What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Sweet Science Thread*** (2 Viewers)

All those people that will lineup to pay to see them fight again.   Golden Boy going to have himself at least 3 fights with these guys.    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

i know the hot takery is to cry foul and moan about the death of boxing, Canelo couldn't possibly have won, it wasn't close, etc.

Canelo is a counter puncher. he wasn't going to press Golovkin and look like the aggressor. i can't recall a single punch GGG landed where i thought "oh ####, that made an impression". but i can think of a couple instances where Canelo landed heavy shots that backed GGG off.

there were a couple instances late where it felt like GGG was operating on auto-pilot like only a seriously seasoned, tough fighter does. where he gets rocked by a shot but instead of backing off to gather himself, he increases the pressure and comes forward. offensive defense. 

Canelo lost, i think that's pretty fair to say but it wasn't an embarrassing whitewash like some people want to believe.

the beauty of boxing is that 3 people score the fight. it's not judged by computers (i can not ####### believe that some are suggesting Compubox take over.  have you watched the ####### Olympics?? talk about tragic decision making, ####). people are going to have varied opinions on what matters.  some will favor the guy coming forward throwing a high volume even if he's noodle armed and unorthodox.  some will favor the guy who lands 2 hard punches a round because that could knock out an opponent.

just depends what impresses/matters to the individual judge

i couldn't have seen anything lower than 116-112 and don't understand 118-110 Canelo but i'd have to go back and look at all 100+ (that's no joke) of her title fights to start calling her biased, bought off or incompetent.

Alvarez is a fraud.  Dominated by an all-but-done Mayweather, cleanly beaten by GGG even after waiting until age caught up with the Kazakh, cheated his way to results in other big fights, every fight with completely bogus scorecards going his way.  FRAUD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Dedfin said:
It's not the 118-110 scorecard that caused the draw.  Who cares if Canelo got 118 points on one card?  He doesn't get the carry the extra points over to another one.  Would people be besides themselves if that card was 115-113?  No, why?  Because it was close?  The outcome would have been exactly the same - a draw.  The judge that had the 114-114 card knew he was delivering a draw on the match.  The draw is the problem.
Reasonable prople scored that fight betw 116-112 for G and a draw. If you replace Byrd (or at least have an impartial Byrd), G possibly wins a MD. Possibly. He still might draw, but you get to that result the right way. 

Once is happenstance, twice is a coincidence, three times is an enemy action.  Alvarez gets results by buying them.

i know the hot takery is to cry foul and moan about the death of boxing, Canelo couldn't possibly have won, it wasn't close, etc.

Canelo is a counter puncher. he wasn't going to press Golovkin and look like the aggressor. i can't recall a single punch GGG landed where i thought "oh ####, that made an impression". but i can think of a couple instances where Canelo landed heavy shots that backed GGG off.

there were a couple instances late where it felt like GGG was operating on auto-pilot like only a seriously seasoned, tough fighter does. where he gets rocked by a shot but instead of backing off to gather himself, he increases the pressure and comes forward. offensive defense. 

Canelo lost, i think that's pretty fair to say but it wasn't an embarrassing whitewash like some people want to believe.

the beauty of boxing is that 3 people score the fight. it's not judged by computers (i can not ####### believe that some are suggesting Compubox take over.  have you watched the ####### Olympics?? talk about tragic decision making, ####). people are going to have varied opinions on what matters.  some will favor the guy coming forward throwing a high volume even if he's noodle armed and unorthodox.  some will favor the guy who lands 2 hard punches a round because that could knock out an opponent.

just depends what impresses/matters to the individual judge

i couldn't have seen anything lower than 116-112 and don't understand 118-110 Canelo but i'd have to go back and look at all 100+ (that's no joke) of her title fights to start calling her biased, bought off or incompetent.
It is well known that Adelaide Byrd is one of the most defective judges in boxing and MMA history.  Just do a quick search and her name will top the list.

can you guys change the title of this thread from sweet science to utter b.s./rigged sport? I mean really scoring to set up the auto rematch is not coincidence, just embarrasing for all involved

Boxing will never die...because fighting will never die...people love fights ...any fights...hell people will watch 2 teenage girls tear each other's weaves out and be entertained

WhatDoIKnow said:
I felt after the McGreggor/Mayweather fight that boxing fans needed to get over themselves because it was entertaining.

I was wrong, and I get where they were coming from  This fight was 10x more entertaining.

The draw still left me :shuked:

How long has it been?  Isn't it time we have a :shuked: smiley? 
I was absolutely 100% wrong about how that mayweather fight would be received. People seemed to really enjoy it or feel like it was worth their time or money. I didnt find it compelling, but i'll take it for not being a complete debacle.

GGG threw 200 more total punches than Canelo, landed more punches, & was the aggressor.  Canelo may & I mean may have landed a few more power punches but GGG walked right through everything.

GGG won that fight.

No one should be outraged or surprised. The sweet science has always been rigged and dirty. It is what it is. It can still be entertaining, but I'd advise not taking it seriously. 

That said, the sport could do itself a favor by fighting 11 or 13 rounds rather than 10 and 12. Yes, a 10-8 round can skew things, but for the most part, an odd number of rounds eliminates the draw....of course, they probably love the draw anyways. 

WhatDoIKnow said:
I felt after the McGreggor/Mayweather fight that boxing fans needed to get over themselves because it was entertaining.

I was wrong, and I get where they were coming from  This fight was 10x more entertaining.

The draw still left me :shuked:

How long has it been?  Isn't it time we have a :shuked: smiley? 
Boxing is way more entertaining than MMA (I say that as an MMA fan). If only kickboxing was promoted better.

MMA clearly not rigged. fighters are all clean. 3 minute bouts are totally worth the PPV buy.
:lol:  Boxing is as scripted as WWE

UFC had this card Saturday night. It was so much better than that boxing event.

Middleweight: Luke Rockhold def. David Branch Submission (punches)

Welterweight: Mike Perry def. Alex Reyes KO (knee)

Middleweight: Anthony Smith def. Hector Lombard TKO (punches)

Lightweight: Gregor Gillespie def. Jason Gonzalez Submission (arm-triangle choke)

Welterweight: Kamaru Usman def.Sérgio Moraes KO (punches)

Heavyweight: Justin Ledet def. Zu Anyanwu Decision (split) (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)

Lightweight: Olivier Aubin-Mercier def. Tony Martin Decision (split) (28-29, 29-28, 29-28)

Heavyweight: Daniel Spitz def. Anthony Hamilton TKO (punches)

Middleweight: Uriah Hall def. Krzysztof Jotko TKO (punches)

Lightweight: Gilbert Burns def. Jason Saggo KO (punch)

Andre Ward is "leaving boxing." Happy for him to go out on top. Should benefit his long term health as well. I don't think it was ever going to happen anyway, but I'm disappointed that this closes the door on a Ward-Stevenson bout.

Maybe we will see Kovalev-Stevenson now. If Stevenson beats Alvarez they won't have anybody left to fight except each other. 

Andre Ward is "leaving boxing." Happy for him to go out on top. Should benefit his long term health as well. I don't think it was ever going to happen anyway, but I'm disappointed that this closes the door on a Ward-Stevenson bout.

Maybe we will see Kovalev-Stevenson now. If Stevenson beats Alvarez they won't have anybody left to fight except each other. 
I am not convinced Stevenson isn't fighting anyone worth a #### until the bell rings with Stevenson and (fighter worth a ####) are in the ring together. 

Kovalev will fall out of the picture quickly if he can get his house in order, e.g. actually hire a trainer and (allegedly) cut back on the :banned:  I'm not convinced he walks over Shabranskyy in November tbh.

There's a talented crew coming up in that division: Beterbiev, Barrera, Gvozdyk, Bivol,  Alvarez, and Jack obviously looked good at his 175 debut. No names as big as Kovalev as Ward, but plenty of really good fights that can happen between that group. 

No problem for me with the decision.  Linares was the better fighter while Campbell was more effective.  In this case, a draw would have been equitable.

ETA: A better fight than last week's IMO

I watched this fight tonight without knowing the result beforehand. 

I thought a draw was fair. GGG peppered Canelo all night but they were pity patty shots while I felt Canelo landed more effective power shots. 

At the end of the fight, GGGs face was a mess and Canelo looked like he barely got hit. 

Also, I think Canelo is a fellow Irishman and there isn't anything you can say to  dissuade me. 

:lmao:

Wilder : "You gotta give props to Stiverne..." 

Gray : "For what?" 
:lmao:   i laughed out loud when i saw this. 

I am intrigued enough to see him and AJ fight.  But it think they will make him fight someone else first.  Should be entertaining.  When wilder just stood there hands down after the first Knock down i nearly lost it.  straight disrespect.  :lmao:

:lmao:   i laughed out loud when i saw this. 

I am intrigued enough to see him and AJ fight.  But it think they will make him fight someone else first.  Should be entertaining.  When wilder just stood there hands down after the first Knock down i nearly lost it.  straight disrespect.  :lmao:
Joshua holds all the cards. He can sell out an arena against Carlos Takam, Kubrat Pulev, maybe even one of us.  He doesn't need anyone to make a massive fight. Parker's pretty mediocre, and is probably going to be cashed out as soon as his team can make a fight with AJ. Opinions vary wildly on Wilder, but I think he's crap. And Joshua's fought 3 guys who are tougher than anyone Wilder's fought in almost 40 fights.

The entire Stiverne fight was fishy. The way he fell on the first knockdown was weird. If you get hit with a straight right like that, you usually crumple straight down, Stiverne fell backwards. In the second one the last punch that Wilder threw landed squarely on Stiverne's guard. Not to mention that Stiverne was, you know, not doing anything.

Users who are viewing this thread