What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Greg Olsen signs with Seattle; with rumors to start rap career with Macklemore (1 Viewer)

Greg Olsen wouldn't rule out holding out of training camp in hope of a new contract.
Let's also try not to forget that he's 32 years old and last missed a game(well, actually 2) a DECADE ago and has been on the Panthers since Cam was drafted six years ago. My point being there wasn't a whole lot he was going to get out of training camp in the first place other than possibly get injured. If the Panthers were smart they would encourage him to "hold out" and rest with a wink and a not and maybe even throw him a few incentives. He's earned them already.

The problem is that Martz will be gone in a year or so. So then the Bears will be running a conventional offense, that will need a TE. The will get nothing in compensation for him. And the WRs that fit Martz's system, don't necessarily fit in other systems. So they will largely have to retool when Martz is gone, and he will go. And then they will be looking for a good TE. This is a team with very few playmakers. Olsen is a playmaker. You don't just give those away.
Great all way back when

Weird this guy doesn’t have a dedicated thread.

Anyway...it’s go time.

Thoughts / predictions on this week & ROS? 

Weird this guy doesn’t have a dedicated thread.

Anyway...it’s go time.

Thoughts / predictions on this week & ROS? 
I agree...

I see most "experts" are tempering his first game back in their rankings and projections - like 3 or 4 catches for 30-40 yards or so. They have him around 8-12 TE for the week.

Who would go out on a limb and predict anything more than that?

Well, CAR is playing better and Olsen will be a major factor as Benjamin is gone and Funchess still doing his thing. Cam has his security blanket and since Olsen is healthy...correct, then there is no reason he doesn't produce like a top tier TE #1. 

Plugging him in immediately Sunday over Kyle Rudolph on Thanksgiving Day. Probably a mistake, but gotta roll with Greg!

Not sure whether to start him over Evan Engram. Thinking I'll just flex him but that means I'm benching DeMarco Murray, Juju, and Corey Coleman for him. 

This has the makings of what could be a nice week for Olsen.  1st week back from injury.  Coming back home to play in North Jersey with friends and family probably in attendance.  No Kelvin Benjamin.  Last time he played in the meadowlands he had 6-79 and a touchdown, so hoping for similar this week.

This has the makings of what could be a nice week for Olsen.  1st week back from injury.  Coming back home to play in North Jersey with friends and family probably in attendance.  No Kelvin Benjamin.  Last time he played in the meadowlands he had 6-79 and a touchdown, so hoping for similar this week.
The only downside is the risk of a snap count. We don't know how healthy his foot is right now nor do we know how cautious the team wants to be since they're not exactly in desperation win-now mode. 

Not sure how anyone would he starting him this week unless you really just had no choice
Why do you say that? I mean, I get that’s conventional wisdom; don’t start a guy first week back. But this isn’t Woodhead.

We've received regular updates on his progress the whole time he was injured. It’s been a very transparent situation (contrasted with the Lions, who don’t even allow injured players to speak with the media.) He went hard on Monday in a special agility workout to make sure he had no limitations.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not in football shape and out of rhythym.  Bench for me unless i have a bunch of crap to choose from.  

Also, not like its rodgers, brady, or brees throwing it here.

Just screams dud to me

Anyway, looks like most respectable (i.e., FBGs,  Harris) services have him around TE5-8ish this week, TE6 ROS. That’s generally behind Gronk, Kelce, Ertz, Engram, Graham, same tier as Cook/Doyle/Rudolph, ahead of Hunter/ASJ/Walker/Witten.

The only downside is the risk of a snap count. We don't know how healthy his foot is right now nor do we know how cautious the team wants to be since they're not exactly in desperation win-now mode. 

Not sure how anyone would he starting him this week unless you really just had no choice
Completely agree that there is risk with starting him.  I'm starting him over Jason Witten and Julius Thomas, so not really a big deal.  He's not a lock for big points, but as I mentioned earlier, has a few things going this week that could work in his favor.  That said, I wouldn't suggest starting him over players with a higher floor until we see how he looks.  

Have both he and Doyle...I’ve gone back and forth in which one.  Doyle may be the safer play I go with.

Currently have him in over Jack Doyle.  With Benjamin gone, I would think he becomes the defacto #1 target.  He has shown great chemistry with Cam in the past.... am I missing something here.

the only thing you're missing is snap count and how well he can move.  i'm not as much worried about how his foot feels because he is one of the toughest in the game and will play hard through anything, but i just hope he's not on some sort of snap count.  if he plays 100% of the snaps he should be in lineups everywhere

Deciding between Vernon Davis, good matchup vs. Greg Olsen, who is ranked lower? I'm leaning Olsen... against conventional wisdom. Contrarian!

Currently have him in over Jack Doyle.  With Benjamin gone, I would think he becomes the defacto #1 target.  He has shown great chemistry with Cam in the past.... am I missing something here.
Yes.  You are missing that the defense knows he is the #1 target.   Also, he is not at his normal form yet.  

Bad combo

I'm sitting him for Kyle Rudolph and not thinking twice about it.  Might end up costing me, but I have a suspicion that he'd be somewhat limited this week so that they're really to really roll him out full speed next week in a huge game against the Saints.  They should be able to beat the Jets without Olsen playing all or even most of the snaps.

Deciding between Vernon Davis, good matchup vs. Greg Olsen, who is ranked lower? I'm leaning Olsen... against conventional wisdom. Contrarian!
Me too, but I also have Jared Cook in the mix.  Will need to drop one once Olsen comes out of the IR spot.  Vernon Davis has sweet matchup vs. Giants, and Chris Thompson is no longer there to steal targets.  Jared Cook has sweet Broncos matchup this week and sweet Giants matchup next week.  Olsen has the tougher schedule, but should be the #1 target in Carolina, while Cook is #3 and Davis I'm not sure about.  Tough call.

Yes.  You are missing that the defense knows he is the #1 target.   Also, he is not at his normal form yet.  

Bad combo
Because Funchess has been garbage?  You're making some big assumptions.   He didn't seem to do so bad last time Benjamin was gone.  Tempered expectations should be in store, but when your only other option is Hunter Henry or WW garbage, it's not a bad play.  Olsen is a proven commodity, and his upside is a better play than those that I spoke of.

I’ve got Greg Vernon and Jack.  Thinking of starting one at flex but not sure I can do it over alf, devante, or Marvin.  Not a wdis just showing my decision barometer on Greg.  Also, asking for a friend, who would you start? 

I’ve got Greg Vernon and Jack.  Thinking of starting one at flex but not sure I can do it over alf, devante, or Marvin.  Not a wdis just showing my decision barometer on Greg.  Also, asking for a friend, who would you start? 
From logic start V Davis at TE and Alfred Morris in the Flex. I'm going Olsen > Davis against the grain, and would go Alf with hope and reservations...simply the best choice amongst those you listed by a wide margin. Yet, we all know anything can happen in the world of fantasy...and it doesn't matter what Devante you are referring too either.

• Smile
Reactions: SCT
Team Smokin' said:
From logic start V Davis at TE and Alfred Morris in the Flex. I'm going Olsen > Davis against the grain, and would go Alf with hope and reservations...simply the best choice amongst those you listed by a wide margin. Yet, we all know anything can happen in the world of fantasy...and it doesn't matter what Devante you are referring too either.
Awesome thanks. While I have you here, would you start any of those guys over Ajayi?

Awesome thanks. While I have you here, would you start any of those guys over Ajayi?
Oh boy, I'm not really high on Ajayi either. Seems to fall in the Alf category of mid-tier plays. See what Bloom would do? Alf gets maybe 0-1 reception and Ajayi perhaps 1. Both of these guys are like RB #3's at this point. Same goes for your WR's. I'd prefer a RB > WR with all things being equal. TE plays are generally lower expectations and less involved unless you have a clear TE #1. V Davis seems to be getting a lot of love this week as a TE #5-7 overall this week. 

SproutDaddy said:
Because Funchess has been garbage?  You're making some big assumptions.   He didn't seem to do so bad last time Benjamin was gone.  Tempered expectations should be in store, but when your only other option is Hunter Henry or WW garbage, it's not a bad play.  Olsen is a proven commodity, and his upside is a better play than those that I spoke of.
I just said if you have terrible options then play him.

The people thinking of benching vernon davis, doyle, and walker are crazy IMO.

Now, I realize this is basic, but some sites still have IR label on Olsen? Has that been officially removed? Is he definitely playing this week against the JETS?

Now, I realize this is basic, but some sites still have IR label on Olsen? Has that been officially removed? Is he definitely playing this week against the JETS?
Not officially activated last I saw. Supposed to play but I don't know that you can say 100% for sure

I don't even blink at starting him over Doyle.

Not sure about over Davis - NYG has been bad against TE
Yeah I'm starting Davis over Olsen this week. I need a safe high floor. Will see how many snaps Olsen plays and consider starting him next week.

Steelers4Life said:
I'm sitting him for Kyle Rudolph and not thinking twice about it.  Might end up costing me, but I have a suspicion that he'd be somewhat limited this week so that they're really to really roll him out full speed next week in a huge game against the Saints.  They should be able to beat the Jets without Olsen playing all or even most of the snaps.
Good decision

Rolling with him over option s such as...

Mike Davis, McKissic, John Brown, Riss Shepard, and Julius Thomas in a TE premium league. Not expecting great things but would kill for a TD or 50 yards

Rolling with him over option s such as...

Mike Davis, McKissic, John Brown, Riss Shepard, and Julius Thomas in a TE premium league. Not expecting great things but would kill for a TD or 50 yards
Me, too. Rolled with him over Kyle Rudolph. Sigh.

Team Smokin' said:
Rolled with Olsen over V Davis and feel confident he leaves off where he left. Cam might even try to find him a bone!
Well he only had something like 3 catches in 2 games before he got injured.

But, I think he be stud down the way. There’s only a handful of guys I’d start over him this week and moving froward. 

Users who are viewing this thread