What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Tannehill's upside (1 Viewer)

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Ryan Tannehill (shoulder) is at least two weeks from returning.

Tannehill is dealing with a capsule injury in his shoulder. He resumed throwing with trainers this week but didn't practice. Brock Osweiler will start Sunday and looks likely to remain the starter through Week 10. The Dolphins don't have a timetable for Tannehill but expect him back this season.

Source: NFL Network 

Nov 2 - 7:30 PM

Ryan Tannehill - QB -  Dolphins

Speaking about Ryan Tannehill's (shoulder) health on Monday, coach Adam Gase classified the situation as "weird."

Tannehill has apparently been "inconsistent throwing with trainers." He is having "good days and bad days," as is the cliché. Tannehill sounds far from certain to return after the Dolphins' Week 11 bye. He probably should have been placed on injured reserve when first hurt.

Source: Cameron Wolfe on Twitter 

Nov 5 - 2:15 PM

Tannehill had a press conference yesterday  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6H5jPpXwkoo  

In addition to his capsule issue, it's reported that he has a labral tear (the pain he mentions is one of the clues).  

My bet is that Tannehill won't see the field until week 12 at Indy, after the bye.  
I'm not sure we'll see him again this year and 50/50 whether he starts a game for Miami again.  

My personal feelings on Tannehill for Miami is he's not the issue and not the answer.  When his OL has been good he's done well, sadly his OL hasn't been good on a consistent basis. 

My personal feelings on Tannehill for Miami is he's not the issue and not the answer.  When his OL has been good he's done well, sadly his OL hasn't been good on a consistent basis. 
Pretty much.  He's not bad.  He's not great. He's basically a slightly better Andy Dalton.

Ryan Tannehill ramped up his throwing program during the bye week.

Coach Adam Gase said Tannehill made five- to fifty-yard stationary target throws during the bye week and looked normal doing it. Still, Gase would not commit to Tannehill playing or even practicing this week. Facing off against the Colts in a game which shockingly has playoff ramifications, the Dolphins would get a big boost if Tannehill is ready to go.

Source: Joe Schad on Twitter 

Nov 19 - 11:47 AM

Ryan Tannehill - QB -  Dolphins

Ryan Tannehill (shoulder) will return as Dolphins starter for Week 12 against the Colts.

It will be Tannehill's first start since Week 5. The Dolphins have lost Albert Wilson and Jakeem Grant in the interim but regained DeVante Parker. Brock Osweiler's play has predictably fallen off a cliff after some initial competence, so Tannehill's return will be quite welcome as the Dolphins try to stay alive in the AFC playoff race. Managing games before going down, Tannehill will be a fringe QB2 with his banged up supporting cast.

Source: Adam Beasley on Twitter 

Nov 20 - 3:11 PM

Ryan Tannehill admits he is still experiencing pain in his shoulder but believes he can make "all the throws."

"I feel really good," Tannehill claimed. "Not quite 100 percent, but I feel confident and have made all the throws I’m going to need to make over the course of a game." It doesn't sound like Tannehill is particularly close to 100 percent after experiencing a setback a few weeks ago, but the Dolphins are desperate to move on from Brock Osweiler and keep their faint playoff hopes alive. Tannehill will be a barely-there QB2 against the Colts. 

RotoGrinders.com Daily Slant: It's safe to say Tannehill will be low-owned in DFS this week, and for good reason: He's coming off injury without two of his receivers. For his price, though, he does have some tournament appeal as he'll likely be playing from behind as nine point underdogs in Indy. If he can rush for a score and throw for one or two TD's, he could be a GPP winner at miniscule ownership stacked with a couple of his also very cheap WR's.

Source: Profootballtalk on NBCSports.com 

Nov 20 - 4:43 PM

According to the Miami Herald, the Dolphins are prepared to move on from Ryan Tannehill after this season rather than pay him the $19 million he's owed over the next two years.

None of Tannehill's 2019-2020 scheduled pay is guaranteed, so it will be an easy cord to cut. By releasing or trading Tannehill, the Fins would save $13.2 million under the 2019 salary cap, or $18.7 million if he's designated a post-June 1 cut. Amid reports the front office will also be cleaned out, the Dolphins' organization appears headed for a near-full overhaul this offseason.

Source: Miami Herald 

Dec 26 - 8:41 PM

They need to.  He's not special.  He isn't lifting them to wins.  

He could maybe be the QB on a more loaded team.  The Dolphins aren't the team that the QB can just make a few plays.

He may not be special but, then again, most quarterbacks aren't. He could be a decent reclamation project in, say, Washington at the right price. I'm not a believer in Gase so I'm holding out a bit of hope for him in terms of talent and upside. 

The main issue with Tannehill as a QB is his lack of feel in the pocket. The ability to feel and sense pressure is paramount for a chance at success in the NFL and he simply has never progressed that part of his game to take him to the next level (and his footwork also is sub par). And that probably comes from his lack of experience. We are talking about a guy who did not play QB until what....his 3rd year of college? That is a tough thing to develop. Also he is not very good at going through his progressions...too often he locks onto one target. He also does not use his safety valves nearly enough....again..lack of feel.

He is not bad. But he is a big disappointment considering where we drafted him. At least us Dolphin fans can say he was probably the best QB we have had since Marino. That’s about it. Fielder had a decent run too.

Also the fact he has been through so many coaching staff’s, and OC’s does not help matters either.

Last edited by a moderator:
The mediocre QB market is going to be flooded this offseason.  Tannehill, Flacco, and Dalton....at least.  Is any a starter in 12 months?

The mediocre QB market is going to be flooded this offseason.  Tannehill, Flacco, and Dalton....at least.  Is any a starter in 12 months?
Where are the obvious openings? Miami, Jacksonville, Denver, and Washington. I see both Giants and Titans bringing in someone to compete with current starters. Dalton is fine but they should look at a rookie to groom after him.

The Miami Herald reports the Dolphins are expected to release Ryan Tannehill.

The Dolphins' power structure, including owner Stephen Ross, have "agreed they are moving on from Tannehill." Miami's plan to pull the plug on Tannehill has been out there for awhile, but the Dolphins are starting to realize they won't be able to trade him with his contract. It's possible Tannehill restructures his deal to facilitate a trade, but the most likely scenario is a clean break for both sides. In a weak quarterback market, it won't be surprising if Tannehill gets a chance to compete for a starting role somewhere in 2019.

Source: Miami Herald 

Feb 1 - 4:47 PM

According to PFT's Mike Florio, a source told him there's "no way" the Saints attempt to acquire Ryan Tannehill should Teddy Bridgewater sign with the Dolphins.

There's rumors swirling around that if Bridgewater opts to take the Dolphins' offer, then the Saints will attempt to bring in Tannehill to replace Bridgewater as Drew Brees' backup. Ex-Dolphins GM Jeff Ireland, who drafted Tannehill, is in the Saints' front office. We'd expect coach Sean Payton to aim much higher as Brees' potential successor rather than sign no-upside Tannehill. Word all last season was how much Payton loves Taysom Hill as well.

RELATED: 

New Orleans Saints

SOURCE: Profootballtalk on NBC Sports

Mar 13, 2019, 5:43 PM

GMs do dumb things all the time. No reason not to see if you can find one dumb enough to give up something for him before you cut him. 
Ryan Tannehill's cap number for next season is $26,611,666. I would not have believed that myself if I didn't read it on two independent sources.

Anyone who agrees to give up anything of value whatsoever for the ability to pay Ryan Tannehill the league's 6th-highest cap figure next season leaves "dumb" so far behind you couldn't see it with a telescope.

Ryan Tannehill's cap number for next season is $26,611,666. I would not have believed that myself if I didn't read it on two independent sources.

Anyone who agrees to give up anything of value whatsoever for the ability to pay Ryan Tannehill the league's 6th-highest cap figure next season leaves "dumb" so far behind you couldn't see it with a telescope.
An Adam Gase special. 

Titans acquired QB Ryan Tannehill and a 2019 sixth-round pick from the Dolphins in exchange for a fourth-round pick in 2020 and a seventh-round pick in 2019.

The Titans are reportedly giving Tannehill a one-year, $7 million contract. Even after striking out with Teddy Bridgewater, who spurned his hometown team to return to New Orleans as Drew Brees' backup, it was clear Miami had no intention of moving forward with Tannehill at QB. Tannehill showed flashes throughout his seven-year run in South Beach but proved injury-prone while ultimately failing to live up to his first-round billing. In Tennessee, he'll slide in as the backup to fellow underachiever Marcus Mariota. Tannehill's departure leaves Jake Rudock and Luke Falk as Miami's lone quarterbacks. The Dolphins are a lock to take a signal-caller—perhaps Kyler Murray or Dwayne Haskins—early in next month's draft. Free agent Ryan Fitzpatrick could also be a bridge option for the rebuilding Fins.

RELATED: 

Miami Dolphins

SOURCE: SportsTrust Advisors on Twitter

Mar 15, 2019, 12:45 PM

Tennessee gets a backup QB for $18M and MIA takes a $14M cap hit to have Jake Ruddock be their #1 on depth chart.  Makes sense.

Tennessee gets a backup QB for $18M and MIA takes a $14M cap hit to have Jake Ruddock be their #1 on depth chart.  Makes sense.
I originally thought his entire '19 cap hit would apply if he was cut / traded but it looks now like that's not the case. Spotrac calls it an $18.75M cap hit while OTC says $13.4M  in '19 and it's not clear (to me at least) that TEN is on the hook for any of that.

If so and the Titans are only out the equivalent of a 5th-rounder and $7M (which is roughly the average salary for a serviceable backup QB anyway) then I don't hate the move for them. And there was no way the Fins were paying this dude $27M next year so what else were they gonna do?

I originally thought his entire '19 cap hit would apply if he was cut / traded but it looks now like that's not the case. Spotrac calls it an $18.75M cap hit while OTC says $13.4M  in '19 and it's not clear (to me at least) that TEN is on the hook for any of that.

If so and the Titans are only out the equivalent of a 5th-rounder and $7M (which is roughly the average salary for a serviceable backup QB anyway) then I don't hate the move for them. And there was no way the Fins were paying this dude $27M next year so what else were they gonna do?
Plus they don't care about the cap hit since they are clearly in tank mode.

Miami is tanking, they pony up for Murray or Haskins or wait a year. 

Well Tannehill while a bust, has a smoking hot wife and he will be a clip board holder in the NFL for 5 more years probably

Nah, it's just the un-allocated signing bonus pro-rate on trades.  Any future money (salary, roster bonus) goes to the new team.  Looks like OTC is caught up now, they show $13.4M too.

Cutting a player causes the pro-rate to accelerate but adds on any remaining guaranteed money.  So that's why a guy like Borles dead money includes an extra $6.5M.

Miami is tanking, they pony up for Murray or Haskins or wait a year. 

Well Tannehill while a bust, has a smoking hot wife and he will be a clip board holder in the NFL for 5 more years probably
Has Mariotta played much better than Tannehill? 
They've got remarkably similar career stats:

Completion Percentage:
Mariota: 63.2%
Tannehill: 62.8%

TD-INT ratio:
Mariota: 1.64-1
Tannehill: 1.64-1

TD %:
Mariota: 4.3%
Tannehill: 4.3%

INT %:
Mariota: 2.6%
Tannehill: 2.6%

YPA:
Mariota: 7.5
Tannehill: 7.0

Passer Rating:
Mariota: 89.4
Tannehill: 87.0

W-L %:
Mariota: .491
Tannehill: .477

Of course, that doesn't account for rushing numbers (where Mariota has a clear edge). Also, Mariota has had a QBR above 53 every season, whereas Tannehill has only been above 53 once in 6 years.

Nonetheless, I do believe that the Titans didn't just acquire Tannehill to be a journeyman clipboard holder. This is Mariota's make-or-break season -- if he fails to progress, or if he misses a significant number of games (and Tannehill plays well in his absence), then do not be surprised if the Titans move on from Mariota and just keep Tannehill while they retool.

Nonetheless, I do believe that the Titans didn't just acquire Tannehill to be a journeyman clipboard holder. This is Mariota's make-or-break season -- if he fails to progress, or if he misses a significant number of games (and Tannehill plays well in his absence), then do not be surprised if the Titans move on from Mariota and just keep Tannehill while they retool.
Mariota hasn't played a full season, right? Tannehill should get an opportunity to show whatever his stuff is as a result. He'll sling it more than Mariota did last year - for good or ill - because he's that kind of QB. Mariota just doesn't look comfortable in that offense, imo, and that creates an opening for a player Tannehill that is looking to stay relevant. TN has talent in the passing game to pair with right QB. Mariota could step up as a passer but he hasn't in 2 years it seems. Tannehill may just be a victim of Gase more than anything.

Mariota hasn't played a full season, right? Tannehill should get an opportunity to show whatever his stuff is as a result. He'll sling it more than Mariota did last year - for good or ill - because he's that kind of QB. Mariota just doesn't look comfortable in that offense, imo, and that creates an opening for a player Tannehill that is looking to stay relevant. TN has talent in the passing game to pair with right QB. Mariota could step up as a passer but he hasn't in 2 years it seems. Tannehill may just be a victim of Gase more than anything.
Mariota played 12 games his rookie year, and then played 15/15/14. He's played in 92% of his team's games in the past 3 seasons.

Mariota played 12 games his rookie year, and then played 15/15/14. He's played in 90% of his team's games in the past 3 seasons.
surprising considering he finished 27th in attempts despite playing 3 more games than Tannehill (despite the comparable YPG). they're different offenses for sure but Tannehill's numbers suggest, to me, that he's a better passer. That's not the same as a better QB but still....

Users who are viewing this thread