What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looks like Drifter is moving to Seattle! (1 Viewer)

Drifter

Footballguy
Details are still being worked out but it is very likely that I will be accepting an offer in Seattle in the next couple of days.

I will likely be staying in temporary housing for anywhere between 30-90 days at which time I will be looking to rent a house and bring out my wife, 2 year old, newborn and two dogs :goodposting:

I'm not concerned about schools at this point as I will likely buy before the kids are ready for that. Safety, price and convenience are probably the biggest factors to start.

I will be working very close to the International station on the light rail at least for a while so would not be opposed to something that would allow me to commute on the light rail easily but that's not a must by any means.

Also, if you live in Seattle, please name the price of your friendship as I will need golf and football watching buddies (any casual bowlers?)

Nice...love seattle. You are going to love it there as long as you don't desperately need the sun

Nice...love seattle. You are going to love it there as long as you don't desperately need the sun
That will be tough as I've lived in Colorado for over 20 years but I have a much greater affinity and affection for the sea than I do the mountains so I'm excited about that.

That will be tough as I've lived in Colorado for over 20 years but I have a much greater affinity and affection for the sea than I do the mountains so I'm excited about that.
Ditkaless Wonders says he will be sorry to see you leave Colorado. He didn't know you bowled.

Ditkaless Wonders says he will be sorry to see you leave Colorado. He didn't know you bowled.
Every Thursday - beer and pizza handicap league. Nothing serious.Sorry to be leaving as well but both the wife and I are excited for a little shake up.

Congrats. Been to Seattle once, great pro football stadium and fans, great little town with some very nice suburbs around. Seems like a lot of quality FBGs live up there.

Before Otis there was Drifter. Once Drifter settled down it created a vacuum that Otis filled, sort of. Now Otis can anticipate traveling the same path that Drifter blazes, OTIS, this is you in four years. Moving to the burbs, considering housing for its availability to schools, the whole 9 yards. Fortunately this is a good path.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm 35-45 minutes south of Seattle, but am up there quite a bit for work.

My friendship can be bought with bourbon, and unless you want to play golf with someone who's actually good, I'm usually available.

Buy a boat. You'll have more friends than you know what to do with.

I'm 35-45 minutes south of Seattle, but am up there quite a bit for work. My friendship can be bought with bourbon, and unless you want to play golf with someone who's actually good, I'm usually available. Buy a boat. You'll have more friends than you know what to do with.
Plenty of Bourbon in the bar and I do not play golf well. I will probably play much less well with trees involved.A boat is definitely in my future down the road. The only question is if I'll go sailboat or motor.

I'm 35-45 minutes south of Seattle, but am up there quite a bit for work. My friendship can be bought with bourbon, and unless you want to play golf with someone who's actually good, I'm usually available. Buy a boat. You'll have more friends than you know what to do with.
Plenty of Bourbon in the bar and I do not play golf well. I will probably play much less well with trees involved.A boat is definitely in my future down the road. The only question is if I'll go sailboat or motor.
The fishing here is pretty good if you're into that. I just got back from a salmon trip that was a lot of fun. Hitting it again, and closer, in two weeks.

The fishing here is pretty good if you're into that. I just got back from a salmon trip that was a lot of fun. Hitting it again, and closer, in two weeks.
I like to throw a line out and drink some beers if that counts. I envision a future where I own a boat and can take it out fishing and camping in the San Juans. Is such a thing realistic?

I like to throw a line out and drink some beers if that counts. I envision a future where I own a boat and can take it out fishing and camping in the San Juans. Is such a thing realistic?
absolutely. we just fished the Straits of Juan de Fuca, and it couldn't have been easier. the San Juans are a pretty easy run from Anacortes, so even if you have a smallish boat it's totally doable. I'm currently boatless, but once my divorce is done I'm looking at a 23' cuddy for overnight trips and fishing.

absolutely. we just fished the Straits of Juan de Fuca, and it couldn't have been easier. the San Juans are a pretty easy run from Anacortes, so even if you have a smallish boat it's totally doable. I'm currently boatless, but once my divorce is done I'm looking at a 23' cuddy for overnight trips and fishing.
Sweet.I probably need to find a place to live first.

Welcome to Seattle! Unfortunately, it's going to rain for the next six months, but it's still a great place to live.

The light rail is a nice option, especially if you're not worried about schools for the kids. The Columbia City neighborhood might be a good place to look for housing if you want a fun urban environment near the rail, and there's an off leash area for the dogs in Genesee Park. The streets in the area can vary from great to sketchy within a few blocks, so take a good look around before you settle in.

Welcome to Seattle! Unfortunately, it's going to rain for the next six months, but it's still a great place to live. The light rail is a nice option, especially if you're not worried about schools for the kids. The Columbia City neighborhood might be a good place to look for housing if you want a fun urban environment near the rail, and there's an off leash area for the dogs in Genesee Park. The streets in the area can vary from great to sketchy within a few blocks, so take a good look around before you settle in.
Commuting to the light rail is also an option as opposed to being right by the station. What can one expect to pay to rent like a 3-4/2-3 bath place?Off leash parks are for people with good dogs. My girl has always been dominant but as she gets up there in age, the dominance has creeped towards aggresive because she's trying harder to maintain alpha status. I'm not comfortable with her off leash around strange dogs any more.

The cluster of communities northish of downtown seem to be where a ton of families are - Queen Anne, Ballard, Green Lake, Magnolia. Safe, lots of parks, can walk to a lot of things...

They are not cheap to live in though.

Good luck. I lived there for a stretch of 10 years. It's a fun and beautiful city even though the people are generally all wound up about one thing or another. I don't miss that.

The cluster of communities northish of downtown seem to be where a ton of families are - Queen Anne, Ballard, Green Lake, Magnolia. Safe, lots of parks, can walk to a lot of things...

Good luck. I lived there for a stretch of 10 years. It's a fun and beautiful city even though the people are generally all wound up about one thing or another. I don't miss that.
:popcorn: never thought about it this way, but pretty true of my clients.

:blackdot: never thought about it this way, but pretty true of my clients.
When I was there last week there was a guy calling in on the radio who seemed inordinately up in arms about some tunnel that's being built or something.

Congrats. Been to Seattle once, great pro football stadium and fans, great little town with some very nice suburbs around. Seems like a lot of quality FBGs live up there.
little? :blackdot:
I'm from Los Angeles. The Seattle metro area seemed relatively small to me - which was a refreshing contrast. If you consider the suburbs and other outlying areas, it's a big place though.
Well, compared to LA, yes, I'd agree it's 'little'. But compare it to a place like Portland, and it's a different story.

I'm 35-45 minutes south of Seattle, but am up there quite a bit for work.

My friendship can be bought with bourbon, and unless you want to play golf with someone who's actually good, I'm usually available.

Buy a boat. You'll have more friends than you know what to do with.
Plenty of Bourbon in the bar and I do not play golf well. I will probably play much less well with trees involved.

A boat is definitely in my future down the road. The only question is if I'll go sailboat or motor.
Oh, hello Rover friend! I'd drive up for a little FBG fishing trip. That'd be a lot of fun.

little? :thumbdown:
I'm from Los Angeles. The Seattle metro area seemed relatively small to me - which was a refreshing contrast. If you consider the suburbs and other outlying areas, it's a big place though.
Well, compared to LA, yes, I'd agree it's 'little'. But compare it to a place like Portland, and it's a different story.
I'd say Seattle feels a little bigger than Denver. I think in terms of total metro they are pretty equal but Denver sprawls like no one's business so Seattle proper feels like a bigger city.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, if you live in Seattle, please name the price of your friendship as I will need golf and football watching buddies (any casual bowlers?)
pretty sure Brit's friendship can be bought for 8oz of rumpsteak nowadays...

little? :thumbdown:
I'd say Seattle feels a little bigger than Seattle. I think in terms of total metro they are pretty equal but Denver sprawls like no one's business so Seattle proper feels like a bigger city.
I remember driving through Denver on my way up to Portland. It didn't feel very big and I was struck by how much nothingness is around it. Mountains to the west, what looks like endless plains to the east and nothing both south and north. Course, that was 15 years ago and I was driving a glorious 80-85MPH on my way up.I dunno....I've made the drive to Seattle from Portland probably 30-40 times. Once you hit Olympia, it's a slow, creeping, crawling, congested road to and through Seattle and it doesn't clear up until you are north of Everett. You aren't going to be able to zip through it unless it's 2am.

Drifter said:
Britney Spears said:
Steak and beer?Mrs. Brit probably would like to meet you also.
Of course. My wife is also looking for other pill popping, wine swilling mothers who she can complain to about me.
:clap: Welcome Drifter, nice to have another 3 digiter in the Seattle area.Mrs. Clean can drink the wine like it's her job, sounds like she might be a good BFF for Mrs Drifter too! I live about 30 minutes north of the city. Send a PM if you want info about the area, housing, schools, etc....

I moved to Kirkland from LA 5 years ago, what you'll quickly learn its not so much the rain, its the lack of sun that gets to you. Despite that, Seattle is a great place to live.

I moved to Kirkland from LA 5 years ago, what you'll quickly learn its not so much the rain, its the lack of sun that gets to you. Despite that, Seattle is a great place to live.
Being from San Diego, I quickly learned the necessity of taking vacations to see the sun. This is essential.Beware of people that paint their houses bright orange or yellow. They've been deprived of sun too long and went nuts.

I stayed at a buddy's in Kirkland last weekend for the game (also up from LA) and absolutely loved it and wanted to move asap.Every time I go up there i get 2/3 sunshine (though bitter cold to my SoCal body in the winter). Planning on spending New Years and Rams game up there so you guys can thank me for the sun I bring then.

This is a list of neighborhoods from the sister of a good friend of my wife.

Ballard-walkable to restaurants and shops, very family friendly, close to downtown.

Magnolia-More expensive, quieter, closer to downtown and the Puget Sound, very family friendly

Central District-Can find newer developments, very close to downtown, is sort of the hood but is up and coming.

Madison Park-Very family friendly, close to downtown, shops and water, very expensive.

Shoreline/ North Seattle-Outside of downtown 10/20 minutes. Reasonable prices, able to find newer houses.

Edmonds- Small and quint, near Puget sound, very family friendly, can be expensive, can find newer developments. 20 minutes away from downtown

From FBG suggestions so far:

Columbia City - Urban feel, along light rail, gentrification

On the above ones, what part of town are they and any additional feedback? This girl wasn't very descriptive except for Shoreline.

Also, when she says 20 minutes downtown how does that translate to commute/rush hour minutes? Double?

Steak and beer?

Mrs. Brit probably would like to meet you also.
Jax and Brit are good people. They come highly recommended. Be wary of guys that bring laptops to NBA games.The rain thing here is a bit of a misnomer. How can it rain all the time, but nobody uses an umbrella? Its more like a constant misting or drizzle. Hardly ever rains hard here. You'll never have your windshield wipers set on anything but delay.

If you have kids I suggest checking out the EMP/SFM and The Crab Pot.

Same here. :goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread