What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Streaming or currently airing TV shows (AKA Netflix thread) (16 Viewers)

Mad Men is my favorite show ever, so I’d start there. 

Succession is one of the best shows in recent years. Yellowstone is fun, but dumb. Basically a soap opera. Couldn’t finish Dexter and haven’t seen the rest. 
succession is a soap opera as well, each show follows the same pattern and yet i’m still watching it. 

succession is a soap opera as well, each show follows the same pattern and yet i’m still watching it. 
Yea that’s true. Just seems like succession is better written. Yellowstone is just one long string of guys in cowboy hats saying things like “a stream is like life, son…sometimes it’s fast, sometimes it’s slow, sometimes it’s bumpy, but it’s never, ever predictable” while they throw a rock into the stream and chew on a toothpick. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Succession is fine and perfectly watchable but I just don’t at all understand those who hype it up as one of the best shows of the last few years. YMMV I guess. 

If I upgrade to a Netflix Premium plan how does that work if I have various devices, some of which support 4k and some of which don't? 

Do I have to choose the specific format each time I try to load a show to watch?

Succession is fine and perfectly watchable but I just don’t at all understand those who hype it up as one of the best shows of the last few years. YMMV I guess. 
This season has had a few terrific episodes but a bunch of clunkers too. First two were way better imo. 

I have the following shows that I've never seen on a tentative watch list.  Any of these so amazing I need to watch ASAP? Any I should take off because they are universally disliked or just overhyped?

Mad Men

Yellowstone

Outlander

Broadchurch

Dexter

Succession

Cobra Kai
Mad Men - all time great.  Start here IMO

Succession - good show, kind of a slow burn at times.  First 2 seasons probably some of the best TV in recent years, this season has been kinda meh

Dexter - peaks in season 4 and goes downhill fast

cobra Kai - fun show, but it’s a bit hokey at times

yellowstone - it’s entertaining but it’s pretty soapy.  I like it more than I expected to though…I was pretty hesitant based on some recommendations by real life people I know 

broadchurch - I remember liking season 1.  Don’t recall any other seasons being memorable 

outlander - :shrug:

It's only 5 episodes.  I liked the Thanksgiving episode about his friend, so I'll give it a shot.
What a pile of dung season 3 was. Just miserable. Do you like miscarriages, divorce, and every detail of in vitro fertilization? Have I got a season for you!  Also mostly filmed in a house with bad acoustics and a mumbling actress.  This is probably the most disappointed I’ve ever been by a show.

Anyone else watching Yellowjackets on Showtime?  3 episodes in but its pretty insane so far.

Its about a high school girls soccer team whose plane crashes out in the mountains.  Flashes back and forth between their time in the woods (1996) and the survivors in present day.

Wont spoil anything (although the general theme shows itself in the opening scene) but its pretty intense.  Some pretty solid actresses in it (Juliet Lewis, Christina Ricci).

McBokonon said:
Google lists Succession as satire which I just noticed the other day. I actually think watching it in that light made it somehow more enjoyable to me and I liked it already.
hard for me to watch a show without anything resembling a protagonist

Anyone else watching Yellowjackets on Showtime?  3 episodes in but its pretty insane so far.

Its about a high school girls soccer team whose plane crashes out in the mountains.  Flashes back and forth between their time in the woods (1996) and the survivors in present day.

Wont spoil anything (although the general theme shows itself in the opening scene) but its pretty intense.  Some pretty solid actresses in it (Juliet Lewis, Christina Ricci).
So it's the female version of Alive ?

Anybody still watching Invasion?

The recent episode felt like more of the same- decent, and pushing the story along but lacking....pace? Not sure. I wonder if less character story lines would have made this a better show. Seems like we get a head of steam going and then cut elsewhere just as I get pulled in.

I found it waaaay better than Army of The Dead, which actually came out first.  Didn't hurt that this had Nathalie Emmanuel in it, tho. Difficult to not like watching her for 90 minutes.
See I struggled with it. Felt it was trying too hard to be cute and funny at times. 

Just finished up Elves on the Flix.  6 episode creature feature from some Scandinavian country I imagine.  Total Meh but if you like creature features it's decent background viewing. 

Queuing up Lost in Space season 3 now. 

The one thing, yeah, about Succession this season, yeah, is they are constantly ending sentences with “yeah,” yeah?

Just finished up Elves on the Flix.  6 episode creature feature from some Scandinavian country I imagine.  Total Meh but if you like creature features it's decent background viewing. 
there was a comic book back when I was a kid called Elf Quest- great graphics for the time, and interesting (to young me) fantasy story line. I wonder if this is based on that?

eta: just googled. no. not the same, unfortunately. this looks pretty meh at best.

there was a comic book back when I was a kid called Elf Quest- great graphics for the time, and interesting (to young me) fantasy story line. I wonder if this is based on that?

eta: just googled. no. not the same, unfortunately. this looks pretty meh at best.
I wish they would make a show or a movie out of the Elf Quest graphic novels.  I loved them when I was a kid.

Wagon-Train is a cool show, but did you notice they never get anywhere?  They just keep wagon-training.  

Anyone else think The Power of the Dog was nonsensical? It’s getting rave reviews but I found it disappointing. I don’t want to write more unless I learn how spoiler tags work.
I really wasn’t interested after the preview. It seemed like they were going for a There Will Be Blood type of guy just on a horse ranch and also throwing in a little Brokeback.

If you need a show you can as a family with teenagers Alone does the trick.  Really well done, and doesn't seem to be any fake drama.  Our 17 year old son is asking to watch an episode with us every night.  :wub:

If you need a show you can as a family with teenagers Alone does the trick.  Really well done, and doesn't seem to be any fake drama.  Our 17 year old son is asking to watch an episode with us every night.  :wub:
the reality show, right? or is there another Alone show

I had seen the thread but didn't dig in since I hadn't watched any.  We heard one of the winners interviewed on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me podcast on a long trip this summer and decided to give it a shot.  Really glad we did.

I had seen the thread but didn't dig in since I hadn't watched any.  We heard one of the winners interviewed on Wait Wait Don't Tell Me podcast on a long trip this summer and decided to give it a shot.  Really glad we did.
Yeah, the thread is great, but tends to follow the season live. Would be hard to jump into it watching "off-season'....although that's how I started.

Eta...and the show really is amazing- or the concept and what/how people do to survive. 

What season are you on?

I thought it had potential to be in that category after the second season, but this third season is just really flat to me. Repetitive 

Yeah, the thread is great, but tends to follow the season live. Would be hard to jump into it watching "off-season'....although that's how I started.

Eta...and the show really is amazing- or the concept and what/how people do to survive. 

What season are you on?

We started with the Netflix season, which I believe is 7.  100 days for 1 mill. And then I found it On Demand so we will start at the beginning when done with this one.

In and Of Itself - Derek Delgado on Hulu.

If this has been mentioned apologies. We just got Hulu and basically stumbled onto this.

I always enjoy a good slight of hand /illusionist show but this was more. This was art. I'm blown away and how much fun and emotional this was.

14 Peaks: Nothing Is Impossible 

Doc about Nirmal “Nims” Punja MBE and his mountaineering team. In 2019 they attempted to set a new world record for summiting all 14 Eight-thousander Mountains.

Typically an Eight-thousander expedition takes two months to complete. Logistics includes equipment, putting the team together, hiring Sherpa guides, securing helicopter rescue insurance, getting climbing permits approved, et al. Huge endeavor.

The record for completing the 14 Eight-thousanders - mountains which are 8K meter or higher - is 8 years. Nims put together a three phase project to do it in 6 months.

Nims is an extraordinary and interesting guy, Became a Gurkha (Nepalese mercenary soldier) in the British Army 2003; three years later he became the first Gurkha to join the UK Special Forces (Special Boat Service, Royal Navy - akin to our Navy Seals.) Did his first Eight-thousander in 2012 and he was hooked. Resigned from the military and pursued a career in mountaineering.

Dude is a complete badass and this film is so inspirational. Streaming on Netflix, came out last Sunday. 

Power of the Dog. 

Cowboy movie. Western drama. Ok.

Knockout cast: Cumberbatch is the clear MVP here, though Dunst and Smit-McPhee come close. Surely Oscar noms will be bandied about.

I had just received my Weekend alerts from NY Times and this was the movie "to not miss".

We dimmed the lights, divvied the popped corn and away we went!

Ms. Mammy lasted 45 minutes. "I can't take this." Away she went to read a book instead. I plowed on.

The problem was the suggestiveness of the movie. It was apparent that impending, heart wrenching, emotional disaster was on the beautiful, cinematographic horizon. I mean, the beauty for me was you knew bad #### was gonna happen and the anticipation of the extent of the bad #### was what kept me glued.

Yeah, bad #### happened. But fortunately it was not what I was expecting. 

It is well worth the watch if you can endure impending doom in your mind that you think is coming. But it may not. LOL!

Anyone else think The Power of the Dog was nonsensical? It’s getting rave reviews but I found it disappointing. I don’t want to write more unless I learn how spoiler tags work.
Sense? You want sense in the middle of a cattle drive of a wtf is going on here movie? I hear ya brother. But I'm still piecing it together. I must have missed a very small part near the end that I've since found the answer to. 

I don't think I'll ever rewatch it but I do not regret watching it one bit. For me I was always looking ahead expecting the worst.

14 Peaks: Nothing Is Impossible 

Doc about Nirmal “Nims” Punja MBE and his mountaineering team. In 2019 they attempted to set a new world record for summiting all 14 Eight-thousander Mountains.

Typically an Eight-thousander expedition takes two months to complete. Logistics includes equipment, putting the team together, hiring Sherpa guides, securing helicopter rescue insurance, getting climbing permits approved, et al. Huge endeavor.

The record for completing the 14 Eight-thousanders - mountains which are 8K meter or higher - is 8 years. Nims put together a three phase project to do it in 6 months.

Nims is an extraordinary and interesting guy, Became a Gurkha (Nepalese mercenary soldier) in the British Army 2003; three years later he became the first Gurkha to join the UK Special Forces (Special Boat Service, Royal Navy - akin to our Navy Seals.) Did his first Eight-thousander in 2012 and he was hooked. Resigned from the military and pursued a career in mountaineering.

Dude is a complete badass and this film is so inspirational. Streaming on Netflix, came out last Sunday. 
Really was inspiring. Total badass too. 

Has anyone else watched the documentary Life of Crime 1984-2020, on HBO? 

Wow, not sure what to say about it but I was riveted to my seat. Could be tough subject matter for some but really worth a watch IMO.

Tells the 36 year story of three friends from Newark, New Jersey whose lives have been defined by and torn apart by their addictions. 

Just finished Mr. Inbetween

What a great show! Not sure I've ever been so bummed that a show was over. 3 seasons was way too short. Looking forward to whatever Scott Ryan does next, mate.

Has anyone watched The Magician (available on tubi) based on the same character?

Just finished Mr. Inbetween

What a great show! Not sure I've ever been so bummed that a show was over. 3 seasons was way too short. Looking forward to whatever Scott Ryan does next, mate.

Has anyone watched The Magician (available on tubi) based on the same character?
Mr. Inbetween was so good.  didn't realize season 3 was the end.  almost had a meltdown.  His reaction to getting dumped by his girlfriend was cool as was his actions when that dork took his little girls unicorn.  so many classic scenes that you kinda knew were coming.  My son gave me high 5s for my recommendation.

Sense? You want sense in the middle of a cattle drive of a wtf is going on here movie? I hear ya brother. But I'm still piecing it together. I must have missed a very small part near the end that I've since found the answer to. 

I don't think I'll ever rewatch it but I do not regret watching it one bit. For me I was always looking ahead expecting the worst.
I rewatched it. I was wrong. Actually, it’s a terrific movie.

Users who are viewing this thread