What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Allen Bradford (1 Viewer)

do all those fb's really count?
Tolbert, Hillis, and Ward (on his list) originally were FBs. I'm just being consistent.Remove the 3 hits and all the misses and the percentages don't really change.
Derrick Ward never played fb that i saw
Was considered a fullback originally. Example from olden days NFL transactions:
09-06-2004

Released quarterback Ricky Ray, cornerback Andrew Davison, defensive tackle Alan Harper, defensive back Omare Lowe, wide receiver Terrence Stubbs, defensive end Matt Walters, fullback Derrick Ward and guard Dave Yovanovits.
http://www.jetsinsider.com/transactions.php?offset=300&show=100&sort_col=&sort_col_desc=

Tolbert, Hillis, and Ward (on his list) originally were FBs. I'm just being consistent.Remove the 3 hits and all the misses and the percentages don't really change.
09-06-2004

Released quarterback Ricky Ray, cornerback Andrew Davison, defensive tackle Alan Harper, defensive back Omare Lowe, wide receiver Terrence Stubbs, defensive end Matt Walters, fullback Derrick Ward and guard Dave Yovanovits.
http://www.jetsinsider.com/transactions.php?offset=300&show=100&sort_col=&sort_col_desc=
Should we make a new thread for this? doesnt seem to be about bradford anymore and people are gonna be wondering why there is so much talk in here :lmao: It does bring up an interesting topic.I was cherrypicking info,but it was to make a point that just about anyone can emerge into a fantasy monster at this point and its not half as tough as it used to be.

Last edited by a moderator:
09-06-2004

that is all you can come up with?the guy ran for 2000 yards his senior year of college, don't see how he would be considered a fb

if that is the case, chalk charles scott and Ogbannaya (sp?) down as FB's too cause they are tweener types too. Maybe Miree too. echemandu also played some FB , quincy wilson as well: http://tuskerhouse.com/2009/10/07/rb-quincy-wilson-cut-wr-marcus-maxwell/

also, justin hamilton who you have listed played safety http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/player?id=9573&_slug_=justin-hamilton&action=upsell&appRedirect=http%3a%2f%2finsider.espn.go.com%2fnfl%2fdraft%2fplayer%3fid%3d9573%26_slug_%3djustin-hamilton

09-06-2004

that is all you can come up with?the guy ran for 2000 yards his senior year of college, don't see how he would be considered a fb

if that is the case, chalk charles scott and Ogbannaya (sp?) down as FB's too cause they are tweener types too. Maybe Miree too
That's all I need to come up with. Jets drafted him as a FB. The thread isn't about Ward anyway,Look, you guys knock yourselves out picking away at the statistics until you feel good about owning Bradford. I don't really care. Unless I'm the Blount owner and my RB roster is weak enough that I need a handcuff I'm not considering owning the guy. There are many options that give me a better potential payoff for valuable limited FF roster space. End of thread for me.

That's all I need to come up with. Jets drafted him as a FB. The thread isn't about Ward anyway,

Look, you guys knock yourselves out picking away at the statistics until you feel good about owning Bradford. I don't really care. Unless I'm the Blount owner and my RB roster is weak enough that I need a handcuff I'm not considering owning the guy. There are many options that give me a better potential payoff. End of thread for me.
not even that big of fan of Bradford- see my previous post. I am a fan of accurate information and you spouted out statistics that were inaccurate IMO when you include all these FB's in your statsNoah Herron is another FB- http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/2005/draft/players/60232.html

Cedric Humes also played there in college

does your 10% number hold weight?

2010 5 139 NYJ John Conner 2010 6 173 SFO Anthony Dixon 2010 6 174 WAS Dennis Morris 2010 6 180 JAX Deji Karim 2010 6 188 PIT Jonathan Dwyer 2010 6 193 GNB James Starks 2010 6 200 PHI Charles Scott 2010 7 237 MIN Ryan D'Imperio 2009 5 145 GNB Quinn Johnson 2009 5 169 PIT Frank Summers 2009 5 173 TEN Javon Ringer 2009 6 185 BAL Cedric Peerman 2009 6 192 DET Aaron Brown 2009 6 195 CLE James Davis 2009 6 209 CIN Bernard Scott 2009 7 211 STL Chris Ogbonnaya 2009 7 212 KAN Javarris Williams 2009 7 215 CIN Fui Vakapuna 2009 7 221 WAS Eddie Williams 2009 7 240 ARI LaRod Stephens-Howling 2009 7 250 JAX Rashad Jennings 2008 5 166 SDG Marcus Thomas 2008 5 146 DET Jerome Felton 2008 5 163 SEA Owen Schmitt 2008 6 172 ATL Thomas Brown 2008 6 176 MIA Jalen Parmele 2008 6 179 BUF Xavier Omon 2008 6 202 IND Mike Hart 2008 6 204 MIA Lex Hilliard 2008 7 213 JAX Chauncey Washington 2008 7 233 SEA Justin Forsett 2008 7 238 TAM Cory Boyd 2008 7 240 BAL Allen Patrick 2007 5 148 KAN Kolby Smith 2007 6 181 MIA Reagan Mauia 2007 6 187 SFO Thomas Clayton 2007 6 208 NWE Justise Hairston 2007 6 175 OAK Oren O'Neal 2007 6 185 DAL Deon Anderson 2007 7 228 GNB DeShawn Wynn 2007 7 236 PHI Nate Ilaoa 2007 7 244 ATL Jason Snelling 2007 7 246 TAM Kenneth Darby 2006 5 163 SEA David Kirtman 2006 6 170 HOU Wali Lundy 2006 6 180 CLE Lawrence Vickers 2006 6 195 CHI J.D. Runnels 2006 7 222 CLE Justin Hamilton 2006 7 240 PIT Cedric Humes 2006 7 246 TEN Quinton Ganther 2005 5 142 TEN Damien Nash 2005 5 158 BAL Justin Green 2005 6 182 NYJ Cedric Houston 2005 6 201 ATL DeAndra Cobb 2005 7 221 TAM Rick Razzano 2005 7 222 WAS Nehemiah Broughton 2005 7 236 BUF Lionel Gates 2005 7 243 IND Anthony Davis 2005 7 251 STL Madison Hedgecock 2005 7 244 PIT Noah Herron 2004 5 156 NOR Mike Karney 2004 5 162 PHI Thomas Tapeh 2004 6 191 TEN Troy Fleming 2004 7 208 CLE Adimchinobe Echemandu 2004 7 219 ATL Quincy Wilson 2004 7 241 TEN Sean McHugh 2004 7 242 PHI Bruce Perry 2004 7 247 DEN Brandon Miree
Good post. It looks like most of these were not drafted into a situation where there was a murky #1 RB situation. The reason people were high on recent picks like James Davis and James Starks is that the Cleveland and Green Bay situations seemed fairly open. It's worth noting that neither of the guys I mentioned panned out, either. If a team drafts a guy into a situation where he will be given a fair chance to compete, I'd like to get that guy on my roster. It's a lottery ticket. John Conner did not have a fair chance to compete - and he shared a backfield with Danny Woodhead, who got cut and became a substantial contributor for the Patriots. Will Bradford get a chance to compete? I don't know. I think it's going to be hard for any of the rookies to compete this year with the lockout screwing up minicamps, etc. It's encouraging to hear that he's working out with a teammate and learning the plays, but it's not the same as real coaching. I took him with a later rookie pick in a recent dynasty draft based solely on his situation, but I'm not wide eyed.

Bradford is a backup, I prefer backup Taiwan Jones with a late pick, if he isn't there, give me Royster or Todman, or switch positions and grab one of many late falling QB or TE's, or Pettis, Jernigan.. etc

Bradford is on my list for a fifth round pick, but only for a lack of better options. He's behind most everyone else.

Bradford is a backup, I prefer backup Taiwan Jones with a late pick, if he isn't there, give me Royster or Todman, or switch positions and grab one of many late falling QB or TE's, or Pettis, Jernigan.. etcBradford is on my list for a fifth round pick, but only for a lack of better options. He's behind most everyone else.
[/quoteTaiwan Jones & Bradford are going in much different spots in drafts.I see TJ going in the 2nd or early 3rd. Bradford is going 5-6.

Bradford is a backup, I prefer backup Taiwan Jones with a late pick, if he isn't there, give me Royster or Todman, or switch positions and grab one of many late falling QB or TE's, or Pettis, Jernigan.. etcBradford is on my list for a fifth round pick, but only for a lack of better options. He's behind most everyone else.
Taiwan Jones & Bradford are going in much different spots in drafts.I see TJ going in the 2nd or early 3rd. Bradford is going 5-6.
Then give me Royster or Todman, or Pettis, or Jernigan, or Mallett.. All 5th round guys or somewhere there around..My point is, that Bradford is an attractive pick after everyone else is gone, but not until then.I can however understand how someone might want to look at upside when picking in the 5th round, as slim as it is...

'werdnoynek said:
couch, humor us... who would you rather gamble on with a late round ff pick?
This is really the crux of the argument. It seems like folks are arguing against Bradford because he's only a pot-shot at best. But show me the 5th/6th rounds of any rookie draft in dynasty league where you're not sifting through muck at that point. All I see anyone saying is that we have a backup here with a similar skill-set to the starter. A starter who's only held that status for 200 attempts and has shown a proclivity for questionable behavior away from football. Hardly a scenario to scratch off your dynasty list.

'werdnoynek said:
This is really the crux of the argument. It seems like folks are arguing against Bradford because he's only a pot-shot at best. But show me the 5th/6th rounds of any rookie draft in dynasty league where you're not sifting through muck at that point. All I see anyone saying is that we have a backup here with a similar skill-set to the starter. A starter who's only held that status for 200 attempts and has shown a proclivity for questionable behavior away from football. Hardly a scenario to scratch off your dynasty list.
:yes: gamble is the key word. :goodposting:

'werdnoynek said:
The point I think the 'unexcited' folks are trying to make is that he's nothing to wet your pants over.. Yea he's best thing left at some point but if he was worth drooling over he wouldn't be left till mid 5th round...

<BR>

<BR>

'werdnoynek said:
<BR>couch, humor us... who would you rather gamble on with a late round ff pick?<BR>
<BR><BR>This is really the crux of the argument. It seems like folks are arguing against Bradford because he's only a pot-shot at best. But show me the 5th/6th rounds of any rookie draft in dynasty league where you're not sifting through muck at that point. All I see anyone saying is that we have a backup here with a similar skill-set to the starter. A starter who's only held that status for 200 attempts and has shown a proclivity for questionable behavior away from football. <BR><BR>Hardly a scenario to scratch off your dynasty list.<BR>
<BR><BR>The point I think the 'unexcited' folks are trying to make is that he's nothing to wet your pants over.. Yea he's best thing left at some point but if he was worth drooling over he wouldn't be left till mid 5th round...<BR>
so what you're saying is that you and the "unexcited" crowd have completely missed the point. i get it now....i dont see any wetting of pants or drooling over this guy in this thread. i think we're all aware he may not pan out and could flop, but as fantasy football addicts such as ourselves know... majority of these late rounders amount to nothing. so what. you suggest taking royster over him. i'd much rather have a guy like bradford with limited competition and a guy like blount in front of him over royster with an extremely ambiguous and crowded backfield in washington. that's just me. taking todman over him is just laughable.

09-06-2004

if that is the case, chalk charles scott and Ogbannaya (sp?) down as FB's too cause they are tweener types too. Maybe Miree too
That's all I need to come up with. Jets drafted him as a FB. The thread isn't about Ward anyway,Look, you guys knock yourselves out picking away at the statistics until you feel good about owning Bradford. I don't really care. Unless I'm the Blount owner and my RB roster is weak enough that I need a handcuff I'm not considering owning the guy. There are many options that give me a better potential payoff for valuable limited FF roster space. End of thread for me.
Now hold on a sec. You can't come to the discussion and prop your'e entire theory on saying that 90% of these low-drafted guys don't pan out and "that's not me guys, that's stats" and then completely dismiss stats when it doesn't suit you anymore.If these guys in here accept your stat that says he's likely not going to be impactful, then you should accept theirs.

Here's mine (in case anyone missed it early into the discussion):

Bradford and Blount STATISTICALLY are almost identical in size and timed speed and Bradford actually has better power and agility numbers in the cone drills, etc. So, Statistically, I don't know how anyone can categorically just say this guy has no chance and treat Blount like he is an automatic annual starter in this league when the facts are he hasn't been.

But the better question by far (and what really was the take off in the thread) is: Do you REALLY think you can criticize picking Bradford as a late flier in a rookie draft, given that he DOES have "statistically" very similar measureables to the guy that is doing the job right now? And better yet, for me since reading the article on him, doesn't he sound like a guy that has the right idea and is doing the right thing and working? If nothing else, Bradford doesn't have the history of doing things that result in him not playing anymore. We all know about Blount's college incident but he also punched a guy in Titan's camp. that's not the end of the world or anything..just saying if they have a lot of same attributes and one guy seems very well grounded and is behaving smartly, at the very least, we shouldn't just gloss over him without thinking about drafting him in the last round of a rookie draft.

If Blount is injured, who else is going to have that role? Caddy is gone. The other guys couldn't do it last year when Blount TOOK IT FROM THEM. None of us ahve the crystal balls but in an age where every year seems to produce a Tolbert, a Foster, a Torain, a Hillis, etc, I Just think its worth thinking about.

09-06-2004

http://www.jetsinsid...&sort_col_desc=

Now hold on a sec. You can't come to the discussion and prop your'e entire theory on saying that 90% of these low-drafted guys don't pan out and "that's not me guys, that's stats" and then completely dismiss stats when it doesn't suit you anymore.If these guys in here accept your stat that says he's likely not going to be impactful, then you should accept theirs.

Here's mine (in case anyone missed it early into the discussion):

Bradford and Blount STATISTICALLY are almost identical in size and timed speed and Bradford actually has better power and agility numbers in the cone drills, etc. So, Statistically, I don't know how anyone can categorically just say this guy has no chance and treat Blount like he is an automatic annual starter in this league when the facts are he hasn't been.

But the better question by far (and what really was the take off in the thread) is: Do you REALLY think you can criticize picking Bradford as a late flier in a rookie draft, given that he DOES have "statistically" very similar measureables to the guy that is doing the job right now? And better yet, for me since reading the article on him, doesn't he sound like a guy that has the right idea and is doing the right thing and working? If nothing else, Bradford doesn't have the history of doing things that result in him not playing anymore. We all know about Blount's college incident but he also punched a guy in Titan's camp. that's not the end of the world or anything..just saying if they have a lot of same attributes and one guy seems very well grounded and is behaving smartly, at the very least, we shouldn't just gloss over him without thinking about drafting him in the last round of a rookie draft.

If Blount is injured, who else is going to have that role? Caddy is gone. The other guys couldn't do it last year when Blount TOOK IT FROM THEM. None of us ahve the crystal balls but in an age where every year seems to produce a Tolbert, a Foster, a Torain, a Hillis, etc, I Just think its worth thinking about.
:thumbup: :goodposting:

<BR>

<BR>

'werdnoynek said:
<BR>couch, humor us... who would you rather gamble on with a late round ff pick?<BR>
<BR><BR>This is really the crux of the argument. It seems like folks are arguing against Bradford because he's only a pot-shot at best. But show me the 5th/6th rounds of any rookie draft in dynasty league where you're not sifting through muck at that point. All I see anyone saying is that we have a backup here with a similar skill-set to the starter. A starter who's only held that status for 200 attempts and has shown a proclivity for questionable behavior away from football. <BR><BR>Hardly a scenario to scratch off your dynasty list.<BR>
<BR><BR>The point I think the 'unexcited' folks are trying to make is that he's nothing to wet your pants over.. Yea he's best thing left at some point but if he was worth drooling over he wouldn't be left till mid 5th round...<BR>
so what you're saying is that you and the "unexcited" crowd have completely missed the point. i get it now....i dont see any wetting of pants or drooling over this guy in this thread. i think we're all aware he may not pan out and could flop, but as fantasy football addicts such as ourselves know... majority of these late rounders amount to nothing. so what. you suggest taking royster over him. i'd much rather have a guy like bradford with limited competition and a guy like blount in front of him over royster with an extremely ambiguous and crowded backfield in washington. that's just me. taking todman over him is just laughable.
Bradford is basically the last RB off the board (or one of the last 2-3).. And for a reason..When someone suggests that Bradford has "every down back", or "starter potential".. in a league of a million RB's, thats high praise. How many every down backs do we have in the league? Add that Bradford has not 1, but 2 threads of his own on the board here, and I'd say some folks are getting a little carried away.Royster is on a team without an established starter, or anyone near as note worthy as 2010 Blount.. An "extremely ambiguous" backfield is better for a newcomer than coming in behind a guy who ran over 1000 yards in 200 carries his rookie season. And if Blount would have been in camp with TB before the season started, I'd imagine weeks 1-5 would have looked a whole lot better for him.Todman is in a similar situation as Bradford. He is definitely a backup. But he has much more potential than Bradford if he can get playing time. And besides that, He's going before Bradford in most (if not all) Rookie drafts. So, I'm not the only one with this opinion..

Only 16 NFL RB's rushed for more yards then Blount in 2010, and Blount only had 10 carries before week 7

week 7-17 Blount averaged 17.36 carries per game, 88.82 yards per game, 5.12 yards per carry

Averaged into 16 games:

277 carries/1421 yards/7 TD's

AP only rushed for 1298..... And 745 yards from week 7-17 vs Blount's 977

Blount's job is going to be VERY hard to take...

Only Jamal Charles (1049) and Arian Foster (981) rushed for more yards between weeks 7 and 17 than Blount (977)

3rd best rusher in the league between weeks 7-17 in 2010.. Imagine if he was given the carries in weeks 1-6.....

Bradford is ... THE BACKUP....

<BR>

<BR>

'werdnoynek said:
Bradford is basically the last RB off the board (or one of the last 2-3).. And for a reason..When someone suggests that Bradford has "every down back", or "starter potential".. in a league of a million RB's, thats high praise. How many every down backs do we have in the league? Add that Bradford has not 1, but 2 threads of his own on the board here, and I'd say some folks are getting a little carried away.Royster is on a team without an established starter, or anyone near as note worthy as 2010 Blount.. An "extremely ambiguous" backfield is better for a newcomer than coming in behind a guy who ran over 1000 yards in 200 carries his rookie season. And if Blount would have been in camp with TB before the season started, I'd imagine weeks 1-5 would have looked a whole lot better for him.Todman is in a similar situation as Bradford. He is definitely a backup. But he has much more potential than Bradford if he can get playing time. And besides that, He's going before Bradford in most (if not all) Rookie drafts. So, I'm not the only one with this opinion..
:mellow: i swung and missed again. the cause has been lost.

Only 16 NFL RB's rushed for more yards then Blount in 2010, and Blount only had 10 carries before week 7

week 7-17 Blount averaged 17.36 carries per game, 88.82 yards per game, 5.12 yards per carry

Averaged into 16 games:

Only Jamal Charles (1049) and Arian Foster (981) rushed for more yards between weeks 7 and 17 than Blount (977)

3rd best rusher in the league between weeks 7-17 in 2010.. Imagine if he was given the carries in weeks 1-6.....

1. Is 16th in rushing suppose to be an impressive stat?...But, he was actually 17th(one yard behind BJGE LOL).2.Please dont do full season projections for a guy who hasn't gotten through one yet.

3.Dont compare Blount to Adrian Peterson in any way, shape or form.

4.Why is it going to be "very hard" to take his job? Plenty of guys have put up better numbers in the second half of the year and not held onto there jobs.

Averaged into 16 games:

The HUGE flip side of that coin though is Blount came in and played after all his competition had been grinding it out for two months. A lot of players tend to look good when they come in with fresh legs and with no injuries while everyone else in the league who is playing regularly is in an ice tub 4 days a week. Extrapolating the stats is fine but it comes with the caveat that UNTIL they show they can do it a whole season AND maintain that pace, then they have NEVER done it and shouldn't be assumed they can.

If Blount is injured, who else is going to have that role?
I don't know, and I would guess neither do the Bucs. We haven't had free agency yet. Everyone knows this, but I think people find it hard to believe that it may affect whichever player they are thinking about. There are a ton of players that have "opportunity" and are going to see that opportunity disappear whenever we have free agency. I really doubt the Bucs took Bradford and said, "Sweet, there's our backup tailback!" If a team rates players highly enough to be entrusted with the #2 role at RB, they don't wait till that late. This is more a larger point than just Bradford, but players that are taken that late in the draft, the team is looking for a special teams contributor that can fit in a spot where there is a hole on the roster. 4 safety, 5th LB, 3rd TE, etc.

Averaged into 16 games:

I don't think it's nearly that simple. Guys who took the league by storm their rookie years include Kevin Jones (1100+ yds, 4.7 ypc), Julius Jones (819 yds starting 7 games), Kevin Smith (976 yds starting 12 games), Steve Slaton (1282 yds, 4.8 ypc), there's a pretty long list of guys who have done well initially, especially ones who don't start the first few games and come into the middle part of the season with fresh legs, but fizzled out in subsequent years.

If you're arguing that Blount is a monumental talent who simply cannot be replaced that's one thing, but there's plenty of examples of players who lost their gigs after looking strong their first year.

Also, most teams feature more than one runningback these days. There's a possibility that Blount and Bradford share carries. Both could end up with value -- Blount may remain the "starter" but the term "backup" isn't what it used to be -- there could well be a RBBC in Tampa.

I think Blount is a good player but I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that Bradford gets enough carries to make him worth owning. I've seen him play in college and he was underutilized IMO. He's a pretty talented guy and a hard worker.

Averaged into 16 games:

I don't think it's nearly that simple. Guys who took the league by storm their rookie years include Kevin Jones (1100+ yds, 4.7 ypc), Julius Jones (819 yds starting 7 games), Kevin Smith (976 yds starting 12 games), Steve Slaton (1282 yds, 4.8 ypc), there's a pretty long list of guys who have done well initially, especially ones who don't start the first few games and come into the middle part of the season with fresh legs, but fizzled out in subsequent years.

If you're arguing that Blount is a monumental talent who simply cannot be replaced that's one thing, but there's plenty of examples of players who lost their gigs after looking strong their first year.

Also, most teams feature more than one runningback these days. There's a possibility that Blount and Bradford share carries. Both could end up with value -- Blount may remain the "starter" but the term "backup" isn't what it used to be -- there could well be a RBBC in Tampa.

I think Blount is a good player but I don't think it's beyond the realm of possibility that Bradford gets enough carries to make him worth owning. I've seen him play in college and he was underutilized IMO. He's a pretty talented guy and a hard worker.
Julius Jones - After several injuries pn 2004, his rookie season, including a fractured scapula, Jones suffered a high ankle sprain early in game 5 of 2005 that bothered him the entire season and was forced to sit out for 3 games. For the second straight year, Jones was considered to be injury prone and unable to carry the load of a franchise back. Rookie running back Marion Barber III turned in several strong performances in Julius' absence creating a running back controversy. 2006 After a strong start in which he gained 494 yards over the first five games, Jones saw his playing time decrease near the goal line and in the 4th quarter to Barber.Kevin Smith - After an near outstanding performance as a rookie, Smith destryed his knee in the following season (2009) after other hampering injuries during the off season. Finished the season after playing in only 5 games before the injury in week 9 against the Bills.

Kevin Jones - He was sidelined at the end of the 2006 season with a Lisfranc fracture. Jones, still working himself back from the Lisfranc fracture suffered in 2006, looked impressive early on in the season splitting carries during his first action as a starter in Week 7 and rushed for 105 yards on 23 carries and one touchdown in his second start Week. But Jones injured himself again, creating concern about his durability.

So, are we placing Blount in the category of these often injured players? Funny you choose to list only players that had serious or constant injury problems...

Averaged into 16 games:

1. Is 16th in rushing suppose to be an impressive stat?...But, he was actually 17th(one yard behind BJGE LOL).2.Please dont do full season projections for a guy who hasn't gotten through one yet.

3.Dont compare Blount to Adrian Peterson in any way, shape or form.

4.Why is it going to be "very hard" to take his job? Plenty of guys have put up better numbers in the second half of the year and not held onto there jobs.
1. I said only 16 RB's had more rushing yards.. I didn't say he was 16th in rushing.. And BJGE was able to do that with a full season worth of work. The impressive stat was that in the games he actually received carries in, weeks 7-17, he was #3 in rushing....

2. Projections are how we do this.. You new to this?

3. When the production compares, I will compare him to whoever needs be...

4. Care to name some? Lets try naming more guys that have done that and lost there jobs than have continued on with nice careers.. Also, lets try to use real production rather than comparing an un-injured Blount to many often injured other guys...

I do think the Bucs are in need of a starting RB, i just dont think Bradford is the answer. There is a pretty long list of RB's that will be available in FA, i have to think the Bucs will bring in someone to share the load with Blount. I could see Bradford vulturing some TD's, but he is no more an every down back than Blount.

Averaged into 16 games:

The HUGE flip side of that coin though is Blount came in and played after all his competition had been grinding it out for two months. A lot of players tend to look good when they come in with fresh legs and with no injuries while everyone else in the league who is playing regularly is in an ice tub 4 days a week. Extrapolating the stats is fine but it comes with the caveat that UNTIL they show they can do it a whole season AND maintain that pace, then they have NEVER done it and shouldn't be assumed they can.
"Grinding it out"?? What if I told you only 21 other RB's had more carries then Blount in 2010Of those 21, only 3 had a better YPC

Jamaal Charles - 6.4 on 230 carries

Darren McFadden - 5.2 on 223 carries

LeSean McCoy - 5.2 on 207 carries

LeGarrette Blount - 5.0 on 201 carries

And of all the RB's in the league who had better than 100 carries on the season, only 2 others (besides the ones listed above) had better YPC

Brandon Jacobs - 5.6 on 147 carries

Chris Ivory - 5.2 on 137 carries

So, in the 200 carries or better catagory, Blount is top 4 in YPC

and in the 100 carries or better, he's top 6 in YPC

So, as far as wear and tear goes, Blount was in the top 25 in carries. And had a better YPC then all but 3 of those..

I do think the Bucs are in need of a starting RB, i just dont think Bradford is the answer. There is a pretty long list of RB's that will be available in FA, i have to think the Bucs will bring in someone to share the load with Blount. I could see Bradford vulturing some TD's, but he is no more an every down back than Blount.
Why would you say Blount isn't an every down back? Curious..

For the "Blount may be injured crowd"

1) Can you please show me Blount's injury history, I haven't found a thing, college or pros... (maybe I missed something?)

2) Any RB can be thrust into playing time via injuries to the guys ahead of them. That isn't only a situation in Tampa..

He looks like he is playing in slow motion, he breaks alot of tackles, but it is on plays that most RB's wouldnt be touched. He has no wiggle, lacks breakaway speed, useless in the passing game, and for a guy that big he is not very effective in short yardage, I expect thats from his lack of burst. Maybe some of this is due to not having a good grasp of the offense, but i dont think it is going to make a big difference. He is hard to bring down once he gets going, but he needs alot of help from the oline to do that, and he isnt going very far once he does(ie, he wont be breaking any 70 yard TD runs).Kind of reminds me of Marshawn Lynch, just not as good.

Where are all the Kareem Huggins guys? There were 2 threads full of them last year..
:bye: Im one of the Kareem Huggins guys. I stand by what i said too, and Blounts success leads me to believe i would have been right had he stayed healthy. I knew someone was primed for a big season and Hiuggins looked like the guy after an impressive preseason.

He looks like he is playing in slow motion, he breaks alot of tackles, but it is on plays that most RB's wouldnt be touched. He has no wiggle, lacks breakaway speed, useless in the passing game, and for a guy that big he is not very effective in short yardage, I expect thats from his lack of burst. Maybe some of this is due to not having a good grasp of the offense, but i dont think it is going to make a big difference. He is hard to bring down once he gets going, but he needs alot of help from the oline to do that, and he isnt going very far once he does(ie, he wont be breaking any 70 yard TD runs).Kind of reminds me of Marshawn Lynch, just not as good.
He had one of the best YPC in the league (top 4 for RB's getting 200 carries or better).. :shrug: He broke off several nice runs last year. Seemed to do well in short yardage stuff as well. I wouldn't expect a guy his size to have a lot of wiggle. Not seeing what you saw...

Where are all the Kareem Huggins guys? There were 2 threads full of them last year..
:bye: Im one of the Kareem Huggins guys. I stand by what i said too, and Blounts success leads me to believe i would have been right had he stayed healthy. I knew someone was primed for a big season and Hiuggins looked like the guy after an impressive preseason.
In your opinion, wouldn't Huggins be ahead of Bradford as well?

He had one of the best YPC in the league (top 4 for RB's getting 200 carries or better).. :shrug: He broke off several nice runs last year. Seemed to do well in short yardage stuff as well. I wouldn't expect a guy his size to have a lot of wiggle. Not seeing what you saw...
Which of the things i said do you disagree with? If he did well in short yardage, why was he being taken out at the goalline for one of the worst running backs in the league. Nothing against Caddy, its a miracle he is even still playing, but he is no longer a capable NFL runner.I know he put up good numbers, which i think is due to his situation more than his talent, which is why i was optomisitic about Huggins after the preseason.

In your opinion, wouldn't Huggins be ahead of Bradford as well?
Going into 2011, no, that was a pretty bad knee injury, im not even sure he makes the team.

Averaged into 16 games:

"Grinding it out"?? What if I told you only 21 other RB's had more carries then Blount in 2010Of those 21, only 3 had a better YPC

And of all the RB's in the league who had better than 100 carries on the season, only 2 others (besides the ones listed above) had better YPC

So, in the 200 carries or better catagory, Blount is top 4 in YPC

So, as far as wear and tear goes, Blount was in the top 25 in carries. And had a better YPC then all but 3 of those..
Id say Ryan Grant is a fair comparison. A guy that played solid in a fantastic situation. Grant blew up the same way Blount did and had a very productive few years. But, the fact of the matter is Grant's production was based off that fact that teams were afraid of Favre and then Rodgers. So yes, IF Blount keeps his spot, he could be productive. But I also think a lot of guys could be productive in that situation given the shot.

Averaged into 16 games:

So, in the 200 carries or better category, Blount is top 4 in YPC

Id say Ryan Grant is a fair comparison. A guy that played solid in a fantastic situation. Grant blew up the same way Blount did and had a very productive few years. But, the fact of the matter is Grant's production was based off that fact that teams were afraid of Favre and then Rodgers. So yes, IF Blount keeps his spot, he could be productive. But I also think a lot of guys could be productive in that situation given the shot.
Grant did well up to last season, where he was then injured... If I remember correctly, he was also injured during his first season with the Giants as well. So, Grant would have started the entire 2010 season if not injured right? To this point, the only players Blount opposition bring to the table to discredit Blount, are injured players. And to this point, Blount hasn't shown to be injury prone..So, from weeks 7-17, Blount rushed for more yardage than every RB in the league aside from Jamal Charles and Arian Foster, had a better YPC then all but 3 RB's with 200 carries or more (McFadden, McCoy, Charles), and was in the top 25 in carries, and you answer with "A lot of guys could do that"?.....

After getting the carries he was top 3 in the league in rushing, that's not only because of the line.... TOP THREE

He looks like he is playing in slow motion, he breaks alot of tackles, but it is on plays that most RB's wouldnt be touched. He has no wiggle, lacks breakaway speed, useless in the passing game, and for a guy that big he is not very effective in short yardage, I expect thats from his lack of burst. Maybe some of this is due to not having a good grasp of the offense, but i dont think it is going to make a big difference. He is hard to bring down once he gets going, but he needs alot of help from the oline to do that, and he isnt going very far once he does(ie, he wont be breaking any 70 yard TD runs).

Kind of reminds me of Marshawn Lynch, just not as good.
Which of the things i said do you disagree with? If he did well in short yardage, why was he being taken out at the goalline for one of the worst running backs in the league. Nothing against Caddy, its a miracle he is even still playing, but he is no longer a capable NFL runner.I know he put up good numbers, which i think is due to his situation more than his talent, which is why i was optomisitic about Huggins after the preseason.
In this clip, 4 red zone TD's, 1 right on the goal line

Caddy has 2 rushing TD's on the season, and Graham has 1, Blount has 6

Seems like I can show you Blount getting touches in the red zone and on the goal line. And if they were taking him out in that area to supplement Caddy or Graham, seems like that was a bad idea wouldn't you say? But I believe these stats and footage disprove your theory there.

As far as 70 yard TD's go, if you're going to measure a good RB by how many 70 yrd TD's he has, then you're not going to be left with many RB's...

Wiggle? In the clip above I thought Blount showed very nice moves for a player his size, certainly better than you describe. Very nice moves for a 250 pounder...

You said he was not effective in short yardage, you also said he wasn't going to break any long runs.. in the highlight vid he had a 50 yarder.. He also showed well in picking up yards after contact. Not sure what to say to you here. Sounds like you missed watching him completely. If he was bad in short yardage, and couldn't break any long runs, how in heavens name did he have the 4-6th best YPC in the league? And who was that in the video wearing his #?

You said he lacks burst and looked like he was playing in slow motion, I've watched him play and I disagree, He absolutely has burst, and I think some of that is evident in the highlight clips. He isn't as fast as the smaller guys after hitting the second level, but the guy is approaching 250lbs, what do you expect from a guy that big? He has more long runs and a better YPC then anyone else that size in the league.

From my view:

- Nice patients and vision (esp for a rookie)

- Nice Burst

- Nice moves

- Great balance

- Very hard to bring down

- He doesn't have break away speed, but I don't think anyone expects that from a guy his size.

- I'd like to see him catching more balls. He caught 5 in weeks 7-17. But yet Turner only had 12 on the season and didn't catch more than 6 balls a year in any of his first 6 seasons. And FYI Turner never had better than a 4.5 YPC in any season he received 100 touches or more.

Blount had a very nice year in 2010 and is certainly the projected starter for 2011 baring an unforeseen injury. Injuries are often unforeseen however and the League has shown this to be true time and again. Mathew Stafford can't stay on the field, Ronnie Brown's career has been riddled by injury, Austin Collie suffered from concussions last year, Brandon Jacobs has been slowed by nagging injuries, Hakeem Nicks, Peyton Hillis, Willis McGhee the list goes on and on. It doesn't take a player with an injury history to lose games in the pros; it just takes the right/wrong hit.

I don't see Tampa Bay going out and spending money on a free agent. This is not a team that throws money around and can't fill the seats on Sunday. They will tape up Caddy, Graham and Higgins, see if Bradford shows anything in training camp and pick over the bones off the camp waiver wires (as they did with Blount).

I think what the Bucs saw in Bradford was a big runner with some up side who came cheep late in the draft. They spent their money on defense early, took a shot on an up-side TE and are gambling that Bradford will bring a similar running style to the offense if Blount suffers an injury. Predicting an injury isn't always a wise thing to do but planning for that eventuality is.

Where are all the guys who mocked people who suggested Derrick Ward would be cut by the Bucks last year ;) The way you talk it's like you've never, ever been wrong. But you have been. We all have. I actually think Blount is underrated this year, but I do think there is opportunity for Bradford to get some touches and I also think he'll be the primary backup -- he has a similar skill set. Seems like every year there are a couple of guys who are deep dynasty stashes that people like to talk about. This year Bradford is one of them. I have Blount in one league and just traded a '12 3rd for Bradford. That's where I'd put his value, at least for me.

'Carolina Hustler said:
'Go deep said:
'Carolina Hustler said:
'Go deep said:
'Carolina Hustler said:
'Go deep said:
He looks like he is playing in slow motion, he breaks alot of tackles, but it is on plays that most RB's wouldnt be touched. He has no wiggle, lacks breakaway speed, useless in the passing game, and for a guy that big he is not very effective in short yardage, I expect thats from his lack of burst. Maybe some of this is due to not having a good grasp of the offense, but i dont think it is going to make a big difference. He is hard to bring down once he gets going, but he needs alot of help from the oline to do that, and he isnt going very far once he does(ie, he wont be breaking any 70 yard TD runs).

Kind of reminds me of Marshawn Lynch, just not as good.
I didnt mean he was always pulled at the goalline, just that he was pulled alot for Caddy. Blount only had 2 TD runs inside the 5.

Also, of course a few minute highlight clip is going to make a player look good. Im not talking about the things he lacks in a highlight clip, im talking about what i see when i watch a Bucs game. I could find a clip of a John Kuhn making a nice move, that doent mean he has wiggle. I could get some highlights of Spiller breaking some tackles, that doesnt mean he runs with power. I could find a clip of any RB breaking a 40-50 yard run, that doesnt mean they have breakaway speed. I think you get the point. Either way, we can agree to disagree about Blount, i could be wrong, it has happened before.

Averaged into 16 games:

"Grinding it out"?? What if I told you only 21 other RB's had more carries then Blount in 2010
I think you missed the point entirely. Its not a comparison of Blount vs. other RBs. Its a comparison of Blount BEGINNING playing with fresh legs against other team's LBers, DEs, DTs, CBs, Safeties, etc that have been playing real games for two months. It is simply not the same to look at a guy's partial season productivity and assume that you can extrapolate those numbers out with an assumed result.Football, more than any other sport is one that is HIGHLY affected by attrition and wear and tear. So, when Blount comes in and plays on very fresh legs and has not been banged up for 8 weeks BUT is playing against defensive guys that DO have bangs and bruises and are coming off of 8 straight weeks of being mauled by 330 pound linemen each week; its simply not the same. How a guy can run when he is completely healthy and is injury free is not anything like what they can usually do with half a season of wear and tear on them.

In some ways its like when you watch a basketball game and a bench player comes in during game 4 of a series and is just crazy productive for a few games. That doesn't mean he is that good and we see it all the time; it is short lived. After all, there is a reason why the guy IS a bench player. What it simply means is that he's a pro with some skill and against players that are tired (or when the game is out of hand and people in general aren't trying as hard), the guy can do some things. But as we see the VAST majority of the time, you take that same guy that has that extra freshness and energy and you put him up against guys that are equally as fresh (or equally as motivated in a game) and that player's production is usually nowhere near the same.

I think anyone who has played in league sports with long seasons can appreciate the point: that as a season goes on and the grind sets in, you generally have some peaks and valleys and you definitely notice a difference when facing competition that is fresher/more tired.

I think you missed the point entirely. Its not a comparison of Blount vs. other RBs. Its a comparison of Blount BEGINNING playing with fresh legs against other team's LBers, DEs, DTs, CBs, Safeties, etc that have been playing real games for two months.
Such nonsense. Two of Blount's best games were in weeks 15 (15-115-1) and 16 (18-164) when he had been starting for 2 months (and practicing just like everyone else all season), most rookies had hit the rookie wall, and by the way his OL had been playing as many months as the defenses. I'm sure you'll counter with some "reasoning" about the defenses still playing longer, but the bottom line is you guys don't think 191-977-5 (5.11 YPC) over 11 games means anything simply because he was a UDFA. If he were a 1st round pick you'd be gushing over him. He led the freaking league in broken tackles though starting just 10 games, and the next closest guy had 100 more carries. Blount has proven himself at the NFL level and his job is secure, but any excuse to discount Blount and prop up Bradford is what you guys want, so good luck to you. There's no point in any more discussing it. I'm not wasting any more time in this thread, not even reading responses, because it's become damn joke.

I think you missed the point entirely. Its not a comparison of Blount vs. other RBs. Its a comparison of Blount BEGINNING playing with fresh legs against other team's LBers, DEs, DTs, CBs, Safeties, etc that have been playing real games for two months.
Such nonsense. Two of Blount's best games were in weeks 15 (15-115-1) and 16 (18-164) when he had been playing 2 months (and practicing just like everyone else all season), most rookies have hit the rookie wall, and by the way his OL had been playing as many months as the defenses. I'm sure you'll counter with some "reasoning" about the defenses still playing longer, but the bottom line is you guys don't think 191-977-5 (5.11 YPC) over 11 games means anything simply because he was a UDFA. If he were a 1st round pick you'd be gushing over him. Blount has proven himself at the NFL level and his job is secure, but any excuse to discount Blount and prop up Bradford is what you guys want, so good luck to you. There's no point in any more discussing it. I'm not wasting any more time in this thread, not even reading responses, because it's become damn joke.
Against Detroit and Seattle. Althogh i would argue that his 120 yard, 2 TD game against Arizona was his best game. Either way, he has feasted on terrible defenses. Not sure i would expect similar numbers this season, especially without the NFC West on their schedule(against those 4 teams he had 77 carries, 438 yards, for 5.7 YPC).

Also factor in that blount is the kind of back that should be avoided in ppr scoring. If you rarely catch a pass in ppr, the pressure is on to rush for 100 + yards or a score or two each week because other guys are catching 3+ passes.

I'm a Blount owner in a very high buy in and I'm leery of him, he's almost too athletic for his own good. Even going back to early College years for a player his size he's been hurdling defenders and flailing his body around. I've not seen a player of his size/ athleticism to compare him to, but he needs to use his size much more efficiently especially in short yardage situations, or I fear a quick visit to the trainers table for him. As for Bradford, he has great measurables but until we see him do something at this level he's a great handcuff for the Blount owners as his competition is pretty sparse for what he brings to the Bucs roster.

Users who are viewing this thread