What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Heading to Sedona tonight for the week. Any recommendations. (1 Viewer)

NutterButter

Footballguy
Going solo.  Lodging will be entirely within Sedona.  Sticking to mountain biking and hiking along with the normal sight seeing.  Have 3 days already covered for mountain biking.   Could probably fit some other light stuff in those days, but nothing too physically exerting.   That leaves me with 4 full days.  I hear there's a big hole in the ground up north so I'll be checking that out.  I see there's a couple of main trails that I'll probably hit and leverage the shuttle to move me between trailheads if necessary.    Thinking another day I'll rent a wrangler and hit some off road trails.   I know there's a bunch of hiking trails around Sedona so I'll be hitting the popular one's for sure.  I looked into doing a slot canyon tour, but seems a little too far out of the way to be worth the drive.   Any recommendations for stuff in the surrounding area for casual/takeout dining, outdoor activities or sight seeing?  TIA.  

The Sonoran desert is hard to gauge, but this is the time of year that it blooms on the years it does and it is one of the most beautiful things in creation. Ask those in the know when you get there and go out early if it is.

Look up ‘Pink Jeep’ tours — no, it’s not a euphism. Since you’re solo, they’ll likely stick you in with another small group. Thank me later! 
Seconded. One of the rare “touristy” thing that’s worth doing.

Chapel of the Holy Cross is cool even for godless heathens like myself.

If you want to make trips in addition to that big hole up north, Arcoaanti is about an hour south. Unique place - experimental urban living area. Worth checking out and won’t see anything like it anywhere else.

Look up ‘Pink Jeep’ tours — no, it’s not a euphism. Since you’re solo, they’ll likely stick you in with another small group. Thank me later! 
I was debating between a tour with them and just renting the wrangler for the day and just driving the same trails myself.    I think the idea is you start with the easier trails to get your feet wet and then increase in difficulty level as you get more comfortable.  Right now I'm leaning towards the rental but might reconsider.   I'll probably talk with the rental people to see what to expect. 

I was debating between a tour with them and just renting the wrangler for the day and just driving the same trails myself.    I think the idea is you start with the easier trails to get your feet wet and then increase in difficulty level as you get more comfortable.  Right now I'm leaning towards the rental but might reconsider.   I'll probably talk with the rental people to see what to expect. 

What could go wrong?

This is basically my backyard. I'm tied up at the moment but hit me up in private chat and I'll give you some ideas. I'm not a mountain biker and I get motion sick so I'm not the best source for those things but I've hiked most trails, eaten at most of the restaurants, regularly play the golf courses, hit the vineyards often, and stayed at a lot of the places. 

Of note, I'm not sure I'd recommend renting a jeep and just going at it yourself, but if you screw up and need good legal representation I know the best law office in the area. 🤣

FYI we just got hit with a bunch of snow. Roads should be fine but there's a decent chance there's still snow on the ground. I was in Prescott yesterday and drove up the I-17 with a clear view of Sedona and it was covered. 

Devil's Bridge was a really cool hike and the views were great.

My kids enjoyed Slide Rock State Park.
Yep. 

Also would recommend the West Fork Trail. Moderate difficulty and you will get wet, but it's awesomely situated halfway between Flag and Sedona and the mixture of the land is pretty great. 

For easy trails in a good location, it's hard to beat the Bell Rock and Courthouse Butte Loop as well as the Airport Loop Trail. 

When I have time I'll get you some restaurant recommendations. For now, as it's probably booked solid, immediately check availability for Elote. It's like last meal good. https://www.elotecafe.com/

Going solo.  Lodging will be entirely within Sedona.  Sticking to mountain biking and hiking along with the normal sight seeing.  Have 3 days already covered for mountain biking.   Could probably fit some other light stuff in those days, but nothing too physically exerting.   That leaves me with 4 full days.  I hear there's a big hole in the ground up north so I'll be checking that out.  I see there's a couple of main trails that I'll probably hit and leverage the shuttle to move me between trailheads if necessary.    Thinking another day I'll rent a wrangler and hit some off road trails.   I know there's a bunch of hiking trails around Sedona so I'll be hitting the popular one's for sure.  I looked into doing a slot canyon tour, but seems a little too far out of the way to be worth the drive.   Any recommendations for stuff in the surrounding area for casual/takeout dining, outdoor activities or sight seeing?  TIA.  
Sedona proper or the Village of Oak Creek? 

Anybody there with you?

This is basically my backyard. I'm tied up at the moment but hit me up in private chat and I'll give you some ideas. I'm not a mountain biker and I get motion sick so I'm not the best source for those things but I've hiked most trails, eaten at most of the restaurants, regularly play the golf courses, hit the vineyards often, and stayed at a lot of the places. 
Whoa whoa whoa Jimmy Lawyer.

The rest of us would also like to know where the good strip joints  restaurants are. 

Of note, I'm not sure I'd recommend renting a jeep and just going at it yourself, but if you screw up and need good legal representation I know the best law office in the area. 🤣

FYI we just got hit with a bunch of snow. Roads should be fine but there's a decent chance there's still snow on the ground. I was in Prescott yesterday and drove up the I-17 with a clear view of Sedona and it was covered. 
Yeah, I was originally scheduled to come out this week but saw the weather was terrible so bumped it to next week.   Not sure about the snow melt, but temperatures look fantastic after the weekend.  

Yeah, I was originally scheduled to come out this week but saw the weather was terrible so bumped it to next week.   Not sure about the snow melt, but temperatures look fantastic after the weekend.  
Good call. They should improve significantly by next week. 

I went to Sedona years ago before I got into mountain biking, but now it's totally on my bucket list.  Super jealous.  Which trails you planning on hitting?

In & out.   I didn't even know.   😍double double animal style.  Its been far too long.  

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile
Reactions: Zow
I went to Sedona years ago before I got into mountain biking, but now it's totally on my bucket list.  Super jealous.  Which trails you planning on hitting?
Not sure the exact trails.   I have the trailforks app which has everything well mapped.   Just gonna to ask the rental folks to point out which ones to hit up 1st.  There's some pretty crazy trails out here.   Nowhere near the exposure that we have in the northeast.   So I need to get adjusted before I start hitting the sketchier stuff.  

Yeah did those a while back.  Fantastic.  Love that area.  One of the favorite trips we have ever made.

NutterButter said:
Not sure the exact trails.   I have the trailforks app which has everything well mapped.   Just gonna to ask the rental folks to point out which ones to hit up 1st.  There's some pretty crazy trails out here.   Nowhere near the exposure that we have in the northeast.   So I need to get adjusted before I start hitting the sketchier stuff.  
It looks super technical out there. I just got back from a long day in Santa Cruz.

Pink jeep tour folks, which tour did you take.    Leaning towards the 3 hour tour which includes  broken arrow and the scenic rim, but wonder if i should just do something shorter.  I know its sacrilegious to even suggest that 3 hours driving around looking at these views is too much.  

And there's a dispensary within walking distance of my hotel so I couldn't resist.   They could really use an in and out up here though.  

Pink jeep tour folks, which tour did you take.    Leaning towards the 3 hour tour which includes  broken arrow and the scenic rim, but wonder if i should just do something shorter.  I know its sacrilegious to even suggest that 3 hours driving around looking at these views is too much.  

And there's a dispensary within walking distance of my hotel so I couldn't resist.   They could really use an in and out up here though.  
I did Broken Arrow. It’s okay, but you don’t see the good stuff imo. Also look up “riding the white line”. Crazy ####.

I went to Sedona in 1991. It was the first time I ever saw people walking around with guns on their hips.

I was advised to walk barefoot on the rocks and feel the "spirituality".

I remember lighting a candle in a triangular church built into the side of a mountain.

Ok, let's go play golf in Scottsdale!

I went to Sedona in 1991. It was the first time I ever saw people walking around with guns on their hips.

I was advised to walk barefoot on the rocks and feel the "spirituality".

I remember lighting a candle in a triangular church built into the side of a mountain.

Ok, let's go play golf in Scottsdale!
Did you experience the vortexes?  I am going to swing by that church.  

On those Pink Jeep tours, do you drive yourself while following a lead car?  Or is the tour guide in the jeep with you?

Don't do this nonsense. And stay away from the sweat lodges. 
🤣 I was just kidding.   I get my spiritual energy from hiking up these big rocks.    Did go to that church though.   Pretty cool cross with jc hanging inside.   

🤣 I was just kidding.   I get my spiritual energy from hiking up these big rocks.    Did go to that church though.   Pretty cool cross with jc hanging inside.   
Yep for sure. Even us heathens can appreciate that. 

There's actual a decent (easy to moderate) hiking trail with its trailhead right by where people park for the church. 

Zow said:
Yep for sure. Even us heathens can appreciate that. 

There's actual a decent (easy to moderate) hiking trail with its trailhead right by where people park for the church. 

Saw that one, but decided to stick with the more must do destinations.   I really enjoyed the climb up cathedral rock.   Slide rock was pretty cool as well.   Stopped by west fork but the person at the gate said it was really iced over and of course my crampons were back at the room.   

Saw that one, but decided to stick with the more must do destinations.   I really enjoyed the climb up cathedral rock.   Slide rock was pretty cool as well.   Stopped by west fork but the person at the gate said it was really iced over and of course my crampons were back at the room.   
Damn that’s too bad. Weather improved today but probably it’s a week or two for all the ice and snow to melt halfway up the hill. 

Damn that’s too bad. Weather improved today but probably it’s a week or two for all the ice and snow to melt halfway up the hill. 
The road from sedona to flagstaff would make for a gorgeous road bike ride.   Too many mountain bike trails to hit though.   Is this considered a busy time of the year?    Crowds haven't been bad at the hot spots.   Parking lots here are tiny other than slide rock but I've gotten lucky so far.   

What do you know about the grand canyon?   Plan on stopping at the store at 8am to rent my trekking poles, park at bright angel trail head, take the blue shuttle to visitor center, orange shuttle to South Kaibab trailhead, down south Kaibab, across Tonto and up bright angel.   Sound reasonable?

The road from sedona to flagstaff would make for a gorgeous road bike ride.   Too many mountain bike trails to hit though.   Is this considered a busy time of the year?    Crowds haven't been bad at the hot spots.   Parking lots here are tiny other than slide rock but I've gotten lucky so far.   

What do you know about the grand canyon?   Plan on stopping at the store at 8am to rent my trekking poles, park at bright angel trail head, take the blue shuttle to visitor center, orange shuttle to South Kaibab trailhead, down south Kaibab, across Tonto and up bright angel.   Sound reasonable?
As to the bold, it's getting there. In about a month it'll be slammed and stay busy as the weather heats up in the Valley. 

As to the grand canyon, I'm told it's some of the best hiking on the planet. I am familiar with the paths you mention and it seems reasonable to me. I would imagine whoever you rent the trekking poles from can confirm. I'll try to talk to somebody in my office as well who hikes the canyon regularly and get his thoughts. 

Came back for round 2. Was intending to head up to sedona (along with gc) for 10 days, but weather in sedona was terrible so decided to do first 5 days in Phoenix area. Turns out this area is pretty awesome as well. Some really great hiking.

Users who are viewing this thread