What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (3 Viewers)

I will drop DirecTV after the football season. I have dwindled down and use Plex for nearly everything/my media anyway. The only thing that is keeping me from dropping it is that I will not have Mets games on a whim. Will there be a stream somewhere? It seems ideal for me considering I built a great HTPC anyway.
see pm
I will drop DirecTV after the football season. I have dwindled down and use Plex for nearly everything/my media anyway. The only thing that is keeping me from dropping it is that I will not have Mets games on a whim. Will there be a stream somewhere? It seems ideal for me considering I built a great HTPC anyway.
My plan for mlb is to do this

jailbroke ipad

mlb.com app

airplay

ftw
Can you get the Ranger games that way? I thought local teams were blacked out on MLB.com.
Yup.

You need to jailbreak the ipad then use a location spoofing client to push your location to Mexico. I use the location of the one of the Zeta Cartel's old hideouts. Then you not only can get every local game, but every ESPN GOTW also.
If I run a proxy on my HTPC, will it work that way?

About to cut the cord myself (again) now that Red Zone channel is about to end.

Question: Is there any news/speculation that HBO Go is anywhere near cutting the cord with cable providers? I'd cut a $50 check to HBO today, maybe even $75, if I could stream all of their content during 2014 without a Comcast subscription.

Note to NFL: Give me a Roku option for the Red Zone channel in 2014 (I'll pay), otherwise my attention will drift.

Question 2: Anyone dabbled with PlexApp server? Thoughts? I set it up and can play all of my personal collection of music to my TV with an interface which is near identical to Pandora. Even cooler, I discovered I can stream Daily Show and Colbert Report the day after the show originally plays; the ability to play these two shows on my TV makes cutting the Comcast cord all that much easier.
I've set up Plex for nearly everyone in my family. I run my HTPC as a PLex Server and then they log into their Roku, SmarTV etc. I even finally found a use for the Google TV I was bought a few years back - Plex App, works great. I bought the app on my phone, too, so I can watch on the go. I need to update my Plex, though, as I think they've updated to Plex Theater 1.0?

If I can watch MLB.tv on my HTPC (if proxy server works), I'm cutting the cord ASAP.

Last edited by a moderator:
People of the internet have very mixed result doing MLB.tv through a proxy. In general, it's no longer thought to be the ideal solution and a full on VPN is preffered. I'm all ears though to hear any success stories using it, especially using it w/ a roku.

ropped my bill from $220 down to $39 a month.
$220 a month for cable with the lowest internet speed... :shock: You must of had all the pr0n channels.
It was the middle speed, but that's neither here or there. It was a really bad deal after the promotion with AT&T was over. The landline alone was 79 bucks. Moved my security system to a cellular system to make the landline not needed anymore.

After hardware purchases/maintenance, monthly subscriptions and on demand I have a hard time seeing that this is saving very much money.

After hardware purchases/maintenance, monthly subscriptions and on demand I have a hard time seeing that this is saving very much money.
For me, I have spent 99 bucks that I might not would have spent this month (the Blu Ray player for my second kid's room). I will make that back with my Jan bill. The only subscription I have is Netflix, and I would have had that anyway.

For me it wasn't about going out and spending extra on things to replace the cable, it was about shedding what I didn't find I was getting value out of anymore.

People of the internet have very mixed result doing MLB.tv through a proxy. In general, it's no longer thought to be the ideal solution and a full on VPN is preffered. I'm all ears though to hear any success stories using it, especially using it w/ a roku.
I meant a VPN, my bad.

Apparently Plex now works with Chromecast. Anybody try it yet?
People have had pretty good success over at avsforums.com

My issue is whether or not it can handle the higher bitrate and all that crap seeing as though it is wireless. I hardwired my house, it made a huge difference with the HTPC.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1505959/plex-on-chromecast-questions -- people not loving the wifi and streaming their media.
I run Plex on Ubuntu and go wireless with a Linksys router to a Roku 2 XS. Never had problems streaming anything other than home movies taken on my Nikon. Those are 1080p probably with little compression. Any TV show or movie has been fine at 720p ad 1080p. The router is on another floor, about 50ft away, and the Roku is in a cabinet. I keep thinking I need to go wired but it's been about a year now with no TV or movie problems.

$220 a month for cable with the lowest internet speed... :shock: You must of had all the pr0n channels.
It was the middle speed, but that's neither here or there. It was a really bad deal after the promotion with AT&T was over. The landline alone was 79 bucks. Moved my security system to a cellular system to make the landline not needed anymore.
This is bs. They all advertise this promotion price as if that's the standard rate, then you get screwed for being a loyal customer for a few years by having the rate jacked up.

Politician Spock said:
TheWalkmen said:
Upon cutting the cable, is there a way to "DVR" shows on the local channels that aren't available on Netflix or Hulu. For example, my wife is a bachelor fan, but she wouldn't sit through 2 full hours including the 40+ minutes of commercials.

ETA: or are shows like that on Hulu? Not very familiar with Hulu.
A Tivo can be hooked up to an antenna and record over the air channels, $15 a month subscription, or buy a lifetime subscription on the box for around $400 (or $500... Can't remember).

Or with a windows computer you can use Windows Media Center and USB TV tuner to function as a DVR. To watch it on the TV screen, either connect the computer to the TV via HDMI cable, or an xBox can connect via TCP/IP on the LAN to view the recorded shows. If you dedicate a computer to being a DVR your costs could be as much as just getting a Tivo with a lifetime subscription. But if the PC serves other purposes than being just a DVR, that is a plus.

I have both a Tivo, and windows media center, and. I prefer the usability of Tivo.
Thank you.

For me, I have spent 99 bucks that I might not would have spent this month (the Blu Ray player for my second kid's room). I will make that back with my Jan bill. The only subscription I have is Netflix, and I would have had that anyway.

For me it wasn't about going out and spending extra on things to replace the cable, it was about shedding what I didn't find I was getting value out of anymore.
:thumbup: Makes sense if you only need OTA and Netflix. I like HBO series, sports (ESPN) and the ability to get new movies. I think the cost of adding subscriptions and on demand services to get all these is a wash. I think its back to the simple OTA vs. Cable and weather you want to pay for the extras cable has, not that there is a work around to get everything cable has cheaper.

This is bs. They all advertise this promotion price as if that's the standard rate, then you get screwed for being a loyal customer for a few years by having the rate jacked up.
:thumbup: Totally!!. I just made my yearly call to Comcast. Every year they hike the rates hoping I'm too lazy to notice. Call them up and they put you back on a 12 month promotion so your cost doesn't change. Seems like loyal customers should be rewarded not screwed.

Football season is nearly over. Going back to no-uverse soon. They gave me $275 in gift cards and with the promo rate I got from 10/1-2/1 I actually had them paying me money to have cable.

Won't miss it for a second as there is no reason to watch ESPN in the offseason imo and that was 99%+ the reason I had it in the first place.

Apparently Plex now works with Chromecast. Anybody try it yet?
People have had pretty good success over at avsforums.com

My issue is whether or not it can handle the higher bitrate and all that crap seeing as though it is wireless. I hardwired my house, it made a huge difference with the HTPC.

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1505959/plex-on-chromecast-questions -- people not loving the wifi and streaming their media.
I run Plex on Ubuntu and go wireless with a Linksys router to a Roku 2 XS. Never had problems streaming anything other than home movies taken on my Nikon. Those are 1080p probably with little compression. Any TV show or movie has been fine at 720p ad 1080p. The router is on another floor, about 50ft away, and the Roku is in a cabinet. I keep thinking I need to go wired but it's been about a year now with no TV or movie problems.
Fair enough. I needed wired since I can't get FIOS near me and Optimum was not very reliable.

I currently have Netflix, and will fully cut the cable in a few months when my "mover's package deal" expires.

We use netflix a lot, but also use Redboxes for single night disc rentals. Looking into if it's worth getting the Redbox streaming + 4 movies a month deal if we already have Netflix.

If we were to add one more service to our existing Netflix, would you recommend Hulu, Redbox instant, or Amazon Prime? What has the biggest selection?

I currently have Netflix, and will fully cut the cable in a few months when my "mover's package deal" expires.

We use netflix a lot, but also use Redboxes for single night disc rentals. Looking into if it's worth getting the Redbox streaming + 4 movies a month deal if we already have Netflix.

If we were to add one more service to our existing Netflix, would you recommend Hulu, Redbox instant, or Amazon Prime? What has the biggest selection?
Amazon prime doesn't cost anything*

*Assuming you use Amazon Prime already for shopping.

Amazon prime doesn't cost anything*

*Assuming you use Amazon Prime already for shopping.
Which I don't. I wouldn't and haven't done it just for the expedited shipping, but would if their library was different than what I already have on Netflix.

Not sure if I asked it here, I'm slow today, but any recommendations for a digital antenna? In NYC area, if it matters.

Eta: anyone ever buy the Mohu Leaf?

We have the Mohu Leaf. We're about 35 miles from the Chicago area TV antennas and we get all those channels crystal clear. We even pick up another station from about 50 miles away. Depending on how far you are from the antennas transmitting the TV signals and where in your house the antenna is going, you may have to experiment with the placement of the Leaf to get the best results. We tried two or three spots near our TV before we found the one that worked best, and we've been very happy with it ever since.

We have the Mohu Leaf. We're about 35 miles from the Chicago area TV antennas and we get all those channels crystal clear. We even pick up another station from about 50 miles away. Depending on how far you are from the antennas transmitting the TV signals and where in your house the antenna is going, you may have to experiment with the placement of the Leaf to get the best results. We tried two or three spots near our TV before we found the one that worked best, and we've been very happy with it ever since.
Great info, thanks.

I'm ~3 miles from Manhattan. I hope to get a decent amount of channels.

Did you wind up using an amplifier?
3 miles from Manhattan, just point the antenna towards the Empire State Building and see what you get. There are downsides to an amplifier, so only add one if necessary (shouldn't be with how close you are to antennas).

Antenna locators say I'm 37 miles from the ones in Chicago. Tempted to give one of these Mohus a shot, seems like I'm right on the border for the regular leaf - those Skys for the attic look pretty danged cool though...

Antenna locators say I'm 37 miles from the ones in Chicago. Tempted to give one of these Mohus a shot, seems like I'm right on the border for the regular leaf - those Skys for the attic look pretty danged cool though...
I have the sky in the attic. I didn't have much luck with a leaf. I'm 42 miles from the towers though. YMMV all over the place on antennas.

Someone needs to explain to me the appeal of a roku over a wdlive box. You are telling me to use my NAS I have to download and run Twonky on it just so the roku will address it?

Am I missing something? What is the point of this system? Any TV has all those apps where you can stream TV shows by now.

Did you wind up using an amplifier?
3 miles from Manhattan, just point the antenna towards the Empire State Building and see what you get. There are downsides to an amplifier, so only add one if necessary (shouldn't be with how close you are to antennas).
Sounds good.

I am between 9-13 miles for about 15 channels. I hope it's enough.

I'll hold off on the amplifier. Cutting early this week, once I get the Leaf.

My Optimum Triple Play deal went from approximately $150/mo to $222. 3 boxes(2 DVR). No HBO, Showtime, pr0n (except for On Demand), etc... We have been with them since the very beginning when you could get the exact email addy you wanted and when there was no web based mail. We very rarely lose our cable connection. During 14 days of Sandy outages last year our cable was up and running when I got a generator going. And FIOS doesn't get rave reviews in my neck of the woods

35 miles outside NYC, I'm looking to cut the TV package and landline and just roll with the $79/mo internet, Amazon Prime and the Leaf. (Who is offering $39 high speed internet!?)

The Leaf is the biggest part of making this work for me (the wife). Landing the major networks. Anymore experiences from OTAguys that kind of distance from towers??

My Optimum Triple Play deal went from approximately $150/mo to $222. 3 boxes(2 DVR). No HBO, Showtime, pr0n (except for On Demand), etc... We have been with them since the very beginning when you could get the exact email addy you wanted and when there was no web based mail. We very rarely lose our cable connection. During 14 days of Sandy outages last year our cable was up and running when I got a generator going. And FIOS doesn't get rave reviews in my neck of the woods

35 miles outside NYC, I'm looking to cut the TV package and landline and just roll with the $79/mo internet, Amazon Prime and the Leaf. (Who is offering $39 high speed internet!?)

The Leaf is the biggest part of making this work for me (the wife). Landing the major networks. Anymore experiences from OTAguys that kind of distance from towers??
Get the amplified Leaf for that distance. If it's not good enough, then get an outdoor or attic antenna.

Did a scan of Digital channels over the weekend using my OTA antenna. The TV found something like 79 channels. Yet most are either religious, in Spanish, or both.

Still, didn't really miss cable over the weekend. Saw all the Wild Card games that I wanted, and when I didn't get ESPN for one of the bowl games, just tuned in on the radio and did something else. Related topic, over the weekend and New Years, I got a TON of stuff done around the house.

Connected the Leaf last night. The picture quality on 2,4,5,7 and various others is amazing. Without it being filtered through a cable box, it really is that much better. The only downfall is having to pull out my AV receiver to run the antenna through the surround. And then program it, but whatever, small price to pay.

I will miss Sportscenter, kinda, but I am calling to cut it officially today. The WAF is high, she was fine with move. We both agreed that if we miss it, we can just reup.

At this point, here is my set up:

Mohu Leaf

HTPC running Plex

Netflix ($7.99/month)

Hulu + (I use my brother's account, no charge for me)

Amazon Prime (split this account with my brother, $35/year)

Internet for $35/month

All told, about $45/month for everything. I was paying $120-$140 a month.

Just killed my uverse again today. ESPN for NCAAF is still my big blind spot. And I don't see that changing. There were rumors they would allow you to sub to WATCHESPN and if so I'll never have cable again.

So I've messed around with the ROKU a bit more. I still don't get the appeal of this over a WDLIVE to just run movies off a NAS. There are some sideloading apps that allow you to not use PLEX though, I would think that over time a HTPC running PLEX would start to add up cost wise just for the electricity and added load on HVAC. Those things you do have to factor in.

So now I have:

Netflix - (9 bucks)

Amazon Prime - (I consider this free, sue me)

PBS Kids - (Free, but somewhat useless so far IMO)

MLB.tv - (About 120 for a season)

2x WDLIVE

1x ROKU

XboxOne

OTA in attic.

My internet (12Mbs is still pricey as hell. Runs about $50. Probably the next thing I try to shop around.)

Just killed my uverse again today. ESPN for NCAAF is still my big blind spot. And I don't see that changing. There were rumors they would allow you to sub to WATCHESPN and if so I'll never have cable again.

So I've messed around with the ROKU a bit more. I still don't get the appeal of this over a WDLIVE to just run movies off a NAS. There are some sideloading apps that allow you to not use PLEX though, I would think that over time a HTPC running PLEX would start to add up cost wise just for the electricity and added load on HVAC. Those things you do have to factor in.

So now I have:

Netflix - (9 bucks)

Amazon Prime - (I consider this free, sue me)

PBS Kids - (Free, but somewhat useless so far IMO)

MLB.tv - (About 120 for a season)

2x WDLIVE

1x ROKU

XboxOne

OTA in attic.

My internet (12Mbs is still pricey as hell. Runs about $50. Probably the next thing I try to shop around.)
I'm curious to see my electric bill this month, but it sure as #### won't add up to a fraction of the cost of a cable bill.

HBO is the killer for me. Be sweet if you could get HBO without subscribing to a provider. Well i guess you can by using a friends HBO Go password but i'd rather just pay them $25 a month or something.

Dumping my PS3 since I never use it for gaming, and am looking at a WDLive for my external HDD which has alot of movies on it (PS3 and Cinavia - no good). Looking to move down to base DirecTV and kill all movie channels...baby steps.

How do you guys like the WDLive that have it? I have an Apple TV 2 too, but stupidly updated the firmware recently so I'll have to wait until the new firmware is jailbroken to pimp that out too.

fruity pebbles said:
HBO is the killer for me. Be sweet if you could get HBO without subscribing to a provider. Well i guess you can by using a friends HBO Go password but i'd rather just pay them $25 a month or something.
I

mquinnjr said:
Dumping my PS3 since I never use it for gaming, and am looking at a WDLive for my external HDD which has alot of movies on it (PS3 and Cinavia - no good). Looking to move down to base DirecTV and kill all movie channels...baby steps.

How do you guys like the WDLive that have it? I have an Apple TV 2 too, but stupidly updated the firmware recently so I'll have to wait until the new firmware is jailbroken to pimp that out too.
I'm the biggest WDLive fan here. I think it's essential as a cable cutter if you do any sort of "downloading".

MCguidance said:
I will miss Sportscenter, kinda, but I am calling to cut it officially today.
An xBox with a Gold memberhip can use the ESPN app. Within the app subscribe to the sports/teams/conferences/schools you care about, and you'll get all the Sportscenter content, based on your preferences, streamed on demand. It's better than watching it live and having to sit through content you don't care about to wait for the stuff you do. I watch it for a good 30 to 45 minutes most days while I have my morning coffee.

Plex and WDTV are basically the same thing but Plex needs to be hosted and WDTV is it's own device? Is that correct?

Plex and WDTV are basically the same thing but Plex needs to be hosted and WDTV is it's own device? Is that correct?
WDTV can also attach to USB storage. NAS is not required.

Plex is more of a software system that (IMO) makes some devices run like a WDLIVE on hardwares where one would rather source their other streaming content. At least that's my impression so far.

Users who are viewing this thread