What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

In my bedroom at 3 a.m. this morning... (1 Viewer)

Ray Karpis

Footballguy
I was sound asleep in my bedroom at 3 a.m. this morning when something roused me. Not aroused me. Roused me. It was very faint...not loud enough to even fully wake me up at first. I drifted in and out of sleep for several minutes, but I sensed a disturbance in the force. Finally, I came to enough to realize I was hearing a light rustling or fluttering sound in the room. I laid in bed for a minute to get my bearings and try to figure out what I was hearing.

I grabbed my glasses off the nightstand and stood up, but everything was quiet. I crept over to the pullchain on the ceiling fan to turn on the overhead light. Took a second or two for my eyes to adjust. I glanced around quickly, but nothing. Then suddenly, I heard the fluttering, look up and saw it.

A mother####### bat. :eek:

The light startled it and it started swooping back and forth across the room. I freaked out and darted around the side of my bed. Embarrassed to say my initial gut reaction was to pull the sheets over my head. :bag: A very vag#na-like response, but man bats are creepy.

I come out from under the covers, and the darn thing is still swooping around the room. I grab my pillow and just start swinging away. I think I yelled some iteration of "mother######" 30 times in the first minute of this incident.

Side note: my wife and kids are out of town right now. I shudder to think what would have happened if my wife had been in the bed with me when this rabid SOB started dive bombing the bed. We would probably have to move.

So I take several wild swings at the bat with my pillow, and somehow actually hit it. The whole scene was like something from a cartoon. I hit it and watched it sail in a direct line right into my closet, hit the back wall of hanging clothes, and just disappear. Our closet is a very small walk-in, with no door (just a curtain that is pulled to the side), and the light was of course off. From the very beginning to this point was less than a minute, so I am still freaked out - hair on my arms standing. Instead of following it into the closet and finishing it off, I do what every hairy-chested man's man would do...I bolt out of the room and close the door behind me. Again... :bag: :lmao: God, I wish a video camera had been running in that first minute.

I seriously doubted I killed the thing with a pillow, so I thought I needed something else to get rid of it. I run out to my garage to find something. It is actually stunning how crappy my options were. Tennis racket would be golden, but I don't own one. Butterfly net...no. After digging and trying to think through my plan, I ended up taking the following back to the bedroom with me:

- kid's crab net

- small broom

- trash can lid w/ handle

- lawn sized garbage bag

- Guitar Hero Les Paul guitar

- my daughter's pink softball batting helmet w/ faceguard :football:

As I stood there in the garage, I kept thinking about a bat's face and how freakish they look. Made the hair on my neck standup just thinking about it having to try to get the damn thing out of house.

I go back to the bedroom and crack the door just a little. I had trouble hearing because that batting helmet was so tight on my head. I considered taking it off, but I didn't want the bat swooping and buzzing my face. Think "

." RIP, John Candy.I thought I heard the wings fluttering and flying again, but I'm not positive. In any event, I crept in wielding the broom and the trash can lid. I didn't see it and rustled the curtains and lamp shades with the broom. No movement. I concluded it was either still in the closet or in the bathroom because those were the two darkest places in the room. I ruled out the bathroom by quickly flipping on the light and ducking for cover. I rustled the shower curtain and light fixtures with the broom.

Having it narrowed it down to the closet, it occurred to me it might be a good idea to get the video camera rolling. You never know when hilarity might ensue. So as I approach the closet, I've got video going thinking I might capture the final showdown. I'll post it as soon as I can upload and rotate it.

Anyway, I cautiously approach thinking it's going to dart out at anytime..I prod with the broom, shake the clothes, sweep up toward the ceiling....nothing. I slowly get more brave and inch into the closet - trash can lid on the ready - but still nothing. I finally make it into the closet far enough to pull the string on the light. I expected this to make the thing fly, so I dove for cover. Still nothing. At this point it's 4:15 a.m.

To cut to the chase, I never found the #### thing. Here are the remaining lowlights of the next hour:

- Not being able to find bat and not knowing what else to do, I call my dad. He lives about 5 minutes away, works at night, and I knew he would be just getting home at about 4:30 a.m. He seemed excited about the prospect of bat hunting, so he offered to come over and help look for it.

- It suddenly dawns on me that we'll be in my tiny walk-in closet, rustling through everything on the shelves looking for the corpse of this bat (or trying to flush it out). My wife has several "toys" :wub: which we keep stashed behind stacks of clothes on an upper shelf. The thought of my dad stumbling on his daughter-in-law's stash of vibrators and other novelties :X is suddenly more scary to me than the bat, so I guardedly go in and pull them off the shelf and throw them under the mattress.

- We find a half-inch gap around a vent pipe in the closet that leads to the attic. I suspect this is how he got in our room. I'll be calling a "bat" guy to get up in my attic and see what's going on up there.

- Dad and I basically unload the closet. He repeatedly comments on how much #### we have piled up on the shelves. :lmao: We never find the bat...never hear it, never see it.

- Finally get back to bed (in my sons' room with the door closed) at 5:30 a.m.

My optimistic conclusion is the bat made its way back into the attic while I was in the garage. I really hope that's the case. Based on what I've read, though, I might be updating this thread in a few days when he makes reappearance. Wife and kids are coming back home today. I'm struggling with whether to tell them or not. I am going to have to explain why our entire closet is spread across the bedroom.

Suggestions? Am I naive to think the bat left?

Last edited by a moderator:
I was sound asleep in my bedroom at 3 a.m. this morning when something roused me. Not aroused me. Roused me. It was very faint...not loud enough to even fully wake me up at first. I drifted in and out of sleep for several minutes, but I sensed a disturbance in the force. Finally, I came to enough to realize I was hearing a light rustling or fluttering sound in the room. I laid in bed for a minute to get my bearings and try to figure out what I was hearing. I grabbed my glasses off the nightstand and stood up, but everything was quiet. I crept over to the pullchain on the ceiling fan to turn on the overhead light. Took a second or two for my eyes to adjust. I glanced around quickly, but nothing. Then suddenly, I heard the fluttering, look up and saw it.A mother####### bat. :eek:
I would burn the house down.

I was sound asleep in my bedroom at 3 a.m. this morning when something roused me. Not aroused me. Roused me. It was very faint...not loud enough to even fully wake me up at first. I drifted in and out of sleep for several minutes, but I sensed a disturbance in the force. Finally, I came to enough to realize I was hearing a light rustling or fluttering sound in the room. I laid in bed for a minute to get my bearings and try to figure out what I was hearing. I grabbed my glasses off the nightstand and stood up, but everything was quiet. I crept over to the pullchain on the ceiling fan to turn on the overhead light. Took a second or two for my eyes to adjust. I glanced around quickly, but nothing. Then suddenly, I heard the fluttering, look up and saw it.A mother####### bat. :eek:
I would burn the house down.
That option is still on the table pending wife's reaction.

so much :lmao: here!

- Not being able to find bat and not knowing what else to do, I call my dad. He lives about 5 minutes away, works at night, and I knew he would be just getting home at about 4:30 a.m. He seemed excited about the prospect of bat hunting, so he offered to come over and help look for it.
double :lmao: @ the bold

When bats are flying around in your house, they look huge. When They are on the ground or hanging from a corner of your room, they are actually pretty small. I bet the bat either made it out, or he is laying in the pile of clothes you removed from the closet.

:popcorn:

First of all, fantastic story.

Second of all, go get your rabies shots.

Third of all, please post the video ASAP.

Anybody else see the episode of Infested where the guy's attic was occupied by a colony of bats that turned out to be a protected species, so they were prohibited from getting rid of them?

:goodposting: So awesome! We had a bat in our house about a year back, in the living room with large vaulted ceilings. I walk in from bedroom and get dive-bombed and run screaming back to the bedroom like a little girl. Same thoughts you had, "how the F am I going to kill that thing or capture it and get it out of our house?" Wife goes, just open the door, he'll use the sonar to find the door and fly out. Sure enough, found its way outside in a minute, but took many more minutes of ribbing from the wife for screaming like a little girl and running around freaking out!

Is there a gap between your bedroom door and the floor? Because I'm pretty sure he exited the room and is somewhere else in your house.

He could be anywhere!

leave lights off and windows open - have bat fly outside......

anyway to get into the attic to see how many bats are living up there?

At least your attic ought to be rodent free :unsure:

When bats are flying around in your house, they look huge. When They are on the ground or hanging from a corner of your room, they are actually pretty small. I bet the bat either made it out, or he is laying in the pile of clothes you removed from the closet.

:popcorn:
This.Now you and the Mrs are going to have to carrrefully go through each piece. Before you get to putting any of the "toys" back.

I had a similar experience a few years ago, although we were watching tv when the bat started flying around our living room. I had a couple bat captures under my belt, so I grabbed a hand held fishing net and my trusty Crossman Pumpmaster bb gun. When I came back, we couldn't find him anywhere. I even looked to the dogs for some guidance but they were looking around like they lost sight of it too. After shaking each kitchen chair, I look up and he's about 3 feet from my face, hanging on the chain from the kitchen light. I took a couple steps back, gave the Crossman about 4 pumps and proceeded with the kill shot. That Crossman now has about 10 bat kills.

We had bats roosting on the eaves on the sides of the house all the way through November, which is very rare (in NC anyway). We tried having pest guys out a few times until they finally suggested the bb gun because they had no idea how to get them to leave. They stopped getting in the house after we had the eaves sealed up really well though. You may be lucky and that's the only bat in the attic, but I hate to tell you that it's probably not.

I did a ton of bat research over the few months we had the issue and they really are amazing creatures, but when they enter the house it's fair game!

Of course you are--they're just like flying mice and it won't be hard for them to hide. :lol:
This.I remember the first bat I saw/caught/killed in our house (we've had nine in-total). Swooping around between three rooms...then gone. And of course the fearful optimist in you says "Oh, maybe he got scared, packed up his wife and kids, and decided to go live down by the river!" :) But it doesn't work that way. If a bat was flying around in your living space, odds are VERY good that it is a juvenile bat who simply got lost trying to get out to go look for food. That's the good news...that it's just lost/confused and that it wants even less to do with you than you want to do with it!

The BAD news is that if you've got a juvenile bat in your house, that means you must have a "mom" (or 2...or 3...or 50!) taking up residence in the structure. And if there's one juvenile bat in your home, and it is part of a maternal colony, you *will* be having more encounters. As all they need is a hole about the size of a dime/nickel to get through, and they'll be cruising around your "air space."

Trying to find them is impossibly hard too. About all you can do is go inch by inch, around every wall, floor, pipe, and ceiling...looking for holes/cracks they might use to get from the attic/basement/walls into your living space. Every time you find a hole, you seal it up. But if any bats are resting in your living space while/after you patch-up all those holes/cracks, you'll be seeing them again.

Like I said though, they want even less to do with you than you want to do with them. So if you can stun them and get them into some type of container, you can get them out of the home. Although my thinking is that if I get them out of the home, they'll just fly right back "home" to wherever they are living anyway. So what I usually do is walk them a mile or two away, disorient the #### out of them (think tilt-a-whirl at the amusement park, lol), then release them into the trees down along the river. A lot more food for them to eat down there...plus I think temporarily messing with their "compass" will keep them from finding their way back to my place.

Just make sure to wear gloves too. Don't want to get bitten by one of those suckers.

Like I said though, they want even less to do with you than you want to do with them. So if you can stun them and get them into some type of container, you can get them out of the home. Although my thinking is that if I get them out of the home, they'll just fly right back "home" to wherever they are living anyway. So what I usually do is walk them a mile or two away, disorient the #### out of them (think tilt-a-whirl at the amusement park, lol), then release them into the trees down along the river. A lot more food for them to eat down there...plus I think temporarily messing with their "compass" will keep them from finding their way back to my place.
If a bat enters my house, it must die. None of this "stunning it and releasing it into the blissful wilds of nature" ####.

Of course you are--they're just like flying mice and it won't be hard for them to hide. :lol:
This.I remember the first bat I saw/caught/killed in our house (we've had nine in-total). Swooping around between three rooms...then gone. And of course the fearful optimist in you says "Oh, maybe he got scared, packed up his wife and kids, and decided to go live down by the river!" :) But it doesn't work that way. If a bat was flying around in your living space, odds are VERY good that it is a juvenile bat who simply got lost trying to get out to go look for food. That's the good news...that it's just lost/confused and that it wants even less to do with you than you want to do with it!

The BAD news is that if you've got a juvenile bat in your house, that means you must have a "mom" (or 2...or 3...or 50!) taking up residence in the structure. And if there's one juvenile bat in your home, and it is part of a maternal colony, you *will* be having more encounters. As all they need is a hole about the size of a dime/nickel to get through, and they'll be cruising around your "air space."

Trying to find them is impossibly hard too. About all you can do is go inch by inch, around every wall, floor, pipe, and ceiling...looking for holes/cracks they might use to get from the attic/basement/walls into your living space. Every time you find a hole, you seal it up. But if any bats are resting in your living space while/after you patch-up all those holes/cracks, you'll be seeing them again.

Just make sure to wear gloves too. Don't want to get bitten by one of those suckers.
:lmao:

"the sonar is coming from inside the house..."

At first I was thinking you're better off not telling her...but when she sees her toys have moved to the mattress...it could cause for some concern.

If a bat enters my house, it must die. None of this "stunning it and releasing it into the blissful wilds of nature" ####.
:thumbdown: What if you were the bat? It's trying to survive in the world, same as the rest of us. It had no control over being born as a bat. Let it explore the world with what time it has.

I had a very similar experience last summer. Strangely, I was also home alone that night with my wife and kids out of town. I discussed it with the neighbors and learned a few things. The most important being that bats can carry rabies, their bite can be undetectable, and rabies is nearly 100% fatal in humans. The long story short here is that when one of my neighbors had a few bats buzzing around in his kids' room a few years ago and made the mistake of contacting a pest control service, he ended up incurring about $10k in uninsured expenses for the vaccinations.

Not what I wanted to hear.Bolded made my hair stand up again.

:thumbdown: What if you were the bat? It's trying to survive in the world, same as the rest of us. It had no control over being born as a bat. Let it explore the world with what time it has.
That, and if you live in the State of Minnesota, it is actually against the law to kill them! I found that out only after I killed the first one I encountered. So now I stun them, get them in a container (keep my "tools" just for this task in the basement after seeing nine in about seven years), then release them alive a mile or two away from any other residence...where they can hopefully eat their weight in mosquitoes every evening. Not much harder to live capture them than it is to kill them either. But like I said, just make sure you are very careful and are wearing gloves.

I worked at a motel in college and we used to get bats in the rooms of one of our buildings all the time. All you need is a sheet. Wait until the bat is flying around, grab the sheet as wide as you can by the corners and toss it up in front of the bat. Bat flies into the sheet. Roll up the sheet, take it outside, shake it out. Bat flies away, you go back inside and back to bed.

Problem solved.

It picked the wrong piece of the world to explore. By entering my house, the bat set in motion a chain of events that can only end when one of us is dead.

I had a very similar experience last summer. Strangely, I was also home alone that night with my wife and kids out of town. I discussed it with the neighbors and learned a few things. The most important being that bats can carry rabies, their bite can be undetectable, and rabies is nearly 100% fatal in humans. The long story short here is that when one of my neighbors had a few bats buzzing around in his kids' room a few years ago and made the mistake of contacting a pest control service, he ended up incurring about $10k in uninsured expenses for the vaccinations.
Wait, what?

I really need to work on my posting.skills.:kicksrocks:
Start drinking, maybe that will help.
Good idea. You know things. Got any more never fails FFA advice?
Don’t ever get your speedometer confused with your clock, because the faster you go the later you think you are.
Are you some kind of advanced being from another planet?This is all extremely good need to know info.

Wait, what?
Imagine saying this to your wife: "There's a very small chance the bat had rabies, and it's unlikely that it bit one of the kids, but if both turn out to be the case, there is a 99% likelihood of death. We need to decide what to do immediately."

- We find a half-inch gap around a vent pipe in the closet that leads to the attic. I suspect this is how he got in our room. I'll be calling a "bat" guy to get up in my attic and see what's going on up there.
So you going to stuff something in that gap? Bit of insulation, or some screening (and caulk it in)? If the bat is in the house, it's doubtful it will find its way back up there and exit through the gap. If it did slip back out, it's now telling the other bats about the secret wormhole into the kingdom.

The bat carcass landed in your wife's box of 'curiosities'.

you'll see it again when she reaches in the box and thinks you bought her a new blindfold.

enjoy! :bat-toosie:

Had one fly into our dorm in college. One guy smashed it with a racquetball racquet and it landed next to a guy's door. Sucker crawled right under the door. We looked for that think in a tiny dorm room for a few hours with no luck and assumed it snuck out.

My buddy woke up the next morning with the bat sleeping right next to him and bite marks on his arm.

When all was said and done, I believe 3 guys had to get rabies shots and 5 state health departments were involved.

So basically what I'm saying is that it's still there and will end up in your bed tonight.

Had one fly into our dorm in college. One guy smashed it with a racquetball racquet and it landed next to a guy's door. Sucker crawled right under the door. We looked for that think in a tiny dorm room for a few hours with no luck and assumed it snuck out.My buddy woke up the next morning with the bat sleeping right next to him and bite marks on his arm.When all was said and done, I believe 3 guys had to get rabies shots and 5 state health departments were involved.So basically what I'm saying is that it's still there and will end up in your bed tonight.
:goodposting: :snuggleup!:

Had one fly into our dorm in college. One guy smashed it with a racquetball racquet and it landed next to a guy's door. Sucker crawled right under the door. We looked for that think in a tiny dorm room for a few hours with no luck and assumed it snuck out.My buddy woke up the next morning with the bat sleeping right next to him and bite marks on his arm.
Waking up next to something hideous, with injuries you don't remember suffering. Ah, college.

I really need to work on my posting.skills.:kicksrocks:
Brush up a bit on punctuation while you are at it.
Thanks Hitler.
Sorry our education system failed you.....you, your baby mama and your kid. All products of a horrible system stacked up against you. We are working to make our future better, but unfortunately, there is nothing to be done for you...it is just too late in your case.

Users who are viewing this thread