What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (7 Viewers)

his whole life the soulfly's of the world have been telling him he is never wrong because he can catch a football, the dude believes it. He's not wrong the league is, the law is, everyone else is!!!
Considering marijuana is a misdemeanor and not a felony in almost any state anymore? And is actually legal in a couple states with more to come? Yeah... he isn't wrong, the league is wrong.
well first, misdemaonrs are not wrong?

that's news to me

and second, the NFL policy is clear, he knows it regardless of the law. When he bargained down to 2 games last season he knew the testing he;d have to do he knew the protocol and the message was clear, stay away form weed.

How many times does he have to choose weed over football before we blame him and not the rules?

his whole life the soulfly's of the world have been telling him he is never wrong because he can catch a football, the dude believes it. He's not wrong the league is, the law is, everyone else is!!!
Considering marijuana is a misdemeanor and not a felony in almost any state anymore? And is actually legal in a couple states with more to come? Yeah... he isn't wrong, the league is wrong.
:lmao:

So I can partake in an alcoholic beverage during my lunch break? Screw my company for telling me otherwise.

So... Anyone willing to take a stab at ranking Gordon in a ppr Dynasty startup? What round? I already drafted so not looking for advice, just curious what the audience here would do.
I had him WR46 pre-announcement, but the announcement doesn't change much for me. I was pretty much assuming he was gone for the year already, and my big concern has always been not whether he plays this year, but whether he can stay clean for a year at a time. He hasn't gone a whole calendar year without failing a drug test since high school, at the very least.

I might bump him down to 48th or so, but I feel comfortable he'll still remain in the 46-50 range for me.
That seems really high to me.

For example, Cody Latimer is listed as WR46 in DLF's ADP data for August. That converts to the #15 rookie being drafted - i.e. an early 2nd.

He'd be much further back for me.

"I am very disappointed that the NFL and its hearing office didn't exercise better discretion and judgment in my case.

That screams "I'm going to fight this" Him and his lawyers are clearly not done.

So I can partake in an alcoholic beverage during my lunch break? Screw my company for telling me otherwise.
A better analogy would be questioning whether you can partake in an alcoholic beverage during your vacation

Last edited by a moderator:
"I am very disappointed that the NFL and its hearing office didn't exercise better discretion and judgment in my case.

That screams "I'm going to fight this" Him and his lawyers are clearly not done.
This guy is hilarious. What did u burn a 3rd on him or something?

My buddy who is a Browns fan is babbling about Gordon suing the league because they are supposed to rule within 5 days of the appeal. My understanding is that the league no longer is the one making the ruling and that it is an independent arbitrator now so the 5 days thing is out the window under the new policy enacted last year.

Can anyone confirm one way or the other on that?

if the question is:

is the nfl too tough on weed smokers?

I'd prolly say yes.

That is not the question, though, the question is did Gordon break the rules, again, and should he be punished the same as all other players. And the answers are yes and yes

Do not forget the NFLPA collectively bargained this issue. They could have stayed away and fought to lighten the weed penalties, they did not. And the rules are there so obey them. But he never has, and people have always made excuses for him. Hell even the nfl let him off with only 2 games last time.

He'll play this season. 8 month wait + 16 games is more than unreasonable enough for a judge to grant an injunction. NFL screwed themselves by waiting 8 months + giving him the full 16. He'll play, guaranteed.
The NFL didn't drag it out eight months. Gordon could have started serving his suspension months ago, but he chose to appeal instead, which delayed things. The arbitrator took 23 days to announce his decision, but that's not the NFL's fault.

My buddy who is a Browns fan is babbling about Gordon suing the league because they are supposed to rule within 5 days of the appeal. My understanding is that the league no longer is the one making the ruling and that it is an independent arbitrator now so the 5 days thing is out the window under the new policy enacted last year.

tell your friend he is an enabler

i am pretty sure the nfl would not be dumb enough to sit on this if they knew they were required to rule within a certain time

So, who is the wr to own in Cleveland this year? Or is Jordan Cameron the only worth while fantasy player on that team now?

Hmm, looks like Harold Henderson is indeed employed by the NFL.

So what about this 5 day time limit on issuing a verdict after the appeal?

if the question is:

I'd prolly say yes.

That is not the question, though, the question is did Gordon break the rules, again, and should he be punished the same as all other players. And the answers are yes and yes

Do not forget the NFLPA collectively bargained this issue. They could have stayed away and fought to lighten the weed penalties, they did not. And the rules are there so obey them. But he never has, and people have always made excuses for him. Hell even the nfl let him off with only 2 games last time.
Most sane post among the last 50 or so pages. Please stop ruining the insanity of this thread

He'll play this season. 8 month wait + 16 games is more than unreasonable enough for a judge to grant an injunction. NFL screwed themselves by waiting 8 months + giving him the full 16. He'll play, guaranteed.
The NFL didn't drag it out eight months. Gordon could have started serving his suspension months ago, but he chose to appeal instead, which delayed things. The arbitrator took 23 days to announce his decision, but that's not the NFL's fault.
Please do some research. NFL new he tested positive back in December.

A better analogy would be questioning whether you can partake in an alcoholic beverage during your vacation
Not it wouldn't be.

NFL policy states the players are subjected to drug testing and if they fail they face discipline.

My company's policy states that no alcohol consumption during working hours.

The point being that something being legal, doesn't mean that a private corporation/business can not make it against company policy.

If this helps, I deal with a lot of confidential information. If I tweeted some of it out to the twittersphere during my vacation, it would not sit well with my employers. But I am legally allowed to have a twitter account.

It's not the NFL that's supposed to rule; it's the arbitrator. And he's supposed to rule "within a reasonable time." I think 23 days is unreasonably long, myself, but ten days would have been reasonable. And the difference between the two isn't all that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. If Gordon stays out of trouble between now and then, he'll probably be able to negotiate a reduction of the suspension by at least 13 days, I would think, without filing a lawsuit.

if the question is:

I'd prolly say yes.

Yup, 100% agree on all counts.

Putting any fantasy bias aside, this is the right decision. Dude needs to clean his life up. He can make enough money in a couple games that would allow any one of us to retire for life. Too bad these idiots don't realize what they have.
no he doesnt. hes puffing weed. not mainling dope. or gangbanging. or bar fighting. or raping.

From December to May, when the suspension was announced, is not eight months.

Putting any fantasy bias aside, this is the right decision. Dude needs to clean his life up. He can make enough money in a couple games that would allow any one of us to retire for life. Too bad these idiots don't realize what they have.
no he doesnt. hes puffing weed. not mainling dope. or gangbanging. or bar fighting. or raping.
Well, he is in the NFL which is a privilege and he insist on disregarding their rules based of the CBA time and time again, so yes he deserves this.

So, who is the wr to own in Cleveland this year? Or is Jordan Cameron the only worth while fantasy player on that team now?
Odd that this is being asked now instead of a couple months ago, but:

1) Cameron

2) Hawkins (in PPR)

3) Austin (in non-PPR maybe move him ahead of Hawkins if you believe his hammys will hold up)

I hope he came up with that on his own and didn't pay his attorney....That is the most ridiculous statement ever made. A guy who only had to use better judgment and discretion and he would be playing this year making buckets full of money.

It's not the NFL that's supposed to rule; it's the arbitrator. And he's supposed to rule "within a reasonable time." I think 23 days is unreasonably long, myself, but ten days would have been reasonable. And the difference between the two isn't all that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. If Gordon stays out of trouble between now and then, he'll probably be able to negotiate a reduction of the suspension by at least 13 days, I would think, without filing a lawsuit.
MT - Is there any shot in your opinion he plays this year, or can he be dropped in redraft?

MT - Is there any shot in your opinion he plays this year, or can he be dropped in redraft?
let's see what snoop thinks....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtUVQei3nX4

I tried the read tea leaves and thought he might get less. I was wrong. Wow, no value at all this year it seems.

Regarding his statement, I find it really odd that Gordon is the one that gets to be disappointed that someone else "didn't exercise better discretion and judgment." He had a LONG time to work on that, and that is a very poor sentiment for him to have. Sure, makes you think there's more to the case, but at the end of the day, he's the one that needs to show better discretion and judgment, and definitely not judge others for theirs.

Statement:

AlbertBreer

@AlbertBreer

Browns WR Josh Gordon statement via the NFLPA: “I’d like to apologize to my teammates, coaches, the Cleveland Browns organization and our fans. I am very disappointed that the NFL and its hearing office didn’t exercise better discretion and judgment in my case. I would like to sincerely thank the people who have been incredibly supportive of me during this challenging time, including my family, my agent, my union, my legal team, and the Cleveland Browns staff.”
How do people in PR departments even have jobs? What do they do? How could anyone greenlight this? This is almost as bad as Ray Rice opting to go with a "get back up after you get knocked down" metaphor in his "apology" press conference.
agree its pretty bad pr, but i mean, hes not wrong.

Not it wouldn't be.

NFL policy states the players are subjected to drug testing and if they fail they face discipline.

The point being that something being legal, doesn't mean that a private corporation/business can not make it against company policy.

If this helps, I deal with a lot of confidential information. If I tweeted some of it out to the twittersphere during my vacation, it would not sit well with my employers. But I am legally allowed to have a twitter account.
Of course it would be... second hand smoke or not... Gordon clearly did this during his break from the team in the offseason. It's actually exactly as he said above, regardless of what the 'rules' say, Gordon smokes a blunt on his own time. It's not like marijuana is a performance enhancer or anything that would reasonable. If I wanna have a few beers on my day off I should be able too, it's the same thing here in my opinion.

All i all though, I'm just frustrated as this kid just can't keep himself out of trouble and it really shouldn't be that hard. If he could just do it he'd have more than enough money to hold his own private parties with all his 'bad friends' and never get caught or have an issue.

I think this gif properly portrays how I feel about this ruling though...

Good post, SSOG, on how anyone could pre-approve Gordon's statement.

Although his attitude makes me bristle at almost everything Soulfly says, he's been pretty solid about owning his 4-6 and saying he was wrong, and he's accurate that he always gave himself a way out by acknowledging 16 games was possible. That's pretty stand up for the pool.

Its the guys who are dreaming, let alone guaranteeing, that Gordon will seek judicial review and that some circuit court in Ohio is going to issue a TRO on finding a strong likelihood that a general state statute with a lower standard is going to somehow supercede and negate the CBA terms for someone who bargained for and gains the benefit of those standards that ... I have to think are grasping at straws. (But, learning from Soulfly, I'll admit it could happen.)

none of them

crappy WR group questionable QB, just draft their defense
There have got to be WR's that will be cut that are better than the group they have......So I don't think their WR stable has been determined yet.
I'm a cowboys fan so i have a low opinion of Austin

im assuming we have seen the last of josh Gordon in the nfl

I am willing to place bets he will violate again before the offseason

I can't see him playing this year.

The only chance would be getting a court to grant a TRO, or settling for a lesser suspension by threatening to get a court to grant a TRO.

But his chances in court seem very bad, which means that the threat seems weak and provides no real leverage.

It can't be entirely ruled out, but I think the chance is small enough to be discounted completely for practical purposes.

Was it actually announced in May, or just leaked?

Not it wouldn't be.

Of course it would be... second hand smoke or not... Gordon clearly did this during his break from the team in the offseason. It's actually exactly as he said above, regardless of what the 'rules' say, Gordon smokes a blunt on his own time. It's not like marijuana is a performance enhancer or anything that would reasonable. If I wanna have a few beers on my day off I should be able too, it's the same thing here in my opinion.

All i all though, I'm just frustrated as this kid just can't keep himself out of trouble and it really shouldn't be that hard. If he could just do it he'd have more than enough money to hold his own private parties with all his 'bad friends' and never get caught or have an issue.

I think this gif properly portrays how I feel about this ruling though...
The point isn't about whether the policy is a sound one or not.

Matt Miller ‏@nfldraftscout 22m

Josh Gordon out for one calendar year, per NFL statement.

Hold up on those hopes of just 16 games
Doesn't seem to be any clear answer on this, even the NFL website has a headline on the main page which says "Josh Gordon's one-year suspension upheld on appeal" but then when you click on the link it takes you to an article that says "Josh Gordon appeal denied, suspended one season"

But Ian Rapoport was very specific that it was not one calendar year. Said he was eligible for reinstatement after the 2014 season.

Per @NFL, #Browns WR Josh Gordon’s eligibility for reinstatement is determined following the 2014 season. Suspension effective immediately
#Browns argued to be able to keep Josh Gordon around the facility while he’s suspended. They’ve wanted to help him.
WR Josh Gordon cannot be around the team facility during his suspension. Team had hoped to be able to work with him during time away

Was it actually announced in May, or just leaked?
According to Google (but I no longer have those windows open, so I can't provide links), it was leaked before the draft on May 2, and then leaked again by ESPN on May 9, and then officially handed down in May (but the story I looked at didn't give the specific date).

Users who are viewing this thread