What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

QB Russell Wilson, PIT (6 Viewers)

People calling for a switch are crazy. Wilson is the future and even if the present is bleak or not as bright as others are seeing, Wilson will turn the lights on and shine brightly. Its been a few games, people. Wilson is the right choice
Future is bleak for Seattle if this guy is the future. Nothing worse than being a yearly non-contender for the SB.
Russell Wilson will bring a Super Bowl title to whichever team he is QB'ing for. Book it.

Frustrating thread. Everyone is positioning themselves with an opinion so they can come back later with the I TOLD YOU SO. That sucks.

There's some interesting stuff going on in Seattle with their overall philosophy and team dynamic. They are running very contrary to the NFL trend of passing to win. If you're going to spend your time trying to be right you might miss out on something cool worth examining. Perhaps try to understand instead of try to judge? That might be asking way too much of anonymous internet posters.

People calling for a switch are crazy. Wilson is the future and even if the present is bleak or not as bright as others are seeing, Wilson will turn the lights on and shine brightly. Its been a few games, people. Wilson is the right choice
Future is bleak for Seattle if this guy is the future. Nothing worse than being a yearly non-contender for the SB.
Russell Wilson will bring a Super Bowl title to whichever team he is QB'ing for. Book it.
Only if 31 other clubs forfeit.

'bonesman said:
I don't see why the players would be backing Flynn... it's not like he's tearing it up in practice with his sore elbow.
I'm not sure if they are backing Flynn per se; it's most likely some of the frustration was directed at the coaches. But it's obvious here in Sea Town that players are frustrated. What do you expect when you have almost every other phase of the team peaking at a high NFL level; yet team success is obviously weighted down to a ball and chain midget rookie QB with 3 weeks of NFL experience and an offensive game plan more conservative than Rush Limbaugh?Did you watch or listen to the post game player interviews last week?Pete Carroll has always been a players coach; but it was abundantly evident the feeling wasn't as mutual immediately after the Rams game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you watch or listen to the post game player interviews last week?
No, I saw Pete's post game and then Wed. (or maybe Tuesday's) pressconference. I looked on Seahawks.com (for Rice's interview) after it was mentioned here, but didn't see anything besides PC and Wilson. Got a link?

RW will throw/run for 3 td's in each of the next two games. Then he will have his lunch money stolen from him
I want him to pull a Flutie Flake Quadruple Header. I went to a Chargers vs Viqueens game and after LT opened the scoring flood with a 75-ish yard pitch for a TD, Flutie went on to throw for 2 and run for 2. LT live in his prime was one of the best NFL game experiences I've ever had.

The great thing about Russell is that he completes every pass - even if he has to throw it to the other team.

The guy just wins games. Calling the Scientist.
He's an INT correct call from being 2-3 with a top tier defense and Pro Bowl running back. He's not very good but apparantly pretty decent today but Im not sold. I realize the WRs for the majority arent getting seperation but he also isnt delivering the ball well. (total season wise)Im glad he preformed well against a suspect Panthers D. Guess I'll just be looking for carry over next week @ home vs. NE.

For me:

Redraft: Droppable

Keeper: Droppable

Dynasty: Hold

Even in dynasty though, this situation(great defense/great RB/conservative offense) could hold him back as much as talent.

He's an INT correct call from being 2-3 with a top tier defense and Pro Bowl running back. He's not very good but apparantly pretty decent today but Im not sold. I realize the WRs for the majority arent getting seperation but he also isnt delivering the ball well. (total season wise)Im glad he preformed well against a suspect Panthers D. Guess I'll just be looking for carry over next week @ home vs. NE.
And he's also a catch in the endzone from being 4-1. What's your point? For that matter, the TE was tripped in the STL game too. Apparently one play means a win so now their 5-0.But for some reason people are going to keep saying that one play means Wilson isn't good. Get over it--that was week 3.

For me:Redraft: DroppableKeeper: DroppableDynasty: HoldEven in dynasty though, this situation(great defense/great RB/conservative offense) could hold him back as much as talent.
I agree to an extent. If you look at the Seahawks over the past two years they have come out slow in the first half of the season and start throwing more down the line. I'm not sure if he'll be startable even then though.In dynasty I think it might actually be time to buy.

With regard to Wilson's record as a starter, the dropped TD passes that should won the game at Arizona offset the GB "correct call INT". Seattle "should" be 3-2.With regard to Wilson's performance as a passer so far, he has been mediocre overall. But as has been discussed in this thread, he has been limited somewhat by the design of the offense. He is a talented rookie who is intelligent and works hard. It is reasonable to expect his performance to improve as he gains experience, and it's also possible the playcalling will open up a bit.From a fantasy perspective, he isn't likely to be useful this year, and maybe not for a few years, even if he remains the starter... the coaching philosophy will have to change, providing him more downfield and red zone opportunities.From a NFL perspective, he is a serviceable starting QB now and I expect he will develop into a good starter over time.

Seattle really needs to give Flynn a shot. RW is awful.
You are anything but the voice of reason. The Seahawks win. Wilson gives them steady QB play with a chance to explode. They win. He is not putting up 5000/50 anytime soon but he does not need to do that to win. Control the ball, move the ball, score. Simple.

And he's also a catch in the endzone from being 4-1. What's your point? For that matter, the TE was tripped in the STL game too. Apparently one play means a win so now their 5-0.But for some reason people are going to keep saying that one play means Wilson isn't good. Get over it--that was week 3.
The numbers don't lie - he has the second worst YPA of any QB, only Gabbert is worse and not by much.

The numbers don't lie - he has the second worst YPA of any QB, only Gabbert is worse and not by much.
This thread seems less conducive to reason and more receptive to belief. Stats won't matter here.

This thread seems less conducive to reason and more receptive to belief. Stats won't matter here.
Fair enough, but there's also a difference between saying he "isn't good" and not making the throws he's being asked to make. His stats aren't good, but the indication is he's missing targets. Nobody seems to be taking into account the fact that Pete Carroll has stated he's holding Wilson back.

You are anything but the voice of reason. The Seahawks win. Wilson gives them steady QB play with a chance to explode. They win. He is not putting up 5000/50 anytime soon but he does not need to do that to win. Control the ball, move the ball, score. Simple.
He's on pace for 1900 yards passing and 16 touchdowns. So I think you meant to say he's not putting up 2500 yards passing / 20 touchdowns anytime soon. :boxing:

He's on pace for 1900 yards passing and 16 touchdowns. So I think you meant to say he's not putting up 2500 yards passing / 20 touchdowns anytime soon. :boxing:
Don't forget the all-important rushing yards. He's on pace for 294 of them.

The only stat that matters is a "W". And, if he gets 10+ of those "W's", he might be a keeper.

The only stat that matters is a "W". And, if he gets 10+ of those "W's", he might be a keeper.
My gut tells me you're just in here fishing, but I'll respond anyway because I think there's a good point to make. You're partially correct that stats aren't the most important thing, but some stats are important. Wilson doesn't need to post big numbers, but he must post efficient numbers. He must post more efficient numbers particularly on third down. Today he was better. Aside from the pick-6 (and that was a very bad choice) he looked great. Delivered the ball well and on time. He was 19/25 and missed out on a beautifully delivered ball to Tate for 56 yards (called back by an unnecessary hold). Seattle has a script for winning games. Today was nearly flawless execution of that script. Take away the awful pick 6 and this was a blowout win for Seattle. Keep in mind, this team is built to keep the scores low and beat the crap out of their opponents physically. I thought the PFT headline said it all. Seahawks-hammer-panthers-even-though-score-was-close

Is this the new Tebow thread?

what are you talking about? they are 3-2. that means they have lost 2 games. flynn is the ideal quarterback to control the ball. wilson doesn't really move the ball by the way.

Is this the new Tebow thread?
Might as well toss Alex Smith in there as well.

But Flynn has more career "W's" than Wilson.

But Flynn has more career "W's" than Wilson.
No he doesn't. Wilson is 3-2 as a starter; Flynn is 1-1. WTF are you talking about? :confused:

He's an INT correct call from being 2-3 with a top tier defense and Pro Bowl running back. He's not very good but apparantly pretty decent today but Im not sold. I realize the WRs for the majority arent getting seperation but he also isnt delivering the ball well. (total season wise)

Im glad he preformed well against a suspect Panthers D. Guess I'll just be looking for carry over next week @ home vs. NE.
Fair enough, but there's also a difference between saying he "isn't good" and not making the throws he's being asked to make. His stats aren't good, but the indication is he's missing targets. Nobody seems to be taking into account the fact that Pete Carroll has stated he's holding Wilson back.
Did you think Billick was holding Trent Dilfer back?

Wilson isn't playing that poorly. I think what some people forget is that when you run a conservative offense, you limit your QB's opportunities to situations where the D in large part knows what is coming. I think you're seeing that with Wilson to some extent. You have a rookie QB who is basically handing off until you end up in predictable passing situations.

Keep in mind that Carroll, even though he needs to win now, is still investing in the future. The experience Wilson is getting now can be invaluable later this year and next. If he was able to beat out Flynn as a rookie, Carroll is banking on the upside when he actually knows something. Carroll is just trying to have it both ways - he's trying to throw Wilson into the fire but protect him at the same time.

I think people are forgetting how bad rookie QB's can look.

Wilson isn't playing that poorly. I think what some people forget is that when you run a conservative offense, you limit your QB's opportunities to situations where the D in large part knows what is coming. I think you're seeing that with Wilson to some extent. You have a rookie QB who is basically handing off until you end up in predictable passing situations.Keep in mind that Carroll, even though he needs to win now, is still investing in the future. The experience Wilson is getting now can be invaluable later this year and next. If he was able to beat out Flynn as a rookie, Carroll is banking on the upside when he actually knows something. Carroll is just trying to have it both ways - he's trying to throw Wilson into the fire but protect him at the same time.I think people are forgetting how bad rookie QB's can look.
i love all the excuses. if weeden had flynn behind him, no one would be coming to his defense like this. wilson can still gain invaluable experience with a clip board. thats how rodgers, brees and brady did it.

his point is that "The guy just wins games" is not relevant, which you just restated in your reply. (you two agree)wilson is not playing well. the seahawks have another qb that may be able to play better. some think they should find out.

his point is that "The guy just wins games" is not relevant, which you just restated in your reply. (you two agree)
Correct, but you have to realize you're just being fished here. People are saying this to get a rise out of others.
wilson is not playing well.
This is wrong. Overall he did play well yesterday. He had one horrible throw in that game and many many good throws. Not sure where you're getting this, but yesterday was his best outing so far. He contributed to a win. The team didn't win in spite of him. He was 19/25 with 8.8 yards per attempt. That's getting it done.More importantly, he was 9/10 on third down for 73 yards. That's getting it done on the money down.
the seahawks have another qb that may be able to play better. some think they should find out.
This just isn't going to happen. Its not like a fantasy squad where you can try different players. In the team game that the NFL plays tinkering with the starting quarterback has huge ramifications. Wilson earned the starting job and hasn't played poorly enough to lose it. That said, the NFL means "not for long" when it comes to poor play. He's not close to losing his job as the starter.EDIT: To add some numbers.

Wilson isn't playing that poorly. I think what some people forget is that when you run a conservative offense, you limit your QB's opportunities to situations where the D in large part knows what is coming.
They are limiting the offense because of his limited ability as a QB. He is a decent dink and dunk passer and can scramble decently, but he is short and lacks the arms strength.

But for some reason people are going to keep saying that one play means Wilson isn't good. Get over it--that was week 3.
Wrong...people will say he is not good, well, because he is not very good. That int he threw yesterday where the DB ran it back was one of the worst NFL throws I've seen. He threw the ball to the inside shoulder of a WR who was breaking to the sideline and it was a late throw on top off that.The ONLY reason why Seattle is winning any games is because of the defense and running game. But keep on believing in your 5'10 boy from Wisconsin. :thumbup:

Wilson isn't playing that poorly. I think what some people forget is that when you run a conservative offense, you limit your QB's opportunities to situations where the D in large part knows what is coming.
They are limiting the offense because of his limited ability as a QB. He is a decent dink and dunk passer and can scramble decently, but he is short and lacks the arms strength.
This is wrong. They're playing a specific variety of football. Killer defense. Control the ball on offense. Its not a reach to say that the Seattle defense might have 7 or 8 pro-bowl caliber players at the moment. They lead the NFL in total defense. Take a look at time of possession. This is an all-encompassing football philosophy. The offense doesn't operate in a vacuum. Carolina's offense never got on track in the first half yesterday because they weren't on the field.

This is wrong. They're playing a specific variety of football. Killer defense. Control the ball on offense. Its not a reach to say that the Seattle defense might have 7 or 8 pro-bowl caliber players at the moment. They lead the NFL in total defense. Take a look at time of possession. This is an all-encompassing football philosophy. The offense doesn't operate in a vacuum. Carolina's offense never got on track in the first half yesterday because they weren't on the field.
LOL...do you think they would play conservative offense if Brady or Manning or Brees was QB? No. He is a solid game manager and has good "intangibles".

But for some reason people are going to keep saying that one play means Wilson isn't good. Get over it--that was week 3.
Wrong...people will say he is not good, well, because he is not very good. That int he threw yesterday where the DB ran it back was one of the worst NFL throws I've seen. He threw the ball to the inside shoulder of a WR who was breaking to the sideline and it was a late throw on top off that.
Yes, that was a very bad throw.
The ONLY reason why Seattle is winning any games is because of the defense and running game. But keep on believing in your 5'10 boy from Wisconsin. :thumbup:
This is very wrong and shows little to no understanding of what is going on in Seattle.

LOL...do you think they would play conservative offense if Brady or Manning or Brees was QB? No. He is a solid game manager and has good "intangibles".
They don't have a Brady or a Manning or a Brees. What would you have them do? Get one? After you realize they can't, what then? Play Flynn hoping he will develop into one? That's a formula that results in year after year mediocrity. Carroll and Schneider have a plan. A script. They have stuck to it for three years. If you go back and listen to every press conference they've done they've been 100% consistent. As a Seattle fan its been refreshing. I'm on board with where they are going.

The ONLY reason why Seattle is winning any games is because of the defense and running game. But keep on believing in your 5'10 boy from Wisconsin. :thumbup:
This is very wrong and shows little to no understanding of what is going on in Seattle.
Actually, this is EXACTLY right! As stated above, this is an "all encompassing philosophy" that includes a killer defense that is currently ranked #1 in the NFL in yards giving up (#5 against the pass and #3 against the run). That defense is tied for 2nd in points allowed with 14 per game. Let's say they were instead tied for #16 (dead center in the NFL) in PPG given up with 22.2. Since they have only scored more than 16 ONE TIME, that would lead me to believe they would be 1-4. Seattle is 28th in terms of points scored per game with 17.2. So again, it's not their offense that's winning them games.

I believe Wilson's arm strength is superior to Flynn's.

Users who are viewing this thread