What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Insight (1 Viewer)

haterade

Footballguy
No bragging, whining, or snarkiness allowed.

What thing(s) about a specific performance did you notice when watching in week1 that would be valuable for others to know, and isn't necessarily apparent from the statline.

I'll start:

Arizona's pass defense is even more inexperienced and awful than expected. Many are saying AZ sold out against the run, but that's simply not the whole story. Temper expectations for Cam Newton and Steve Smith... start QBs and WRs playing against AZ. Bump Fitz. Arizona is the new Houston, and there will be shootouts to be had.

That a lot of fantasy titles will be going to the teams that figure out each week's shootouts. The algorithms Belichick/McDaniels worked out five yrs ago to expose coverages have been semi-imitated by some OCs and it's flat out unstoppable. Shutdown corners seem to be the only thing in the way of a total bustout & will soon be as valuable as franchise QBs.

I learned the days of having stud fantasy RBs and a mediocre WR corps as a winning formula are over.

I learned that Kickers are going to sky the ball to the goaline and let their coverage team tackle players at the 12.

Every season the NFL gets more and more pass happy, RBs are really over rated in terms of importance in real NFL games. The strategy of waiting on a QB in fantasy drafts that I've been using is probably over, it's going to be extremely difficult to win in fantasy this year and beyond without a top 5 QB. The NFL is now a better version of the arena football league.

No bragging, whining, or snarkiness allowed.What thing(s) about a specific performance did you notice when watching in week1 that would be valuable for others to know, and isn't necessarily apparent from the statline.I'll start:Arizona's pass defense is even more inexperienced and awful than expected. Many are saying AZ sold out against the run, but that's simply not the whole story. Temper expectations for Cam Newton and Steve Smith... start QBs and WRs playing against AZ. Bump Fitz. Arizona is the new Houston, and there will be shootouts to be had.
I disagree... they were blitzing the entire game.. which left Steve Smith in a lot of 1 vs 1 coverage.... Cam Newton just played exceptionally well, and made the right decisions for the majority of the game while being blitzed.. lets see how he does vs Green Bay before we temper our expectationsas for Arizona's defense.. I wouldn't call them horrible just yet.. they only allowed 21 points.. and caused a turnover for a TD... they did pretty well in Fantasy Terms....give them a few more weeks to see how they do ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't totally agree with the RB thing. "If" SJax doesn't hurt his quad and runs the ball 30 times, the Rams beat the Eagles. They had no answer for SJax. He is a man beast. Too bad he gets dinged so often.

Rex Grossman throws a good looking deep ball.

Chad Henne has one of the least convincing play action passes I have seen. He doesn't throw particularly well in the red zone either.

Patriots 1st round pick Nate Solder looks like he'll be a good one.

He was forced into duty at RT after a college career as LT, facing a high motor, speed end in Cam Wake. Wake did get a sack, but on replay it looked like a stunt where Solder had outside protection and Wake went inside. For most of the game, Wake was a non-factor.

Solder is an un-sexy pick, but looks like he'll be another piece to keep the Patriots strong on the line for years to come.

That a lot of fantasy titles will be going to the teams that figure out each week's shootouts. The algorithms Belichick/McDaniels worked out five yrs ago to expose coverages have been semi-imitated by some OCs and it's flat out unstoppable. Shutdown corners seem to be the only thing in the way of a total bustout & will soon be as valuable as franchise QBs.
I agree and think it makes fantasy QBs even less valuable. My 12 team waiver wire has at least 4 multiple TD QBs, a 300 yarder, a 400 yarder, etc.

Every season the NFL gets more and more pass happy, RBs are really over rated in terms of importance in real NFL games. The strategy of waiting on a QB in fantasy drafts that I've been using is probably over, it's going to be extremely difficult to win in fantasy this year and beyond without a top 5 QB. The NFL is now a better version of the arena football league.
It seems to me like the exact opposite conclusion is warranted. Everyone and their sister is passing for 300 yards and multiple TDs.

Either Lance Kendricks is not as good as we thought he was or the rookie Philly LBs are better than we expected.

Number of targets is something to keep a close eye on and is a better measure of how a WR or TE might perform going forward. TDs are hard to predict.

CLE may be a version of "NE lite" with Watson and Moore playing Gronk and Hernandez....I think there are some points to be had there...

I haven't seen enough of D. Thomas to know if he could help the running game in Miami when healthy....but if things stay status quo, Henne will be throwing a ton and I think Marshall has a monster year.....Fasano might have some value as a bye week filler...

Ben will bounce back in a big way....PIT and BAL will produce some pretty solid fantasy stats the rest of the way, maybe until they play each other again in week 9....and after week 9 their offensive players may be a big part of many fantasy championships...

Plax may have a much bigger year than many of us thought....

even when everybody is healthy....Tate's presence could cost Foster owners the top3 stats they may have been counting on....

Hillis is still the focal point in CLE.....sorry Hardesty owners...

GB should shop J. Jones to see what they can get....he seems expendable in that offense especially with Cobb around for awhile....

Either Lance Kendricks is not as good as we thought he was or the rookie Philly LBs are better than we expected.
Here's your answer.
He's definitely a buy low in dynasty. In redraft why were you starting a Y1 TE W1 exactly? He made a bad drop and the team went away from him. That doesn't make him a bad player. Putting Mathews in at MLB allows the Eagles to put their best LB (Chaney) on the TE. We already knew Chaney was a good player.

Am thinking this game is an anomoly that u throw out. PHI is a great team.....Bradford was in a maelstrom the entire second half. Losing SJAX didnt help. Kendricks and the other receivers all dropped multiple catchable balls. Did he have a crap game? Yes...He is a rookie. He is going to learn from these mistakes. I just think its premature to right him off at this point. Just my two cents.

Sorry for the threadjack but I've never heard of this before (and I feel like I read plenty). Is there a link you can share? Thanks.

The Bears cover 2 zone defense says :bye: What I did learn (ironically in response to this specific post - as it is just about the opposite) - spending a ton of money on a shutdown corner is pointless if you don't put other good players around him, as he can truly only shut down one guy (in man) - and in zone, he really can't take away an entire half of the field. And even when he does, a good WR can still lose him eventually (i.e. a pass rush is needed).

Summary - say what you want about shut down corners, elite WRs, the game is still won and lost in two place (and in this order): the trenches and the QB.

Am thinking this game is an anomoly that u throw out. PHI is a great team.....Bradford was in a maelstrom the entire second half. Losing SJAX didnt help. Kendricks and the other receivers all dropped multiple catchable balls. Did he have a crap game? Yes...He is a rookie. He is going to learn from these mistakes. I just think its premature to right him off at this point. Just my two cents.
The one ball that he dropped would have been a 40+ yd TD and you guys would have thought he was the best thing since sliced bread.

- People shouldn't panic about Mendenhall's performance vs. Baltimore. Pittsburgh had a ridiculous amount of turnovers (7), which in turn forced them to abandon their running game. That's not going to happen again this year (7 turnovers).

- Jamaal Charles owners shouldn't panic either. He had the worst type of game possible (fumble, no RAC, his team was blown out), and still scored double digit points.

- The Philly run defense will be a great matchup for opposing fantasy rb's this season.

- If you have to pick one, Ryan Matthews is the rb you want on the Chargers.

- Atlanta is not nearly as bad as they looked, and Chicago is not nearly as good as they looked. The Bears recovered 5 fumbles in their victory. The Falcons were incredibly unlucky in that game.

- Brandon Lloyd owners should pick up Decker as insurance if they have roster space.

- No one has a better shot than McFadden at ending up the #1 scoring rb this season, now that he's finally in an offensive scheme that suits his running style.

- People shouldn't panic about Mendenhall's performance vs. Baltimore. Pittsburgh had a ridiculous amount of turnovers (7), which in turn forced them to abandon their running game. That's not going to happen again this year (7 turnovers).

- Jamaal Charles owners shouldn't panic either. He had the worst type of game possible (fumble, no RAC, his team was blown out), and still scored double digit points.

- The Philly run defense will be a great matchup for opposing fantasy rb's this season.

- If you have to pick one, Ryan Matthews is the rb you want on the Chargers.

- Atlanta is not nearly as bad as they looked, and Chicago is not nearly as good as they looked. The Bears recovered 5 fumbles in their victory. The Falcons were incredibly unlucky in that game.

- Brandon Lloyd owners should pick up Decker as insurance if they have roster space.

- No one has a better shot than McFadden at ending up the #1 scoring rb this season, now that he's finally in an offensive scheme that suits his running style.
Why is that? If they're splitting carries and one is getting the goal line carries, it seems pretty obvious that at the end of the day the guy getting the same number of touches, including the goal line carries, is the guy that will end up with the better numbers. That was the scouting report going in and week one was a perfect demonstration. If you TAKE AWAY the 3 TDs, Tolbert had roughly the same points as Mathews. I have them both and until Mathews proves he can get into the endzone, I'm going with Tolbert.

Even though he only had two receptions, I think it's worth dog-earing Antonio Brown's 9 targets last week. The Steelers saw enough in the pre-season that they want to get him the ball. I think the big plays are coming.

Even though he only had two receptions, I think it's worth dog-earing Antonio Brown's 9 targets last week. The Steelers saw enough in the pre-season that they want to get him the ball. I think the big plays are coming.
I think with Brown it goes beyond just the preseason. If I recall correctly he had some clutch catches in both the divisional playoff and the AFC Championship game last year. Didn't put up huge numbers (Ben struggled quite a bit I seem to remember), but made some huge plays. I think he could break out at some point this season.

This totally nails a lot of areas. Kudos!

The TE position is really evolving and the 2 TE offense may start to gain steam. Obviously NE is on the forefront of the movement but we're starting to see it in places like Baltimore, Cleveland, St. Louis, San Fran, etc.

With the right physical talents at the position, it makes it extremely hard for the defense to defend both the run and pass.

I think we're going to start seeing the hybrid types go higher and higher in the NFL draft and in fantasy drafts.

Users who are viewing this thread