What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

We've cut the cable (6 Viewers)

• $50
  • 00 /mo
Plus taxes. For 12 months. Req’s 24-mo. TV agmt. Reg. Price $88.00/mo.

Above is what I get when I input my zip code and result of SELECT package. I'm not sure if this ALSO include Live streaming any device. The XTRA package comes out to $118.00/mo (plus taxes fees etc..). When I had DTV several years ago, taxes/fees came out to $12-15.
I just did for ####s and giggles. Kodi already gives me everything I want (outside basketball and UFC I watch nothing live) but I'll still try new products/services out a month here and there. 
I get the same thing.  Because of the contract that's really $69/month plus taxes and fees over 2 years.*  That's just for Select.  Xtra would be $94/month plus taxes and fees.*  Oh, and don't forget to call in to deal with customer support after 3 months when the premium channels expire and you start getting billed extra for those.

*Equipment lease required.  Credit card required.  Pro-rated ETF fee (up to $480) and Equipment non-return fees required.

For Directv the streaming is included, sort of.  You can stream to any computer, IOS/Android phone or tablet and Kindle.  You can't stream to any of the tv box devices (Roku, firestick, etc.) as they want to make sure you have a directv box for each of your televisions.  You can use your log in credentials for some of the individual channels.  Oh, and those On Demand shows and movies will be charged for/cost you more than they normally would through your directv box.   

Yes I believe you'll get a message to contact Customer Service. 

I had an issue using an account just going from wireless to hard wired at the same property. (I don't have any idea why I would) I didnt have any plans on using Vue beyond NBA playoffs but was a PITA to say the least.

-------------------------------------

I know Sling had "DVR capability" with some channels......but IMO that's the one thing it really lacks in attempting to compete with Vue/etc...Outside sports, I rarely watch anything live. And the more popular shows are available on Genesis/etc.. an hour may two after original airing anyway.  

---------------

For ####s and giggles I just went to DTV website to look at starting as a 'new customer'. The regular price of their CHEAPEST package in my area (SELECT package) is $105/mo after taxes/fees.........doesnt have ESPNs,Fox Sports, NBA TV, NFLN. I double checked just to see if this was serious and it is. :lmao: I haven't had DTV in probably 5+ years and quit after paying $90/mo (which included the above sports channels). Just ridiculous.
Yeah, that seems to be Sling's big drawback compared to Vue. It's not a big deal to me, and Sling's advantages over Vue ($20 price point*, multi-location) outweigh it for me. Sling has just enough On-Demand viewing for that I don't really care, but lack of a real DVR is going to be a problem for them competing with Vue.

*I say $20 because, for now at least, Sling is grandfathering the $20 price for those that signed for what was, at the time, called "multi-stream beta" (now called Sling Blue). It's $25 for everyone else.

I kind of like that Sling is basically running a real world experiment to find out exactly how much people will pay for ESPN. I had honestly never watched FS1/FS2 and the like, before but they seem to be coming on strong. Solid programming. Fox Sports also just added a radio station here. It seems like ESPN should be pretty worried. Fox doesn't #### around. They were basically a nobody when they bought that NFL contract (20-25 years ago?) and turned the big 3 broadcast networks in to a big 4 in a really short amount of time. ESPN's reign as the only game in town when it comes to nationwide 24-hour sports broadcasting seems to be coming to an end. 

I get the same thing.  Because of the contract that's really $69/month plus taxes and fees over 2 years.*  That's just for Select.  Xtra would be $94/month plus taxes and fees.*  Oh, and don't forget to call in to deal with customer support after 3 months when the premium channels expire and you start getting billed extra for those.

*Equipment lease required.  Credit card required.  Pro-rated ETF fee (up to $480) and Equipment non-return fees required.

For Directv the streaming is included, sort of.  You can stream to any computer, IOS/Android phone or tablet and Kindle.  You can't stream to any of the tv box devices (Roku, firestick, etc.) as they want to make sure you have a directv box for each of your televisions.  You can use your log in credentials for some of the individual channels.  Oh, and those On Demand shows and movies will be charged for/cost you more than they normally would through your directv box.   
That #### gives me such a headache. 

Everybody I know is fed up with cable prices, but I just can't get many to convert. It's either a couple stupid channels they have to have, or the upfront cost (that, they'd of course make up really quickly after they cut the $175/mo cable bill), or maybe the low power indoor antenna they tried didn't have great luck at first. Ah hell, it's not my money, so I shouldn't care. I do hate to see so many pissing their money away every month though.

Does Comcast's app cast in HD?

Just had to bite the bullet on a package change so instead of $45 for 75mb internet I can now pay $60 for 25mb, but at least I get basic cable in SD and free HBO. :mellow:

Read a report that NFL Network may be coming to Sling soon as part of their ongoing negotiations with Dish Network to get it back on their service. If that happens, I might go back to Sling. Wonder how that would impact the price though.

Last edited by a moderator:
Does Comcast's app cast in HD?

Just had to bite the bullet on a package change so instead of $45 for 75mb internet I can now pay $60 for 25mb, but at least I get basic cable in SD and free HBO. :mellow:
Sorry, but, I don't see how that's a better deal.  You'll need to add in all the taxes and fees now too and you're probably locked into a contract longer than the discounted rate lasts.   No?

Sorry, but, I don't see how that's a better deal.  You'll need to add in all the taxes and fees now too and you're probably locked into a contract longer than the discounted rate lasts.   No?
It's not a better deal. I was forced into it as that's the BEST deal they could currently offer me after the deal I was on expired. It's only a 12 month deal. The $60 number includes the taxes and fees.

My post was tongue in cheek.

I don't watch UFC very often, but 200 looks pretty awesome. There is no legal way to order the PPV without a cable provider, is there?

FreeTelly  Install and try Kodi out on a PC or Mac as easy as installing an app.  The FreeTelly app.  (Have not personally tried it yet.)  

If you've avoided Kodi because it sounded too complicated this might be for you.  No complicated configuration or set up required.  Just install and enjoy.

Just got the fire TV with antenna bundle on prime day deals. Been watching it for a while and this is lowest it has been

Just got the fire TV with antenna bundle on prime day deals. Been watching it for a while and this is lowest it has been
Pretend I have not read any of this thread (I have actually read some, but not for a while).  How could one potentially implement that deal with Playstaion Vue?  What port does the antenna connect to?

ETA: the photo for the antenna shows a coax cable https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DFTCV90/ref=gbph_img_m-5_5522_46ad29ae?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=2553435522&pf_rd_s=merchandised-search-5&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_i=11851273011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=31BZFZQTAZT29S0PPKE2

Pretend I have not read any of this thread (I have actually read some, but not for a while).  How could one potentially implement that deal with Playstaion Vue?  What port does the antenna connect to?

I have a PS4 but i believe you can use vue on the fire tv box (and supposedly runs a lot smoother than the stick). The antenna is just a regular TV antenna.

Vue runs through the fire TV.   Antenna connects to, well the antenna port :)

Note to any PIA VPN users.

They had some problems in Russia where the government seized their servers. No data was compromised because they don't store any IP addresses.

PIA will no longer be serving the Russian area and has asked every one to perform an update of their desktop client which will add in even more security in case this problem arises in other countries.

The update took just a minute (the update is really just re-downloading the client again).

https://www.privateinternetaccess.com/pages/client-support/

I picked up a Fire TV box today on the Prime deal.  I've been running a stick, and haven't been unhappy, but I'd like to give the box a try to see how it compares.  I wonder about setting up a kids' build on the stick once the box arrives.

Got a Firestick today and have Kodi on it.   Watching something off Exodous now.  What are the must have channels or w/e, I don't really get this thing at all.

Got a Firestick today and have Kodi on it.   Watching something off Exodous now.  What are the must have channels or w/e, I don't really get this thing at all.
Start with a refreshed version of Kodi and download the Titanium build and you'll have everything you need in a neatly organized media center setup that is always being updated.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWyLmhsUQzc

It's time for Aerial Assault's Dumb Yearly Question!! 

So mostly because of this thread I got a Roku about 6-8 months ago and I flove it (we still have DirecTV, though, but both in combination are fantastic).  

I have Netflix and am currently in the midst of watching Daredevil S2, but am about to go on a long trip.  I only access Netflix through the Roku.  But I can download some app or go to Netflix's website or something and access the rest of the Daredevil episodes on my laptop, right?   :nerd:   :bag:  

I have Netflix and am currently in the midst of watching Daredevil S2, but am about to go on a long trip.  I only access Netflix through the Roku.  But I can download some app or go to Netflix's website or something and access the rest of the Daredevil episodes on my laptop, right?   :nerd:   :bag:  
Yes, you should be able to go directly to Netflix's webpage and watch. An alternative is to take the Roku with you along with and HDMI cable and hook it up to the hotel TV.

P.S. Loved Daredevil S2. I ripped through the whole season in less than a week!

Tick said:
I picked up a Fire TV box today on the Prime deal.  I've been running a stick, and haven't been unhappy, but I'd like to give the box a try to see how it compares.  I wonder about setting up a kids' build on the stick once the box arrives.
same here

Cool thanks.  I just put TItanium over what I already had.  That gonna cause me a problem down the line?
It may or may not.  Watch and see how it acts...if you start having issues (lots of buffering, app hangups, etc in Kodi), start over with a fresh reload of Kodi and add Titanium.

the one thing you need to get into a routine doing with the firestick and titanium is everytime you open it new, be sure to both Purge Packages and Clean Cache (on the Maintenance tab in titanium).  This will eliminate any buffering issues you may have for that viewing session.  It's just something Ive gotten use to doing everytime I open Kodi on the firestick.  Only takes a couple seconds.

It may or may not.  Watch and see how it act...if you start having issues, start over with a fresh reload of Kodi and add Titanium.

the one thing you need to get into a routine doing with the firestick and titanium is everytime you open it new, be sure to both Purge Packages and Clean Cache (on the Maintenance tab in titanium).  This will eliminate any buffering issues you may have for that viewing session.  It's just something Ive gotten use to doing everytime I open Kodi on the firestick.  Only takes a couple seconds.
Thanks again.  I see you can add favorites on Titanium, but I don't see where they show up.  Are they hidden somewhere?

I looked but I couldn't find it.  I'll look again when I have time...sorry
Cool, thanks for looking.

I keep getting .TDB wizard errors when I try to clear the cache, so I'm factory resetting and doing Titanium clean.  I can't help but think there are builds I like better out there, but this should work for a start.

Cool, thanks for looking.

I keep getting .TDB wizard errors when I try to clear the cache, so I'm factory resetting and doing Titanium clean.  I can't help but think there are builds I like better out there, but this should work for a start.
Theres another one out there called Horus that sounds pretty good and fairly stable.  If you keep up with Husham on Youtube, he reviews most everything out there.

So FireTV>>>>>>>>>>Firestick.  If you use your firestick regularly do yourself a favor, give it away and get a FireTV.  Searching and loading streams in Kodi takes like 4-5 seconds instead of 30.  Don't have to wait for things to load etc.  Better hardware obviously, but, probably gaining a lot utilizing the 5Hz wireless AC band too.  Looking at you @matttyl.  I've got 5 security cameras streaming video back to my HTPC over the 2.4hz band.  I checked my router and found 15 devices and counting.  It's nice having some of the new streaming devices AC compatible.

So FireTV>>>>>>>>>>Firestick.  If you use your firestick regularly do yourself a favor, give it away and get a FireTV.  Searching and loading streams in Kodi takes like 4-5 seconds instead of 30.  Don't have to wait for things to load etc.  Better hardware obviously, but, probably gaining a lot utilizing the 5Hz wireless AC band too.  Looking at you @matttyl.  I've got 5 security cameras streaming video back to my HTPC over the 2.4hz band.  I checked my router and found 15 devices and counting.  It's nice having some of the new streaming devices AC compatible.
sweeeet! Can't wait to get mine in now! :thumbup:  

Alright so noob issue. I install Kodi on my Fire Stick. Load Titanium, but after it extracts and it says it needs to force close, it freezes. Nothing. I can exit out to my fire home menu, and restart Kodi, but titanium is not loaded. 

Halp....

Nice.  I chose the slow shipping and have a business trip next week, so this is something for me to look forward to for next weekend.

Alright so noob issue. I install Kodi on my Fire Stick. Load Titanium, but after it extracts and it says it needs to force close, it freezes. Nothing. I can exit out to my fire home menu, and restart Kodi, but titanium is not loaded. 

Halp....
Do not exit Kodi after install of titanium. Unplug it and reboot. Might have to start over.

On fire stick do not exit Kodi after fresh start or build install. Always unplug and let it reboot. 

Halp....

You got the answer, but you don't really need to unplug it, you can just turn off the TV.  But yea, don't hit OK, power it down and it'll be on there when you reboot. 

Users who are viewing this thread