What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (3 Viewers)

Thailand is one of the countries that was on the hippie trail where a lot were murdered.
Right, their drug hotel they operated in was in Bangkok. That's why I thought it funny you didnt specifically mention Thailand as a place of infamy.  

Right, their drug hotel they operated in was in Bangkok. That's why I thought it funny you didnt specifically mention Thailand as a place of infamy.  
Oooh. I just said South Asia since he also killed people in Nepal, India, and Malaysia (which is technically Southeast Asia as is Thailand). They are all on the hippie trail. 

The Good Son - The Life of Ray “Boom Boom” Mancini  (Prime)

I’ve never been a boxing fan, but I’ve always enjoyed following the big personalities in boxing. This documentary is GREAT! Really well done!!

Last edited by a moderator:
House of Cards

I realize that I am eight years behind the show, but when it debuted I did not have a Netflix subscription and when I did get one, I was so far behind it seemed impossible to catch up, and then all the weirdo/skeevy/pervy stuff about Spacey came about.

However, it seemed a show with a strong rep for substance, so I decided to try and plow through it. I am about fifty episodes in. 

I have a question for anyone who has seen the show through to the end. For the sake of spoilers (just in case there are others who have missed out), I will describe it as Underwood's horrific "actions" on the DC subway and in the parking garage.

No comeuppance, no retribution....no nothing? Barely a reference in the 2nd season and then never again, like nothing happened, as if it were a morbid case of Chuck Cunningham? 

My "hot take" is the show became such a big hit that Netflix greenlighted multiple seasons, which meant the writers were going to have to flesh out Underwood's character for long story arcs which would be difficult to do with those two acts hovering over everything so they decided simply to excise them from the show's history.

I regret to inform all of you that I have been binge watching Hell’s Kitchen and there may be no way out of this rabbit hole for me. There’s like 18 horrible seasons to watch. 

GET OUT 

THE STEAK IS DYING 
ditto 

have you got to season 8 yet? Has one of the best characters i've seen so far. 

every time he calls someone a donkey, an angel gets its wings and I laugh 

We punted on Handmaid after season 2. My wife was crying almost every episode. Just didn’t see any redeeming value in keeping on with it. 

Just finished season 2 of this show. Good lord it is bleak. Like nothing good ever happens. Ever.

I mean - its outstanding. The acting is terrific. And at least once per episode the director will have a camera shot that I just marvel at. But man its depressing.

And every damn time I think she's getting out, they suck her back in.

The closing credits for season 2 had June giving this half wicked smile while "Burning Down the House" played. So hopefully she kicks ### in season 3.

ditto 

have you got to season 8 yet? Has one of the best characters i've seen so far. 

every time he calls someone a donkey, an angel gets its wings and I laugh 
Omg we just randomly flipped season 8 on this weekend and my wife and I spent 2 hours laughing at Raj. Ramsey should have just kept him around for the laughs, he was incredible. 

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

I was rooting for the guys to win every night so he wouldn't' get eliminated. My Link
Couldn’t believe it when he was shoving that fish in his mouth like a seal. :lmao:  I was screaming. 

I actually turned around to do something for a second and my wife said holy #### this guy is eating the fish. :lmao:  

House of Cards

I realize that I am eight years behind the show, but when it debuted I did not have a Netflix subscription and when I did get one, I was so far behind it seemed impossible to catch up, and then all the weirdo/skeevy/pervy stuff about Spacey came about.

However, it seemed a show with a strong rep for substance, so I decided to try and plow through it. I am about fifty episodes in. 

I have a question for anyone who has seen the show through to the end. For the sake of spoilers (just in case there are others who have missed out), I will describe it as Underwood's horrific "actions" on the DC subway and in the parking garage.

No comeuppance, no retribution....no nothing? Barely a reference in the 2nd season and then never again, like nothing happened, as if it were a morbid case of Chuck Cunningham? 

My "hot take" is the show became such a big hit that Netflix greenlighted multiple seasons, which meant the writers were going to have to flesh out Underwood's character for long story arcs which would be difficult to do with those two acts hovering over everything so they decided simply to excise them from the show's history.
I just burned through the entire series over the past couple months.  Just keep watching.  It ends up being a thread throughout the series but you can tell that once the Spacey stuff came out they ended the show rather quickly.  The last season wasn't up to par with the rest of the show but that is typical for most series.

Definitely worth finishing though

3 episodes in and hooked, Peter Farrelly nailed this show. 

Sam Loudermilk is a rehab counselor who is an unfiltered jerk to his clients, his friends, and any random person he interacts with. A recovering alcoholic, Loudermilk is somewhat nicer to his best friend and (usually) sober sponsor, Ben Burns.
Season 3, Brian Regan brings some serious acting skills to the show. I know I’m mostly talking to myself here but damn this show is amazing 

House of Cards

I binged HoC last year during the start of COVID.  The first three or four seasons were seriously great, but it became a mess at the end, and it was evident between the second to last and last season that's when all the Spacey stuff came out, and the show just flat dropped him, then pulled a GoT S8 "let's hurry up and finish this ASAP" type of move that didn't work at all.  

As to your question about those particular two moments/actions.  The character of Hammerschmidt (the editor of the newspaper at the beginning, AKA Lt. Marrimow from The Wire) becomes the mechanism (and the main Underwood antagonist) that pulls on that string to try and deliver some justice.  Just keep watching, it'll come back...

I binged HoC last year during the start of COVID.  The first three or four seasons were seriously great, but it became a mess at the end, and it was evident between the second to last and last season that's when all the Spacey stuff came out, and the show just flat dropped him, then pulled a GoT S8 "let's hurry up and finish this ASAP" type of move that didn't work at all.  

As to your question about those particular two moments/actions.  The character of Hammerschmidt (the editor of the newspaper at the beginning, AKA Lt. Marrimow from The Wire) becomes the mechanism (and the main Underwood antagonist) that pulls on that string to try and deliver some justice.  Just keep watching, it'll come back...
honestly the only reason i keep watching this show is Robin Wright. 

it has some decent moments here and there, i guess, but every time we turn it on i feel like someone else has done this show better.. or could do this show better.

Finished up the 3 seasons of the drama (with elements of humor) Shtisel on Netflix. I liked it quite a bit. Probably not for everyone as the characters are all members of the Jewish Orthodox community in Jerusalem and that might not seem like compelling subject matter (and also means subtitles unless you speak Hebrew and Yiddish). It was both an interesting peak at what that community is like, but more importantly because it explores how even in so foreign seeming a culture, people face and deal with the same problems as everyone else.

I also appreciated the degree of realism in the details - they look like normal folks (though many of the actors are a bit more glamorous in real life), they walk around with coffee stains, food crumbs, dandruff on their clothes. Little things like that really put you in the story.

On the documentary side of things, Lucy, the Human Chimp on HBO Go is an amazing story of not only Lucy but her human handler as well.  It also makes you think about our own species.

Has anybody watched the 1st episode of The Nevers on HBO? Looks interesting, but it wasn't rated very well on a few places I looked.

Joss Whedon was involved in the show.
Wife and I renewed HBO Max over the weekend and binged the first few episodes of The Nevers. Absolutely hooked from the get go, great show so far with some trippy stuff in the first few episodes. Very Whedon, just enough sci-fi mixed with real world with a slight steampunk feel, great world building and characters. If you’re a fan of sci-fi genre shows it will be right in your wheelhouse.

Only minor complaint is the heavy British accents, my wife had trouble understanding some of the dialogue. So did I at times. There is one early character that is crazy and I would like to see a transcript of her dialogue as she speaks very cryptically and metaphorically but it’s hard to make out what she says. A bit like a murderous, insane version of River Tam from Firefly.

Season has been split into two batches of 6 episodes due to the pandemic shutdown. Curious to see how the backhalf compares once they announce an airdate as Whedon had to step down after the first 5 or 6.

@Capella

I've almost got a perfect British "OH NO!" and "IT'S RAAAWW!" down pat. 
:lmao:  

Getting divorced soon as I tell my wife “it’s family night in Hell’s Kitchen” every single night when I am cooking dinner on repeat. 

Also made steaks last week and told her they were dying at the pass waiting for her garnish (potatoes) :lmao:   Didn’t go over well. 

Things have really gone down hill in S5 of Vikings. I'm just watching now to get through it but doubt I'll try S6.  

I've never liked the Ivar character but it's just insanely dumb this season.   The entire Floki storyline is a waste of time as well. Really not much worth watching anymore.  Shame, but not uncommon for a series to hit the wall.  

Things have really gone down hill in S5 of Vikings. I'm just watching now to get through it but doubt I'll try S6.  

I've never liked the Ivar character but it's just insanely dumb this season.   The entire Floki storyline is a waste of time as well. Really not much worth watching anymore.  Shame, but not uncommon for a series to hit the wall.  
Yeah, it doesn't get any better in season 6.  I had to watch it to the end just because of the good will built up in the first few seasons, but they should have ended this one gracefully after 4. 

Yeah. Even Lagertha couldn't save it.

Haha nice. I lold when  he’s out on a reward with Gordon and starts drinking he says something to the effect of “I don’t drink much because I get crazy “ then he proceeded to chug his wine. 😂 #rajkarate 
1.01 draft pick, trust me when I say watch loudermilk on Amazon prime. It’s Ted lazzo worthy 

Loved the show but never watched S6. Ragnar was such a powerful presence that it was hard to continue on from him. Ivar was an interesting storyline but I think Bjorn was a stronger character. They kinda wasted him. They never seemed to know what to do with Floki. 

Still a good show.

I thought Unhinged on Prime was pretty good.

Crowe is, um, fat.

Like orca fat.

Mare of Easttown on HBO

Episode 3 is tonight and it's been pretty good so far.  Episode 1 was a little "meh" but mostly because like most first episodes, they need to introduce the characters and their background.  Not a whole lot of action.  But come episode 2...whoa nelly....action picks up like MOP's heart rate when he smells tunafish.

Check it out.  It's sort of like a True Detective with Kate Winslett, who seems to be doing a decent job with the Philly suburb accent.
Really liking this.

Decided to check out Unhinged last night since it was mentioned. It wasn't bad but I wish they'd try for a little more realism. Where were all the cops at these various scenes, where are the neighbors when this is all going on? I won't say too much but I thought it was more like a vigilante movie not just a nutcase.

Decided to check out Unhinged last night since it was mentioned. It wasn't bad but I wish they'd try for a little more realism. Where were all the cops at these various scenes, where are the neighbors when this is all going on? I won't say too much but I thought it was more like a vigilante movie not just a nutcase.
It was pretty bad imo.

Gotta be better scripts than this out there, Crowe.

Users who are viewing this thread