What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

HC Bill Belichick, (4 Viewers)

I noticed you're factoring in that Denver converted only four first downs in the entire second half, but not factoring in bunch of other things, including that NE's offense had never driven to that field position in the entire game before the first 4th down call. Again, it's impossible to accurately calculate it, but it isn't as cut and dried as you're implying IMO.
That's a consideration, but then it's Tom Brady. Even though the Patriots weren't moving the ball well you can't assume Brady won't be able to get a TD in the final 6 minutes. They were also playing Peyton who had a 5.1% INT rate on the season. I say kick the FG with 6 minutes left and trust your defense to stop Peyton and Brady to score a TD.

I noticed you're factoring in that Denver converted only four first downs in the entire second half, but not factoring in bunch of other things, including that NE's offense had never driven to that field position in the entire game before the first 4th down call. Again, it's impossible to accurately calculate it, but it isn't as cut and dried as you're implying IMO.
That's a consideration, but then it's Tom Brady. Even though the Patriots weren't moving the ball well you can't assume Brady won't be able to get a TD in the final 6 minutes. They were also playing Peyton who had a 5.1% INT rate on the season. I say kick the FG with 6 minutes left and trust your defense to stop Peyton and Brady to score a TD.
I have no problem with anyone saying they would have rather kicked the FG (in either situation). My point is just that you can't say "Kicking was clearly the correct call", and then throw out a bunch of percentages and think that proves anything. He factored in one consideration that helped his case, but ignored another that hurt it- that's not really being objective.

Case in point here- I'm not assuming that he won't be able to get a TD at all, but what were the odds? At one extreme you could argue that since he hadn't done so all game and was facing a great defense on the road that was beating him up all game they were very, very low. At the other you could argue he's one of the GOAT and they were "due" so the odds were pretty high. The true odds were somewhere in the middle of those two extremes, but there is a wide range of reasonable odds you could assign it.

I have no problem with anyone saying they would have rather kicked the FG (in either situation). My point is just that you can't say "Kicking was clearly the correct call", and then throw out a bunch of percentages and think that proves anything. He factored in one consideration that helped his case, but ignored another that hurt it- that's not really being objective.Case in point here- I'm not assuming that he won't be able to get a TD at all, but what were the odds? At one extreme you could argue that since he hadn't done so all game and was facing a great defense on the road that was beating him up all game they were very, very low. At the other you could argue he's one of the GOAT and they were "due" so the odds were pretty high. The true odds were somewhere in the middle of those two extremes, but there is a wide range of reasonable odds you could assign it.
I agree - if the Patriots convert on the 4th and 1 and score a TD it looks like a genius call.

I'll play Monday morning QB too... BB should have kicked 3 FGs instead of going for it three times on the last three posessions. I see a lot of arguing for kicking one FG then scoring a TD to end the game, but that was after a previous 4th down call to go for it earlier in the game. If BB had kicked the 1st FG and was down by 5 I guarantee he would have kicked the FG on the 2nd to last drive, putting them only down by 2, then it would have been a no brainer FG to end the game with the win on their last possession. Going for it when they might have kicked a FG earlier in the game is what forced them to then go for it the 2nd and 3rd time.

Really tho its the kicker's fault for putting them in that position to begin with.

Joe Torre... :lmao: :lmao:  

Despite not being a Patriots fan, I've come around to, well, maybe not liking Belichick, but not disliking him so much anymore.  His greatness is impossible to deny, and I get a kick out of the way he trolls the media. 

Q: But do you have to get some clarification on his injury status before making any personnel decisions and how do you balance those two things?

BB: I'm a football coach. I'm not a doctor. The medical staff is the medical staff. I coach the team; the medical people handle the injuries. They don't call plays; I don't do surgery. We've got a great deal there. It works out good.

Q: But do you have to get some clarification on his injury status before making any personnel decisions and how do you balance those two things?

BB: I'm a football coach. I'm not a doctor. The medical staff is the medical staff. I coach the team; the medical people handle the injuries. They don't call plays; I don't do surgery. We've got a great deal there. It works out good.
:lmao:

In life, I've found the insufferable twits who love to throw barbs and give off the "smartest person in the room" vibe are generally far from it. Most true geniuses go through life with a half- befuddled air, because they can't understand why even the supposedly brilliant people they surround themselves with can't grasp them. 

But once in a while, you get someone who's a genius, a sarcastic *******, and secure in their station, like my Fluid Dynamics professor in undergrad, or Bill Belichick. And my God, those folks are a joy to behold. 

Love Belichicks response anytime anyone asks him if he enjoys coaching...

----------------------

Nov 26, 2009

NFL Network's Michael Lombardi was in town this week for an interview with Patriots coach Bill Belichick, and NFL.com has a short snippet of the one-on-one that will air Sunday morning.

Lombardi asked Belichick how he still has the same passion for coaching at age 57.

"It sure beats working,"

Last edited by a moderator:
Great coach, but why does the NFL cut him special favors. Dallas Cowboys can't wear a helmet sticker for murdered police, league fines players for their socks and other uniform violations, players can't wear patriotic cleats. But Belichick cuts the sleeves off NFL apparel hoodies and looks like a bum and that is deemed OK.

Great coach, but why does the NFL cut him special favors. Dallas Cowboys can't wear a helmet sticker for murdered police, league fines players for their socks and other uniform violations, players can't wear patriotic cleats. But Belichick cuts the sleeves off NFL apparel hoodies and looks like a bum and that is deemed OK.
:lmao:   :lmao:   :lmao:

How he still amazes me is a feat in itself.  I can't believe they are 3-0 with no QB to speak of after beating a very good Arizona team and embarrassing a good Houston team.

He's just trying to raise awareness of the plight of the homeless in America.

I feel sorry for the rest of the country, because BB the football genius rarely shows up when the national media is around. His local radio interviews are literally must listen programming. 

Early in the season he got asked what it was like when they had to play TB12 back in 2001. He talked for half an hour about specific plays 15 years later and knew every detail. The down and distance, the time left in the game, who they were trying to scheme against, who was out with injuries, which refs were in the game and what they were calling. Not just the Pats players, but the guys on the other team, what they did to make adjustments off of disguised stunts and blitzes, etc. 

He went on to talk about Vinatieri and the snow game ( better known as the tuck rule game) and what he called the greatest kick in the history of the NFL. He knew the exact distance, the speed of the wind, which side of the stadium they were on and the realistic kicking range based on the wind. 

He also went on to say that someone got hurt in the game and they had to put in someone on special teams on the FG try that had not played on the FG squad. So on the fly they were trying to get the player the snap count, who he had to block, where the pressure was going to come from (based on players and based on which gap).

I could go on and on. He was a living, breathing database and wealth of information. I would take that BB over the we're on to Cincinnati any day of the week. His football knowledge could be measured in terrabytes. 

I would take that BB over the we're on to Cincinnati any day of the week. His football knowledge could be measured in terrabytes. 
Then perhaps the media should show THAT stuff rather than "were on to blahblah" each week, and maybe also consider asking much less idiotic questions.

The media reports what they want to report. They apparently think the people would rather hear drone Bill than actual Bill.

I feel sorry for the rest of the country, because BB the football genius rarely shows up when the national media is around. His local radio interviews are literally must listen programming. 

Early in the season he got asked what it was like when they had to play TB12 back in 2001. He talked for half an hour about specific plays 15 years later and knew every detail. The down and distance, the time left in the game, who they were trying to scheme against, who was out with injuries, which refs were in the game and what they were calling. Not just the Pats players, but the guys on the other team, what they did to make adjustments off of disguised stunts and blitzes, etc. 

He went on to talk about Vinatieri and the snow game ( better known as the tuck rule game) and what he called the greatest kick in the history of the NFL. He knew the exact distance, the speed of the wind, which side of the stadium they were on and the realistic kicking range based on the wind. 

He also went on to say that someone got hurt in the game and they had to put in someone on special teams on the FG try that had not played on the FG squad. So on the fly they were trying to get the player the snap count, who he had to block, where the pressure was going to come from (based on players and based on which gap).

I could go on and on. He was a living, breathing database and wealth of information. I would take that BB over the we're on to Cincinnati any day of the week. His football knowledge could be measured in terrabytes. 
:goodposting:
The guy is quite literally a genius... a bit of an #######, but a genius. I think when it's said and done, it will be difficult to argue him being anything other than one of the, if not the greatest NFL coach who's ever lived. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Then perhaps the media should show THAT stuff rather than "were on to blahblah" each week, and maybe also consider asking much less idiotic questions.

The media reports what they want to report. They apparently think the people would rather hear drone Bill than actual Bill.
I get both sides on this one. The press wants to know about an injury, or a game plan, or how a rookie is coming along. Bill is not ever going to answer those questions. He certainly is not going to answer when the words are rearranged to form the same question. Three reporters the same thing in a row is just dumb, and I agree with him on that one.

The press is not going to want to ask about the changes in the use of specialized or sub package players compared to when he was on the Giants. He'd answer that one for 20 minutes. But that's not news. They want to know what was going on with the footballs for deflate gate. They want to know when Gronk is coming back and how close is he to being 100%. They want to know which free agent players the Pats want to keep for next year, in which order, and for how much. He will never answer those types of questions, so we get the gruff BB with the stockpiled answers (we will do what's best for the team . . . I'm not a doctor . . . they're a great team with a lot of great players . . . they are good in all three faces of the game . . .)

The irony is that he will tell the reporters he's here to talk about the game against the Steelers. Yet he won't actually talk about the upcoming game against the Steelers.

Brady is right there with him in terms of ability to recall and work through information. Bill has talked abouy Brady just pulling historical plays out of the wind in full detail.

Run It Up said:
Brady is right there with him in terms of ability to recall and work through information. Bill has talked abouy Brady just pulling historical plays out of the wind in full detail.
I have heard Bill tell stories from the 70's and 80's with details I wouldn't be able to recognize or remember if it happened this morning.

I think that Belichick has probably been more important to the success of NE than Brady has been -- and that's really saying something, considering that I also think that Brady is the best QB ever to step on an NFL football field. It's really pretty effing remarkable that they're together on the same franchise at the same time.

I think that Belichick has probably been more important to the success of NE than Brady has been -- and that's really saying something, considering that I also think that Brady is the best QB ever to step on an NFL football field. It's really pretty effing remarkable that they're together on the same franchise at the same time.
It's amazing what partners in crime can accomplish.

I'm hoping Belichick sticks around for 5-10 years after Brady retires.  Because I'm very curious what type of Coach/GM he is after Brady.  I think he's obviously one of if not the best defensive guys ever.  But he might have some offensive holes that are covered up by having Brady.  On the other hand he might not.  It's really tough to tell.

Anarchy99 said:
I get both sides on this one. The press wants to know about an injury, or a game plan, or how a rookie is coming along. Bill is not ever going to answer those questions. He certainly is not going to answer when the words are rearranged to form the same question. Three reporters the same thing in a row is just dumb, and I agree with him on that one.

The press is not going to want to ask about the changes in the use of specialized or sub package players compared to when he was on the Giants. He'd answer that one for 20 minutes. But that's not news. They want to know what was going on with the footballs for deflate gate. They want to know when Gronk is coming back and how close is he to being 100%. They want to know which free agent players the Pats want to keep for next year, in which order, and for how much. He will never answer those types of questions, so we get the gruff BB with the stockpiled answers (we will do what's best for the team . . . I'm not a doctor . . . they're a great team with a lot of great players . . . they are good in all three faces of the game . . .)

The irony is that he will tell the reporters he's here to talk about the game against the Steelers. Yet he won't actually talk about the upcoming game against the Steelers.
Because they don't LET him talk about the game.

And yeah, they are idiots for asking 50 questions that they full well 100% know that NONE of which will be answered.  That is why they do it, cause apparently the people prefer to see the BB we have come to know and love, which is the guy you mentioned above in your middle paragraph. 

Nothing like snarky BB to get the day going. The weather in NE overnight and this morning was snow, sleet, and freezing rain. One would think the perfect weather for a controlled indoor practice to be able to work on things and get things done.

Not if you're Bill Belichick. Practice was held at the usual time in the usual place . . . in the steady freezing rain, on a sloppy field with patches of ice and pools of water. After the usual warm ups, basic training task master Sgt Belichick stepped onto the field and shouted to the troops (with the media present). "Looks like it's the perfect day to work on ball control. Wouldn't you agree, DION?"

From what I heard, you did not want to be a Patriot player today.

Nothing like snarky BB to get the day going. The weather in NE overnight and this morning was snow, sleet, and freezing rain. One would think the perfect weather for a controlled indoor practice to be able to work on things and get things done.

Not if you're Bill Belichick. Practice was held at the usual time in the usual place . . . in the steady freezing rain, on a sloppy field with patches of ice and pools of water. After the usual warm ups, basic training task master Sgt Belichick stepped onto the field and shouted to the troops (with the media present). "Looks like it's the perfect day to work on ball control. Wouldn't you agree, DION?"

From what I heard, you did not want to be a Patriot player today.
And why WOULDN'T Belichick want to do this in this setting?

And why WOULDN'T Belichick want to do this in this setting?
BB rarely, if ever, singles out a player. He doesn't throw players under the bus. It's always on him and the coaches and they are the ones that needed to do a better job. If the offense struggled, they need to work harder . . . but he would never say Randy Moss had a crappy game. I can't even remember a similar situation where in front of the media he called out a player by name. It's not a question of why WOULDN'T BB do this,  it's just that he doesn't operate that way.

Users who are viewing this thread