What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (14 Viewers)

While I agree that the league should have disciplined Brown for allegedly threatening his boss with violence and calling him a minor slur, but you have to understand the difference between a white man calling a black man the n-word (which is the most offensive word you can call a black man) and a black man calling a white man a cracker, right? 
Arguing degrees of severity is splitting hairs, and a bit of a red herring. No one will argue that one isn’t worse than the other. Obviously it is. 

But slur is a slur & regardless of the severity of the slur it’s still conduct unbecoming & league discipline should be enforced. Especially when coupled with having to be held back while threatening a GM.

Not enforcing that with a 4-6 game suspension sets a very dangerous precedent. 

People are on yo the game. Brown wanted to go to NE from the get go. Pitt would never trade him there. He let them trade him wherever and started acting super crazy. Like completely mental. To the point that they would have no recourse but to release him. Why else does he have a deal ready to sign within hours of his release. 
The NFL is completely without accountability.

Some of you guys are taking this WAAAY too seriously. A lot of heads hanging and moral compasses firing off. AB is a clown and now he’s on the Patriots. The only thing I care about is how this affects the fantasy landscape not all of this melodrama. I mean I get it, it’s gonna get discussed, but some need to take a step back and realize how they’re acting and where their priorities are. 

The Patriots are actually the last place I wanted him to go because now there’s gonna be an entire conspiracy subplot that people will mention like they did deflate gate. Boo hoo the Patriots are cheaters. Really wish he went somewhere else so we could do without that. 
Gets a little old, doesn't it?

People are on yo the game. Brown wanted to go to NE from the get go. Pitt would never trade him there. He let them trade him wherever and started acting super crazy. Like completely mental. To the point that they would have no recourse but to release him. Why else does he have a deal ready to sign within hours of his release. 

https://twitter.com/WillieM21/status/1170469222419488774?s=19
I think Antonio Brown decided afterwards that he didn’t want to be a Raider.  At first he was gung-ho, working out with David Carr right away, on their own time, then something changed his mind and he wanted out, not sure if it was only because of the fines or not.

Is it me or does the outrage over "cracker" seem a little forced?  I mean, it doesn't even get caught by the language filter.

Is it me or does the outrage over the "felony" (in liberal states only) seem a little forced?  And ironic because coming from the conservative perspective? (see cracker outrage)

I wouldn't be surprised if the two parties go their separate ways tomorrow sans contract.  If so, will today's ejaculation of outrage seem a little premature?

I think Antonio Brown decided afterwards that he didn’t want to be a Raider.  At first he was gung-ho, working out with David Carr right away, on their own time, then something changed his mind and he wanted out, not sure if it was only because of the fines or not.
I would guess it was chucky and Mayock.   Both should still be in tv, not running football teams,  especially Mayock.   I realize he was hired to be a puppet but still.  

The only thing that messes up the whole Antonio Brown getting intentionally released conspiracy theory is his heartful apology to the team on Friday. The bipolar or CTE theories make more sense to me. His desire to win a ring might keep him on the straight and narrow on the Patriots but we shall see.

While I agree that the league should have disciplined Brown for allegedly threatening his boss with violence and calling him a minor slur, but you have to understand the difference between a white man calling a black man the n-word (which is the most offensive word you can call a black man) and a black man calling a white man a cracker, right? 
Yeah, a black man makes a big deal out of it and a white guy doesn't give a #### what anyone calls him.

The only thing that messes up the whole Antonio Brown getting intentionally released conspiracy theory is his heartful apology to the team on Friday. The bipolar or CTE theories make more sense to me. His desire to win a ring might keep him on the straight and narrow on the Patriots but we shall see.
How about if the Raiders just left it alone and did not void his guaranteed money? He would be playing Monday night.

That was Mayock and Davis's big FU to him and here we are. 

This whole conspiracy theory is as ridiculous as his behavior this summer.

He might get to play the Dolphins next week in Hard Rock Stadium, less than 2 miles from Norland High School, where he played football.

There could be a very large point spread in that game.

He might get to play the Dolphins next week in Hard Rock Stadium, less than 2 miles from Norland High School, where he played football.

There could be a very large point spread in that game.
Yes. They’ll most likely be one of the biggest road favorites in recent memory. 14.5? 

Last edited by a moderator:
No, because it's about intent, not a list of racial slurs ranked in pretend severity. If AB spat out the 'cracker' word with as much contempt and hatred as a white bigot would when dropping the n-word, then no, I don't have to understand the difference because there is none.

If you are into conspiracy theories theres a report out that apparently Tom Brady has been recruiting AB to the Pats for several weeks and AB was never pleased about going to the Raiders. Therefor the Pats tampered without really tampering and AB got himself intentionally released so he could go to NE. I know I know but crazier things have happened and I wouldn't put it past the Evil Empire either. 
link?

There's an un-biased New York Post article referencing Brady tweeting to AB in September 2018 that he was fun to watch, but other than that I'm not seeing any such "report".

No, because it's about intent, not a list of racial slurs ranked in pretend severity. If AB spat out the 'cracker' word with as much contempt and hatred as a white bigot would when dropping the n-word, then no, I don't have to understand the difference because there is none.
Of course there is.  Cracker simply does not carry the same weight.  At least in the non-millenial brain.

He's a little baby who threw a hissy fit.  We're supposed to believe that Mike Mayock's psyche is damaged because he got called a cracker?  Does he deserve reparations?

Totally forced. People saying he should be suspended for that are “cracking” me up honestly.  Totally reaching for something to complain about.  
:goodposting:  

What's the point of engaging people with that mentality?
I thought about attempting to make a post containing a rational and reasoned explanation of why certain words carry more impact than other words......but then I remembered the quote from the famous speech in "Cool Hand Luke": "Some men, you just can't reach."

Arguing degrees of severity is splitting hairs, and a bit of a red herring. No one will argue that one isn’t worse than the other. Obviously it is. 

But slur is a slur & regardless of the severity of the slur it’s still conduct unbecoming & league discipline should be enforced. Especially when coupled with having to be held back while threatening a GM.

Not enforcing that with a 4-6 game suspension sets a very dangerous precedent. 
no white person gives a #### about being called a cracker.  

Is it me or does the outrage over "cracker" seem a little forced?  I mean, it doesn't even get caught by the language filter.

Is it me or does the outrage over the "felony" (in liberal states only) seem a little forced?  And ironic because coming from the conservative perspective? (see cracker outrage)

I wouldn't be surprised if the two parties go their separate ways tomorrow sans contract.  If so, will today's ejaculation of outrage seem a little premature?
Of course it’s forced. Old white people love nothing more than to pretend like they face the same historical issues as a minority class. It’s hilarious to see the wailing in here. Somebody get these people a fainting sofa. 

Is it me or does the outrage over "cracker" seem a little forced? 
This is a false premise. 

There is no outrage over “cracker”.

There are rules in the league about conduct unbecoming. Using any slur, threatening violence, drugs, assault, etc, etc - they’re in the rules.

the rules don’t say “if a white person calls a POC X, Y or Z, this will happen” or “if a POC calls a white person X, Y or Z, that will happen”

Antonio Brown spent the better part of the last month acting like a maniac, escalating to the last week of insanity, where he both threatened and used a slur against a GM.

and it doesn’t matter in the slightest wht color anyone was or what the specific slur was.

it merits a suspension because it’s the very definition of “conduct unbecoming”.

I would think this obvious enough as to make explanation unnecessary, yet here we are.  :shrug:

Of course there is.  Cracker simply does not carry the same weight.  At least in the non-millenial brain.

He's a little baby who threw a hissy fit.  We're supposed to believe that Mike Mayock's psyche is damaged because he got called a cracker?  Does he deserve reparations?
Apples and oranges.  What Mayock, or you or I, think of being called a cracker is irrelevant.  The weight of the word is in the intended insult.  If AB was being as racially demeaning as he knew how, and cracker is the word he came up with up, he demonstrated the same weight of contempt and hatred as the white bigot dropping the n-word.  This part of AB's clown show isn't about ranking racial slurs in order of severity.

I don't have a hard time believing the Patriots would be ready for this contingency and be prepared to act quickly.  

I would be very surprised if this were all an act.  Personally, I think Brown is loco and can't stay quiet for long.

Apparently, talent comes with a long rope.  What comes next will be fascinating.  Brown could be a good soldier or unemployed again very soon.   Is it possible to have more volatility than Brown and Gordon?   Does AB's persona have a positive or negative effect on Gordon?   If AB is still AB and can focus on the game (two major uncertainties), New England is going to be tough to beat.

Not with the severe CTE he probably suffers and bad Feet. He's even said himself he still can't move certain ways with his feet. 
Well you can't fault him for the limitations of human anatomy. If he were a monkey his feet would be able to move differently, but his receiving skills would likely suffer

This is a false premise. 

There is no outrage over “cracker”.

There are rules in the league about conduct unbecoming. Using any slur, threatening violence, drugs, assault, etc, etc - they’re in the rules.

the rules don’t say “if a white person calls a POC X, Y or Z, this will happen” or “if a POC calls a white person X, Y or Z, that will happen”

Antonio Brown spent the better part of the last month acting like a maniac, escalating to the last week of insanity, where he both threatened and used a slur against a GM.

and it doesn’t matter in the slightest wht color anyone was or what the specific slur was.

it merits a suspension because it’s the very definition of “conduct unbecoming”.

I would think this obvious enough as to make explanation unnecessary, yet here we are.  :shrug:
Do we even know if he actually said that? Or threatened him? I know AB denied it and I’ve never heard Mayock actually confirm it (unless I missed it).  Sounded like they were ready to play him Monday and move on until he outright asked to be cut? 

Do we even know if he actually said that? Or threatened him? I know AB denied it and I’ve never heard Mayock actually confirm it (unless I missed it).  Sounded like they were ready to play him Monday and move on until he outright asked to be cut? 
 Reportedly there were many witnesses to the incident.  I have not heard that the incident was in dispute. 

Where did you hear that Antonio Brown denied it? 

Couldn't be more wrong about this.  You obviously don't know what this is a reference of.
if i ever meet someone who is offended by being called a cracker i will just laugh at them.  i doubt that ever happens though since nobody is offended by it.

Reportedly there were many witnesses to the incident.  I have not heard that the incident was in dispute. 

12:31 PM PT -- Antonio Brown says he did NOT hurl a racial slur at Raiders GM Mike Mayock -- telling ESPN's Dianna Russini, "Everything has been blown out of proportion."

Russini says Brown is adamant he would never use racist language -- and strongly denies ANY sort of "scuffle" with Mayock.

"Antonio Brown told me there was never a scuffle at practice. He said he did not use the word 'cracker' and would never use that word...Everything has been blown out of proportion," Russini reports.

Instead, Brown describes the situation with Mayock this way -- "I spoke with Mike Mayock 1-on-1, man-to-man."

all those reports are just espn saying the have a unreported source. I have yet to hear of one actual witness anyways.  Just saying it would be impossible to suspend someone for he said she said stuff.  Video or tape, I would be more likely to agree with you. 

Yeah, a black man makes a big deal out of it and a white guy doesn't give a #### what anyone calls him.
You should be banned for a comment like this. Showing a little too much of yourself with this one. 

Edit: Unless I'm misinterpreting what you're saying here. In which case, my bad. But what you're saying seems like trivializing. 

Last edited by a moderator:
That's really the semantics now. Whether he wanted out before or after. Either way, the deal with NE was done months ago.

Totally forced. People saying he should be suspended for that are “cracking” me up honestly.  Totally reaching for something to complain about.  
So f-ing dramatic, I swear. Some people fall on one side of this whole thing and any little piece that fits their plight and they’re screaming at the top of their lungs it’s the worst thing they’ve ever seen or heard (“cracker”). 

ya, white people have a long history of being subjected to oppression and slavery.  😂
What are you talking about?  Your ignorance on the subject matter is on full display.  I'll hit you with a little knowledge and then will no longer hijack the thread.  The term "Cracker" is in reference to someone who cracks the whip, like a slave owner/trader.  In other words, you means you're an oppressor and a racist POS.  While it might not bother you, I would definitely take offense to someone calling me a "Cracker."  I wouldn't want to fight someone over it, but it would definitely show that the person calling me that has no idea who I am as a person and is a complete and total idiot.  

ya, white people have a long history of being subjected to oppression and slavery.  😂
What are you talking about?  Your ignorance on the subject matter is on full display.  I'll hit you with a little knowledge and then will no longer hijack the thread.  The term "Cracker" is in reference to someone who cracks the whip, like a slave owner/trader.  In other words, you means you're an oppressor and a racist POS.  While it might not bother you, I would definitely take offense to someone calling me a "Cracker."  I wouldn't want to fight someone over it, but it would definitely show that the person calling me that has no idea who I am as a person and is a complete and total idiot.  
For a guy who calls other people ignorant, it's quite ironic that you botched the origins of the word "cracker".

It had nothing to do with oppression or race -- not originally, at least.

Originally, a "craker" or "crake" was a person who was cocky and arrogant (but also uneducated and ill-mannered). By the 1700s, the word was being used to describe certain settlers in the south -- not because they were oppressive slaveholders, but because they were poor, dumb, and obnoxious.

Later on, the term was also used to describe people who cracked a whip.......but it still wasn't a reference to slavery. It was actually a reference to the fact that these people were often so poor that the only job they could get was a cattle driver or some other menial task involving beasts of burden.

So, the word is certainly an insult, but unlike the n-word it does not have racist origins.

• Thanks
Reactions: -X-
Maybe Burfict should hit him again to see if it reverses the issue.  I'd like to see that.
The Flintstones had an episode like this where Fred got hit on the head and became a Kelsey Grammar cheer character and then a mob of former friends chased him into his house and Barney hit on the head again and he became the old boorish working class Fred. 

This might work....

Users who are viewing this thread