What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (12 Viewers)

So he’ll apply “soon”. 

Wow, that’s a whole lot of drugs he was on. 

Definitely explains why he went back to rehab. 

Wonder if he’ll be as good without the coke, Xanax, weed, etc.  :shrug:

So effing happy for Gordon the person, and hopefully Gordon the player. 

This can potentially be one of the best 30 for 30s,when his career ends 8-10yrs from now. 

The NFL is better with him. And the fact he kept himself in prime condition speaks volumes 

How are you possibly doing an "I told you so"? He's not in the NFL. The Browns were noncommittal on wanting him back. We have no idea what the reinstatement process is. 

I think you took this cake out of the oven a bit soon. 
He just got out of 90 day rehab.  Isn't he going to have to stay clean for a year?   It's 2018 until he can return, at best.  

Anyone know if the rumors are true that, even if he reapplies and is miraculously and immediately reinstated... he still has a 4-game suspension to serve?

He just got out of 90 day rehab.  Isn't he going to have to stay clean for a year?   It's 2018 until he can return, at best.  
I dunno about that - I think he was allowed to reapply on Sept 21st (according to his personal trainer/life coach) - but IIRC he also said that was going to happen weeks ago, and it didn't. 

As far as I know there's no requirement that Gordon stay clean for a year. And as good as it is that he went back to rehab (and I am genuinely happy for Gordon if his life is back on track) admitting that the 1st time was a publicity stunt may not endear him to Goodell. 

It seems what's most relevant in order of importance is, 

1. When Gordon applies for reinstatement, what priority will Goodell place on it. 

2. Even if Goodell places a high priority on reinstatement, how long will that process take. 

3. What will the Browns do? If they want him back (questionable, given their non-involvement with this process to date and their statements indicating otherwise) then he'll be back in _______ time, will take _______ time to get into football shape, and will take _______ time to learn the playbook?  

3A. If the Browns do not want him back, then what? Do they release him? Trade him to another team? And if that happens, the same questions above about timing apply. 

It's week 6. 1/3 of the way through the season. I bet the NY Giants would be willing to deal a lot for him if everything checks out? 

Anyone know if the rumors are true that, even if he reapplies and is miraculously and immediately reinstated... he still has a 4-game suspension to serve?
I hadn't heard that, but I'm not sure why since he's still suspended "indefinitely" right now. That's what he's being reinstated from. He is currently suspended. 

I hadn't heard that, but I'm not sure why since he's still suspended "indefinitely" right now. That's what he's being reinstated from. He is currently suspended. 
I think there's a difference from a suspension from all football-related activity and a game suspension. The former you're not even allowed at team facilities and the latter you're just not in pads on gameday. 

that explains passing out at Taco Bell Drive thru .... When they said weed did that to him.... all I could think was pass that #### my way bro... Id love me some of that! Pills will knock you out...but never Trees  

Last edited by a moderator:
I dunno about that - I think he was allowed to reapply on Sept 21st (according to his personal trainer/life coach) - but IIRC he also said that was going to happen weeks ago, and it didn't. 

As far as I know there's no requirement that Gordon stay clean for a year. And as good as it is that he went back to rehab (and I am genuinely happy for Gordon if his life is back on track) admitting that the 1st time was a publicity stunt may not endear him to Goodell. 

1. When Gordon applies for reinstatement, what priority will Goodell place on it. 

2. Even if Goodell places a high priority on reinstatement, how long will that process take. 

3. What will the Browns do? If they want him back (questionable, given their non-involvement with this process to date and their statements indicating otherwise) then he'll be back in _______ time, will take _______ time to get into football shape, and will take _______ time to learn the playbook?  

3A. If the Browns do not want him back, then what? Do they release him? Trade him to another team? And if that happens, the same questions above about timing apply. 

It's week 6. 1/3 of the way through the season. I bet the NY Giants would be willing to deal a lot for him if everything checks out? 
Why would the NYG deal a lot for this guy?  They're 0-5, and there's no way to know what he'd be able to contribute if they did get him.

They'd be better off with Terrell Owens.  Not kidding.

The Browns would have until three weeks from today to trade him. That's the trade deadline. I have no idea if players that are on indefinite suspension can be traded. I highly doubt he would be reinstated by then. 

The Browns would have until three weeks from today to trade him. That's the trade deadline. I have no idea if players that are on indefinite suspension can be traded. I highly doubt he would be reinstated by then. 
Yep - that adds complexity.  So it seems the best case scenario for Gordon owners is that the Browns elect to keep him, and bring him up to speed on the playbook/conditioning. He had no preseason - I would think that'd be at least a 2-3 week process. 

So again, time-line for best case scenario: he applies this week, the Browns opt to keep him, and it takes him 3 weeks to get on the field? He's back by week 9 - which is the Browns BYE. Sooooo he comes back week 10? 

Hmmm

His belly looks a little pudgy in that video. Ripped everywhere else. He also states he hasn't 'trained' in 2 months in that video. You can't just fall into NFL shape, I don't care who you are. He used to have 'it' but I'm not convinced based on that video he still does. 

So should he be reinstated after, the only team he could play for this year would be the Browns?

Yep - that adds complexity.  So it seems the best case scenario for Gordon owners is that the Browns elect to keep him, and bring him up to speed on the playbook/conditioning. He had no preseason - I would think that'd be at least a 2-3 week process. 

So again, time-line for best case scenario: he applies this week, the Browns opt to keep him, and it takes him 3 weeks to get on the field? He's back by week 9 - which is the Browns BYE. Sooooo he comes back week 10? 

Hmmm
Did I hear 6 weeks of play time in there? And with the trade to NE and Brady throwing him the pill? I'm INNNNNNNNNNNN

Last edited by a moderator:
Did I hear 6 weeks? And with the trade to NE and Brady throwing him the pill? I'm INNNNNNNNNNNN
Except...

in my timeline I left out that Goodell would have to immediately reinstate him which I find extremely unlikely.

more likely that’s a 2-3 week process.

so you’re looking at week 11-12-13. 

God luck with that. 

This is more common than Baylor - this is the reality of college football being worth billions. This goes far, far, far beyond just Baylor. 

I know a D1 program that was giving out steroid protocols. Talk to guys that played at these programs and you hear all kind of stuff like this. 

Except...

in my timeline I left out that Goodell would have to immediately reinstate him which I find extremely unlikely.

God luck with that. 
He is facing a 4 game suspension after he gets reinstated for violating the substance abuse policy the last time. So absolute best case scenario you're getting him back around the timeframe you outlined above. Then we're plugging the guy into lineups fresh during the FF playoffs. I dropped him last week and I doubt I'll be picking him up again. 

He is facing a 4 game suspension after he gets reinstated for violating the substance abuse policy the last time. So absolute best case scenario you're getting him back around the timeframe you outlined above. Then we're plugging the guy into lineups fresh during the FF playoffs. I dropped him last week and I doubt I'll be picking him up again. 
Or more realistically he’s back in weeks 16-17 or not at all. 

not exactly what I’d like to pin my championship on. Or take up a bench spot with, for that matter. 

You're gonna get suspended for 4 games now, oh voice of REASON!

Mark my words. Josh Gordon will put up 227 and 3 TD's in your championship game. #kickyoselflater

So should he be reinstated after, the only team he could play for this year would be the Browns?
If Gordon gets reinstated after 10/31, he could still play elsewhere if the Browns opt to release him.

There are provisions and guidelines that have to be met in order to be reinstated. Each suspended player has a treatment / rehabilitation plan and a drug testing schedule. Each player has to show that he has adhered to the requirements of his individual program and prove that to the commissioner. What that translates to is mostly wild speculation, but a case could be made against Gordon due to him having to go to rehab. In a year long ban, prior to applying for reinstatement, the players are supposed to stay clean and pass up to 10 drug tests per month. Going to rehab likely tipped Gordon's hand that he wasn't staying clean. I suspect that Gordon hasn't reapplied for reinstatement yet because he has had some discussion with the league about how long he has to be clean and compliant to the league's drug policies and reinstatement protocols.

As I have mentioned every 10 pages or so in this thread, Goodell historically has taken several months to review and ultimately decide on players applications for reinstatement. I really don't see that changing for Gordon. I would guess Goodell will take 2-3 months to review the case and make a determination (just like he's done with Gordon in the past). If Gordon applied for reinstatement TODAY, we might get an answer by the end of the regular season. Add in the fact that Gordon hasn't practiced, doesn't know the latest playbook, and is likely not in game shape (he might be physically fit, but that isn't the same as game shape), I think it is a long shot that Gordon plays this year.

What Anarchy99 said^^

...and he's still facing a 4 game suspension after he's reinstated. Just wanna drive that point home for anyone seriously considering a WW add 

16,156 replies

:lmao:
Part of what makes fantasy football fun. Everyone can make the obvious picks - it's the long shots that are interesting. 

Can you imagine if Gordon came back in 2017 and lit it up? 1% chance, but more fun than Antonio Brown having the season everyone expects. 

Part of what makes fantasy football fun. Everyone can make the obvious picks - it's the long shots that are interesting. 

Can you imagine if Gordon came back in 2017 and lit it up? 1% chance, but more fun than Antonio Brown having the season everyone expects. 
I can imagine that more than I can imagine him not lighting up and staying on the field. I mean he's lit up every other time he's returned, why not now?

I think there is a greater chance that President Trump apologies to the players that knelt for the anthem than there is of Gordon outproducing Antonio Brown. But maybe that's just me.

I think the 4 games suspension is key...for people like me who are holding Gordon instead of grabbing my backup kicker, this would be good info to have that would officially end my .1% chance he comes back this year hope.

Is 4 game suspension speculation or in-the-books-done-done?

What Anarchy99 said^^

...and he's still facing a 4 game suspension after he's reinstated. Just wanna drive that point home for anyone seriously considering a WW add 
not saying this isn't true, but I haven't seen it anywhere.  Wouldn't he have already served it with the indefinite suspension?

Except...

God luck with that. 
Yes. All true. 

Goodell is not going to expedite his reinstatement.  What incentive does he have to do that?  Last time he took over 60 days.  So 8 weeks.

And once he is reinstated, then another 4 week suspension?

Then 1-2 weeks of "acclimation", either with the Browns or another team?

So we are talking about 13-14 weeks?

Stick a fork in 2017.  Pick him up at the end of the season if you play in a keeper league.  But 2017 is not a realistic possibility.

I'm glad and feel a sense of relief that I don't have to continue to play the JG game.

True story but they also don't have $20 million potential and every resource in the world available to them.
I think you also mean every resource in the world falling all over themselves to get a piece of that $20 million dollar talent regardless if that means helping or enabling him. 

I'd bet every last pair of @Soulfly3's custom Josh Gordon kicks that there were far more enablers in the room.

Huh?  Suspension after he is reinstated?  What does that even mean?
Yeah, I'm not feeling that either. He's suspended indefinitely for missing the drug test - this rumor doesn't make sense. 

What does make sense is Goodell taking 2-3 months to decide what to do. 

Huh?  Suspension after he is reinstated?  What does that even mean?
Look it up, it's in most of today's articles. He violated the drug policy last time around. Reinstatement just means he's eligible to be part of the NFL again. It appears that once he's cleared to even be considered an NFL player he still has to serve time for his previous violation. 

Yeah, I'm not feeling that either. He's suspended indefinitely for missing the drug test - this rumor doesn't make sense. 

What does make sense is Goodell taking 2-3 months to decide what to do. 
Ok, so throw out the 4 game suspension.

Still looking at about 8 weeks for Goodell plus 1-2 weeks to get ramped up with a team.  So 9-10 weeks, we are in week 6.  Season over.

Users who are viewing this thread