What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (7 Viewers)

GroveDiesel said:
Lol. My wife and I were like 2 or 3 episodes in. Not going to bother wasting my time now.

I swear Netflix is creating their own messed up feedback loops. They won’t give more seasons to anything that isn’t a big immediate hit, which is also why I refuse to really start watching their brand new series. I don’t want to get invested in a show only to have to cancelled after one season. So I wait to start watching a show. And if a bunch of people do the same thing, then Netflix just keeps canceling everything.

They really need to commit to at least 2 seasons of shows before cancelling. That or stop releasing every series by the season all at once. Give shows a chance to build up an audience.
What sucked the most was they had no plans to really resolve any story lines in S1, so 8 episodes and for no payoff. Awful. I figured since they called it a limited series that they would tie up the main threads.

thecatch said:
I was surprised that they spent so much on the show given that I’d never even heard of it until it just popped up on my list of recommended shows one day. Seems like they could have marketed it a bit better. 
Agreed.  I assume they spent a lot of cash on Millar-verse.  If you are unaware he is a comic book writer with successful movies like Kingsman and Wanted.  They were looking for a marvel replacement.  I would have expected a bigger commitment 

GroveDiesel said:
Lol. My wife and I were like 2 or 3 episodes in. Not going to bother wasting my time now.

I swear Netflix is creating their own messed up feedback loops. They won’t give more seasons to anything that isn’t a big immediate hit, which is also why I refuse to really start watching their brand new series. I don’t want to get invested in a show only to have to cancelled after one season. So I wait to start watching a show. And if a bunch of people do the same thing, then Netflix just keeps canceling everything.

They really need to commit to at least 2 seasons of shows before cancelling. That or stop releasing every series by the season all at once. Give shows a chance to build up an audience.
Generally, I'm kind of the opposite on this.  I hate watching a season 1 only to see the writers failing to wrap up a discreet story, clearly focused on getting a greenlight for season 2 and beyond.  This is a problem with lots of shows, including Jupiter's Legacy.  They should be able to tell a complete story in the 6-10 hours they have with these huge budgets, not just set up a cliffhanger for a season 2, with a near guarantee that story will just amble forward indefinitely so long as the ratings justify not killing it.  I would prefer more shows are explicitly limited to one season, regardless of how popular they are.

The recent iteration of The Stand... worth watching?
Meh. Not horrible, far from great. Don't think they'll ever be able to translate this well to the screen.
This got worse and worse as it's gone along. I think we have 1 EP left...the penultimate episode is flat out ridiculously terrible
Is like to reiterate just how bad that episode was. 

Not like this was tip top stuff anyways, but decent enough to watch. That one torpedoed the hell out for an already meh show.

Last comment - I think - on Jupiter’s legacy:  Netflix appears to just need to be smarter - seems like $200M on a show isn’t a recoverable cost without advertisements

Is like to reiterate just how bad that episode was. 

Not like this was tip top stuff anyways, but decent enough to watch. That one torpedoed the hell out for an already meh show.
Lol that's about right. Source material is great, they just can't seem to crack it. Maybe if HBO tackled The Stand it could work, I could see them nailing it maybe.

Lol that's about right. Source material is great, they just can't seem to crack it. Maybe if HBO tackled The Stand it could work, I could see them nailing it maybe.
I think the concept of the stand is solid, but can’t work well on screen without being completely divorced from King’s book. 

I think the concept of the stand is solid, but can’t work well on screen without being completely divorced from King’s book. 
Did the concept involve a ball of electricity from nowhere that zaps everybody and saves the day? Because that part...not so solid.

David Schwimmer was the only character I never really liked, and the reunion show did not change that.  Always seemed to try too hard.

He was the worst part of Band of Brothers too.  Horrible miscasting.  
I’m not a fan of him either, but have either of you seen him in the movie Kissing a Fool? He plays a total tool in it and is quite convincing. No argument on Band of Brothers. 

El Floppo said:
Did the concept involve a ball of electricity from nowhere that zaps everybody and saves the day? Because that part...not so solid.
In the book it was a literal hand of God. Shaped like a hand and everything. 

Wrapped up Loudermilk.

It's pretty great...thanks to the good Dr for pimping it repeatedly.

Will there be another season? 
Have only a couple episodes left. This show kept getting better as all the side characters improved a lot as they got going. 

Ben the roommate started stealing scenes, very funny with his delivery. 

Did a little reading and looked like they are trying to do a new season but nothing concrete. 

Watching Community for first time...just got to season 3.  Some pretty good quick hit comedy.  Took halfway through season 1 to hit their stride, by they got some really hilarious stuff in there through the first 2 seasons.

Like the casting outside of Chevy Chase.  McHale is OK, but all the other characters are really well done.  The Troy and Abed bromance cracks me up almost every time.

I’m not a fan of him either, but have either of you seen him in the movie Kissing a Fool? He plays a total tool in it and is quite convincing. No argument on Band of Brothers. 
I've seen some clips of a show called "Intelligence" (on Peacock network I guess) with Schwimmer in it. It looks horrible. He looks more annoying in it than he was on "Friends".

Watching Community for first time...just got to season 3.  Some pretty good quick hit comedy.  Took halfway through season 1 to hit their stride, by they got some really hilarious stuff in there through the first 2 seasons.

Like the casting outside of Chevy Chase.  McHale is OK, but all the other characters are really well done.  The Troy and Abed bromance cracks me up almost every time.
It was a good show. They wind up getting really experimental in later seasons which I really didn't care for. It goes off the rails eventually, imo. I'm not sure if I stuck with it until the end. I know they did a season exclusively for Yahoo at the end. 

Anyone watch The Fall? Good reviews. Older show might be worth a binge
First season was excellent. I don't think I finished the second. I remember reading here about the 3rd being a disaster and people were daring each other to try and finish it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone watch The Fall? Good reviews. Older show might be worth a binge
First season was excellent. I don't think I finished the second. I remember reading here about the 3rd being a disaster and people were daring each other to try and finish it.
yep.

definitely watch S1- it's good stuff. S2... meh. S3... I watched it and at least one other person here did as well in spite of my warnings- stab yourself in the eyes horrible. enjoy!

Started watching Invincible. 37 minutes in I was like WTF with these rave reviews. 10 min later I feel like I needed a smoke break and was fully vested.

Looks like a 50/50 split in here on this.  wife & I really like it.  Bosch is a very likable character.  very enjoyable for us anyway.
it's not as bad as i'd feared. still not great, but it's at least mindless entertainment.  you can see the cliches coming before they land, but the predictability makes it familiar and easy to watch.

mr fancypants said:
I thought it was close to resembling a Lifetime network production.
lol, we have 1 episode left and it has felt like a soap to me at times.

it's well acted. costuming and site locations have been great. it's nice to see people almost look like regular people instead of everyone being a runway model who is always perfectly coiffed and wearing their most expensive clothing no matter the scenario.

Jean Smart has been terrific.

Sweet Tooth  on netflix, almost gave up 20 minutes in.    Glad I didn't.    Interesting concept.

Family friendly? Id like to have a show we can all watch.
This show is really good especially if you are into the dystopian thing. Though maybe a virus will be a bit too close to home for some folks. 

I don't think it is little kid friendly though.  I would put this at same age grouping as stranger things (though it is very different show and tone).  No sex in it and not much bad language but definately violence and directed at kids at times so I won't let my kids watch it (11 and 9) as imagine they would have nightmares.  If they were a bit older (13 or 14) probably fine but others might have a different view on it.  Also, I know my kids and they would not like some of it.  Other kids could be into it and would be fine. Sorry if a bit all over the place on this age recomendation.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen some clips of a show called "Intelligence" (on Peacock network I guess) with Schwimmer in it. It looks horrible. He looks more annoying in it than he was on "Friends".
I watched it and liked it. 
I’m not a huge Shwimmer fan but I don’t have the dislike for him others have expressed. 
I think I can guarantee those that don’t like Shwimmer won’t like the show Intelligence. 

I've posted in here before but I love Bosch. Its nothing new or anything - just a really well done cop show. 
I really enjoyed Bosch too. Part of it was I finally listened through David Simon's Homicide book right before it.  Has enough turns (kills you don't see coming) to keep the suspense and a beautiful setting with his Hollywood perch. It is very much a cop show.

Wonder if the books are any good.

Mare is super good but like noted above a lot because of the peripheral stuff.  

a lot of the crime elements have been done - and some are borderline cliche - but never packed in a story this well done

Users who are viewing this thread