild, Wild Country”? It came up on my feed today and looks interesting.
I've watched the first three episodes and I've never seen a more backwards ### group of ignorant racists than the people of rural Oregon and I lived in Louisiana for 10 years

Just watched We Need To Talk About Kevin.... Odd combination of brutally frustrating yet compelling to watch. The frustration for me was from the NOT talking about Kevin, or anything else- Swintons character just avoids everything... which is maybe the point if how the core of the movie unfolds. The narrative structure was somewhat interesting- quick cuts and jumping in time and Swinton was fantastic in the role, even if the writing for her avoidance was frustrating. Brutal subject matter though- even if artfully covered

Just watched We Need To Talk About Kevin.... Odd combination of brutally frustrating yet compelling to watch. The frustration for me was from the NOT talking about Kevin, or anything else- Swintons character just avoids everything... which is maybe the point if how the core of the movie unfolds. The narrative structure was somewhat interesting- quick cuts and jumping in time and Swinton was fantastic in the role, even if the writing for her avoidance was frustrating. Brutal subject matter though- even if artfully covered
i've been a big fan of hers since Sally Potter's adaptation of "Orlando".

Dark checked off a lot of boxes. 

- interesting to watch

- somewhat original concept

- really bizarre story and character interaction

- the wife really enjoyed it

Without giving anything away, it’s the story of a German town. It’s dubbed to English be really fun to watch. But you really have to pay attention or you can get lost in what’s going on. 

Dark checked off a lot of boxes. 

- interesting to watch

- somewhat original concept

- really bizarre story and character interaction

- the wife really enjoyed it

Without giving anything away, it’s the story of a German town. It’s dubbed to English be really fun to watch. But you really have to pay attention or you can get lost in what’s going on. 
Ugh...you watches the dubbed English version?

There is a small thread on it if you wanted to read up on it here.

I loved it. 

Billy Zane aside. I actually read the book and didn't expect much from the film- but I enjoyed it. But potters later work is just...ugh.
I thought Zane was perfect as Shelmderine. I like Potter even if she's not perfect. She has a voice. Admittedly, I haven't been paying much attention to her in recent years but still. 

I tried watching The Push but for some reason they kept adding this high pitch ringing to the audio that set off my tinnitus like crazy so I had to stop about 20 minutes in. I went back and fast forwarded to the end to see what happened and I'm glad I didn't watch the whole thing. Just a horrible thing to do to people and I would have pushed the director off the roof when he revealed it was all a stunt.

jamny said:
I tried watching The Push but for some reason they kept adding this high pitch ringing to the audio that set off my tinnitus like crazy so I had to stop about 20 minutes in. I went back and fast forwarded to the end to see what happened and I'm glad I didn't watch the whole thing. Just a horrible thing to do to people and I would have pushed the director off the roof when he revealed it was all a stunt.
You have to think those 4 victims were compensated heavily.

comfortably numb said:
Ugh...you watches the dubbed English version?

There is a small thread on it if you wanted to read up on it here.

I loved it. 
we watched about 30 seconds of the dubbed version because for some reason Netflix defaulted to it.... horrible.  i'd rather read subtitles than listen to ####ty dubs.

jamny said:
I tried watching The Push but for some reason they kept adding this high pitch ringing to the audio that set off my tinnitus like crazy so I had to stop about 20 minutes in. 
I noticed this.  It was an attempt at an aural anchor of some sort on the audience.  I think it was to make you not like the guy as it semed to happen after everything.e they gave you some background info on the guy. Derren is definitely not above manipulating his audience.  He's a sneaky one.  

I noticed this.  It was an attempt at an aural anchor of some sort on the audience.  I think it was to make you not like the guy as it semed to happen after everything.e they gave you some background info on the guy. Derren is definitely not above manipulating his audience.  He's a sneaky one.  
Interesting, didn't notice it.  

You have to think those 4 victims were compensated heavily.
Did they show any of the other "contestants" during the show or just their endings.

The guy they featured can at least have some solace that he did the right thing at the end. The other ones pushed. Just so wrong.

Wow, I didn't even notice when they were doing it. It just felt like a siren going off in my head and I think the second time they did it was it for me. Good call though. Probably some kind of audio cues.

Did they show any of the other "contestants" during the show or just their endings.

The guy they featured can at least have some solace that he did the right thing at the end. The other ones pushed. Just so wrong.

They showed some highlights of the other contestants.  

I'm guessing it was mentioned, but....The entire Monty Python catalog coming to Netflix in April!

spam, spam, spam, spam, spam and spam!

My wife has said she'll try and watch with me. "Prognosis Negative" Shes kind of liked it through the years. Doesn't hate it. She said she liked it but some of it was too childish. Which I replied: "Some?" Greatest comedy group of all time.

Watched 10 Cloverfield Lane last night and it was pretty good.

Is The Cloverfield Paradox any good?
IMO, Worth a watch if you enjoyed the first two and like movies like Event Horizon.. But it is not very memorable and not something I will re-watch. :mellow:

Watched 10 Cloverfield Lane last night and it was pretty good.

Is The Cloverfield Paradox any good?
There's a group in here that thinks it was absolutely awful.

Iirc, a big overlap of those people thought the same about the will Smith thing, Bright (orcs and elves living in LA).

I like both just fine: 5-6/10... but agree with snogger. They're both fun but  definitely flawed.

• Smile
Reactions: SWC
I'm guessing it was mentioned, but....The entire Monty Python catalog coming to Netflix in April!

spam, spam, spam, spam, spam and spam!

My wife has said she'll try and watch with me. "Prognosis Negative" Shes kind of liked it through the years. Doesn't hate it. She said she liked it but some of it was too childish. Which I replied: "Some?" Greatest comedy group of all time.
This is wonderful news.  Looks like Netflix UK and Netflix Canada will get the entire catalog by April 15, Netflix US will have a slower rollout.

Netflix is also trying to commission new material from the Monty Python gang, either as individuals or in groups.  Netflix is having a lot of success commissioning standup comedy shows and developing comedians.  

You don't have to watch anything.

Defenders and Iron Fist are the worst of them, I liked Luke Cage a lot (particularly the first 2/3).

Users who are viewing this thread