What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Sweet Science Thread*** (4 Viewers)

I`m waiting to hear the Wilder fans screaming Wilder only lost because  Fury got a long count after the 2nd knockdown

I`m waiting to hear the Wilder fans screaming Wilder only lost because  Fury got a long count after the 2nd knockdown
Im pretty sure you wont see that.  Not from this Wilder fan at least.  That was a war!  The right guy won.  Fury is the lineal for a reason and he deserves that title.    But WIlder is a warrior and proved alot tonight as well.  Id love to see him and AJ now.  I would have loved for him to get a tune up first since he switched trainers and had a long layoff(as did Fury).  Hell id watch that again if say Fury fights Usyk and wilder fights AJ and wins :shrug:

Usyk-Fury is going to be fascinating and im here for it!

And yea i dont know how any of these guys deal with such a massive person leaning on them for 12 rounds.  Just brutal and zaps your energy. 

Im pretty sure you wont see that.  Not from this Wilder fan at least.  That was a war!  The right guy won.  Fury is the lineal for a reason and he deserves that title.    But WIlder is a warrior and proved alot tonight as well.  Id love to see him and AJ now.  I would have loved for him to get a tune up first since he switched trainers and had a long layoff(as did Fury).  Hell id watch that again if say Fury fights Usyk and wilder fights AJ and wins :shrug:

Usyk-Fury is going to be fascinating and im here for it!

And yea i dont know how any of these guys deal with such a massive person leaning on them for 12 rounds.  Just brutal and zaps your energy. 
Im on a few Boxing social media pages and the Wilder fans are in fact crying foul about the long count,saying Wilder should contest the count in court . People even pulling out stop watches with the knockdown on the tv and timing the count ,stopping the watch at 13 seconds .We havent heard the last of this ,which is too bad because it just taints an amazing trilogy . Fury just keeps proving himself over and over ,getting up 4 times from a right hand that rendered 40 other fighters unconscious ,that IN itself is  jaw dropping.

If Wilder bows out and accepts this defeat graciously he will win over so many more fans with just the heart he displayed .

ChuckyCheeze said:
Im on a few Boxing social media pages and the Wilder fans are in fact crying foul about the long count,saying Wilder should contest the count in court . People even pulling out stop watches with the knockdown on the tv and timing the count ,stopping the watch at 13 seconds .We havent heard the last of this ,which is too bad because it just taints an amazing trilogy . Fury just keeps proving himself over and over ,getting up 4 times from a right hand that rendered 40 other fighters unconscious ,that IN itself is  jaw dropping.

If Wilder bows out and accepts this defeat graciously he will win over so many more fans with just the heart he displayed .
surprised to see that but that’s likely because Andre ward and the broadcast team also cast doubt on it.  I didn’t think it was slow personally but they certainly did.  

im on a bunch of boards too and I’m not really seeing that but i haven’t been on much this morning.

Yea i went back and looked and they were slow.  But fighters usually wait until like 7 to get up regardless.  So it’s a non issue.
Yup.  The fighters listen to the count and it’s smart to wait until 6-7 or so before getting up.  

They don’t use a stopwatch.  That’s not how the count works.  

They don’t use a stopwatch.  That’s not how the count works.  
They kind of do though.  The timekeeper starts counting off a stopwatch and the ref is supposed to pick up his/her count at that exact pace.  This ref didn't do that.  

Like I said previously, I think Fury could have beaten a normal count both times. 

RULE IS 10-COUNT, NOT 10 SECONDS

According to the rules of the New York and New Jersey boxing commissions, a knockout is not necessarily 10 seconds, but rather a count of 10.

"A 10-count is not done by a stopwatch," said Larry Hazzard, a former referee and now chairman of the New Jersey State Athletic Control Board. "That's splitting hairs. The question is, did the fighter beat the count and can he continue?"

Quoted directly from the Nevada State Athletic Commission website.

A timekeeper additionally assists the referee in counting for knockdowns to assure the fighter has the correct amount of time to return to the contest. 

A timekeeper usually works in tandem with a partner so that there is consistent observation of the contest.  One partner is responsible for reading the various clocks and the other observes the contest and verbally calls out time intervals to his or her partner.  Working together, the timekeeper provides the officials with all information related to timekeeping and must be able to react to unique and unexpected events that take place during a contest.  

Boxing matches have an official timekeeper who starts counting seconds as soon as a boxer is on the ground. At the same time, the referee pauses the fight, sends the other standing boxer to a neutral corner, and then picks up the count from the timekeeper. This is why you usually see the ref start counting at 3 or 4, and not 1.

Once the ref picks up the count, it’s up to them to finish at their pace. For example, if the standing boxer doesn’t stay in their corner then the ref will pause the count to give more time to the fallen boxer as a deterrence.

Notice that it’s called the 10-count rule and not the 10-second rule. The count doesn’t have to be exactly accurate, and it almost never is.

When the count is excessively long, it’s called a slow count or a long count, but it’s not illegal because it’s up to the ref, even if it causes a lot of controversy.

Anyone watching the fights on ESPN tonight?
I caught the last couple fights. I had never seen Jamel Herring. Clearly he was out classed last night, but even in his highlight package, I can’t believe this guy ever became a world champion. 

Xander Zayas looked good against a has been that never was.

I caught the last couple fights. I had never seen Jamel Herring. Clearly he was out classed last night, but even in his highlight package, I can’t believe this guy ever became a world champion. 
He had a pretty soft path to that title. He had no chance against Stevenson who was far and away the best fighter Herring has ever stepped in the ring with.

Cant wait i think this will be a good fight.  However i dont see Plant winning unless he can KO Canelo and i dont see that happening.  Canelo late round tko. 

plants defense is very impressive.  i like the game plan. but he doesnt have the power to back canelo off.... at some point i think canelo will get there.

I love that Shawn Porter honored Marvelous Marvin Hagler with that amazing Robe he wore into the ring...class act

In a fight i didnt have a favorite that alone makes me root for Porter🥊

Last edited by a moderator:
Intensity picking up ,I keep waiting for Porter to get caught with a big counter as hes lunging in,but he looks so focused

Horrible call.  You missed by a round.  j/k

good fight but I don’t think porter had a chance after the knockdowns.  His dad didn’t want him to take a beating.  
Yea i agree.  Im torn though.  Basically its his last real chance at a title most likely and he wasnt that hurt.  I feel like you give him one more shot there.  Not to mention Kennys rant at the end seemed way over the top.  Ultimately, at that point he likely did not have a shot but ive seen crazier things.

PinkydaPimp said:
Yea i agree.  Im torn though.  Basically its his last real chance at a title most likely and he wasnt that hurt.  I feel like you give him one more shot there.  Not to mention Kennys rant at the end seemed way over the top.  Ultimately, at that point he likely did not have a shot but ive seen crazier things.
Seemed dad had more confidence in Crawford than his own son , thats gotta sting for Porter

Users who are viewing this thread