What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***Official Philadelphia Phillies Thread*** - Castellanos ****s wit Philly (5 Viewers)

You got yourself a stud-in-the-making in Perez. He looks unhittable.
:confused: He'll be 33 in September and hasn't pitched in the majors since 2007.Hell of a series this weekend. Saw a comment on yahoo lamenting the fact that the Braves couldn't have used Hudson rather than Lowe to get a real Big 3 vs. Big 3. Obviously want the Phillies to take it all, but could make for some epic ball come September/October.
Well, Jurrjens didn't pitch against the Phils either.You guys got off easy. :D

NooooooDo. Not. Want.

@jcrasnickJerry Crasnick#Phillies have talked to #Marlins about Leo Nunez. Florida is looking for young starting pitching in return. Phils have a lot of that.

I wouldn't mind another arm in the bullpen but I would prefer the big righthanded bat. I know Dom Brown is their guy and they've watched him grow up. So they are not going to trade him away after only a half a year but I don't see anything that says star with this guy like they were touting. He has journeyman written all over him. All these tools and what not mean jack if the guy doesn't have the drive. I'd be willing to move Brown but would want to get a significant player in return.

I wouldn't mind another arm in the bullpen but I would prefer the big righthanded bat. I know Dom Brown is their guy and they've watched him grow up. So they are not going to trade him away after only a half a year but I don't see anything that says star with this guy like they were touting. He has journeyman written all over him. All these tools and what not mean jack if the guy doesn't have the drive. I'd be willing to move Brown but would want to get a significant player in return.
I don't see it either, all I keep hearing about is his tools. And don't get me wrong, I know he's young and just gettin his feet wet but he's not helping the WS cause right now. I'm not demanding he be traded, but he needs to be replaced with something better at this point in the quest for the Series title.He just seems tentative an indecisive, and that's being young. He doesn't go first to third last night and is backing up on balls in the OF instead of being aggressive. Hopefully they can avoid dealing him, but for a long term improvement I wouldn't be opposed to moving him.Not sure if anyone seen it, I posted in the main thread that Rosethal says us and the Bo sox are both aggressively pursuing Beltran. I would imagine it would take more from us, a division rival to get him, but he would be a nice bat to add behind Howard. Just don't want give up too much for a rental. We'll see.

I don't see it either, all I keep hearing about is his tools. And don't get me wrong, I know he's young and just gettin his feet wet but he's not helping the WS cause right now. I'm not demanding he be traded, but he needs to be replaced with something better at this point in the quest for the Series title.He just seems tentative an indecisive, and that's being young. He doesn't go first to third last night and is backing up on balls in the OF instead of being aggressive. Hopefully they can avoid dealing him, but for a long term improvement I wouldn't be opposed to moving him.Not sure if anyone seen it, I posted in the main thread that Rosethal says us and the Bo sox are both aggressively pursuing Beltran. I would imagine it would take more from us, a division rival to get him, but he would be a nice bat to add behind Howard. Just don't want give up too much for a rental. We'll see.
I wouldn't be opposed to Beltran as a rental if the price was cheap enough (prospect wise). He'd solve our problem for this year. They still need a long term solution though. Its a shame Washington offered that ridiculous contract to Werth because I think he'd still be producing here in the 5 hole.

Talk on the radio is maybe Worley. Definitely would do it.

You got yourself a stud-in-the-making in Perez. He looks unhittable.
:confused: He'll be 33 in September and hasn't pitched in the majors since 2007.Hell of a series this weekend. Saw a comment on yahoo lamenting the fact that the Braves couldn't have used Hudson rather than Lowe to get a real Big 3 vs. Big 3. Obviously want the Phillies to take it all, but could make for some epic ball come September/October.
Well, Jurrjens didn't pitch against the Phils either.You guys got off easy. :D
yeah, good point. guess it didn't really register in my mind when i saw the comment. would be great to get the top 3 of each staff matched up.

I wouldn't trade Worley- he has proven himself to be a stud in the making. no way- not for a half year of Beltran.

Interesting blurb in mlbtraderumors about the Mariners being interested in Singleton (who is projecting as a DH). Wonder if they'll use Seattle as part of 3-way deal with Astros/mets.

I wouldn't trade Worley- he has proven himself to be a stud in the making.
Slow down there.

Worley is not going to be an Ace but he can be a solid 2 or 3 in the majors. He's proven he can pitch now for half a year. I wouldn't want to trade him to a division rival for a half year rental on the off chance he stays solid. Then he'd haunt us at least 5 times a year. IF we're going to trade Worley, it better be for someone like Hunter Pence. Someone we can control for 2 or 3 seasons and who can contribute solid numbers.

Worley is not going to be an Ace but he can be a solid 2 or 3 in the majors. He's proven he can pitch now for half a year. I wouldn't want to trade him to a division rival for a half year rental on the off chance he stays solid. Then he'd haunt us at least 5 times a year. IF we're going to trade Worley, it better be for someone like Hunter Pence. Someone we can control for 2 or 3 seasons and who can contribute solid numbers.
Plus, if you're going to trade Worley, you better be VERY confident in Oswalt's health.

Plus, if you're going to trade Worley, you better be VERY confident in Oswalt's health.
The Phils could get by this year without Oswalt coming back. How far away is Blanton? Halladay, Lee, Hamels, Blanton, Kendrick with a 9.5 game lead in the wildcard is good enough, especially when you add another bat to the lineup.The 4th starter in the playoff will make AT MOST 2 starts, if that.

'Snotbubbles said:
'JaxBill said:
'Insein said:
The Phils could get by this year without Oswalt coming back. How far away is Blanton? Halladay, Lee, Hamels, Blanton, Kendrick with a 9.5 game lead in the wildcard is good enough, especially when you add another bat to the lineup.The 4th starter in the playoff will make AT MOST 2 starts, if that.
2009 World Series: Down 2-1 to the Yankees, Joe Blanton starts game 4. 2010 NLCS: Down 2-1 to the Giants, Joe Blanton starts game 4. I'd rather have that 4th starter than a half year rental.

'Snotbubbles said:
'JaxBill said:
'Insein said:
2009 World Series: Down 2-1 to the Yankees, Joe Blanton starts game 4. 2010 NLCS: Down 2-1 to the Giants, Joe Blanton starts game 4. I'd rather have that 4th starter than a half year rental.
If Halladay, Lee and Hamels are only winning 1 out of 3 games, chances are, you aren't winning the series anyway.

'Snotbubbles said:
'JaxBill said:
'Insein said:
Last I read, Blanton's return was more doubtful than Oswalt's.
Meanwhile, injured reliever Jose Contreras will hook up with the team in Chicago and will begin a throwing program. Proefrock says Contreras is eyeing a return for the stretch run.The same goes for Joe Blanton, who Proefrock said had a "hiccup" in his rehab from elbow inflammation. Proefrock says Blanton could return to Philadelphia to visit with team physician Dr. Michael Ciccotti.

So any chance that when the multitude of injured closers come back, that the Phils actually get rid of Danys freakin Baez?
You got your wish!!!!
Todd Zolecki Phillies activate Brad Lidge. Designated Danys Baez for assignment.
:clap: :clap: :clap:Next up on the chopping block... David Herndon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Danys Baez will go down as having the fourth worst ERA in team history of all pitchers who threw at least 80 innings. And the three in front of him pitched at the Baker Bowl.

:eek: :lmao:

'JaxBill said:
Astros scouts at Class A Lakewood game with Biddle pitching.http://philaphans.com/phillies/2011/07/22/phillies-minute-scouts-present-at-lakewood-game-tonight/
Now thats interesting. Seeing if anyone is worth Pence?

Astros scouts at Class A Lakewood game with Biddle pitching.http://philaphans.com/phillies/2011/07/22/phillies-minute-scouts-present-at-lakewood-game-tonight/
Don't want them to get rid of Biddle.
You would not trade a single-A prospect for a proven right-handed all-star outfielder in the prime of his career? wow.
Eh, maybe he knows the kid. Or maybe it is his kid. Otherwise, this seems like a no brainer. Talks are it could involve Dom Brown too.

I'm in win now mode, as the team is, I could care less about single A prospects. Like Doc said yesterday, sell the farm!!! :)

But reports today say Pence will not be moved by Houston.

You would not trade a single-A prospect for a proven right-handed all-star outfielder in the prime of his career? wow.
Eh, maybe he knows the kid. Or maybe it is his kid. Otherwise, this seems like a no brainer. Talks are it could involve Dom Brown too.
Who said I wouldn't trade anyone? The only type of pitching prospects I would deal would be J.C. Ramirez type guys (or older, middle of the rotation type prospects). I certainly wouldn't include Cosart who has top of the rotation type stuff and I wouldn't include a LH power pitcher like Biddle who also could be a top of the rotation pitcher. Anyone who suggests including Dom Brown for Pence should have his head examined. Brown will be better then Pence within 2 years.I would also include a prospect like Singleton for Pence (not Beltran).

Who said I wouldn't trade anyone? The only type of pitching prospects I would deal would be J.C. Ramirez type guys (or older, middle of the rotation type prospects). I certainly wouldn't include Cosart who has top of the rotation type stuff and I wouldn't include a LH power pitcher like Biddle who also could be a top of the rotation pitcher. Anyone who suggests including Dom Brown for Pence should have his head examined. Brown will be better then Pence within 2 years.I would also include a prospect like Singleton for Pence (not Beltran).
I just don't see it with Brown. By all means, if we can get Pence with Singleton and 2 of the A pitchers, I'm all for it but Houston needs prospect compensation for a guy like Pence. If they want Cosart or Biddle or pretty much anyone in the minors, its a no-brainer. As for Brown vs Pence, Pence is light years ahead of Brown now. He's a 2-time all-star batting .300 in the Majors. He's going to give you 20+ homers and about 80+ RBIs in our lineup. Dom Brown supposedly is going to be this superstar. I just don't see it. Sure he has raw skills and tore up the minors but he hasn't seem to figure out the majors yet. Granted that may take a few seasons but the Phillies are built for now. In 2 seasons, Howard will be 33, Utley will be 34, Jimmy (if he's here) will be 34, and Shane will be 32. That will probably be the end of the this run. Hunter Pence is 28. He is in his prime NOW. He can contribute significantly this season and the next 2 beyond. Dom Brown MAY contribute in 1 or 2 seasons. I'd trade him in a heartbeat for Pence. I'd love to have Pence and Brown with Vic as an outfield but if they asked for Brown, done deal.

I'm not getting involved with Brown vs. Pence, as that is much more complicated, but the world is littered with single-A players who looked like studs and never panned out. If you have a chance to cement a championship right now (and make yourself the frontrunner for next year too), you absolutely do it.

I really can't believe that this is a discussion. Upton, I would get it, question marks about his motivation. Beltran, 1/2-year rental, I get it. The latest rumor, Quentin, not good against lefties, ok. But for Pence?

Of course, it is likely moot anyway.

I really can't believe that this is a discussion. Upton, I would get it, question marks about his motivation. Beltran, 1/2-year rental, I get it. The latest rumor, Quentin, not good against lefties, ok. But for Pence?Of course, it is likely moot anyway.
Exactly. Pence is the definition of a no-brainer. If he's available, you get him. Even if it costs Worley or Brown (not both).

I'm not getting involved with Brown vs. Pence, as that is much more complicated, but the world is littered with single-A players who looked like studs and never panned out. If you have a chance to cement a championship right now (and make yourself the frontrunner for next year too), you absolutely do it.
Getting Pence cements nothing.Last years best deadline move wasn't the Rangers getting Cliff Lee, it was the Giants getting Cody Ross.

I really can't believe that this is a discussion. Upton, I would get it, question marks about his motivation. Beltran, 1/2-year rental, I get it. The latest rumor, Quentin, not good against lefties, ok. But for Pence?Of course, it is likely moot anyway.
Exactly. Pence is the definition of a no-brainer. If he's available, you get him. Even if it costs Worley or Brown (not both).
I would love to see you guys create a 25 man roster next season if we get rid of Worley and/or Brown.EDIT: Keep in mind the Phils payroll is currently maxed out at 165M.

Getting Pence cements nothing.Last years best deadline move wasn't the Rangers getting Cliff Lee, it was the Giants getting Cody Ross.
It cements a right-handed bat that hits for average and is under control for 2 more years. Sure we can go trash picking too and hope we find gold but I'd rather get a sure thing.

'Snotbubbles said:
'Insein said:
'Please See Mine said:
I would love to see you guys create a 25 man roster next season if we get rid of Worley and/or Brown.EDIT: Keep in mind the Phils payroll is currently maxed out at 165M.
This just in, I don't care about the Phillies self-imposed cap. I'm sure ruben can figure out some scrub backups to fill in for the likes of Schneider and Gload being gone. Raul, Oswalt and Lidge will all be gone. Jimmy will too if he wants top 10 money. Baez and Romero's money will be gone. Not much but when replaced by minor leaguers it saves a couple mil. Martinez and Mayberry are controllable still. That leaves signing Madson and Hamels. Keeping Brown and/or Worley is helpful money wise but when the difference is about $3 or 4 mil, I don't want to hear them cry poor now. Pence is only set to make $6.9 this year and has arbitration for 2 more years. So about $5mil cheaper than Ibanez costs us right now. I'm pretty sure they can work it in.

'Snotbubbles said:
'Insein said:
'Please See Mine said:
This just in, I don't care about the Phillies self-imposed cap. I'm sure ruben can figure out some scrub backups to fill in for the likes of Schneider and Gload being gone. Raul, Oswalt and Lidge will all be gone. Jimmy will too if he wants top 10 money. Baez and Romero's money will be gone. Not much but when replaced by minor leaguers it saves a couple mil. Martinez and Mayberry are controllable still. That leaves signing Madson and Hamels. Keeping Brown and/or Worley is helpful money wise but when the difference is about $3 or 4 mil, I don't want to hear them cry poor now. Pence is only set to make $6.9 this year and has arbitration for 2 more years. So about $5mil cheaper than Ibanez costs us right now. I'm pretty sure they can work it in.
Yeah except...Cliff Lees contract goes up 11.5M for next year and another 3.5M the following year.Then you have to factor in raises to Hamels (~4-6M), Pence (~3-5M), Victorino (2M), Polanco (1M), Ruiz (1M) and then all the arb guys who will earn AT LEAST min raises like Kendrick, Francisco, Orr and Valdez.I'm pretty sure they can't work it in without have a bullpen anchored by Bastardo and Stutes, Michael Martinez as your everyday SS (don't even know if he can play there) and Kyle Kendrick as your #4 starter and a guy from AAA in the 5 hole.

'Snotbubbles said:
'Insein said:
'Please See Mine said:
Yeah except...Cliff Lees contract goes up 11.5M for next year and another 3.5M the following year.Then you have to factor in raises to Hamels (~4-6M), Pence (~3-5M), Victorino (2M), Polanco (1M), Ruiz (1M) and then all the arb guys who will earn AT LEAST min raises like Kendrick, Francisco, Orr and Valdez.I'm pretty sure they can't work it in without have a bullpen anchored by Bastardo and Stutes, Michael Martinez as your everyday SS (don't even know if he can play there) and Kyle Kendrick as your #4 starter and a guy from AAA in the 5 hole.
5 hole in the lineup or rotation? 5-hole in the lineup would be pence. And theoretically, you'd only trade Brown or worley. So it would depend on which one. Keeping Worley has more monetary value than Brown but you would hope Brown could provide more on the field value being an everyday player. Either way, they could fit Pence in. I don't think they would have to trade either but I would move Worley in a heartbeat if thats what they wanted. Blanton is here regardless next year so Kendrick is your 5 unless Cosart is ready.

OMG I just spit coffee all over my dashboard when you made me realize Joe B has another year to go. Thought this was it. :X

'Snotbubbles said:
'Insein said:
'Please See Mine said:
Based on Bastardo's performance, I wouldn't be surprised if the Phils let Madsen and Lidge walk to save themselves a little coin.

'Snotbubbles said:
'Insein said:
'Please See Mine said:
Jamie Moyer down?

'Snotbubbles said:
'Insein said:
'Please See Mine said:
Based on Bastardo's performance, I wouldn't be surprised if the Phils let Madsen and Lidge walk to save themselves a little coin.
Its risky. I'd rather have Madson but there's only one reason you have Boras as your agent. He's going after the big payday. Not sure they can afford him at $12+mil per year.

'Insein said:
'Thunderlips said:
'Snotbubbles said:
'Insein said:
'Please See Mine said:
Its risky. I'd rather have Madson but there's only one reason you have Boras as your agent. He's going after the big payday. Not sure they can afford him at $12+mil per year.
Madson's been a good pitcher for the Phils...in his setup role and as closer this year. Something about closers though....they just don't last and I'm not sure Madson has the mindset to be a good value at 4 years and whatever million dollars. To me, the Phils number one priority this season should be locking Hamels up long term...because if he goes into next year without a new deal...he ain't coming back.

Madson's been a good pitcher for the Phils...in his setup role and as closer this year. Something about closers though....they just don't last and I'm not sure Madson has the mindset to be a good value at 4 years and whatever million dollars. To me, the Phils number one priority this season should be locking Hamels up long term...because if he goes into next year without a new deal...he ain't coming back.
Agreed. I'm sure the Phillies will make an offer to Madson but if he doesn't fit their price range, Bastardo is our new closer at a tenth of the cost. Hamels will be their #1 priority. I'm just wondering if he'll want the $20m/yr that Lee and Doc are getting.

Agreed. I'm sure the Phillies will make an offer to Madson but if he doesn't fit their price range, Bastardo is our new closer at a tenth of the cost. Hamels will be their #1 priority. I'm just wondering if he'll want the $20m/yr that Lee and Doc are getting.
Hard to imagine him getting less than $20m with the way he's pitching this year on top of all of his previous success.

Users who are viewing this thread