What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Get Your Money out of the Market (1 Viewer)

To recap:

Hucks says to get out of the market it proceeds to go on a +20% upward tear.

Gunz claims to be "all in" on AAPL and it proceeds to go on a -34% death spiral.

- You literally cannot make this stuff up. :lmao:
If memory serves, Hucks did worse than missing out on the 20%. Didn't he supposedly put his money into inverse index ETF's which then proceeded to lose money?

To recap:

Gunz claims to be "all in" on AAPL and it proceeds to go on a -34% death spiral.

If memory serves, Hucks did worse than missing out on the 20%. Didn't he supposedly put his money into inverse index ETF's which then proceeded to lose money?
My favorite bit of his was when he said he 'knew some quant guys'. :lmao:

Over the next four months several factors (including but not limited to Europe and the political mudslinging) are going to result in significant stock market losses IMHO. It may not happen, but I think the likelihood is much stronger than an increase. The Dow is at 12,997 right now. :blackdot:
have you gone pro gold tout? Reads like one of those ads.
Inverse Index ETFs are the sharkmove here. 3X leverage if you believe as strongly as I do.
lol

To recap:

I bet I could

Over the next four months several factors (including but not limited to Europe and the political mudslinging) are going to result in significant stock market losses IMHO. It may not happen, but I think the likelihood is much stronger than an increase. The Dow is at 12,997 right now. :blackdot:
Inverse Index ETFs are the sharkmove here. 3X leverage if you believe as strongly as I do.
pretty strong investment here.

loaded up on some reverse index funds when the Dow was around 13k and watched it climb to over 16k in a little more than a year.

amazing.

Last edited by a moderator:
pretty strong investment here.loaded up on some reverse index funds when the Dow was around 13k and watched it climb to over 16k in a little more than a year.

amazing.
Can you triple short reverse index funds?

Good lord. Is *now* the time? :oldunsure:

I'm starting to feel somewhat greedy with how much money i've made this year in my various accounts.

when you start to feel like bragging about how much coin you've made... it feels like the 1st conversation of about 3 conversations where we're topping out

There will obviously be a fall at some point. Hopefully it's not too deep.

I think there is some rational fear of being in another tech bubble.

5-7% pull back early first quarter would not be a surprise and would present another buying opportunity.

Dow 18,000 in 2014.

Industrials

Materials

Energy

Tech

Diversified bio-tech/pharma companies

High quality developed Europian names

Should lead the way.

5-7% pull back early first quarter would not be a surprise and would present another buying opportunity.

Dow 18,000 in 2014.

Industrials

Materials

Energy

Tech

Should lead the way.
I personally like some of the things left behind this year. REITs, muni bonds, european stocks, etc. Just bought some O yesterday, in fact. Equities are really expensive right now when you look at book value, price/sales, etc.

To recap:

Fortunately I'm not an emotional guy, so I rode out the storm and am back to being in the black. :thumbup:

But your laughing at my temporary paper losses is appreciated!

There will obviously be a fall at some point. Hopefully it's not too deep.

I think there is some rational fear of being in another tech bubble.
Maybe, but if there's a bubble it's in non-public startups. The big boys seem to be fairly valued. :shrug:

Dow 18,000 in 2014.

Industrials

Materials

Energy

Tech

Should lead the way.
I personally like some of the things left behind this year. REITs, muni bonds, european stocks, etc. Just bought some O yesterday, in fact. Equities are really expensive right now when you look at book value, price/sales, etc.
Love "O" nice pick. I have been buying that this month.

Munis look like good value I agree.

High Yield, and Sr.Bank Loans is where I would be in fixed income.

This year we cut the fixed income portion of the portfolios around April and almost got out of the way to the may/june swoon. But for example if we had a client who was 30/70 stocks to bonds we reallocated them to has high as 60/40 stocks to bonds. We advised our fixed income only clients into 30% stocks.....they were happy. 50/50 clients were upped to 70/30. It worked out. But I always caution them it will be more volatile long term and we will shift back to their target allocation once interest rates normalize which will not come for another 2 years at least.

This is only the 3rd time in the history of the bond market it will have a negative year.

Steer clear of government back debt and TIPS. At some point it will be a value as the rates continue to rise.

I am a value investor at my core.......but I would be very cautious with REITS, especially mortgage backed REITS in a rising interst rate enviroment. Don't get value trapped. Stocks are getting close to fair value (some are far over valued) but remember the market goes overboard on both the upside and downside.

One of the things that this massive rally had this year led by junk. Netflix, Tesla, these "momentum" stocks wre outragous in their rise and helping the indexes. Quality lower multiple will be more of the theme in 2014....but rising dividend stocks is what I focus on the most.

MLP's are also really attractive. Check out AMLP. A really nice ETF that yields 6% gets into the top 25 MLP's without the K-1 hassles and a lto less volatility that space can have.

Railroads were awesome this year and this small one CSX is my little darling going forward. I Loved NSC when it was 58 bucks and change after Obama was re-elected and we are still in it.

Trailing 15% stops are all in for my positions. I never lower them....only raise them as the market climbs higher. Some core positions we will just write covered calls.

But overall.....the Market is at the sawn of a new Bull Market. Simply put back in 2007 the market hit what 14300? Today we are at 16500. So up 15% from the all time high set in 2007.....adjusted for a modest inflation rate of 1.5% we are what some 6% higher net inflation?

What bull market. That is a recovery from the depths of hell. Strap in. The new bull market is upon us. Dow 20K within 3 years.

Some stocks I like for next year:

UN

BAX

GILD (yes it can double again)

CSX

PPL

IBM

Just a few there. I really want a healthy 5-7% correction to jump into some more names and add to these names as well. It will happen.....when not if. But the market will still go higher next year barring any unforseen geo-political event. The economy is getting better. And you can't fight the fed.

HRS

KO

PM

DPM

To recap:

Fortunately I'm not an emotional guy, so I rode out the storm and am back to being in the black. :thumbup:

But your laughing at my temporary paper losses is appreciated!
We pick because we love.

railroads were awesome this year and this small one CSX is my little darling going forward. I Loved NSC when it was 58 bucks and change after Obama was re-elected and we are still in it.
Do you have any thoughts on GBX? I sold because it had such a crazy (for a rail car co.) -and I believed unsustainable -run this Fall. But it has held and even gained a little. I wanted to play the upside of rails from transporting all of these new oil and gas finds.

I have stuck with APPL big time. I was pounding the table at 500...rode it down to 400....and will ride her to 700 plus next year. ( I have owned this since the low 200's.....but added more at 505....457 and 402. No regrets at all.

They are a cheap stock......incredible. Of course the speculation of owning this is new innovative products....and I think they will deliever big time with some new must have items. Plus.....they still print money hand over fist. Can't be denied. A stock that I love. A growth story with rising dividends.

railroads were awesome this year and this small one CSX is my little darling going forward. I Loved NSC when it was 58 bucks and change after Obama was re-elected and we are still in it.
Do you have any thoughts on GBX? I sold because it had such a crazy (for a rail car co.) -and I believed unsustainable -run this Fall. But it has held and even gained a little. I wanted to play the upside of rails from transporting all of these new oil and gas finds.
Outstanding trade.....stay out. Far to rich and overvalued. I just looked at a quick and dirty financial statement and valuation. That stock will get clobbered in a correction. 2 plus Beta.

CSX is a way to get back into the rails with a growing dividend and earnings growth and a low PE relative to it's peers.

Nothing wrong with having some powder dry here and seeing how the first quarter starts. I expect some early 2014 volatility and a nice buying opportunity.

can we stay on topic and stick to making fun of LHUCKS in here?

plenty of other stock advice threads out there with good info in them. this thread is for horrifically horrible advice.

Railroads were awesome this year and this small one CSX is my little darling going forward. I Loved NSC when it was 58 bucks and change after Obama was re-elected and we are still in it.
Interesting analysis but CSX is the third biggest railroad in North America.

One to watch might be Genesee and Wyoming (GWR) who bought up a great operation in Rail America, who has been buying up many of the more profitable short lines for years. They were up 15% in 2013 but they look to be a bigger market player going forward.

One to watch might be Genesee and Wyoming (GWR) who bought up a great operation in Rail America, who has been buying up many of the more profitable short lines for years. They were up 15% in 2013 but they look to be a bigger market player going forward.
Your correct. Smallest of the big three LOL.

Haha, gotcha. Any thoughts on GWR?

Interesting analysis but CSX is the third biggest railroad in North America. One to watch might be Genesee and Wyoming (GWR) who bought up a great operation in Rail America, who has been buying up many of the more profitable short lines for years. They were up 15% in 2013 but they look to be a bigger market player going forward.
Haha, gotcha. Any thoughts on GWR?
Will take a look on Thursday.

Vindication for LHucks!
It's not a coincidence that just following LHUCKS post, the Fed started QE3, producing the rise in stocks (and making LHUCKS wrong), and now that tapering of QE3 is underway, the market doesn't know what to do.

Without the Fed's spigot flowing on full force, the world doesn't have the liquidity it needs.

Vindication for LHucks!
It's not a coincidence that just following LHUCKS post, the Fed started QE3, producing the rise in stocks (and making LHUCKS wrong), and now that tapering of QE3 is underway, the market doesn't know what to do.

Without the Fed's spigot flowing on full force, the world doesn't have the liquidity it needs.
So the Fed started QE3 because of Lhucks post?

Vindication for LHucks!

So the Fed started QE3 because of Lhucks post?
Yes. The Fed is a member at FBG who hates LHUCKS.

Users who are viewing this thread