What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***David Wilson Bandwagon*** (2 Viewers)

Rankings done, I don't tend to go strictly off of them as team need steers my thinking a bit when it's close but I have Wilson 8th overall and the 3rd RB. I'm not a Wilson fan, but I am a Jerry Reese fan. I think he'll probably go in the 5-7 range most drafts so I'm probably not going to end up with him but for those in the back portion of the top 8 you're going to get a starter this year. It gets hazy after that in non idp leagues, even in idp leagues it gets hazy after 9.

Im jumping on this train.My ticket reads Bradshaw owner with other RB concerns adn 1.07, 1.10 picks.Hmm.Ideal world I grab him at 7 and Jeffrey at 1.10.The more I think this over the more sense it makes and the more likely it doesnt happen for me.
If you're in a PPR, you may get him at 1.07, but in reality, I think you may have to trade up at least one, maybe two spots to guarantee it.

Im jumping on this train.My ticket reads Bradshaw owner with other RB concerns adn 1.07, 1.10 picks.Hmm.Ideal world I grab him at 7 and Jeffrey at 1.10.The more I think this over the more sense it makes and the more likely it doesnt happen for me.
If you're in a PPR, you may get him at 1.07, but in reality, I think you may have to trade up at least one, maybe two spots to guarantee it.
I was thinking the same thing. Throw in a second to move up 2 spots and grab him at 1.5 and be happy with whoever's left at 10. Might be a Fleener, Ashlon, Quick, Peade still sitting there...

I'm in two PPR dynasty rookie drafts that are currently going on as we speak. Wilson went at 1.07 and 1.08 respectively. Floyd and Blackmon went ahead of him in both drafts. Not saying to expect this, those that took Blackmon and Floyd were WR needy.

I'm in two PPR dynasty rookie drafts that are currently going on as we speak. Wilson went at 1.07 and 1.08 respectively. Floyd and Blackmon went ahead of him in both drafts. Not saying to expect this, those that took Blackmon and Floyd were WR needy.
It's really close / iffy if you wait at 5/6/7/8 to get him.Richardson, Blackmon and usually Martin are going ahead of him for sure. Floyd is probably 50/50. The 2 QBs are also in the mix. Five is a solid spot to take him, and 6 is pretty solid too. Anything after that is a gamble and I'd try and move up 1-2 spots.

was thrilled to get him at 1.6 in my PPR dynasty league yesterday :thumbup: Choo Choo!
What was the order of the 5 picks that went before him?
1.1 Richardson1.2 Martin

1.3 Blackmon

1.4 Luck

1.5 RG3

1.6 Wilson

1.7 Floyd

1.8 Hill

1.9 Jeffery
Perfect example of what I'm seeing. 2 RBs, 1-2WRs and 2 QBs ahead of Wilson.
Exactly what I'm expecting as well in my non-ppr league where I sit at 1.07.Before the draft I thought I was sitting pretty to get one of Wilson or Miller but we all know how that went.

Now I'm thinking of trading my 1.07 and my first rounder next year (reading a lot about how the 2013 class isn't

close to this year's talent level) to try to move up in the draft a few slots.

My rookie draft won't happen til mid-August, so hopefully the 1.07 pick doesn't get EVEN WORSE like it did last

year when Leshoure and Ryan Williams went down. Still loads of off-season to get through here.

Less draft position talk, more discussion of the skill set, positives and minuses please.

That's pretty well been discussed during the off-season for those who were around. Now it's draft time :^ )

Wilson is my favourite kind of prospect, someone with mad skills drafted to an awesome team and other people are afraid of drafting him because there's a mediocre to decent back in front of him on the depth chart. I'll be looking forward to drafting this future top 5 fantasy RB in all my rookie drafts in the mid-late first round.
Good luck with that.
Wilson went 1.06 in my rookie draft yesterday.

Wilson is my favourite kind of prospect, someone with mad skills drafted to an awesome team and other people are afraid of drafting him because there's a mediocre to decent back in front of him on the depth chart. I'll be looking forward to drafting this future top 5 fantasy RB in all my rookie drafts in the mid-late first round.
Good luck with that.
Wilson went 1.06 in my rookie draft yesterday.
I have logged ten different rookie draft - most of them found in the rookie draft thread. Wilson's ADP is 6.8. Lowest position is 5 (twice), highest is 10 (once).

was thrilled to get him at 1.6 in my PPR dynasty league yesterday :thumbup: Choo Choo!
What was the order of the 5 picks that went before him?
1.1 Richardson1.2 Martin

1.3 Blackmon

1.4 Luck

1.5 RG3

1.6 Wilson

1.7 Floyd

1.8 Hill

1.9 Jeffery
Perfect example of what I'm seeing. 2 RBs, 1-2WRs and 2 QBs ahead of Wilson.
Trying to slide up from 9 to 6 for this very reason. Offering Quiz and 1.9 for 1.6 to the Turner owner. :fingerscrossed:

Looks like I cant afford the ticket for the ride. All trade offers rejected for 1.03-1.05. Im going to sit tight and see if he drops. There is a lot of WR need before me which does help.

Think I might drop a Hillman smoke grenade on the league message board and see if I can get someone to reach on him.

As a Bradshaw owner, can I get on the bandwagon begrudgingly? I just landed Wilson at 1.05. I'm actually pretty happy about it and thought I might have to trade up to 1.04 to do it, as the stud QBs hadn't yet been drafted.

No hate to Wilson, but if RG3 is available in any format I'm taking him before Wilson. I'm a Bradshaw owner and I like Wilson, but RG3 is a more-talented version of Vick in a system designed for bootleg/athleticism.

Let's not forget at the start of last season a lot of people were taking Vick in the first round in re-drafts, and soon after that in dynasty. Vick had a terrible year last year but still ended up 6th in my league's scoring.

No hate to Wilson, but if RG3 is available in any format I'm taking him before Wilson. I'm a Bradshaw owner and I like Wilson, but RG3 is a more-talented version of Vick in a system designed for bootleg/athleticism.Let's not forget at the start of last season a lot of people were taking Vick in the first round in re-drafts, and soon after that in dynasty. Vick had a terrible year last year but still ended up 6th in my league's scoring.
I hear what you're saying, but I have a high likelihood of still landing one of Luck or RGIII with my next pick, and that impacted my decision to take Wilson where I did.

Got him at 1.06 today in a rookie draft. Scoring favors QBs with both big guns gone by 1.04. Looks like 1.06 or earlier should be your target pick if you want him. Best case, TRich, Martin, Blackmon, Luck, RGIII go 1.01-1.05 (not necessarily in that order), though depending on scoring/need, he could go as high as 1.03 (I have 1.03 in another league and am considering taking him there, but since draft isn't until August, I have time to decide).

in my 2 drafts today he want 1.03 and 1.04.

In the league where I really wanted him at 1.07 Im left with the Hillman Imp there (picked) and BPA at 1.10 (waiting). Im thinking Jeffery but we shall see.

Less draft position talk, more discussion of the skill set, positives and minuses please.
Standing by for your thoughts...
I touched upon it earlier (I think in this thread).Good size for a back in today's pass heavy game. 5'9" and change and 205, figure he can ad 5-7 lbs without losing any speed My questions, especially regarding fantasy relevance, are how is he catching the ball (I understand he has some issues with body position, and let's face it, Eli's best throws are not the easy ones to the backs) and most important, blocking. If he can't block, he won't play.That said, I love the upside. Good speed, decent moves from what I gather... with more passing and more spreading of the offense, its this type of back that becomes the goto guy more than your 3.5 yards a rush plodder. Obviously the Giants are concerned about Bradshaw's health and dont love their other guys, so he has a solid chance to be a contributor. RBBC with upside as a 3/4 guy if he can handle all duties and Bradshaw goes down, with downside of useless this year as he learns to block - and not fumble. Reese loves guys who have the physical skills to be difference makers and the mental capacity and drive to be someone that will represent the Giants well. He has both. Religious kid but doesnt seem to where it on his sleeve (we will see) and seems to have his head totally in the right place. As a Giants fan who was surprised to see a RB chosen, Ive grown fond of the pick and love the upside.

Boom or Bust: Is David Wilson New York’s next big star?

Three things jump at you when you watch film of new New York Giants running back David Wilson during his days at Virginia Tech:

1. He is explosively fast, both as a kick returner and a running back, possessing the type of speed that can turn a short gain into a long touchdown in the blink of an eye.

2. He is tough to bring down, even at a little less than 5-foot-10, and keeps his 206-pound frame driving until the whistle.

3. He wants to get to the outside. Wilson will run between the tackles from time to time — and probably more so in the Giants’ scheme — but he does his best work, and appears to be more comfortable, when he can outrace defenders to the boundary.

A lot of the explanation behind that third point falls to Virginia Tech’s offense, which in 2011 featured a lot of shotgun looks and almost as many read-option plays, with quarterback Logan Thomas deciding whether to hand off to Wilson or keep it himself. Almost always on those plays, Thomas’ keeper lane was up the middle, while Wilson’s primary route was a stretch wide.

But even when some lanes opened up for Wilson inside the tackle, he tried to bounce outside. To the (pictures of the) videotape!

(click on linked article to see the picture)

Apologies for the unfortunately-placed goal post there, but what you’re looking at is Wilson right after he took a handoff from Thomas on a read-option play — Wilson started to Thomas’ left, then shuttled in front of the Virginia Tech QB after the snap. Wilson has a guard pulling in front of him and a wall to his right, so heading that direction makes sense.

Of course, to do so, Wilson had to ignore the huge hole that had opened in front of him.

It worked out for him, though, as he sprinted to his right, followed his blockers, then turned upfield.

Wilson made the first man miss on that play and wound up with a nice gain. It’s that type of vision and acceleration once he starts north-south running that made Wilson look like a fit for a zone-running scheme, such as you’d find in Washington or Houston — attacks that are built around running backs initially utilizing a horizontal pattern, then making one move upfield once they find a hole.

The benefits of that type of approach for a guy with Wilson’s speed are obvious:

The rush is always on to compare incoming NFL rookies to someone who’s played in the league. But Wilson is not the next Brandon Jacobs — as mentioned, while he will run between the tackles, he’s not a big, bruising back like Jacobs is supposed to be (whether or not Jacobs actually lives up to that billing), and he’s definitely not going to be the “thunder” to Ahmad Bradshaw’s “lightning.”

While we’re on the subject, he’s also not Tiki Barber. Wilson has more raw athleticism than the long-time Giants back … and a lot less capability in the passing game at the moment. Barber caught 586 passes during his NFL career; Wilson, despite being a huge threat in space, had just 37 grabs during three years at Virginia Tech.

Wilson also fumbled seven times last year, which was a major concern for those scouting him heading into the draft and will stay a worry for the Giants, at least until Wilson proves he can hang onto the football.

What the Giants are getting in Wilson is that so-called “home-run threat” — he is a guy who can turn just about any play into a huge gain and a score. (On the flip side, he has a little bit of what I like to refer to as “Barry Sanders Syndrome,” where he’ll take a few big losses here and there while trying to make something happen. Look no further than his 22-yard loss on a 1st-and-goal against Michigan in the Sugar Bowl.)

New York won’t be running any read-options with Eli Manning in the near future, though the Giants will employ a hefty share of shotgun looks. Wilson did get plenty of carries out of traditional looks, like the I-formation, at Virginia Tech, but he’ll have to show that he can turn the corner in the NFL without the help of his QB’s running threat.

All in all, Wilson has the potential to be a huge pickup for the Giants. But what can they fairly expect from him?

Best-case scenario: Wilson’s speed translates, without a hitch, to the NFL, and he secures the Giants’ backup RB job from Week 1. He solves his fumbling problems, continues to develop as a pass-catcher, and gives New York an even better 1-2 punch than when the inconsistent Jacobs was around. While he still takes has some negative plays, Wilson more than makes up for them with several game-breaking moments. He even pitches in with a few impressive kick returns.

Worst-case scenario: Wilson has no success running between the tackles, limiting where and how the Giants can use him. He also cannot hang onto the football and proves to be just as mediocre a blocking back as he was in college, keeping him on the sideline for third downs. He doesn’t display the vision necessary to adapt to NFL defenses, and his quick-cut approach leads him into trouble more often than not.

2012 prediction: It’s hard to watch tape of Wilson and not come away impressed, despite his occasional butterfingers and reluctance to pick up blitzers. The one thing Giants fans do not have to worry about — and this should be a relief post-Jacobs — is Wilson playing hard on every down. He will get his chances in 2012, and will come up with at least a few highlight-reel plays. Let’s start Wilson at 120 carries for about 450 yards, 18 receptions, at least three plays of 50-plus yards and six touchdowns.

I just don't see what others are seeing in him. I have 1.03 in a draft and need a RB in the worst way. I know Martin will be gone, and just can't bring myself to take Wilson that high. He seems to be an above average back in almost all aspects of the game, but not great at any one thing. There is nothing special to his game.

He reminds me a lot of Steve Slaton when I watch his clips. While Slaton was great in the right system, I'm not sold on Wilson's landing spot.

I just don't see what others are seeing in him. I have 1.03 in a draft and need a RB in the worst way. I know Martin will be gone, and just can't bring myself to take Wilson that high. He seems to be an above average back in almost all aspects of the game, but not great at any one thing. There is nothing special to his game. He reminds me a lot of Steve Slaton when I watch his clips. While Slaton was great in the right system, I'm not sold on Wilson's landing spot.
I think he's better than you're giving him credit for, but Bradshaw is going to get plenty of action as well. It's not like Wilson is going to step in and run away with the job. I think Bradshaw sees most of the touches at least this season (unless he gets hurt, natch).

I just don't see what others are seeing in him. I have 1.03 in a draft and need a RB in the worst way. I know Martin will be gone, and just can't bring myself to take Wilson that high. He seems to be an above average back in almost all aspects of the game, but not great at any one thing. There is nothing special to his game. He reminds me a lot of Steve Slaton when I watch his clips. While Slaton was great in the right system, I'm not sold on Wilson's landing spot.
1.03 is too early. I love Wilson but I'd trade down with a QB needy team to the 1.05/1.06. Should be available there.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Max Power said:
I just don't see what others are seeing in him. I have 1.03 in a draft and need a RB in the worst way. I know Martin will be gone, and just can't bring myself to take WilsonMatt Forte/Ryan Mathews/Ray Rice that high. He seems to be an above average back in almost all aspects of the game, but not great at any one thing. There is nothing special to his game.

He reminds me a lot of Steve Slaton when I watch his clips. While Slaton was great in the right system, I'm not sold on Wilson's landing spot.
Above average in a lot is worth something to me. I don't think Slaton was as athletic as Wilson.

'Max Power said:
I just don't see what others are seeing in him. I have 1.03 in a draft and need a RB in the worst way. I know Martin will be gone, and just can't bring myself to take WilsonMatt Forte/Ryan Mathews/Ray Rice that high. He seems to be an above average back in almost all aspects of the game, but not great at any one thing. There is nothing special to his game.

Above average in a lot is worth something to me. I don't think Slaton was as athletic as Wilson.
I agree, but Slaton had much better vision/discipline.

'Max Power said:

I don't see what that point proved. I'm just not sold on Wilson being something special. If I had a later pick, I'd consider him. I think there are better prospects on the board at 1.03.And a lot of posts here seem to echo this as well. He is a good value pick at 1.06-1.07, but if you guys were sold on him being a great RB you guys wouldn't even suggest trading down.

'Max Power said:

I don't see what that point proved. I'm just not sold on Wilson being something special. If I had a later pick, I'd consider him. I think there are better prospects on the board at 1.03.And a lot of posts here seem to echo this as well. He is a good value pick at 1.06-1.07, but if you guys were sold on him being a great RB you guys wouldn't even suggest trading down.
Absolutely untrue. The thing is that in most people's minds Luck/RGIII/Blackmon/Martin are worth more than Wilson. So why not trade down and get some extra value while still getting your man?

'Max Power said:

Absolutely untrue. The thing is that in most people's minds Luck/RGIII/Blackmon/Martin are worth more than Wilson. So why not trade down and get some extra value while still getting your man?
Because it is assuming that no one in those 2-4 spots I'd move down are going to grab him. What are people getting by moving down from 1.03 to 1.06? another mid round pick? a prospect WR or handcuff RB? I'm in the camp that thinks if I was getting a Forte type RB, I wouldn't trade down and risk losing him, just so I can get an extra third tier WR. The fall back plan just doesn't seem worth the risk.Now again, I'm one who isn't sold on him being a great back, which is why I'm suprised to see owners who are sold on him suggesting to trade back.

'Max Power said:

I had the 1.04 pick in a draft with RB as my biggest need. Feeling that Wilson would probably slide to 1.06/1.07 range, I made a deal with a QB hungry team, trading the 1.04 for the 1.06 and 2.01. He took RG3 at 1.04. I got Wilson at 1.06 and James at 2.01 (12 team league). Draft went RTich, Luck, Martin, RGIII, Blackmon. I am sold on him as a potential elite RB (emphasis on potential) and at the very least a quality RB1 for many of the reasons already detailed.. But not this year. And if I couldn't get a deal I liked, I would have drafted him at 1.04. I was simply trying to maximize value for my pick. And if he was taken earlier, I would have been okay with any of the guys picked ahead of him, but ultimately, I got my guy at a spot where I thought he would go and I got another good RB prospect to boot. This is how I'd handle the 1.03 pick. The other option is to try and package 1.03 with something to move into 1.02.

'Max Power said:

I had the 1.04 pick in a draft with RB as my biggest need. Feeling that Wilson would probably slide to 1.06/1.07 range, I made a deal with a QB hungry team, trading the 1.04 for the 1.06 and 2.01. He took RG3 at 1.04. I got Wilson at 1.06 and James at 2.01 (12 team league). Draft went RTich, Luck, Martin, RGIII, Blackmon. I am sold on him as a potential elite RB (emphasis on potential) and at the very least a quality RB1 for many of the reasons already detailed.. But not this year. And if I couldn't get a deal I liked, I would have drafted him at 1.04. I was simply trying to maximize value for my pick. And if he was taken earlier, I would have been okay with any of the guys picked ahead of him, but ultimately, I got my guy at a spot where I thought he would go and I got another good RB prospect to boot. This is how I'd handle the 1.03 pick. The other option is to try and package 1.03 with something to move into 1.02.
:goodposting:

'Max Power said:

2.01 is a nice return to move down 2 spots. I'd probably jump on that as well. I haven't seen any offer that good. No chance to move up in my league either. In the end, I'll probably take what I can get and move down. I may or may not be getting on the bandwagon for the Value and not actually the player.

I'm conflicted; I really like both Doug Martin and David Wilson.I've got the feeling like Martin's a safer pick between the two, but Wilson's got that super star homerun pick potential.
I like Martin. But what is "safer" about trying to land the next Ray Rice?We always fall into this trap. A guy breaks the mold...and then immediately becomes the new mold.Oh, the secret to picking a stud NFL running back is to find one that looks like Ray Rice? Except that if you followed the secret to drafting a stud NFL running back the year Rice got drafted, you wouldn't have drafted Ray Rice. Not calling you out, ty247. Just curious why you think Martin is safer. The studs are by definition unique and actually contradict one another if you approach it from a comparison of traits.

I just traded down from 1.04 to 1.05 and took Wilson. I also upgraded my DE from Greg Hardy to Sheard. That's the way you do it!

so far in 9 PPR dynasty leagues I am in, Wilson has gone between 3-5 in 5 leagues, and went 6 or 7 in the other 4, for what that's worth. :nerd:

'Max Power said:
His QB did rush for 11 TDs and the FB with only 96 carries got 6 TDs. I didn't watch the games but it seems like 9 rushing TDs is a low total for getting 1709 yds. Seems like he got vultured and could have gotten more if he got the call.

'Max Power said:
His QB did rush for 11 TDs and the FB with only 96 carries got 6 TDs. I didn't watch the games but it seems like 9 rushing TDs is a low total for getting 1709 yds. Seems like he got vultured and could have gotten more if he got the call.
He's not a good inside runner and I see him getting platooned like Bradshaw. There's reason to be concerned about him. He had terrible receiving numbers last year (22/159, 5.9 YPR).

I just don't see what others are seeing in him. I have 1.03 in a draft and need a RB in the worst way. I know Martin will be gone, and just can't bring myself to take Wilson that high. He seems to be an above average back in almost all aspects of the game, but not great at any one thing. There is nothing special to his game.

He's not a good inside runner and I see him getting platooned like Bradshaw. There's reason to be concerned about him. He had terrible receiving numbers last year (22/159, 5.9 YPR).
In his defense he wasn't in a prolific passing offense. 2011 Hokies

I've drafted him at 1.5 (PPR) and 1.6 (Standard) so far.

Hoping to pick him up in a few other leagues as well.

imo, wilson has the balance and speed to be special. like payton/sanders special... i think he has some learning to do to reach that potential, but the potential is there. slaton fits the "not great at any one thing" description much better than wilson does because of that special start/stop agility and speed/balance ability that wilson possesses. talent wise, as an athlete, he's up there with richardson in those areas and if he reaches his potential, which i think he can, he'll be right up there with richardson in future year rankings.ETA: lets not forget he's 20 years old as well.

I don't know about Peyton/Sanders, but I'll compare him to Chris Johnson. Superior athletic ability to probably any other RB in the NFL and some very good playing strength for his size. He just needs to learn to see the field better and use his blocking more efficiently. CJ has him beat by miles in this category, but that part can be taught.

I don't know about Peyton/Sanders, but I'll compare him to Chris Johnson. Superior athletic ability to probably any other RB in the NFL and some very good playing strength for his size. He just needs to learn to see the field better and use his blocking more efficiently. CJ has him beat by miles in this category, but that part can be taught.
good point... i may be jumping the gun with payton/sanders comparisons lol...i also agree with the vision and decision making... when he learns to incorporate them into his game more he could be really special imo.

good point... i may be jumping the gun with payton/sanders comparisons lol...i also agree with the vision and decision making... when he learns to incorporate them into his game more he could be really special imo.
I don't know if it's his vision / decision making.. is it possible that it's allowing the blocks to develop, and being slightly patient enough for it to happen? I'm not going to pretend to be an expert, but I see a little of that in his game at times.I remember LeSean McCoy had the same problem in his first year, but once he adjusted he became stud.

Users who are viewing this thread