What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (4 Viewers)

If you like the actor Danny Trejo, check out Champion. It's a documentary about his childhood and how he turned his life around after prison.

I watched it a couple months ago. Unfortunately, its not available anymore but I'd highly recommend it if its available again.

:shrug: It came off as cheesy as hell.
We've had this conversation. The production values (special effects, sets, locations, # of extras etc.) are cheesy. The original budget was almost non-existant and it was so horribly mismanaged by Fox that it wasn't able to generate enough of a following early on to warrant additional money for more episodes. Often when you have a cheap looking show it creates the notion that everything about it must be cheap, that simply wasn't the case with FF. The actors were very well cast and the writing? That was top notch.

Fox dropped the ball on this one, properly handled it could have become Battlestar Galactia, which if you watch the mini-series you will see it also had many of the same problems that plagued FF.
This is a selling point? BG sucked Cylon nuts.
I will further disregard any of Sconch's opinions on shows. :thumbup:
:goodposting: Who the hell could possibly think BG sucked? Really?
:goodposting: x 2
I've been reading what Sconch wrote since his first post on Firefly and I gotta say... I absolutely agree 100%. I watched less of it then Sconch did, based on a recommendation from this board, and came to the same conclusion. My evaluation of the show was almost exactly the same as his first post on the subject. Then to come back and say it coulda been BG? So to answer your question, I think BG sucked, really.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably not the cup of tea for most here but My So Called Life entire series is playable. I thought it was a fantastic show but apparently I'm in a very small minority.
I saw it and put it on my instant watch queue... but it seems like one of those shows I want to watch, but I never seem to get around to it. I remember watching it on MTV and liking it. I'd like to see the whole season and I definitely think it's worth a mention.

It's beyond ridiculous to say that Battlestar Galactica sucked.
Fine, but it's not beyond ridiculous to say that I thought BG sucked.
Better. :thumbup: What didn't you like?
It's Sci Fi, and any time I see Sci Fi I think it just looks so cheesy it almost starts to appear as a comedy. Then the characters start talking about different planets, and wars, and aliens, and they are all super serious. There aren't many comedy breaks in there. I just can't sit down and watch a Sci Fi show and take it at all remotely serious. It's almost like I'm waiting for Mel Brooks to jump in at any moment.How is it I say the same thing and it gets better the second time?

It's Sci Fi, and any time I see Sci Fi I think it just looks so cheesy it almost starts to appear as a comedy. Then the characters start talking about different planets, and wars, and aliens, and they are all super serious. There aren't many comedy breaks in there. I just can't sit down and watch a Sci Fi show and take it at all remotely serious. It's almost like I'm waiting for Mel Brooks to jump in at any moment.How is it I say the same thing and it gets better the second time?
Well, some people are more willing to suspend disbelief than others I guess. Essentially you're saying you like comedy more than SciFi. At which point I start to understand your argument because I think that most comedies suck - where my argument is normall "nobody's so stupid as to get themselves into that type of situation".

Well, some people are more willing to suspend disbelief than others I guess. Essentially you're saying you like comedy more than SciFi. At which point I start to understand your argument because I think that most comedies suck - where my argument is normall "nobody's so stupid as to get themselves into that type of situation".
You clearly don't know enough stupid people. :lol:For the record, I know zero aliens.

It's Sci Fi, and any time I see Sci Fi I think it just looks so cheesy it almost starts to appear as a comedy. Then the characters start talking about different planets, and wars, and aliens, and they are all super serious. There aren't many comedy breaks in there. I just can't sit down and watch a Sci Fi show and take it at all remotely serious. It's almost like I'm waiting for Mel Brooks to jump in at any moment.

How is it I say the same thing and it gets better the second time?
You clearly don't know enough stupid people. :lol: For the record, I know zero aliens.
I was kind of thinking the same thing :lol: . Watch the news and you can hear some pretty stupid stuff. But I know what AD is talking about. Sometimes it goes too far.

:shrug: It came off as cheesy as hell.
We've had this conversation. The production values (special effects, sets, locations, # of extras etc.) are cheesy. The original budget was almost non-existant and it was so horribly mismanaged by Fox that it wasn't able to generate enough of a following early on to warrant additional money for more episodes. Often when you have a cheap looking show it creates the notion that everything about it must be cheap, that simply wasn't the case with FF. The actors were very well cast and the writing? That was top notch.Fox dropped the ball on this one, properly handled it could have become Battlestar Galactia, which if you watch the mini-series you will see it also had many of the same problems that plagued FF.
Started watching a couple months ago on Science Channel. Finished the series on Netflix. I thouroughly enjoyed it and I'm saddened that it never caught on. Looked a solid starting point for a good 6 to 7 year run. The movie, Serenity, wraps it up nicely for me though. I could have more but dont need it after seeing that.

Hold up. Shtick check.

You guys really think Battlestar Galactic was good? I mean like 'Sopranos-good' and not 'trainwreck good'.

My two GREAT reccomendations seem to be getting lost in all this :nerd: fighting.

The Motorcycle Diaries

Sin Nombre

WATCH THEM. Thank me later.

Hold up. Shtick check.You guys really think Battlestar Galactic was good? I mean like 'Sopranos-good' and not 'trainwreck good'.
Might be my favorite television show of all time and if you're going to persist in this line of questioning I'm guaranteeing you're going to find yourself in the extreme minority.I've never watched Sopranos.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Sconch said:
'Chaka said:
'Sconch said:
Shtick check.
Not your cup of tea, we get it, but baiting is just silly.Do you like any television sci-fi? Any theatrical sci-fi?
Of course I like sci-fi. But BG isn't good.
Examples? And to be clear I never watched BG but only because of time. Never had the chance to start from scratch. I'll probably try it with netflix.

'Sconch said:
'Chaka said:
'Sconch said:
Shtick check.
Not your cup of tea, we get it, but baiting is just silly.Do you like any television sci-fi? Any theatrical sci-fi?
Examples? And to be clear I never watched BG but only because of time. Never had the chance to start from scratch. I'll probably try it with netflix.
Examples of what? Good sci-fi? Just off the top of my head: (some of these are skating the definition of sci-fi)Blade RunnerAlien(s)12 MonkeysMoonClose EncountersGattaca

'Sconch said:
'Chaka said:
'Sconch said:
Shtick check.
Examples of what? Good sci-fi? Just off the top of my head: (some of these are skating the definition of sci-fi)Blade RunnerAlien(s)12 MonkeysMoonClose EncountersGattaca
No television?

'Sconch said:
'Chaka said:
'Sconch said:
Shtick check.
No television?
Ummm...a bunch of the old Twilight Zones and well, I can't really think of anything else.

'Sconch said:
'Chaka said:
'Sconch said:
Shtick check.
No television?
Ummm...a bunch of the old Twilight Zones and well, I can't really think of anything else.
The genre is not for you, no big deal.What do you consider to be good television?

'Sconch said:
'Chaka said:
'Sconch said:
Shtick check.
I'd say space sci-fi is not your thing then. Blade runner, Moon and alien is more about human emotions surrounding isolation, loneliness and fear. Space sci-fi is usually built on a vast universe of humans and aliens as they explored the galaxy. No big deal. Thats why there is variety.

'Chaka said:
'Kenny Powers said:
'5Rings said:
Battle for Los Angeles is unwatchable. :yucky:
I was looking on Netflix today and saw this. I thought it was that Battle: LA (or something along those lines) that came out a couple months ago, but I saw Kel Mitchell (Kenan & Kel, All That, nickelodeon fame) was the lead actor and it said it was some kind of spoof.Dont know if you watched it under false pretenses, but just FYI for others
:lmao: :goodposting:
:bag: :lol: Thanks

:confused: 100% not fishing. I watched the first 2 EPs of BG and then totally forgot about it.
Well at least you gave it a good chance before forming your opinion. :mellow:
How many bites of crap sandwich do you need to take to know it tastes like crap?
None. I can see the crap in the sandwich.Television shows aren't sandwiches.
IIRC BG started out as 3 or 4 hour miniseries. I think I watched 1.5 hours of the show. That's not giving it a chance?

i didnt read the whole thread but i would highly recommend "exit through the gift shop" a great documentary about street art, some of the commercialization of it, as well as the interesting dynamic is takes to be an"artist".

IIRC BG started out as 3 or 4 hour miniseries. I think I watched 1.5 hours of the show. That's not giving it a chance?
No. Not even close.
OK. Can you give me a ballpark here? 4 episodes? 10? The entire first season?
Well, maybe it is okay as it's clear that SciFi TV is not your bag. Kind of like how I don't need to watch a single episode of Desperate Housewives to know I'm not interested.

No. Not even close.
Well, maybe it is okay as it's clear that SciFi TV is not your bag. Kind of like how I don't need to watch a single episode of Desperate Housewives to know I'm not interested.
I'm curious now.What would you guys consider good Sci-Fi TV?

No. Not even close.
Anything can capture my imagination and keep me wanting for the next episode. FireflyStar Trek: Next GenDeep Space NineVoyagerSlidersDr. WhoX-FilesFuturama (a little different but kind of sci-fi)Quantum LeapCowboy Bebop (Sci-fi anime)Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (sci-fi anime)

No. Not even close.
Anything can capture my imagination and keep me wanting for the next episode. FireflyStar Trek: Next GenDeep Space NineVoyagerSlidersDr. WhoX-FilesFuturama (a little different but kind of sci-fi)Quantum LeapCowboy Bebop (Sci-fi anime)Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex (sci-fi anime)
Yeah, you're right. Sci-Fi TV isn't my bag. Whole lot of so-so shows listed there.

No. Not even close.
Yeah, you're right. Sci-Fi TV isn't my bag. Whole lot of so-so shows listed there.
No biggie. Different strokes and all.

Users who are viewing this thread