What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (10 Viewers)

Insane overpay or insane underpay?

A 5th has tangible value.  A 7th is a lottery ticket.  Its a risk for NE, but I risk with big upside.  Standard stuff.
Except for the part where the Browns lose an extremely talented WR, of course. 

That has value too. Apparently not more than conditional 5th round value, to the Browns. 

What kind of WR talent is usually drafted in the 5th round? I think it is safe to say nothing remotely close to Gordon. How can no other team offer the Browns even a 4th round pick for him?
Yeah, this is an absolute no-brainer for the Pats, who gives a crap about a 5th rounder? I can't believe CLE actually let him go for that even if there's a 10% chance it blows up in their face. They must think very little of Gordon.

CLE waited 5 years for Gordon just to trade him to NE for a 5th.  :lmao:

Except for the part where the Browns lose an extremely talented WR, of course. 

That has value too. Apparently not more than conditional 5th round value, to the Browns. 
You keep saying that and while he certainly has the potential to be a great one, after 6 years in CLE I can tell you that it's going to take some PFM to make him great again.

Regardless any concerning issue with learning Patriots' complex offensive schemes, Gordon should be okay with utilizing a few routes especially as Go route.  Gronk, Edelman, Patterson, and pass-catching RBs will handle the short and intermediate area.  Brady will make every defensive opponent pay if double-cover one of his receivers. 

I’ve see a lot of crazy #### in my years watching football, but nothing like some of the trades we’ve seen this year. 

Why would any team deal with the Hoodie? And especially why would the Browns? 
In this case I’ll side with the Browns. Just imagine the stuff they had to deal with from Gordon that you didn’t hear about over the last 5-6 years. He goes from doing whatever in Cleveland to arguable the strictest environment in football. Don’t be shocked if he’s cut before Halloween. 

And from a fantasy perspective this was one of the worst landing spots. Hogan, Edelman coming back soon, Gronk and they throw to RB’s a ton. Oh, and he has to learn a playbook and deal with McDaniels. Enjoy those 2 targets a game. 

You keep saying that and while he certainly has the potential to be a great one, after 6 years in CLE I can tell you that it's going to take some PFM to make him great again.
This is a good point.  CLE said they preferred to trade outside the AFC.  I think this confirms they could find no suitors....or no one offering better than a 5th rounder.

There's also the possibility that kindler, gentler Hue wanted the best for Josh....lmao.

Yeah, this is an absolute no-brainer for the Pats, who gives a crap about a 5th rounder? I can't believe CLE actually let him go for that even if there's a 10% chance it blows up in their face. They must think very little of Gordon.

CLE waited 5 years for Gordon just to trade him to NE for a 5th.  :lmao:
Please. Stop. You're not making my head hurt any less.. You know what? I need to go I can't read this anymore. Unbelievable that the Browns did this when other teams were ready to give as high as a 3rd or 4th.

Own him in redraft but still think he's just gonna be a deep threat decoy who get a few passes thrown his way. Hope I wrong.

Please. Stop. You're not making my head hurt any less.. You know what? I need to go I can't read this anymore. Unbelievable that the Browns did this when other teams were ready to give as high as a 3rd or 4th.
If it weren't the Browns I would say that that's just not possible, because if they were then that's what we'd be reading about.

But Cleveland.

Really? Who?
The Jets were rumored (in NY so take with a grain of salt) to be inquiring and the thought was on the sports talk circuit that the Jets would go as high as a 4th for Gordon. If negotiations truly got heavy I could see the Jets blink, people are excited in NY for the Jets and the FO wants to get Darnold more weapons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Own him in redraft but still think he's just gonna be a deep threat decoy who get a few passes thrown his way. Hope I wrong.
Maybe at first. But he's the kind of weapon who can be productive at all three levels. I'd bet that he'll be a primary target after the bye week.

Maybe at first. But he's the kind of weapon who can be productive at all three levels. I'd bet that he'll be a primary target after the bye week.
Brady always has his favorites. Edelman, and Hogan are already in his wheelhouse. I very much doubt Josh Gordon takes over primary targets over those two. And Grunke is number one, regardless, so.... 

I would even put him behind James White as fifth in the pecking order for targets . 

But hey, in this crazy insane topsy-turvy world, I could be completely wrong. 

And regarding the question as to WHY the Patriots - anyone think that they Browns simply decided that THEY could not help JG (because of the atmosphere, triggers, etc) and they are trying to help him and help themselves now. 

Had they cut him (if they were even capable), he could have gone where ever he wanted.  That is what they were trying to do.  I think they may want him to be successful.  I think (possibly) the Browns don't harbor any real ill will towards JG. 

The whole thing is crazy to happen 2 weeks in and have a 10 game clause.   

I now think there is about a 17% chance that Gordon is fantasy relevant this year.
I'll put it at 50/50.  Imagine Gordon arrives in Foxboro and is greeted by BB, Brady and Randy Moss.  Later, Randy takes him aside and explains that Bill doesn't care if you smoke, but if you test hot you're gone, so let me show you how to not test hot.  Pretty basic stuff really.

I know the Pats are famous for acquiring “outlier” WRs for a lack of a better word & precious few have been productive, but how many came to them in their physical prime & with that much raw talent?

Moss comes to mind on the talent side of it, but I don’t know how old he was without looking. I’m think Gordon has a huge leg up on the vast majority of those guys.
Agreed. Unlike those guys Gordon is an elite physical talent.

Gordon probably won’t work out and if he doesn’t the Patriots paid a small price to acquire him...If he does work out it’s a massive upgrade for New England. And on a personal level I couldn’t think of a better place for Gordon to land. If anyone can help turn around Gordon’s life (obviously far more important than any silly game) it’s Belichic/Kraft and the Patriots organization. It’s a win/win for NE and Gordon.

Whew - that was a close one. I accidentally clicked the “notify me of responses to this thread” option. 

That’s the only worse decision I can fathom than trading away a potential top WR to the Patriots. I mean, Gmail only gives us so much for free. 

I'll put it at 50/50.  Imagine Gordon arrives in Foxboro and is greeted by BB, Brady and Randy Moss.  Later, Randy takes him aside and explains that Bill doesn't care if you smoke, but if you test hot you're gone, so let me show you how to not test hot.  Pretty basic stuff really.
I assume the equipment guys that Brady used also can give clean samples?

The Jets were rumored (in NY so take with a grain of salt) to be inquiring and the thought was on the sports talk circuit that the Jets would go as high as a 4th for Gordon. If negotiations truly got heavy I could see the Jets blink, people are excited in NY for the Jets and the FO wants to get Darnold more weapons.
So rumors and innuendo, got it :thumbup:

Who knows what this really means.  I've seen other players go to NE and flop, or is he Randy Moss II in NE?
I agree.  I suspect he wont play for a few games.  Even then I suspect he wont get more than 4 targets a game once in the games, for a while.  And then whether he ever gets more will be on whether he demonstrates that he deserves more in practice and games.  And then the 1 strike sword of Damocles will always hang over him.   

Users who are viewing this thread