What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jerry Sandusky accused of child molestation (2 Viewers)

I can't see that stadium even being 1/4th full. I find it difficult to believe that more than a select # of people will wake up that day and head out to the stadium for a day of football.

Any DCguys listen to Lavar and Dukes yesterday? Just wondering if Lavar Arrington discussed this.
Lavar was on ESPN this am. He essentially said he was reserving judgement until the trial comes out.
Lavar speaks his mind
"I always saw [sandusky] giving back, I always saw him as being a part of the community, I always saw him working with kids and caring about them,'' Arrington said on his radio program. Arrington is married with four kids.

"So when I heard about this information, when all of these allegations hit … it totally, and when I say totally, it totally took me off-guard. I was moved to tears. I looked at my children.''

"I know Mike [McQueary]. Mike was my quarterback,'' Arrington said.

"I know him. So I'm trying to understand, how do you, and again, maybe he felt as though it would be better suited if it came from Coach Paterno. … I'm going to tell you right now, I gotta stop that [assault].

"Even if it's, 'Coach [sandusky], I gotta stop you. … I gotta take this to Coach Paterno right now'. This is not good, oh my gosh, this is not good.''

Arrington added: "The natural instinct that would kick in, if I saw a child being violated, and I don't care who they are, I don't care who the person is that would be doing that. If you're an adult and you are violating a child, all reputations, all everything, all that goes out the door.

"If that was Coach Paterno, like, 'Coach, what are you doing? … You gotta come, you gotta come sit your [butt] down right here, I'm calling the cops'.''

"The reason why I wanted to talk about it as a former player of Penn State and someone who I feel has represented our institution in the highest manner that I possibly can … um, it's about the kids,'' Arrington said.

"And it needs to be discussed and it needs to be talked about.''

Added Arrington: "Innocent or not, this is just … it's just bad.''

Now we have some evidence suggesting that Sandusky was a molester and Paterno may have helped cover it up. Until or unless some evidence comes forward that his wife was complicit i absolutely will not assume that and think it is irresponsible to assume it. His family are most likely just more of the long string of victims of what he has done.
I don't know but I think if I were a woman and my husband kept going down to the basement to give back massages to young boys I would be a bit concerned. I would be further concerned with him taking boys on trips without me and lavishing them with gifts.Maybe she didn't put it all together but she sure has to feel like a fool now...

what are the odds that if PAterno tries to ignore questions about this and the reporters keep peppering him he loses his cool and snaps at them?

is he likely to go off script here in anger, and if so is there a chance it could cause issues?

I am not familiar enough with his demeanor with the press to know for sure
This is entirely likely with Paterno's demeanor. The guy has a history of disliking the press, and not rolling with their punches. He's a cranky old Italian and will speak his mind.
Unless it comes to reporting child rape to the police. Then he'll keep his mouth shut.
Thank you for adding that. Pointing out AGAIN that he didn't say anything adds infinite depth to the conversation.

Now we have some evidence suggesting that Sandusky was a molester and Paterno may have helped cover it up. Until or unless some evidence comes forward that his wife was complicit i absolutely will not assume that and think it is irresponsible to assume it. His family are most likely just more of the long string of victims of what he has done.
I don't know but I think if I were a woman and my husband kept going down to the basement to give back massages to young boys I would be a bit concerned. I would be further concerned with him taking boys on trips without me and lavishing them with gifts.Maybe she didn't put it all together but she sure has to feel like a fool now...
Oh i am sure she does, and perhaps it will come out that she knew, or should have. I am just not going to assume that until there's something more.Anyone who ever knew him and thought he was a good man feels like a fool right now. I think Arrington's comments display that.

http://www.philly.co.../133435418.html

The nonprofit agency at the center of the Penn State University child sex abuse scandal had warning signs of questionable conduct by its founder, longtime football defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky, a full decade before it acted to ban him from contact with children it served.

The Second Mile, a program for at-risk youth, said in a statement that it immediately acted in 2008 to ban Mr. Sandusky from programs involving children when he told them he was under investigation for sexual contact with a juvenile but had denied any wrongdoing.

However, the organization knew as early as 1998 that Mr. Sandusky was under investigation for similar sexual misconduct in a Penn State shower involving a different boy from the program, according to a presentment by a statewide investigating grand jury.

The Second Mile learned of another investigation involving Mr. Sandusky in 2002. In its statement, the agency said its chief executive officer, Jack Raykovitz, testified at the investigating grand jury that he had been told by Penn State athletic director Tim Curley that an internal investigation had found no corroboration for an allegation of inappropriate contact by Mr. Sandusky with a youth in a university locker room.

Despite those two allegations, it wasn't until November 2008 that the program took steps to keep Mr. Sandusky away from children. It was then, according to the organization's statement, that "Mr. Sandusky informed The Second Mile that he had learned he was being investigated as a result of allegations made against him by an adolescent male in Clinton County, Pa. Although he maintained there was no truth to the claims, we are an organization committed first and foremost to the safety and well-being of the children we serve.

"Consistent with that commitment and with The Second Mile policy, we immediately made the decision to separate him from all of our program activities involving children. Thus, from 2008 to present, Mr. Sandusky has had no involvement with Second Mile programs involving children."

Mr. Sandusky, who retired from coaching in 1999, was still affiliated with The Second Mile until he retired from there in September 2010.
Wow. A full decade and nothing was done

Any DCguys listen to Lavar and Dukes yesterday? Just wondering if Lavar Arrington discussed this.
Lavar was on ESPN this am. He essentially said he was reserving judgement until the trial comes out.
Lavar speaks his mind
"I always saw [sandusky] giving back, I always saw him as being a part of the community, I always saw him working with kids and caring about them,'' Arrington said on his radio program. Arrington is married with four kids.

"So when I heard about this information, when all of these allegations hit … it totally, and when I say totally, it totally took me off-guard. I was moved to tears. I looked at my children.''

"I know Mike [McQueary]. Mike was my quarterback,'' Arrington said.

"I know him. So I'm trying to understand, how do you, and again, maybe he felt as though it would be better suited if it came from Coach Paterno. … I'm going to tell you right now, I gotta stop that [assault].

"Even if it's, 'Coach [sandusky], I gotta stop you. … I gotta take this to Coach Paterno right now'. This is not good, oh my gosh, this is not good.''

Arrington added: "The natural instinct that would kick in, if I saw a child being violated, and I don't care who they are, I don't care who the person is that would be doing that. If you're an adult and you are violating a child, all reputations, all everything, all that goes out the door.

"If that was Coach Paterno, like, 'Coach, what are you doing? … You gotta come, you gotta come sit your [butt] down right here, I'm calling the cops'.''

"The reason why I wanted to talk about it as a former player of Penn State and someone who I feel has represented our institution in the highest manner that I possibly can … um, it's about the kids,'' Arrington said.

"And it needs to be discussed and it needs to be talked about.''

Added Arrington: "Innocent or not, this is just … it's just bad.''
Thanks. Found the radio segment.

I wonder how his wife didnt pickup on this. There had to be signs
They are foster parents. I would bet she's complicit in whatever sick #### he's doing.
Oof - that's a little much to assume.
It's def alot to assume. But a week ago, it was too much to assume that Jerry Sandusky was a child rapist and Joe Paterno helped cover it up. Now?
Now it's definitely a little too much to accuse his wife of complicity in the crimes, without having any evidence to support your accusation. I certainly hope that the police investigate everyone close to Sandusky, but your post sucks until you find some facts to stand behind.

http://www.philly.co.../133435418.html

The nonprofit agency at the center of the Penn State University child sex abuse scandal had warning signs of questionable conduct by its founder, longtime football defensive coordinator Jerry Sandusky, a full decade before it acted to ban him from contact with children it served.

The Second Mile, a program for at-risk youth, said in a statement that it immediately acted in 2008 to ban Mr. Sandusky from programs involving children when he told them he was under investigation for sexual contact with a juvenile but had denied any wrongdoing.

However, the organization knew as early as 1998 that Mr. Sandusky was under investigation for similar sexual misconduct in a Penn State shower involving a different boy from the program, according to a presentment by a statewide investigating grand jury.

The Second Mile learned of another investigation involving Mr. Sandusky in 2002. In its statement, the agency said its chief executive officer, Jack Raykovitz, testified at the investigating grand jury that he had been told by Penn State athletic director Tim Curley that an internal investigation had found no corroboration for an allegation of inappropriate contact by Mr. Sandusky with a youth in a university locker room.

Despite those two allegations, it wasn't until November 2008 that the program took steps to keep Mr. Sandusky away from children. It was then, according to the organization's statement, that "Mr. Sandusky informed The Second Mile that he had learned he was being investigated as a result of allegations made against him by an adolescent male in Clinton County, Pa. Although he maintained there was no truth to the claims, we are an organization committed first and foremost to the safety and well-being of the children we serve.

"Consistent with that commitment and with The Second Mile policy, we immediately made the decision to separate him from all of our program activities involving children. Thus, from 2008 to present, Mr. Sandusky has had no involvement with Second Mile programs involving children."

Mr. Sandusky, who retired from coaching in 1999, was still affiliated with The Second Mile until he retired from there in September 2010.
Wow. A full decade and nothing was done
Yeah, a whole lot of fail surrounding this situation. How could so many people just look the other way?

RT @sganim: #Sandusky Pres Spanier cancels weekly Paterno conference. Joe "disappointed" #patriotnews
ok1) probably the right move, from a cover our ### stanpoint2) probably should have done it WAY before now, why let eveyrone report the presser is going on, let the whole thing gear up, and THEN shut it down

I haven't read the grand jury document, but didn't realize this part of the story. Curley basically came out and told Second Mile that the 2002 rape allegation was not true?Curious to hear what type of investigation they conducted if the child was never found and they waited 10 days to even ask McQueary what he saw.

This has probably already been stated in here numerous times, but I am shocked that Paterno didn't follow up. Everyone involved is guilty of something. The grad assistant should have intervened when he saw it happenning. Paterno should have informed the AD and then proceeded to call the police. Utter fail on every aspect from everyone involved. They all had a moral obligation to protect that kid. How many more kids lives were ruined because not a single person came to their aid?

They are foster parents. I would bet she's complicit in whatever sick #### he's doing.
It's def alot to assume. But a week ago, it was too much to assume that Jerry Sandusky was a child rapist and Joe Paterno helped cover it up. Now?
Now it's definitely a little too much to accuse his wife of complicity in the crimes, without having any evidence to support your accusation. I certainly hope that the police investigate everyone close to Sandusky, but your post sucks until you find some facts to stand behind.
To me his first post reads that all foster parents are pedophiles and sickos.

RT @sganim: #Sandusky Pres Spanier cancels weekly Paterno conference. Joe "disappointed" #patriotnews
ok1) probably the right move, from a cover our ### stanpoint2) probably should have done it WAY before now, why let eveyrone report the presser is going on, let the whole thing gear up, and THEN shut it down
Denial? They thought they really could hold a press conference and limit it to football questions, until they saw the huge line of media and realized it was going to be a zoo?

I would assume Joe Paterno has to speak publicly before reporters at some time right?

won't this zoo just move to the post game presser if nothing else?

To me his first post reads that all foster parents are pedophiles and sickos.
I read it that way, so I'll stand behind my response.

I can't see that stadium even being 1/4th full. I find it difficult to believe that more than a select # of people will wake up that day and head out to the stadium for a day of football.
I havent been up to a game in 2 years. As of last week, I was meeting with a group of old college buddies for a day of tailgating on what we thought would be Joe's last home game. As of last night, we decided to just meet up and camp out on the river instead. We'll listen to the game on the radio. Just hard to imagine going up there right now and expecting to have fun. The overall turnout will definitely be much lower than usual.

I would assume Joe Paterno has to speak publicly before reporters at some time right?

end of the season can't come fast enough for these guys.
that month b/w the last regular season game and their bowl game is going to be brutal for PSU
Paterno will be gone by then.
what Bowl will invite Penn State?

Smoking gun, no? Curley implied to Raykovitz that a thorough investigation took place. But that can't be true if Curley didn't even talk to the boy.Curley found no corroboration because he didn't look for any.

Paterno needs to do the right thing and resign immediately, if only to get as much of the cloud away from the kids on the football team as possible. Let them go do their thing without the distraction. Otherwise, their games could get very ugly. Away crowds in particular, not to mention opposing players, are not going to keep their disdain to themselves. The guy can't even have a freaking press conference.

I would assume Joe Paterno has to speak publicly before reporters at some time right?won't this zoo just move to the post game presser if nothing else?
I think cancelling this press conference is pretty significant. If they dont trust paterno out there now (and they are probably right), why would they later? Also, the "Joe Disappointed" is pretty telling. I think this might be the beginning of the end. :(

Smoking gun, no? Curley implied to Raykovitz that a thorough investigation took place. But that can't be true if Curley didn't even talk to the boy.Curley found no corroboration because he didn't look for any.
And in all of this, apparently not one single person thought to talk to the boy involved...like I said, a whole lot of fail surrounding all of this.ETA: I think everyone at Second Mile needs to be replaced too.

Last edited by a moderator:

that month b/w the last regular season game and their bowl game is going to be brutal for PSU
The NAMBLA Bowl

Last edited by a moderator:

When the disgustingness of this situation fades, this would make an interesting 'hypothetical' thread.

Many are calling for Paterno to be fired. That’s the least that should occur. The dilemma remains: After the legal process finishes with those subject to criminal sanctions, how does Penn State atone? On one level it cannot restore to the children whose lives were ruined what was taken from them. There’s no apology that would suffice; no civil settlement that could reverse the damage.This is the very definition of corruption — the “impairment of integrity, virtue, or moral principle : depravity.” And for that, the solution, it seems, must be to excise that corruption from the body of the university and reestablish the purpose and virtue of the institution. End the football program. Let the recruits go elsewhere. Level the stadium or better yet, let it decay and crumble and be an eyesore, a fitting metaphor for the program that was suffused with moral rot.The notion that the university serves the football program should be pulled out by the roots. The university should in essence declare that henceforth there will be no confusing the priorities of the institution.Oh, but the poor players! The athletes who wouldn’t go to college! Nonsense. There are other schools, other teams. College football will survive without Penn State, and Penn State, if it’s more than an excuse for a football team, will survive without football. And if Penn State serves as a permanent reminder ( “Why is it they have no football program?” they may ask decades from now) to those tempted to abuse power, abdicate moral responsibility or lie in pursuit of football victories, then a football-less Penn State would render some service, however paltry compared to the harm it has caused.If what has been reported is true, what other action could be contemplated? And who in good conscience could watch and cheer a program that trampled on so many innocents for so little, for nothing other than pride and greed?

What alumni will go this year? That's part of the reason we often get bigger bowls- we have a huge # of alumni who travel to the bowls every year.

I would assume Joe Paterno has to speak publicly before reporters at some time right?won't this zoo just move to the post game presser if nothing else?
Not if he doesn't give a post-game presser. And even if he does, I imagine the logic is that there might just be some questions about the game if he can get them to understand he's not going to talk about this. Somebody might throw him a bone. Doing one today? What else could there be to talk about? But they're delirious if they think that.

This where really so-called smart people do the dumbest things. Cancelling and/or delaying the weekly press conference only makes this worse. Everyone knew that Joe Pa had a really low chance of saying anything meaningful about the situation, but somebody at the school needs to man-up and take the heat. Patero has been the face of that university for 50 years and he should the guy to face that music. Somebody there need to show some backbone and at least have the male body parts to stand in front of the public and take abuse.

Paterno to address media at 2pm.
Yeah... JoePa to address media at 2pm and not talk about the elephant sitting in the living room.
Assuming he does hold a news conference and attempts to only talk about football would damage him further. Penn State has much bigger issues than this weeks game. He needs to address it or don't hold the news conference.
My understanding is this is his regularly scheduled weekly press conference. I don't think he, or the PSU media relations department have fully thought through the implications of holding the conference. I know they have said he will only talk about football, but this is a story that has grown exponentially since this weekend.I expect that it will be cancelled, or Paterno will simply address the media without taking any questions.

When the disgustingness of this situation fades, this would make an interesting 'hypothetical' thread.
it will not fade in time for a bowl to actually say "hey, let's invite Penn State".. in fact, it may never fade :(

I havent been up to a game in 2 years. As of last week, I was meeting with a group of old college buddies for a day of tailgating on what we thought would be Joe's last home game. As of last night, we decided to just meet up and camp out on the river instead. We'll listen to the game on the radio. Just hard to imagine going up there right now and expecting to have fun. The overall turnout will definitely be much lower than usual.
Oof.
A few others have called in the radio program I'm listening to stating the same thing. I'm guessing there will be quite a few empty seats.

Many are calling for Paterno to be fired. That’s the least that should occur. The dilemma remains: After the legal process finishes with those subject to criminal sanctions, how does Penn State atone? On one level it cannot restore to the children whose lives were ruined what was taken from them. There’s no apology that would suffice; no civil settlement that could reverse the damage.This is the very definition of corruption — the “impairment of integrity, virtue, or moral principle : depravity.” And for that, the solution, it seems, must be to excise that corruption from the body of the university and reestablish the purpose and virtue of the institution. End the football program. Let the recruits go elsewhere. Level the stadium or better yet, let it decay and crumble and be an eyesore, a fitting metaphor for the program that was suffused with moral rot.The notion that the university serves the football program should be pulled out by the roots. The university should in essence declare that henceforth there will be no confusing the priorities of the institution.Oh, but the poor players! The athletes who wouldn’t go to college! Nonsense. There are other schools, other teams. College football will survive without Penn State, and Penn State, if it’s more than an excuse for a football team, will survive without football. And if Penn State serves as a permanent reminder ( “Why is it they have no football program?” they may ask decades from now) to those tempted to abuse power, abdicate moral responsibility or lie in pursuit of football victories, then a football-less Penn State would render some service, however paltry compared to the harm it has caused.If what has been reported is true, what other action could be contemplated? And who in good conscience could watch and cheer a program that trampled on so many innocents for so little, for nothing other than pride and greed?
Pretty much a zero chance of this happening.

VIrginia Tech a few years ago:

"There's a shooter loose on campus! Someone call 911!"

"No need for that. I've already contacted the school president. That was the proper procedure, and any further action would be in violation of protocal."
Did you pull a muscle with this one?

This where really so-called smart people do the dumbest things. Cancelling and/or delaying the weekly press conference only makes this worse. Everyone knew that Joe Pa had a really low chance of saying anything meaningful about the situation, but somebody at the school needs to man-up and take the heat. Patero has been the face of that university for 50 years and he should the guy to face that music. Somebody there need to show some backbone and at least have the male body parts to stand in front of the public and take abuse.
My hunch is that Paterno lied to the grand jury and that every fiber of his being is focusing on not being brought up on perjury charges at this point. Which means opening his mouth as infrequently as possible.

Users who are viewing this thread