What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (10 Viewers)

I don't pay for Peacock Premium so I can't watch Dr. Death, but I'm familiar with the story.  Here's a great article about it.

https://www.propublica.org/article/dr-death-christopher-duntsch-a-surgeon-so-bad-it-was-criminal
HFS. I feel like an awful person for laughing at this section:

According to doctors who reviewed the case, Duntsch mistook part of his neck muscle for a tumor and abandoned the operation midway through — after cutting into Glidewell’s vocal cords, puncturing an artery, slicing a hole in his esophagus, stuffing a sponge into the wound and then sewing Glidewell up, sponge and all.

I felt like I was watching Spies Like Us. Reading it made me feel like I was reading a joke, couldn’t be real.

HFS. I feel like an awful person for laughing at this section:

According to doctors who reviewed the case, Duntsch mistook part of his neck muscle for a tumor and abandoned the operation midway through — after cutting into Glidewell’s vocal cords, puncturing an artery, slicing a hole in his esophagus, stuffing a sponge into the wound and then sewing Glidewell up, sponge and all.

I felt like I was watching Spies Like Us. Reading it made me feel like I was reading a joke, couldn’t be real.
we started watching the show... I think we're 3 eps into it before stopping. we may get back to it, but basically the show for us was about getting to the bottom line- was this guy THAT bad of a doctor, or intentionally doing all this stuff. I guess we were not so interested about the rest of it.

wife and I have been watching Lovecraft Country....kind of a hot mess bouncing between campy b-movie sci-fi and a more cutting study of racial/racist horror. It's interesting enough though..oops. I see it's been cancelled.
I really like Jonathan Majors, but I gave up on this one pretty quickly. it was like if Mississippi Burning, Fright Night, and Goonies had a threesome...but not in a good way.

El Floppo said:
we started watching the show... I think we're 3 eps into it before stopping. we may get back to it, but basically the show for us was about getting to the bottom line- was this guy THAT bad of a doctor, or intentionally doing all this stuff. I guess we were not so interested about the rest of it.

I'm not interested in a re-enactment drama of it, but I listened to the original podcast for this and found it fascinating.  If podcasts are a thing for you, I highly recommend that instead.  Six episodes and pretty quick IIRC.

Clickbait - I agree with others it got a little hokey and acting wasn't great, but I thought it was good enough and kept you guessing as a thriller.

gianmarco said:
Some updates/recs. Pay attention below to #4, Rake. Best show on this list for me after just 2 episodes.

1. Hit and Run -- Solid show that the wife and enjoyed a good bit. Went by quickly, decent twists and turns and overall done well. Great pick if looking for a new show and it's your cup of tea.

2. The Defeated -- Just finished this one. Another solid show. I think it was mentioned in here once. Some twisted stuff, loved the historical aspect of it. Also went by quickly and easy to get through. 

3. Reservation Dogs -- I'm mixed on this one. Binged it quickly myself as the wife wasn't interested after most of the first episode. I look back and I think I liked it but I also have a hard time saying why. It's different. There's some good stuff in there and it's got good depth. I'm glad I watched it but I wouldn't go out and recommend it for everyone. 

4. Rake -- I don't think anyone has mentioned this show yet. It's Australian and I'm done with 2 episodes. Holy cow, what a gem. This show is fantastic. Some hilariously great writing, good acting. This is on par with Mr In-between in terms of quality, IMO. First episode was really solid, but this second episode is pure gold. 100% critic rating on Rotten Tomatoes, it's 5 seasons, came out in 2010. It's about a lawyer with bad habits (gambling, prostitution) and just so good. Highly, highly recommend.

5. Clickbait -- No. Got through about 3-4 episodes and just gave up. Annoying characters, just not that good. Don't waste your time.

6. Dr Death -- I got through 2 episodes. It's ok. Crazy story I never heard about but watching it just isn't that interesting to me when you know what happened early on. I'll go back and watch some more at some point but nothing that compelling for me.
When you make an awesome list like this please include the platform. 

#YNWAHARVEY

I enjoyed the first 2 episodes of Y - The Last Man on Hulu.

Sure, the main guy Y is kinda lame. His monkey is cool. Agent 355 is definitely cool. There is a strange satisfaction to watching the world completely come apart just because there are no men. Seems like a kinda heavy handed anti-feminist theme. I'm not remotely anti-feminist, but as guy, I guess it's nice to see that we'll be missed. Also, the conservative anti-woke type people are getting painted to be the eventual villians I think. So, kinda mixed messaging on their thematic choices.

I enjoyed the first 2 episodes of Y - The Last Man on Hulu.

Sure, the main guy Y is kinda lame. His monkey is cool. Agent 355 is definitely cool. There is a strange satisfaction to watching the world completely come apart just because there are no men. Seems like a kinda heavy handed anti-feminist theme. I'm not remotely anti-feminist, but as guy, I guess it's nice to see that we'll be missed. Also, the conservative anti-woke type people are getting painted to be the eventual villians I think. So, kinda mixed messaging on their thematic choices.
I’m enjoying it as well. The last guy is a bit silly at times but then I realized that he was kind of that way in real life. Not exactly the same but it reminded me of Joffrey in GOT in that your hate of Joffrey makes you forget that the actor is playing his role well. Not saying this guy is a great actor, but he’s a magic teacher, got denied on his proposal and has to have his parents pay for his rent. Once you remember that, you can see that his lameness suits him. He will do stupid things and he won’t be 5 steps ahead like the agent (liked her as well).

I didn’t like the heavy handed anti-woke, basically called racist angle. I mean, so obvious who the “bad” people will be but I hate the caricature people.

Once you get to the 3rd episode, let me know what you think about the explosion. Wondering if the agent had something to do with it.

I know I'm waaaay late to the party but started watching the Walking Dead a couple weeks ago.  Just finished season 4, can't believe how many episodes each season is...not sure if I can make it through all of them but giving it a shot!

safe on the old netflix is really really good brohans take that to the bank 
It was weird seeing Dexter with an English accent and I was always expecting him to take care of a few people that got in his way but it was enjoyable.  

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
Been watching Broadchurch on Netflix.  Enjoying it.  Nearly through season 2 of 3.  British shows have this annoying/enjoyable habit of making you think about 10 people are the murderer each season.  I can't decide if I hate it or love it, but we keep watching.  

Also slowly watching Derry Girls along with 30 Rock, both also on Netflix.  Enjoying both for what they are.  Derry Girls is quite tough to 'translate' but we can usually comprehend the majority.

Been watching Broadchurch on Netflix.  Enjoying it.  Nearly through season 2 of 3.  British shows have this annoying/enjoyable habit of making you think about 10 people are the murderer each season.  I can't decide if I hate it or love it, but we keep watching.  
I enjoyed the first 2 season but couldn't get into s3 at all.  Grew an appreciation for David Tennant while watching that show  :thumbup:

Also slowly watching Derry Girls along with 30 Rock, both also on Netflix.  Enjoying both for what they are.  Derry Girls is quite tough to 'translate' but we can usually comprehend the majority.

Pro tip: call your significant other "MILL-AH!" every once in a while for your own gratification.  I'm sure yours will enjoy it as much as my wife did.

My apologies if previously mentioned, but "Into the Night" season 2 on Netflix is out. Seeing it pop up for the first time today so perhaps newly released. I enjoyed the first season but worry that the transition from "running from the sun" to "staying alive in a bunker" won't be as interesting.

Poke_4_Life said:
We've watched the episodes a couple of times to make sure we catch all (or most) of the jokes.

The nun absolutely KILLS it

yak651 said:
I know I'm waaaay late to the party but started watching the Walking Dead a couple weeks ago.  Just finished season 4, can't believe how many episodes each season is...not sure if I can make it through all of them but giving it a shot!
where are you in the plot? be aware...the show falls FAR off the deep end coming up. I was a huge fan of the earlier seasons- I love the post-apoc genre, and they were handling all of it incredibly well- solid writing, characters and world building.  As much as I tried to hang on after the writing fell apart, I just couldn't eventually and had to pull the plug. It went from have to see live tv to I'll catch it later and speed through the commercials to I'll get to it later in the week to meh- this is a waste of my time.

soothsayer said:
My apologies if previously mentioned, but "Into the Night" season 2 on Netflix is out. Seeing it pop up for the first time today so perhaps newly released. I enjoyed the first season but worry that the transition from "running from the sun" to "staying alive in a bunker" won't be as interesting.
so dumb. I also enjoyed the first season in spite of the dumb. I stumbled onto S2 the other night...your worry is apt, at least a few into things. not sure I'll continue, even though the eps are short.

wife and I have been watching Lovecraft Country....kind of a hot mess bouncing between campy b-movie sci-fi and a more cutting study of racial/racist horror. It's interesting enough though..oops. I see it's been cancelled.
great googly moogly...the two dancing girls that are the curse of the daughter- my favorite creepy element to a show I can remember. :shock:   :scared:   :wub:

where are you in the plot? be aware...the show falls FAR off the deep end coming up. I was a huge fan of the earlier seasons- I love the post-apoc genre, and they were handling all of it incredibly well- solid writing, characters and world building.  As much as I tried to hang on after the writing fell apart, I just couldn't eventually and had to pull the plug. It went from have to see live tv to I'll catch it later and speed through the commercials to I'll get to it later in the week to meh- this is a waste of my time.

so dumb. I also enjoyed the first season in spite of the dumb. I stumbled onto S2 the other night...your worry is apt, at least a few into things. not sure I'll continue, even though the eps are short.
Last night watched some of season 5, up to where Beth gets caught trying to escape the hospital and ends with Karen (think that's her name, short hair lady) is brought in.  That's disappointing that it goes off the rails, was enjoying it so far.  No commercials on Netflix so each episode goes by at a good pace. So when it was on AMC was there nudity?  Keep seeing the rating at top with gore, violence, nudity but haven't seen any yet  :bs:

Last night watched some of season 5, up to where Beth gets caught trying to escape the hospital and ends with Karen (think that's her name, short hair lady) is brought in.  That's disappointing that it goes off the rails, was enjoying it so far.  No commercials on Netflix so each episode goes by at a good pace. So when it was on AMC was there nudity?  Keep seeing the rating at top with gore, violence, nudity but haven't seen any yet  :bs:
huh...IIRC, there's no frontal (boobs) nudity, but there may have been some butts. and lots and lots of dongs.

from what I understand, even though the show was hugely successful for AMC, they cut the budget a lot. you can see it in sets and special effcts, but also in the writing. I'm will to suspend disbelief for sci-fi/fantasy stuff (like zombies) but I need the world and people to behave in a way that makes sense otherwise... too often the writing takes it to places where it neither does. It also suffers from retreading the same plot lines over and over and over and rinse/repeat.

there's a TWD thread here.. might be worth checking out, but start from the beginning!

We also watched late and enjoyed the early seasons...  but we stopped once a new character was introduced...  I don't remember the season, and I can't say much w/out spoilers...  it was beyond your current season.  (Just looked, we stopped at the end of season 6.)

I’m enjoying it as well. The last guy is a bit silly at times but then I realized that he was kind of that way in real life. Not exactly the same but it reminded me of Joffrey in GOT in that your hate of Joffrey makes you forget that the actor is playing his role well. Not saying this guy is a great actor, but he’s a magic teacher, got denied on his proposal and has to have his parents pay for his rent. Once you remember that, you can see that his lameness suits him. He will do stupid things and he won’t be 5 steps ahead like the agent (liked her as well).

I didn’t like the heavy handed anti-woke, basically called racist angle. I mean, so obvious who the “bad” people will be but I hate the caricature people.

Once you get to the 3rd episode, let me know what you think about the explosion. Wondering if the agent had something to do with it.
Watched it last night. Solid point on Yorrick, the actor is doing his job if I think he's lame. And man, now lying about him being engaged and being resistant to help, yeah, he's super lame. Maybe the arc for him is one of growing up and becoming a better person?

I absolutely think 355 caused that explosion.

Watched it last night. Solid point on Yorrick, the actor is doing his job if I think he's lame. And man, now lying about him being engaged and being resistant to help, yeah, he's super lame. Maybe the arc for him is one of growing up and becoming a better person?

I absolutely think 355 caused that explosion.
Absolutely think it will be about him becoming a man so to speak. Glad you agree on the explosion. I thought it immediately even though I felt like the show was trying to blame it on those evil Republicans who of course would fire a rocket lol. I felt stronger about it because she didn’t go into defensive mode, watch out for the next rocket.

I just hope the anti-woke stuff doesn’t get overdone. That could ruin a decent premise and start. One person I’m interested in seeing what happens to is the President’s PR lady who get left behind. Something tells me she could end up being a pretty evil leader/warlord.

@(HULK)

I just read some stuff on Wikipedia about the comics and characters and I’ll be honest, not sure this show is going to be good anymore. I’ll stick with it but the stuff I read was really odd.

I don’t recall any nudity except maybe a butt or too.

It’s Carol, not Karen. By the way, the hospital was one of the last really good story arcs. The ending of that was amazing.

I was binging it so hard, I had to intentionally stop watching to leave some for later and savor the last of it.

it's really so good. and like you, if not for the love in this thread I never would've watched it.
:goodposting:

Way too many late nights, can't put it down.

:tebow:

@yak651 Don’t go in the walking dead thread. There was a discussion on the story line you are in now and there are no spoiler tags. Like I said it was a great story line before the show really went off the rails.

I don’t recall any nudity except maybe a butt or too.

It’s Carol, not Karen. By the way, the hospital was one of the last really good story arcs. The ending of that was amazing.
Literally part of that stretch where Carol was the best thing about that show, far and away.

Lol. I did a double take too. He and I had a lot of discussions on Lost in here. That was around 15 years ago. Damn.
LMAO. I didn't post here for a couple years. Took off from fantasy football last year, this year it dragged me back and I figured I'd stop by the FFA.

I also had a job where I just didn't have time to waste, and that's transitioned to a role that is pretty simple for me, so I'm down to burn my spare time on this stuff.

LMAO. I didn't post here for a couple years. Took off from fantasy football last year, this year it dragged me back and I figured I'd stop by the FFA.

I also had a job where I just didn't have time to waste, and that's transitioned to a role that is pretty simple for me, so I'm down to burn my spare time on this stuff.
I dumped FF a few years ago, a great choice as it sucked way too much time especially when the kids were big and had their own games. That was the primary reason I came here until Lost. Honestly, there’s only a few threads I really frequent. I do remember those Lost discussions. HFS, the shark with the Dharma symbol.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've heard about these TV show things and how they are evidently better than movies now.   Loaded up a bunch in my queue and will try a couple out tonight.    :popcorn:  

Another big thumbs up for Mr. Inbetween.  I've binged seasons 1 and 2 over the past week or so and just started on season 3.  Having the short 30-minute episodes makes it easy to get through quickly too, which is nice.  You can actually watch the entire 6-episode first season in a single day, which is actually the perfect way to jump into the series anyway.

Another big thumbs up for Mr. Inbetween.  I've binged seasons 1 and 2 over the past week or so and just started on season 3.  Having the short 30-minute episodes makes it easy to get through quickly too, which is nice.  You can actually watch the entire 6-episode first season in a single day, which is actually the perfect way to jump into the series anyway.
Another.  Binged 1 & 2 the last couple days.  Great show.  

I watched ep 1 & 2 last night based on the recommendations here. Does it get better?

I like it and will keep watching, but a few things don't sit right with me:

1. Are there no police in his town? He goes around beating and killing people and doesn't feel the need to wear a mask or lay low at any time?

2. I how does a guy like Ray get the paramedic girl? He's pretty ugly. 

I watched ep 1 & 2 last night based on the recommendations here. Does it get better?

1. Are there no police in his town? He goes around beating and killing people and doesn't feel the need to wear a mask or lay low at any time?

Doesn't sound like the show for you. You should try The Walking Dead instead.

Last edited by a moderator:

1- I had similar thoughts. this does get addressed.

2- it's a tv show. the real question should be how is woman that pretty both single AND a paramedic. At least Ray is confident and funny- not just american obese and kind of funny.

stbugs said:
I dumped FF a few years ago, a great choice as it sucked way too much time especially when the kids were big and had their own games. That was the primary reason I came here until Lost. Honestly, there’s only a few threads I really frequent. I do remember those Lost discussions. HFS, the shark with the Dharma symbol.
My kids are old enough for LOST now... but I'm not sure I want to make them fall in love with a show and watch it fall off a cliff into terribleness.

My kids are old enough for LOST now... but I'm not sure I want to make them fall in love with a show and watch it fall off a cliff into terribleness.
Lol. I enjoyed the ending way more than you. I think I watched some of it with my oldest, but we didn’t get far.

Capella said:
Anybody watching Only Murders in the Building - on Hulu? Fun little murder mystery with Steve Martin Short 
It's been good, not great. As a Police fan, I enjoyed Sting's cameo.

stbugs said:
fwiw, we watched Lost front to back with our kids (9 & 13 at the time) during the lockdown. they LOVED it. and I actually didn't mind the last couple seasons this time around..but was reminded of how great those first couple seasons were before they started making it up as they went along.

fwiw, we watched Lost front to back with our kids (9 & 13 at the time) during the lockdown. they LOVED it. and I actually didn't mind the last couple seasons this time around..but was reminded of how great those first couple seasons were before they started making it up as they went along.
I don’t think they made it up, just didn’t end like people thought it would. I remember from day 1 they said they had the plan mapped out. If you remember there were filler episodes (the actors and the spiders) in I think season 3 and the show runners said that they didn’t want to do that anymore. They admitted that ABC made them make filler episodes to get to 24 per season. That’s when they said 3 more seasons, 16 episodes a piece. Abrams, Lindelof and Cuse have done a lot of other decent work so I tend to believe them that they had the end game in mind. Again, might not have been everyone’s favorite but I think making it up puts it in the same bucket as say Matrix 2 and 3, which were clearly, crap we made a lot what do we do next. We also didn’t have creative differences and change showrunners like TWD and watch it become meh. I loved the early stuff more than the ending but still liked it all.

I was a massive, massive fan but I tapped out in season 8 when I heard a particular major character was leaving the show the next year. The writing was never the greatest but it went downhill very quickly after season 4 & 5. There’s still some good stuff in between the “WTF were they thinking” moments. But once the cast starts seeing the writing on the wall and starts leaving, you know things have gotten bad.

Stay far, far away from the show thread on here. Nothing but schtick after schtick and ####posts like “who’s mowing the grass?” “Is Laurie really dead?” and “Kaaaarrrllll.” it eventually devolves into people that still liked the show hoping it would improve arguing with those that hate it (and yet still continuing to watch.)

Users who are viewing this thread