What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

WR Josh Gordon, KC (11 Viewers)

I was lucky to get this guy with 82% of FAAB.

This pretty much locks in my 8-0 team to finish out undefeated.

This guy is younger than Antonio Brown and should produce on the same level.

:lol: The sarcastic hype in here.

ETA: Love the "JG is younger than ____!" shtick. Keep it coming.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I found out he was younger than Dante Stallworth, I immediately traded my buddy LeShon McCoy and Mike Evans for him. 

Questions:

Was anybody in front office leadership or on the Browns coaching staff three years ago?

Are the Browns a competent offense?

Do the Browns have a quartback who can get him the ball?

Are you going to start him right out of the gate in the final regular season FF Week?

Knowns:

Succeeded in 2013 primarily on physical dominance because of his rare combination of strength, speed, & agility.

Is not a good route runner.

When he last played (2014) he didn’t know the playbook.

Worth a flyer but personally I’m happy with the production I’m getting out of my current WR corps.

Questions:

Was anybody in front office leadership or on the Browns coaching staff three years ago?

Are the Browns a competent offense?

Do the Browns have a quartback who can get him the ball?

Are you going to start him right out of the gate in the final regular season FF Week?

Knowns:

Succeeded in 2013 primarily on physical dominance because of his rare combination of strength, speed, & agility.

Is not a good route runner.

When he last played (2014) he didn’t know the playbook.

Worth a flyer but personally I’m happy with the production I’m getting out of my current WR corps.
Coleman seemed to start off ok before he got hurt.

He’s a no brainer pickup for teams that are going to get a bye in the playoffs. Those teams will have two weeks to see where he stands before deciding if they should use him in the playoffs or not.

Completely forgot he played pre-season last year. It's just preseason but still alot better than no football at all these past three years. He's still available in my league and I've been on the fence since yesterday. **** it I'm going to pick him up in redraft.
Yep - it’s why I wasted a 6th round pick on him. :doh:  

it was also preseason. Never read into preseason that much. Especially for a guy who hasn’t seen an NFL DB in a year & a half.  

If you bother coming into this thread, and he's still available, you should own him. If you already own him and you're in this thread, you should hold him. I think I cut a guy like perine to pick him up (for the second time this year, and probably fifth time in three years). If there's an ounce of interest in his upside, I'm don't see what's to debate. Take the flyer. Hold. 

Man be stepping foot into the Browns meeting rooms very shortly.

The dark cloud of depression over Berea will soon be filled with sunshine.

Gordon + Coleman + Crow + Duke + Njoku + DeValve = Good offense.

Gordon + Coleman + Crow + Duke + Njoku + DeValve = QB actually has someone to utilize

Smells like Timelessness and continued success despite a rocky past? 
Some would debate the inclusion of the word 'continued'. Not much success with this guy. His life is one of one good year and failure after failure. Better description might be 'Smells like fifth chances and hopefully some maturity and intelligence'

they sound thrilled to have him back

“We’ve been informed of the league’s decision to reinstate Josh. The personal well-being of all our players is of the utmost importance to us,” Browns executive vice president of football operations Sashi Brown said.

“We respect and commend Josh for taking the steps necessary to have the opportunity to return to the league. Josh will be in our building in the coming days and we look forward to having him back and sitting with him to discuss his future on our team.” 

http://www.clevelandbrowns.com/news/article-5/Josh-Gordon-conditionally-reinstated-potential-impact-to-be-determined-in-coming-weeks/7710a296-f5b8-4278-a2e3-b6db1be9544c

Ok, I am give Josh Gordon one more chance....(record skips)....Ok, I am give Josh Gordon one more chance

Seriously rooting for him as it would be a sweet comeback story. Guy is an alien on the field with rare abilities. I am also curious how the Brown's handle this situation. The uniqueness of the situation seems to be above their paygrade and capabilities to solve. Would love to see him be able to escape to a better environment. Andy Reid seems  like the kind of guy that would be willing to take a shot on him. Until resolved I will be dreaming of Mahomes to Gordon. Of course step one is for him to get back on the field again without incident. 

Inspire us Josh!

Did we expect them to say, "awww #### this guy is back again? " ???

Why are people always kind of encouraged/surprised to see coaches, teams talk positively about the next man up, or a guy coming to their team, etc? 
I think that was sarcasm, Dr. Dan. They don't sound thrilled at all.  

Did we expect them to say, "awww #### this guy is back again? " ???

Why are people always kind of encouraged/surprised to see coaches, teams talk positively about the next man up, or a guy coming to their team, etc? 
I have him and still contemplating.  But think I want off this train.  5 weeks holding a roster spot.

I have him and still contemplating.  But think I want off this train.  5 weeks holding a roster spot.
That's the problem. And then do you feel confident starting him week 1 of the playoffs? I wouldn't. Week 2? I still don't know if I would. Then would you base your championship on it? No way. 

Dynasty this is an interesting situation... I dont envy the guy who has him rostered in my league. I think this is just an entertaining situation to watch. 

That's the problem. And then do you feel confident starting him week 1 of the playoffs? I wouldn't. Week 2? I still don't know if I would. Then would you base your championship on it? No way. 

Dynasty this is an interesting situation... I dont envy the guy who has him rostered in my league. I think this is just an entertaining situation to watch. 
I have the same set of concerns.  I believe in his talent.  I don’t like the situation.  I believe the Browns will move on from him.  The trade deadline passed they have no incentive to give him meaningful snaps.  Their guy is Coleman who they drafted in the first.  And he is servicible enough to develop along with Kizer.  I don’t think we are out of the woods.  Cleveland is where the same drug connections Josh has.  I only feel better about this if I knew the Browns assigned a personal counselor employed full time to guide him.

I would look at him less as a FF starter and more as a high-upside bench stash.

If you get to the FF playoffs, then by definition you have a pretty solid team.

But anything can happen injury-wise toward the end of the season and at that point your roster is pretty well set...can't trade and WW pickups are generally tapped out.

I'm stashing as many guys like Gordon, G. Olsen, D. Henry, A. Rodgers, etc. as my roster will allow.

I would look at him less as a FF starter and more as a high-upside bench stash.

If you get to the FF playoffs, then by definition you have a pretty solid team.

But anything can happen injury-wise toward the end of the season and at that point your roster is pretty well set...can't trade and WW pickups are generally tapped out.

I'm stashing as many guys like Gordon, G. Olsen, D. Henry, A. Rodgers, etc. as my roster will allow.
I get what you're saying and I know you're just listing "for instance" examples but Gordon is different from all of those guys in material ways.

I see Gordon as a distraction. It's hard enough to make weekly waiver decisions that could improve my team incrementally as it is without adding this guy to the mix. 

I have the same set of concerns.  I believe in his talent.  I don’t like the situation.  I believe the Browns will move on from him.  The trade deadline passed they have no incentive to give him meaningful snaps.  Their guy is Coleman who they drafted in the first.  And he is servicible enough to develop along with Kizer.  I don’t think we are out of the woods.  Cleveland is where the same drug connections Josh has.  I only feel better about this if I knew the Browns assigned a personal counselor employed full time to guide him.
If they truly want to move on from him and trade him I would think they'd want to showcase him and have him put up a couple of monster games. 

I get what you're saying and I know you're just listing "for instance" examples but Gordon is different from all of those guys in material ways.

I see Gordon as a distraction. It's hard enough to make weekly waiver decisions that could improve my team incrementally as it is without adding this guy to the mix. 
It's certainly a fair point but the distraction factor IMO simply translates into a risk assessment. The talent is unquestioned and oppty will likely be there given his competition at WR.

My approach will be to stash, then monitor the practice reports to see how well he's integrating into the locker room. If he's not getting reps or otherwise is a distraction, then jettison and move onto the next WW pre-emptive pickup.

But someone in every league will scoop him up soon (if not already) so it's just one of those decisions that has to be made with incomplete information...

If they truly want to move on from him and trade him I would think they'd want to showcase him and have him put up a couple of monster games. 
Gordon is on the last year of his rookie deal.  In 2018 he is a restricted free agent.  The Browns either

1.  Let him take offers from other teams and match to keep him.

2.  Let him take offers from other teams and apply a tender (basically saying we want you for another year).  I doubt they want to keep him for another year.  Teams that made Gordon an offer can offer draft picks in return based on the tender.

3.  Let him take offers from other teams and let him walk.

4.  Resign him to a multi year deal.

http://wncx.cbslocal.com/2017/11/02/nfl-reinstates-suspended-browns-wr-josh-gordon-on-conditional-basis/

"The NFL’s collective bargaining agreement stipulates that 6 games counts as an accrued season, but according to the timeline laid out by the commissioner, the maximum number of games Gordon can play this season would be 5 meaning his contract will toll an additional season for the Browns and he won’t be eligible to become a restricted free agent until 2019. He is scheduled to make $1.068 million in 2018."

http://wncx.cbslocal.com/2017/11/02/nfl-reinstates-suspended-browns-wr-josh-gordon-on-conditional-basis/

"The NFL’s collective bargaining agreement stipulates that 6 games counts as an accrued season, but according to the timeline laid out by the commissioner, the maximum number of games Gordon can play this season would be 5 meaning his contract will toll an additional season for the Browns and he won’t be eligible to become a restricted free agent until 2019. He is scheduled to make $1.068 million in 2018."
Thanks for this.  I stand corrected.

Users who are viewing this thread