What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (8 Viewers)

I wonder if the NFL strategically made this a one season suspension vs. a one year suspension ...
The written decision hasn't been made available yet, but I suspect that this point is being misreported.I suspect that the initial suspension handed down in May was for one calendar year.I also suspect that the arbitrator's ruling was simply to uphold that suspension based on his conclusion that Gordon really did fail the drug test.The length of the suspension, I suspect, was not something that the arbitrator was given to rule on, so he would not have taken it upon himself to do so, except just to uphold the original suspension.I believe, therefore, that talk of less than a full calendar year is coming not from the arbitrator's decision, but rather from a league source discussing the league's intention to allow Gordon to apply for reinstatement early (perhaps in return for Gordon's promise not to sue in court).I could be proven wrong about all of that whenever the arbitrator's written decision is released, but that's my guess.
That's a fair point about when the original penalty was handed down. But typically the appeals process doesn't count as a "time served" so logically I don't think the NFL would have any reason to use May as the suspension start date.

Legally or tactically they may due to your points about Gordon suing etc. Although Cleveland sports radio is reportedly hopping with reports that Gordon is firing up the lawyers. Of course, sports radio is about worthless on this type of stuff a lot of times.

So the next screw up is a full lifetime ban, correct? Any chance of a conviction on the DUI charge (pushed to November) being that next screw up? Could have already have a lifetime suspension without any further infractions?
I don't think there is anything in the substance abuse policy about a lifetime ban. It's just that once you're in stage 3, you stay there forever and any violation in stage 3 results in a MINIMUM 1 year ban. Its always at the sole discretion of the commission if/when the player is reinstated to the NFL.
Lifetime bans come after a second indefinite suspension. I think Blackmon is closer to that fate than Gordon at this point, but I'm not sure.
I'm still not seeing anything in the Substance Abuse Policy about a lifetime ban. Maybe the commissioner would be unlikely to reinstate a player after multiple indefinite suspensions, but I can't find anything written that specifically calls for a "lifetime" ban. Here is the exact wording:

Stage Three.

a. Procedures.

(1) Term: A player in Stage Three will remain in Stage Three

for the remainder of his NFL career.

(2) Compliance with Treatment Plan: A player in Stage

Three must comply with the terms of his Treatment Plan, as

required in Stage Two and as may be developed and/or

amended in Stage Three.

(3) Testing: A player in Stage Three will be subject to

unannounced Testing. At the sole discretion of the Medical

Advisor, a player may or may not be tested; however, if he

is tested, he may be tested up to 10 times during any

calendar month. Such Testing shall include Testing for the

NFL Drug Panel and alcohol, but in addition Tests for other

substances of abuse will be conducted if the player’s

Treatment Plan requires abstention from and enumerates

testing for such substances. After being in Stage Three for

three seasons, a player may request of the Medical Advisor

that the number of tests that he is subject to be reduced.

The Medical Advisor may, but is not required to, agree to

the request. A player in Stage Three may not make this

request more often than annually. The Medical Advisor,

after consultation with the Medical Director, may extend or

resume this period of Testing.

(4) Evaluation: A player, while undergoing Stage Three

Testing, may be required to submit to further evaluation

and subsequent treatment at the discretion of the Medical

Director.

b. Discipline.

(1) Discipline for Failure to Comply in Stage Three: A

player who fails to cooperate with testing, treatment,

evaluation or other requirements imposed on him by this

Policy or fails to comply with his Treatment Plan, both as

determined by the Medical Director, or who has a Positive

Test, will be banished from the NFL for a minimum period

of one calendar year.

(2) Banishment: A player banished from the NFL pursuant to

subsection (1) above will be required to adhere to his

Treatment Plan and the provisions of this Intervention

Program during his banishment. During a player’s period of

banishment, his contract with an NFL club shall be tolled.

c. Reinstatement.

(1) Criteria: After the completion of the one-year banishment

period, the Commissioner, in his sole discretion, will

determine if and when the player will be allowed to return

to the NFL. A player’s failure to adhere to his Treatment

Plan during his banishment will be a significant

consideration in the Commissioner’s decision of whether to

reinstate a player. A player seeking reinstatement must

meet certain clinical requirements as determined by the

Medical Director and other requirements as set forth in

Appendix B.

(2) Procedures After Reinstatement: If a player is reinstated,

he will remain in Stage Three for the remainder of his NFL

career, subject to continued Testing and indefinite

banishment. A player allowed to return to the NFL

following a banishment must participate in continued

treatment under this Intervention Program as required by

the Medical Director.

The biggest punishment is Gordon cannot be around the facility and on the sidelines at the games....actually one way he can help himself stay clean. Instead, he is sent 100% of the time to the place where he messes up. Congrats to the NFL on helping a young man.
Yeah. Imagine expecting a guy who can make tens of millions in a part time job to be responsible for his own behavior. We must have a nanny state, dammit!
What if he was an got a second hand exposure?

I mean, he probably WASNT smoking weed.

Wrong place, wrong time, plainly but he barely failed a test and one was clean.

Policy for policy sake with a commissioner who has written the book on being discretionary is tough to take.

Gordon did his "crime" and will do his time, that's fine. It's a closed issue.

And if the responsibility quotient is what you feel, your thoughts on Irsay and Rice, who have no grey area in their offenses.
if you think he walked by a joint and failed this test you are not living in the real world.

I'd've been happy if Rice got a season, I'd be happy if the NFL and NFLPA were concerned enough a bout domestic abuse to spell it out in the CBA, they were not. How much time a player can practice matters to them, how much you get penalized for knocking a womn out not so much...

If you think Rice's suspension should be more than gordon's i agree, that just means Rice should have gone away for a long ### time. Gordon's punishment was very clearly defined, there's no reason that when this policy is being applied to others it should not apply to him

Caesar? Really? Ok You want to go back that far then Here's the rule:

When you step into the ring, You accept the rules.

It really is that simple.

0.01 nanograms per milliliter is what he failed by....that is not a lot for you non-scientists.
Doesn't matter if it was 0.01 or 100,000,000, he failed, broke the rules and got his punishment. In most workplaces you fail a drug test your done for life with that firm, no one year lay off
The other thing that no one knows is what was his reading was the day before or three days before? How do we know the low reading was not at the tail end, and was much higher earlier in the week?

No one will know the answer, but just looking at it from another angle rather than just saying he had a trace level in his system. It could have been higher earlier before the test was given.

I wonder if the NFL strategically made this a one season suspension vs. a one year suspension ...
The written decision hasn't been made available yet, but I suspect that this point is being misreported.I suspect that the initial suspension handed down in May was for one calendar year.I also suspect that the arbitrator's ruling was simply to uphold that suspension based on his conclusion that Gordon really did fail the drug test.The length of the suspension, I suspect, was not something that the arbitrator was given to rule on, so he would not have taken it upon himself to do so, except just to uphold the original suspension.I believe, therefore, that talk of less than a full calendar year is coming not from the arbitrator's decision, but rather from a league source discussing the league's intention to allow Gordon to apply for reinstatement early (perhaps in return for Gordon's promise not to sue in court).I could be proven wrong about all of that whenever the arbitrator's written decision is released, but that's my guess.
That's a fair point about when the original penalty was handed down. But typically the appeals process doesn't count as a "time served" so logically I don't think the NFL would have any reason to use May as the suspension start date.

Legally or tactically they may due to your points about Gordon suing etc. Although Cleveland sports radio is reportedly hopping with reports that Gordon is firing up the lawyers. Of course, sports radio is about worthless on this type of stuff a lot of times.
And again, the message being sent is "it's ok Josh, rules do not apply to you, you are special!"

Someone should send the message

"Hey, #######, your job requires you to not smoke weed, don't be near weed, period no exceptions."

The biggest punishment is Gordon cannot be around the facility and on the sidelines at the games....actually one way he can help himself stay clean. Instead, he is sent 100% of the time to the place where he messes up. Congrats to the NFL on helping a young man.
Yeah. Imagine expecting a guy who can make tens of millions in a part time job to be responsible for his own behavior. We must have a nanny state, dammit!
a nanny state eh. like one that punishes ppl for smoking weed?

0.01 nanograms per milliliter is what he failed by....that is not a lot for you non-scientists.
Can you convert that into Doritos consumed for we simpletons?
Doesn't matter if it was 0.01 or 100,000,000, he failed, broke the rules and got his punishment. In most workplaces you fail a drug test your done for life with that firm, no one year lay off
I hope you never get pulled over and blow a .080. I would assume there is some built in clinically accepted margin of error for the amount? If so, Gordon and his legal staff should have definitely challenged the result and possible suspension. I'm assuming they had expert toxicology testimony stating that Gordon's results were well within the accepted margin of error, and I'm surprised that didn't create enough doubt to carry the day.
Where I work I have a company vehicle. If I get a DUI, I am fired, done, kicked to the curve, no appeal. Margin of error doesn't matter, I know the company policy. You know how I handle this, I have a designed driver when I go out and have a few drinks. It's really not that hard to play by the rules. The NFL drug policy is the same for every player, doesn't matter if it was second hand smoke etc,. when you know the rules you don't get yourself into those situations or hang out where drugs are being used. It's not that hard.
This isn't really a football topic anymore but the hard part is stopping yourself from saying, "What are the odds that I'm going to get in this car with a bag of weed and get pulled over?" and doing it after you conclude that this sort of stuff happens to other people and not you.

Humans are funny that way. I should have unplugged the toaster before I fished out my bagel with a knife but I didn't. I'm smart. I'm careful. I'm not going to get electrocuted. That stuff happens to other idiots...

Just landed in Seattle, cross country flight that got me up way to early. Gonna finish up a bit of work, get a light workout in, pickup some stuff to grill and then decide if I want to smoke a bowl or have a bourbon.

Sometimes it must suck to play in the NFL.
If you're not a moron who gets into the substance abuse program then you can do blow in Vegas bathrooms and get caught doing it.
I don't have to hide getting caught doing anything I'm doing.

Totally Gordon's fault. He f'ed up, just saying it sucks that in a few years none of his "crimes" would matter.

Just landed in Seattle, cross country flight that got me up way to early. Gonna finish up a bit of work, get a light workout in, pickup some stuff to grill and then decide if I want to smoke a bowl or have a bourbon.

If you're not a moron who gets into the substance abuse program then you can do blow in Vegas bathrooms and get caught doing it.
I don't have to hide getting caught doing anything I'm doing.

Totally Gordon's fault. He f'ed up, just saying it sucks that in a few years none of his "crimes" would matter.
Employers from truck drivers to police departments to accountants will continue to test for it or prohibit it as a matter of personal conduct for years to come.

Yeah, I may not have been clear. I wasn't saying that Gordon would get credit for time served during the appeal process (when he was practicing and playing in preseason games). I was saying that I suspect that the arbitrator upheld the original one-year suspension, meaning that Gordon would be eligible for reinstatement on August 27, 2015. I'd be a bit surprised if the arbitrator's ruling said anything inconsistent with that.

I suspect that reports about Gordon being able to apply for reinstatement well before August 27, 2015, are likely not based on the arbitrator's decision, but are probably based on something said by some other league source. The league can, and sometimes does, reduce suspensions. That decision, IMO, would probably be made by Goodell, not by the arbitrator.

I don't have to hide getting caught doing anything I'm doing.Totally Gordon's fault. He f'ed up, just saying it sucks that in a few years none of his "crimes" would matter.
Employers from truck drivers to police departments to accountants will continue to test for it or prohibit it as a matter of personal conduct for years to come.
That's true. They should in many jobs.

Playing wide receiver probably isn't one of them where it is as important.

My buddy who is a Browns fan is babbling about Gordon suing the league because they are supposed to rule within 5 days of the appeal. My understanding is that the league no longer is the one making the ruling and that it is an independent arbitrator now so the 5 days thing is out the window under the new policy enacted last year.

Can anyone confirm one way or the other on that?
It's not the NFL that's supposed to rule; it's the arbitrator. And he's supposed to rule "within a reasonable time." I think 23 days is unreasonably long, myself, but ten days would have been reasonable. And the difference between the two isn't all that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. If Gordon stays out of trouble between now and then, he'll probably be able to negotiate a reduction of the suspension by at least 13 days, I would think, without filing a lawsuit.
I don't understand why it's unreasonably long. I've used an arbitrator a few times in my business to settle property disputes, and even the simple ones take at least 2-3 months. Usually these guys are jammed with cases, and that's the reason for the delay. It seems to me that 23 days is a very short time indeed.

It just seemed long to us because we play fantasy football and it;s draft time. Otherwise, who would care how long it took?

3 questions:

1. Is he paid during the suspension?

2. Is he paid for the preseason games?

3. Does this affect his contract with the Browns in anyway? In other words, if he had 3 years left on his contract, next year he'll have 2, etc.?

3 questions:

3. Does this affect his contract with the Browns in anyway? In other words, if he had 3 years left on his contract, next year he'll have 2, etc.?
No

No

No

"I'll take 'Three words Josh Gordon never heard for 200', Alex"

for the record,

I believe Prater has a much better claim to being screwed than Gordon. Still my message to him would be the same, abide by the rules and have your union change them

3 questions:

1. No.

2. Yes, for the ones he's already suited up for. But it's only a few hundred bucks a week, I think.

3. Good question. I believe that he'd have to be eligible to play in at least six games in order for it to count as a contract year, which would mean that if he had three years left before this, he'll still have three years left when he returns.

Last edited by a moderator:
I still think he's getting a very raw deal. He very likely had only a 2nd hand exposure.

When I compare this with the Ray Rice thing, I feel a sense of injustice.

3 questions:

1. No, he forfeits his salary

2. I believe players get small stipends during the preseason but their salary is divided by game checks.

3. Yes, he now is one more full season away from free agency - likely the biggest punishment of all to come out of this.

Look, I support legalized pot - and I've never used it. But that isn't the issue.

Here's the situation: an employer comes to you and says,"Hey, we really like the work you do. We're willing to pay you $50M to do it for us over the next 6 years because you are so exceptional. But here's a rule of ours that you cannot break: we do not condone smoking pot. We will test you randomly whenever we please. If you are caught with even half the amount considered to be second hand smoke in your system, you will be fired on the spot. That is the contract."

Do you think you could manage to comply under those conditions? This isn't the government making the use illegal, this is a private company employing someone with the express contracted conditions - which all parties are aware of - that they expect someone working for them to comply with those contracted conditions. If you choose to work in that environment, you are subject to the contract and either choose to comply or risk termination. It really is that simple.

Why should the company then feel compelled to monitor your behavior constantly to ensure that you are complying with the contract? You entered into the agreement freely. If you know you have a weakness that may cost you the opportunity, why is it incumbent upon the company and not upon yourself to deal with that as necessary to make sure you do not risk violating the contracted policy?

3 questions:

2. I believe players get small stipends during the preseason but their salary is divided by game checks.

3. Yes, he now is one more full season away from free agency - likely the biggest punishment of all to come out of this.
So regarding point 3, if he had 3 more years left on his contract, those 3 years begin in 2015?

3 questions:

1. No.

2. Yes, for the ones he's already suited up for. But it's only a few hundred bucks a week, I think.

3. Good question. I believe that he'd have to be eligible to play for at least six games in order for it to count as a contract year, which would mean that if he had three years left before this, he'll still have three years left when he returns.
3. His contract is suspended as well. Meaning that during his suspension his contract is frozen and picks up where it left off.

3 questions:

So regarding point 3, if he had 3 more years left on his contract, those 3 years begin in 2015?
Yes, you need to play in 6 NFL games to qualify as a season played. Forgive me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly sure that's the case. I believe that was the issue when Vincent Jackson threatened to sit out the season when - he had to come back by Week 10 or it wouldn't count towards his NFL service time.

My buddy who is a Browns fan is babbling about Gordon suing the league because they are supposed to rule within 5 days of the appeal. My understanding is that the league no longer is the one making the ruling and that it is an independent arbitrator now so the 5 days thing is out the window under the new policy enacted last year.

Can anyone confirm one way or the other on that?
It's not the NFL that's supposed to rule; it's the arbitrator. And he's supposed to rule "within a reasonable time." I think 23 days is unreasonably long, myself, but ten days would have been reasonable. And the difference between the two isn't all that big a deal in the grand scheme of things. If Gordon stays out of trouble between now and then, he'll probably be able to negotiate a reduction of the suspension by at least 13 days, I would think, without filing a lawsuit.
I don't understand why it's unreasonably long. I've used an arbitrator a few times in my business to settle property disputes, and even the simple ones take at least 2-3 months. Usually these guys are jammed with cases, and that's the reason for the delay. It seems to me that 23 days is a very short time indeed.It just seemed long to us because we play fantasy football and it;s draft time. Otherwise, who would care how long it took?
I tend to agree. Gordon's lawyers presented evidence for something like 3 days and reportedly submitted a TON of evidence, if the arbitrator was going through all the evidence and testimony and checking it for its veracity, I could see how that would take some time.

3 questions:

Yes, you need to play in 6 NFL games to qualify as a season played. Forgive me if I'm wrong but I'm fairly sure that's the case. I believe that was the issue when Vincent Jackson threatened to sit out the season when - he had to come back by Week 10 or it wouldn't count towards his NFL service time.
OK thanks. Well you're right, that is quite a punishment.

That bunch will never get it

3 questions:

One more question- I assume that if you suffer an injury that ends up having you miss most of the season, but the team doesn't put you on IR (like Percy Harvin last year), you're still paid, right?

Hopefully he gets help for his addiction and the league stops policing what natural plants--less harmful to self and others than alcohol--a player can invite into his body in his free time.

147 pages.

And next year we have to go through it all again leading up to potential reinstatement at the tail end off draft season.

Server upgrade may be required.

• Smile
Reactions: Jed

I don't have to hide getting caught doing anything I'm doing.Totally Gordon's fault. He f'ed up, just saying it sucks that in a few years none of his "crimes" would matter.

Sure, but that's up to the NFL decide, and they just might conclude that it is worth testing for years to come. There are 32 conservative billionaires plus Mr. 'no proof needed' Goodell, plus some serious workplace liability issues.

Next step ..will the legal team go for an injunction in the courts?
Yeah, this is obviously the next step. Blown away that it took that long to just uphold the original suspension.
It took long because the league was well aware that Gordon's legal team was going for the nuclear option if the suspension wasn't overturned, they tried to tie up all the loose ends.This is only in the 4th or 5th inning.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Sure, but that's up to the NFL decide, and they just might conclude that it is worth testing for years to come. There are 32 conservative billionaires plus Mr. 'no proof needed' Goodell, plus some serious workplace liability issues.
Which would be what exactly?

Curious about this part. What harm is a person more likely to do, to self or others, while high on marijuana?

AND REMEMEBER

the NFLPA is holding on for its own HGH baseline testing to try and get higher legal levels than WADA, but it was fine signing off on weed levels that are 1/10th of the WADA levels.

priorities...the NFLPA was fine with bashing weed users and even drinkers, but draws the line at HGH

so if the Gordon suspension is messed up, don't point only at the NFL, point at the NFLPA as well

3 questions:

One more question- I assume that if you suffer an injury that ends up having you miss most of the season, but the team doesn't put you on IR (like Percy Harvin last year), you're still paid, right?
Yes - if your injury was football related even if you are placed on IR you are still paid.

3 questions:

The player is paid even if on IR. IR is more about the salary cap effects and roster management.

Question for dynasty owners out there: Is Gordon a drop or will you burn a roster spot for the season?
Burn the roster spot, pray he stays out of trouble (doubtful), sell in a year when the reinstatement buzz starts.

Or hope you have one of these fantasy Matlocks in your league and trade him now.

Users who are viewing this thread