What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Antonio Brown, FA (13 Viewers)

Fantasy Sharks is and always has been by FAR the worst fantasy site out there.  I really hope you don't use them often.

And ya, Brown is #2 there and DK Metcalf is #25.  It's just a garbage site.
Promoting A Brown in a trade. Allen and A Brown for Mahomes. Otherwise, I'll plug in AB into the Flex or WR #3 slot next week. Hoping for top 15 WR ROS.

Bucs coach Bruce Arians said WR Antonio Brown will be "ready to go" for Week 9 against the Saints.

Arians adds that Brown "looks fantastic" and is already participating in meetings and strength work. The Bucs are considered one of the top teams in the NFL through seven weeks of the season, but adding a volatile ingredient like Brown to a currently well-designed recipe will either hurt the final product or act as the missing piece, helping it reach its best form. Chris Godwin has been ruled out for Week 8 with a broken finger, so if his Week 9 status is in doubt Brown could be instantly in line for a significant role.

SOURCE: Greg Auman on Twitter

Oct 28, 2020, 6:51 PM ET

I'm glad Antonio has finally gotten the babysitter he's always needed.  He's 32, but it's never too late to get someone who can supervise you like you were 8.

I'm glad Antonio has finally gotten the babysitter he's always needed.  He's 32, but it's never too late to get someone who can supervise you like you were 8.
It's doubtful that Brown (or anyone outside of NE) has ever been around someone as disciplined and intentional as Brady on and off the football field. If AB can't make it with Brady breathing down his neck, he is done for sure. It does make me wonder what his life was like growing up. Did he have anyone telling him NO, teaching him to be disciplined, etc.? Or was he just given a pass because he was just so good?

It's doubtful that Brown (or anyone outside of NE) has ever been around someone as disciplined and intentional as Brady on and off the football field. If AB can't make it with Brady breathing down his neck, he is done for sure. It does make me wonder what his life was like growing up. Did he have anyone telling him NO, teaching him to be disciplined, etc.? Or was he just given a pass because he was just so good?
My hypothetical guess is he grew an ego. He came into the league as a 6th round pick. Didn't start the 1st 2 years on Pittsburg but soon became a star so he probably started humble. He than went on a crazy run which had a hall of fame projection. He was the unquestioned best WR in the league for a while, got a madden cover, and got paid a TON. All of this just built his ego up. Wouldn't be surprised if close friends/family helped build it up as well.

this is just my best guess as I don't see a 6th rounder coming into the league as a rookie with the antics he is now showing and actually staying in the league past a few years.

My hypothetical guess is he grew an ego. He came into the league as a 6th round pick. Didn't start the 1st 2 years on Pittsburg but soon became a star so he probably started humble. He than went on a crazy run which had a hall of fame projection. He was the unquestioned best WR in the league for a while, got a madden cover, and got paid a TON. All of this just built his ego up. Wouldn't be surprised if close friends/family helped build it up as well.

this is just my best guess as I don't see a 6th rounder coming into the league as a rookie with the antics he is now showing and actually staying in the league past a few years.
A good point. I picked him up in my dynasty football league when another owner gave up on him. He proceeded to BLOW UP the next week or so and we had a great run. I had somewhat forgotten about his more humble beginnings.

At some point these "chip on their shoulder" guys need to reset and refocus in order to sustain their success. It sounds pretty stupid when someone with a big contract, a Madden cover, monster stats and who is pretty universally thought of as "the best" is still angry about how disrespected they are and how no one believes in them etc.

At some point these "chip on their shoulder" guys need to reset and refocus in order to sustain their success. It sounds pretty stupid when someone with a big contract, a Madden cover, monster stats and who is pretty universally thought of as "the best" is still angry about how disrespected they are and how no one believes in them etc.
Steve Smith carried that with him his whole career. Only now, in retirement, does he seem pretty chill.

I recall reading that Brown had an awful childhood, poor, and possibly homeless at one point as a teenager.  I believe he had a father figure assistant coach from CMU that had stayed involved with him until he passed away in 2018 I think, which kinda coincided with him going off the deep end.  I believe he arrived at CMU with all of his possessions in a single bag, flat broke, and on his last chance, and that guy took him under his wing.  Again, this is all from memory, but I believe Brown has had a troubled life going back a long time.

This is not to excuse anything he has done, he's been an absolute ******* of late, and should be held accountable.  Just adding what I recall reading to give some context to his behavior.

I recall reading that Brown had an awful childhood, poor, and possibly homeless at one point as a teenager.  I believe he had a father figure assistant coach from CMU that had stayed involved with him until he passed away in 2018 I think, which kinda coincided with him going off the deep end.  I believe he arrived at CMU with all of his possessions in a single bag, flat broke, and on his last chance, and that guy took him under his wing.  Again, this is all from memory, but I believe Brown has had a troubled life going back a long time.

This is not to excuse anything he has done, he's been an absolute ******* of late, and should be held accountable.  Just adding what I recall reading to give some context to his behavior.
Thanks, Mene. Our formative years are so very important, and when things are shattered in us as kids and we never take the time to get them mended through counseling, they are very likely to continue to drive us. I agree that Brown has been a fool of late and that he should be held accountable for his sake and for the sake of others. But my heart does go out to him on a deeper level, even at age 32, he very likely needs the stability and mentor ship Brady can offer. It might sound dumb, but perhaps Brady really does see this as a chance to invest in AB's life even beyond the contribution AB could make on a field. I say good on Tom for making this investment in his friend. I sure hope the story has a happy ending................and quite a few long bombs for TD's, because my WR's have been a wreck. haha

Interesting page, fellas.

I think Brown balls out and his, Evans's, and Godwin's fantasy values all take hits because of each other. I don't see Tampa Bay running an extra twelve plays per game to make everybody happy. It's really a fixed pie constrained by time, unless they go to a fast break, no huddle type of deal.

It's like when a kid keeps asking for a dog and finally wears down the parents  "Okay, but only if you promise to do all of the work to take care of him".
And we know how that always winds up in good families. Parents fall in love with dog, kid does no work regarding said pet, but said pet is still special and his.

I don't understand why Brady is putting all this investment and time into AB.

He doesn't need AB to win another superbowl.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got into little twitter back and forth  last year with both a current NFL scout and an ex-NFL scout regarding AB. Both of them said the reason AB fell in the draft was character concerns. Certainly he did not act like he did at the end with Pittsburgh or his time in Oakland but if they are to be believed he's always had some issues.

One of those scouts, the still current one, said that AB has bi-polar, that the entire league knows about it because it was disclosed in the lead up to his draft.

I don't understand why Brady is putting all this investment and time into AB.

Probably same reason(s) Wilson wanted him despite having two really good WR's and the Packers tried to sign him as well.  Simple as understanding when you got a chance to add arguably the best WR of his generation that it's worth a shot if you think you can get him to buy in.

And due to Brady's time and investment he got him, while two of his conference foes did not.

TB offense looks terrible. Sure looks like Tom could use AB tonight. Assuming Godwin is still out, 10 plus targets incoming for Mr Big Chest in primetime next week. 

Watching this game tonight TB should be up by at least two TDs.  Offense looks flat. Don’t get me wrong Evans and Gronk look good in spurts.  AB might provide that boost they need.

Watching this game tonight TB should be up by at least two TDs.  Offense looks flat. Don’t get me wrong Evans and Gronk look good in spurts.  AB might provide that boost they need.
It was my fault - I picked them in the Offense/Defense contest.

The announcers and a sideline reporter were speaking last night about how the league could still come down with more punishment if facts from the case point to a reason to do so. While he looks ready to play, it doesn’t seem he’s completely out of the woods on being allowed, or possibly ending his season early.

The announcers and a sideline reporter were speaking last night about how the league could still come down with more punishment if facts from the case point to a reason to do so. While he looks ready to play, it doesn’t seem he’s completely out of the woods on being allowed, or possibly ending his season early.
I don’t see the Shield letting its marquee faces (Wilson, Brady, etc) day so publicly fawn over this guy and go to bat so publicly for him if there was still danger of the ban hammer coming down as a result of that case. They already know what they are possibly looking at there. At the end of the day, like it or not, AB on a visible playoff bound team is good for ratings and business. I don’t see Goodell getting in the way of that. 

I don’t see the Shield letting its marquee faces (Wilson, Brady, etc) day so publicly fawn over this guy and go to bat so publicly for him if there was still danger of the ban hammer coming down as a result of that case. They already know what they are possibly looking at there. At the end of the day, like it or not, AB on a visible playoff bound team is good for ratings and business. I don’t see Goodell getting in the way of that. 
I would agree. Just came up in the game last night.

The announcers are correct that he could in fact face more punishment later.

The misconception I keep seeing that  seems to still exist is that his suspension was not related in any way to his sexual assault case. The NFL investigated that case before handing down his suspension, the results of their initial investigation were part of that suspension. What the league is simply saying is if "new" items they did not uncover in their investigation come to light they might suspend him longer but people keep reporting like that investigation/case was not factored in his suspension.

He can of course do what he's almost done a few times and make it all go away if he settles. I certainly understand why he does not want to do that but he'd better be sure he knows what information will come out.

I am not and would not be entirely dismissive this won't be an issue later because if he allows this go to trial and new damaging info comes out he won't see week 15.

The announcers are correct that he could in fact face more punishment later.

The misconception I keep seeing that  seems to still exist is that his suspension was not related in any way to his sexual assault case. The NFL investigated that case before handing down his suspension, the results of their initial investigation were part of that suspension. What the league is simply saying is if "new" items they did not uncover in their investigation come to light they might suspend him longer but people keep reporting like that investigation/case was not factored in his suspension.

He can of course do what he's almost done a few times and make it all go away if he settles. I certainly understand why he does not want to do that but he'd better be sure he knows what information will come out.

I am not and would not be entirely dismissive this won't be an issue later because if he allows this go to trial and new damaging info comes out he won't see week 15.
I would be shocked if this case ever gets near a courtroom. I thought it would be settled already at this point. It’s only going to get more expensive from here on out. 

Speaking Tuesday, coach Bruce Arians was coy when asked how many snaps Antonio Brown might see in his Bucs debut. 

"It could be 10 plays, it could be 35 plays," Arians said, unhelpfully. Per the Tampa Bay Times, the Bucs will "set up a package for him and see how much success they have with him on the field." No one should be surprised if Brown's snap total blows by 35 if he's in shape and hits the ground running. Brown still can't be regarded as anything more than a low-floor WR4 for Week 9 in fantasy. 

SOURCE: Greg Auman on Twitter 

Nov 3, 2020, 2:28 PM ET

Faust said:
not surprised at all by this. his mental state aside, the dude is a workhorse with his physical conditioning. he's gonna feast until some non-football issue stops him again. i think the court date is first week of december, so enjoy till then and hopefully nothing comes out of that. not just for football because if more comes out that means he was a worse human being that what we already heard. i don't own AB anywhere, but as a football fan i hope he can stick for at least the rest of the year and beyond.

Johnny Utah #9 said:
I would be shocked if this case ever gets near a courtroom. I thought it would be settled already at this point. It’s only going to get more expensive from here on out. 
This would be the Catch 22 between AB and the Bucs.

Bucs: We don't want to sign you if you have legal problems.

AB: That's why I need you to sign me - so I'll have the money to get rid of my legal problems...

Wasn't certain if you were talking about AB or TB.

I see FBG's cautiously waiting for game 1 and cautiously optimistic for the ROS after this particular game.

What's the difference between week 9 and the rest of the weeks I ask? What does he need to get comfortable?

I gotta believe AB sees at least 6-10 targets every week and 5-8 catches every week. That would put him with a 60-75 yard floor without counting TD's.

The cheat sheets tell to sit him this week, yet my mind says play him over the likes of Jefferson, Claypool, D Johnson, even Swift, Moss, and Gibson in the Flex.

I gotta play him, right. As I have already put him in and out of my starting lineup in two leagues at least 6 times so far LOL. 

Source: The Athletic - Greg Auman

Tampa Bay Buccaneers WR Antonio Brown will have an offensive package worked into the game plan for him in Week 9 against the New Orleans Saints, but head coach Bruce Arians suggested Brown's involvement could be as little as 10 plays.

[ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ [ FOOTBALLGUYS VIEW ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ] ]

The Buccaneers are reportedly going to have a package of plays for Brown. His success within that package will determine his playing time in Week 9. Fantasy GMs should look at Brown as a WR4/deep flex play.

**** well, maybe not this week ****

This feels like the L. Bell situation the week he joined KC.

That didn't work out well.

Not saying it's exactly the same, but just like with Bell, nobody really knows what the hell is going to happen.

Users who are viewing this thread