What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Can you negotiate with DirecTV? (3 Viewers)

irishnips said:
Just called got offered $45 off and 20% off of ST. She said no offers better than that for ST. I asked how some of my friends can get it for free and she said she didn't believe it. :)  Seriously, thanks for calling me a liar! Needless to say I set up my cancel date for 8/7 as contract is done 8/8. Let the games begin!

You likely won't want to go back a year ago in thread, but I got the same attitude - basically called me a liar.  

Had me pretty riled up.  She was a Cee You Next Tuesday and really seemed to enjoy it.  

Now that you've cancelled it should be smooth sailing.    

You likely won't want to go back a year ago in thread, but I got the same attitude - basically called me a liar.  

Had me pretty riled up.  She was a Cee You Next Tuesday and really seemed to enjoy it.  

Now that you've cancelled it should be smooth sailing.    
That was awesome 

irishnips said:
Just called got offered $45 off and 20% off of ST. She said no offers better than that for ST. I asked how some of my friends can get it for free and she said she didn't believe it. :)  Seriously, thanks for calling me a liar! Needless to say I set up my cancel date for 8/7 as contract is done 8/8. Let the games begin!
Well it worked for me also. Got the email this morning saying "Give us a chance" and called the 855-407-3110 number.

1 year commitment 

Free Sunday ticket max

Choice package. 3 tvs, dvr, hd, etc at $70 a month for a year

200 dollar gift card

Asked for movie stations but didn't have any deal. Will try back at a later time to ask for those.

Can someone please tell me if this is a good deal or not (for a first-time customer)?

$66 monthly for the bottom of the barrel TV package and 24mbps internet.

2 $200 gift cards and free install.

It's a 1 year contract for internet and 2 years for tv.

Can someone please tell me if this is a good deal or not (for a first-time customer)?

$66 monthly for the bottom of the barrel TV package and 24mbps internet.

2 $200 gift cards and free install.

It's a 1 year contract for internet and 2 years for tv.
sounds pretty good...I dont like the 2 year deal on TV...

Last edited by a moderator:
Called didnt even have to haggle this time.  Got the ticket. Got 40 bucks off my bill for a 12 months. So in an indirect way i got it for free. Plus more off my bill and didnt have to do the cancel trick. and no contract.

For those that got the email, does it come prior to service being cut?  

I just called. Garbage offer of 30/month for 6 months plus Showtime free for 4. Set my date for 8/10. 

Tiger Fan said:
just cancelled
Cancelled at 11am yesterday, an "Account Manager" called me back around 6 to ask why and if there was anything she can do.  I told it doesn't make sense for me to stay (expensive, netflex, vue, etc).  She asked what time would be good to call me back in the morning after my account officially cancelled.

:$:

Cancelled at 11am yesterday, an "Account Manager" called me back around 6 to ask why and if there was anything she can do.  I told it doesn't make sense for me to stay (expensive, netflex, vue, etc).  She asked what time would be good to call me back in the morning after my account officially cancelled.

:hifive:

I just had directv installed. The gentleman told me that if I call in every year and ask what upgrades I have available I will be able to get Sunday ticket free every year. I guess we will see when next year rolls around.

Done. Got XTRA with 3 genies, Sunday ticket and $200 gift card for $72/month. No movie channels, but I didn't really push it

I just had directv installed. The gentleman told me that if I call in every year and ask what upgrades I have available I will be able to get Sunday ticket free every year. I guess we will see when next year rolls around.
I have gotten it for free 11 years in a row

$90, 6 payments of $15. So my bill stays the same as its been for six months, then drops $15 cheaper than last year. Those savings add up to $90, and I think we got $200 gift cards last year??? So not as good as the year before. I'm still happy. 
Spent the past hour on the phone with directv. My statement came and had the 44.99 (1 of 6) charge for Sunday ticket. The $90 was for the Max. Complete bullspit and not what they offered. I tried canceling and they said because of the new contract I had to pay the early cancellation fee. Had to go up two levels to finally get that waived and set up cancellation for midnight tonight. They now have to credit me the fees for Sunday ticket and max. What a mess. 

Hopefully I end up with a better deal bc I noticed after I re-signed that others were getting better deals. Now I need to read over what others have been getting after they went through with the cancellation. Ugh. 

I called and they offered $30 off for 24 months.. I said no thanks and they offered $50 off for 12 months with 12 month commitment.. Free movie channels that I really didn't care about and 10 off for autopay.. I took the offer.  Didn't want to go through the hassle of cancelling and doing all that.  I didn't even wait for the sunday ticket offer as I've had that in the past and never end up using it.  Local team is always on, and most Sundays in the fall I end up being so busy, that is the only game I watch.  Could have held out for more, but the $60 off only took about 10 minutes on the phone and I was happy.  
Negotiating a little longer would have got you a $200 gift card as well

Spent the past hour on the phone with directv. My statement came and had the 44.99 (1 of 6) charge for Sunday ticket. The $90 was for the Max. Complete bullspit and not what they offered. I tried canceling and they said because of the new contract I had to pay the early cancellation fee. Had to go up two levels to finally get that waived and set up cancellation for midnight tonight. They now have to credit me the fees for Sunday ticket and max. What a mess. 

Hopefully I end up with a better deal bc I noticed after I re-signed that others were getting better deals. Now I need to read over what others have been getting after they went through with the cancellation. Ugh. 
They always tell you that, but once you call the next day, those fees go away.

Right, but what I was saying is you didn't have to spend an hour and 3 levels to get them waived. As soon as you call and re-up, the fees go away.
I understand. Getting those waived was only about 5 min. The rest of the time was discussing what I was offered compared to what I had and how to rectify that (it never was). 

If i get free st max and a gift card, that's better than I had and worth the hassle. I guess I refer to "Bigdeal"?

So month 12 starts for me on August 2nd. Sunday Ticket will be charged on September 2nd, the start of my 2nd year when all discounts are gone. What's the best timing to call?

Call next week and see what happens, worst thing is cancel on Sept 2nd, but set that date up with them and then they will call u with a sweet deal so you don't leave. Or call that number a day after u call and u will be good.

Anyone know if you can get the Red Zone channel separate from ST? 
Probably answered by now...but I did a few years ago.  Person was stingy and not giving away ST to me...I said I know RZ was not available on its own and was angling towards ST.  Guy said he could get me RZ on its own and did.

Question to those that cancelled service.   Did Directv reactivate your service over the phone or did someone have to come out?  Also, I assume all recordings on the DVR are still there.  

Last year I called and set a cancelation date and then called back and made a deal before it was actually disconnected.   It sounds like you have to actually disconnect this year.

Question to those that cancelled service.   Did Directv reactivate your service over the phone or did someone have to come out?  Also, I assume all recordings on the DVR are still there.  
They can do it all from their computer.  It is back on in like 5 minutes.

All DVR recording remained for me.

Yup everything stays and all the settings like series recordings etc. are not altered. He told me he would call by 8am and I had to call in around 11am as I did not receive a call. But the person that answered looked up my account walked over to the guy and he called me 5 minutes later. It was simple as it gets and well worth it,

I'm on day 2 with no service. Not a single call or email. Last year they called a dozen times in 2 hours. I really hate going through this, and now I'm bluffing the bigdeal. 

Probably answered by now...but I did a few years ago.  Person was stingy and not giving away ST to me...I said I know RZ was not available on its own and was angling towards ST.  Guy said he could get me RZ on its own and did.

Doesn't appear that they offer it by itself any more. Called and the rep said it's only available as part of the STMax package. :rant: . I just redid our service to lower it down a crap ton of $$, so there's no leverage to negotiate the STM. Anyone know of a plan B?

Doesn't appear that they offer it by itself any more. Called and the rep said it's only available as part of the STMax package. :rant: . I just redid our service to lower it down a crap ton of $$, so there's no leverage to negotiate the STM. Anyone know of a plan B?
That is what one rep told me a few years ago.  Then they ended up offering me RZ on its own when they were not going to give me ST Max free that year.(I still had a year on my contract I think that year and didn't really threaten to cancel).

I think they can offer about anything on its own if they want.  I will be angling for BeIn Sports this year to get the spanish soccer league available for me and my son to watch

That is what one rep told me a few years ago.  Then they ended up offering me RZ on its own when they were not going to give me ST Max free that year.(I still had a year on my contract I think that year and didn't really threaten to cancel).

I think they can offer about anything on its own if they want.  I will be angling for BeIn Sports this year to get the spanish soccer league available for me and my son to watch
Hmmmm. Maybe I'll keep trying. Only a month out tho, so I hope they cave in soon. Looks like Playstation Vue will have it. No official word on cot yet tho.

Link

You should be able to get them to offer the sports pack free for 3 months.  It will be interesting to see if you can get it for longer, I don't recall that happening before.

I just called and my contract ends September 3rd. 

Directv gave me 33 off per month for 6 (said call back in 6 months to see if can be extended) and 

50 off bill per month for 12 months for a total of 600, but must stay the whole 12 months until August next year. 

I am fine with that. I didn't see any reason to push for more. 

I called last week and got an initial offer of $50/month off and ST Max for $269 which I declined and set my disconnect for Sunday. Got the email and called back Friday and was told it had to actually disconnect before I could get any better offers and they would call me on Sunday. No one called so I caved and called today even though I didn't want to give up any leverage I might have. Ended up getting $55/mo. off for a year, free ST Max and a $200 gift card. 12 month commitment. I'll take it!

I have about 4 mths left on a contract and my discounts ran out last month.  Reading through this thread I see two different approaches - but just to clarify, when you call to cancel, do you have to wait for the disconnection - or can the re-up be done prior to disconnection?

I have about 4 mths left on a contract and my discounts ran out last month.  Reading through this thread I see two different approaches - but just to clarify, when you call to cancel, do you have to wait for the disconnection - or can the re-up be done prior to disconnection?
Seems like it varies. What I have pieced together from this thread l is that you can cancel, accept the early termination fee, and if you sign back up you don't have to pay the fee. 

Users who are viewing this thread