What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (12 Viewers)

Andy Dufresne said:
It's not really that sad anymore. That ended after chance #3, IMO.

Hot Sauce Guy said:
I mean, it’s always sad. Maybe no shock to it any more, but it’s never not sad when anyone succumbs to addiction like that.
Strangely, I think you are both right.

I do feel empathy and some sadness to see someone so talented yet so troubled not be able to live up to their potential and succumb to the darkness of addiction.

But as with any addict, there is only so much support around them can do -- the person needs to be ready to make that change in their heart as well as their mind. 

Gordon did not seem to be ready. And that's on him.

Hopefully he is ready one day, before the stakes are more meaningful than simply losing the opportunity to play pro sports. There is a lot more to lose than simply money.

459 pages for a marginally talented WR never has been.

let's not put him in the Bo Jackson 'what could have been' bracket. 

and don't put him in with the Doc Goodens of the world, or D. Strawberry.

this guy wasn't anything spectacular, he had one decent 1/2 season and suspended the remainder of his career.

Shows that the cheatin' Pats knew he was no longer sober/clean, and they cut him loose

Chris Carter had an equally sad career, initially, and turned it around. maybe HE should have 459 pages in the thread instead of a nobody, never has been like Gordon?

what, are we supposed to have sympathy or something? he did this to himself. he wasn't more than a flash in the pan, one season one hit wonder, anyways.

this guy wasn't anything spectacular, he had one decent 1/2 season and suspended the remainder of his career.

Shows that the cheatin' Pats knew he was no longer sober/clean, and they cut him loose

Chris Carter had an equally sad career, initially, and turned it around. maybe HE should have 459 pages in the thread instead of a nobody, never has been like Gordon?

what, are we supposed to have sympathy or something? he did this to himself. he wasn't more than a flash in the pan, one season one hit wonder, anyways.
You don’t have to have sympathy, there are sadder cases in this world for that. However I disagree that he was a marginally talented receiver. Had he not been under the influence and been focused on his improving his craft he had a chance to be very good. He had all of the natural talent in the world, but that was never developed anywhere near its potential due to his off field actions. 

On the plus side, his 1-58 performance during the fantasy football playoffs was one of his best performances in a half decade.  He was actually WR57 in ppr which meant he was useable as a below average WR5 in leagues where you have very deep starting requirements.  

Oh, your league deducts two points for INTs.  That drops Gordon to WR72 which was typical of his fantasy football playoff for years.  If there's one thing we can say about Josh, his output was very dependable and consistent in the FF playoffs.

Sad day again. There was sort of a big, fat NO this time about hoping he'd be a viable fantasy guy, now just hoping he gets help and peace.  

Last edited by a moderator:
Wu-banger said:
NFL does not consider weed a "substance of abuse"  - that's saved for harder drugs that Gordon has a long history of....
Ok, but that wasn't really my question.  The statement read PEDs and substances of abuse.  So he tested positive for (at least) two different kind of things, with two very different purposes. 

Hopefully he is ready one day, before the stakes are more meaningful than simply losing the opportunity to play pro sports. There is a lot more to lose than simply money.
This may be “rock bottom” which, sadly, is what it usually takes. 

ps - I can’t message you. I need your shipping address since I owe ya sauce from the K contest! You can email me at scott@luckydoghotsauce.com

Last edited by a moderator:

did it to himself? Maybe to a point but try walking a mile in his shoes and see where you end up.

Bigboy10182000 said:
Why do people think all football players like the game? It’s just a job to some 🤷‍♂️

He’s working the system and getting what he wants. Makes a few million than back to the party. Beats applying at Beat Buy right?
how could you possibly know this?

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports suspended Seahawks WR Josh Gordon intends to play in 2020.

Per Fowler, "commissioner Roger Goodell will oversee Gordon's reinstatement attempt." Gordon is currently serving his sixth suspension since 2013, this one for violating both the league's substance-abuse and PED policies. The league's new CBA takes a much more lenient approach to substance abuse, with marijuana suspensions no longer a possibility. Gordon turns 29 next month.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Mar 19, 2020, 12:23 AM ET

I wonder if my old Walkman works. Maybe my original Atari I had back in the 70s/80s. These items are as relevant today as Josh Gordon to my rosters. 

ProFootballTalk's Mike Florio reports free agent WR Josh Gordon will apply for reinstatement soon.

Gordon has been with the Browns, Patriot and Seahawks since 2018. He still demonstrated some field-stretching ability, but it's been awhile since we've seen the unstoppable force that took over the league back in 2013. The good news is that Gordon's willingness to join the Seahawks in 2019 as their No. 3 WR means he's likely more than fine with competing for a backup role. There are still plenty of obstacles ahead of reinstatement, but here's to rooting for Flash in 2020 and beyond.

SOURCE: Profootballtalk.nbcsports.com

May 21, 2020, 11:26 AM ET

ProFootballTalk's Mike Florio reports free agent WR Josh Gordon will apply for reinstatement soon.

Gordon has been with the Browns, Patriot and Seahawks since 2018. He still demonstrated some field-stretching ability, but it's been awhile since we've seen the unstoppable force that took over the league back in 2013. The good news is that Gordon's willingness to join the Seahawks in 2019 as their No. 3 WR means he's likely more than fine with competing for a backup role. There are still plenty of obstacles ahead of reinstatement, but here's to rooting for Flash in 2020 and beyond.

SOURCE: Profootballtalk.nbcsports.com

May 21, 2020, 11:26 AM ET
I wish him the best, but I am tired of hearing about Josh Gordon.

I did drop him in dynasty. I don't ever see him being a productive member worthy of a roster spot again. I said it. I've given up. 

Free agent WR Josh Gordon applied for reinstatement Wednesday.

An all too familiar situation for Gordon. He's reportedly been training in Seattle in hopes of being reinstated in time for training camp. The lax nature of the new CBA regarding marijuana could be huge for Gordon, who is certainly running out of chances with NFL teams. Still just 29, Gordon should be able to land another job, perhaps back with the Seahawks.

SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter

Jun 18, 2020, 1:56 PM ET

Since his breakout season in 2013, Gordon has averaged 3.17 receptions, 53 receiving yards, and 0.2 TD per game across 56 games. That works out to a projected 16-game production line of 51-847-3 (assuming, of course, that he could stay in the lineup every game). Last year, those season totals would have allowed Gordon to rank as WR45 in PPR leagues.

Given that he is both looking to get reinstated and get signed by a team, he runs the risk of another limited training camp and having to learn a team's playbook on the fly again. Maybe he can pull off a miracle comeback, but that is getting less and less likely.

Under the new CBA, how many of his suspensions would no longer have occurred? I don't know the answer, but I am under the impression that the new CBA could enable him to stay eligible this time.

I assume he will never regain his 2013 form, but I think he can help an NFL team. I expect him to be reinstated and sign with Seattle, where he will presumably be their WR3 behind Lockett and Metcalf. That won't make him fantasy useful, but it would certainly help the Seattle offense IMO.

Gordon is still a useful NFL WR. He averaged over 70 yards per start in 2018 for NE, and was at almost 50 per start despite being banged up last year. He could add quite a bit to a WR room. His #1 days are over, no doubt there, but very few teams have 3 WR's better than Gordon. 

Under the new CBA, how many of his suspensions would no longer have occurred? I don't know the answer, but I am under the impression that the new CBA could enable him to stay eligible this time.

I assume he will never regain his 2013 form, but I think he can help an NFL team. I expect him to be reinstated and sign with Seattle, where he will presumably be their WR3 behind Lockett and Metcalf. That won't make him fantasy useful, but it would certainly help the Seattle offense IMO.
Given that the league can't announce why a player in the substance abuse program was suspended, it would be impossible to "know" and all we could really do is speculate. IIRC, the first NE suspension was rumored to be for more than just weed. I also thought he got into trouble earlier on for missing a drug test, although I can't remember for sure. I also thought he was on probation and got caught drinking alcohol, so not sure if that would count as a strike or not these days.

JG's lawyer came out recently and said his relapse last November was due to the death of his brother. While that might be the reason for a relapse, it doesn't really fit with how things ended in NE in October (which was BEFORE the death of his brother). From what I remember being discussed at the time, there were reports that he started acting differently. I heard talk that he wasn't giving them a breakdown of his daily schedule and his whereabouts (that was on the team's list of requirements), didn't always respond to calls or texts, started being late for team functions and practices, and his effort on the field was called into question. No one ever went on record suggesting he was using again, but there were people on or around the team that suggested his behavior and demeanor had changed.

Well, Seattle signed him and reportedly loved him during his time with the team. They will seemingly will consider bringing him back. So regardless of how it ended in NE, it didn't affect their view of his time with the Seahawks. :shrug:  

It is also worth noting, he is reportedly still suspended for his first two regular season games back, whenever that is.

ESPN's Jeremy Fowler reports suspended free agent Josh Gordon expects a decision on his reinstatement application within the next 30 days. 

Fowler reports it will be commissioner Roger Goodell presiding. If 29-year-old Gordon gets the go-ahead, he will be an unrestricted free agent for the first time in his career. On his ninth NFL life, Gordon nevertheless seems likely to get yet another chance.  

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter 

Jun 25, 2020, 2:41 PM ET

My guess is since he couldn’t make it two years with Pats he is about done. Rumors here are he was high and drunk at team meetings in the morning. Then decided to just not show up on time. Sad given the level of pay he could get. Pissed it all away. 

Users who are viewing this thread