What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** TJ Yeldon (2015 Draft Eligible) Bandwagon *** (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

Alabama RB T.J. Yeldon mentioned that he has met with the Seahawks, Eagles, Steelers and Jaguars, according to Alabama beat writer Marquavius Burnett.
The 6-foot-2, 221-pound Yeldon was a tad banged up this season, as he dealt with hamstring issues and ankle injuries throughout the year. During his combine interview, the Crimson Tide prospect noted that "he's 100 percent healthy" now.

Source: Marquavius Burnett on Twitter
Feb 19 - 4:03 PM

Faust said:
Gordon's game isn't as well rounded as Yeldon, but his running is better by enough to make up for it. Plus, he's a willing blocker with poor technique. Effort is half the battle. He should be able to get coached up. I'm not sure how good he will ever be in the passing game. Yeldon runs too high and doesn't create enough power for his size. That said, Gordon isn't a great power runner. I'd say he's just effective enough thanks to his size.

Get thicker skin, nobody but you cares. All this does is cause others to bump your misses, which most of us don't care about either.

Good for you. Are you calling yourself out in the Funchess thread?
Did you have a strong opinion on Funchess? You're free to call me out if we've ever had a strong disagreement on a player. It makes me better at this. Stroking each others egos doesn't.

Good for you. Are you calling yourself out in the Funchess thread?
Did you have a strong opinion on Funchess? You're free to call me out if we've ever had a strong disagreement on a player. It makes me better at this. Stroking each others egos doesn't.
I pretty much agreed with you on Funchess. I'm just wondering if you hold yourself to the same standard as you hold everyone else. I agree that being held accountable for strong opinions makes us all better, if done correctly. But if you aren't holding yourself accountable as well it seems hypocritical.

I still like Yeldon as a guy who will likely slip in both the NFL and rookie drafts, for a solid player who could turn into Le'Veon Bell by losing some weight and working on his craft. I'm a sucker for believing kids can get better and most of them are around 22 so plenty of time to grow, I'm optimistic about Yeldon. He's shown the instincts of a natural football player which is usually my #1 concern for any player, and I think he can learn the game in a little bit. I am disappointed in his overall performance at the combine, but I wasn't expecting no 4.4 either.

Rotoworld:

NFL Media senior analyst Gil Brandt observed that Alabama RB T.J. Yeldon "didn't jump out at you or look special in the [combine] drills."
"He didn't appear to have very good change-of-direction ability while running," Brandt wrote. "And I know Alabama backs of late have missed (Mark Ingram, Trent Richardson) in their first few pro seasons more than they've hit (Eddie Lacy). But I still like Yeldon, who racked up 3,322 yards and averaged 5.8 yards per carry in three years at Alabama, to be a pretty good NFL player. I especially like that he had a history of making big plays when the Crimson Tide really needed it; he was a lock to convert on third down. He catches the ball well enough (46 receptions for 494 yards and two scores) that he can be in on all three downs, no matter what the situation is." That we know of, the 6-foot-2, 221-pound Yeldon has met with the Seahawks, Eagles, Steelers and Jaguars. Yeldon battled hamstring and ankle injuries throughout the season, but says that he is now completely healthy.

Source: NFL.com
Mar 1 - 2:18 PM

Rotoworld:

T.J. Yeldon - RB - Crimson Tide

An NFL scout told the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel that Alabama RB T.J. Yeldon "probably has the best feet of any back in the draft."

"He'll go right around 30, 35," said the scout. "He and [Melvin] Gordon will fight for first back [taken]." The 6-foot-2, 221-pound Yeldon ran a highly mediocre 4.61 forty at the combine. "He's different than [Eddie] Lacy," one scout said. "Lacy's more power. This guy can run with power, but he also has some moves. I'd take Lacy over him. Only question I have on Yeldon, is he beat to hell and back? All those guys down there (Alabama) get beat up." In college, Yeldon had 576 carries for 3,322 yards (5.8) and 37 scores, adding 46 catches.

Source: Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

Mar 1 - 10:33 PM

Rotoworld:

After watching their college tape, NFL Films' Greg Cosell came away believing Alabama's T.J. Yeldon "may" be a better fit as a "true foundation back" in the NFL than Wisconsin's Melvin Gordon.

Gordon is a bit of a boom-or-bust runner, while Yeldon is a consistent chain mover with NFL-ready three-down tools. "The guy I really like (is) T.J. Yeldon out of Alabama," said Cosell. "I think his running style and his mentality is well suited to the NFL. He has a very intuitive feel to attack downhill with conviction, and he has great ability to work effectively between the tackles. He's very compact in his movement and he gets through small cracks. That is so critical in the NFL for backs, to be able to get through small cracks at the point of attack." A projected day-two pick, Yeldon has the skill set to play early in the NFL.

Source: Midday 180 Nashville
Mar 4 - 9:35 PM

Rotoworld:

After watching their college tape, NFL Films' Greg Cosell came away believing Alabama's T.J. Yeldon "may" be a better fit as a "true foundation back" in the NFL than Wisconsin's Melvin Gordon.

Gordon is a bit of a boom-or-bust runner, while Yeldon is a consistent chain mover with NFL-ready three-down tools. "The guy I really like (is) T.J. Yeldon out of Alabama," said Cosell. "I think his running style and his mentality is well suited to the NFL. He has a very intuitive feel to attack downhill with conviction, and he has great ability to work effectively between the tackles. He's very compact in his movement and he gets through small cracks. That is so critical in the NFL for backs, to be able to get through small cracks at the point of attack." A projected day-two pick, Yeldon has the skill set to play early in the NFL.

Countdown to Xue calling Cosell a hack.

Rotoworld:

There is a "bit of buzz" Alabama's T.J. Yeldon could be the second RB selected in the 2015 draft, according to Josh Norris.
Melvin Gordon is often linked in the same tier as Todd Gurley, but we have consistently said the latter is in a class of his own. Gordon will likely be viewed in the same group as Yeldon, Jay Ajayi, Ameer Abdullah and others. Yeldon is a one gear runner but consistently falls forward, is smooth and flashes explosion when the goal line is in sight.

Source: Josh Norris on Twitter
Mar 18 - 10:03 AM

Yeah, surprised he isn't getting much hype. If I can't land Gurley in my upcoming Rookie draft, he will be a nice consolation prize.

i could see yeldon's stock rising quite a bit after the nfl draft. predraft mock ranking of 1.11 - i'm a huge buyer. in the right place he could easily be an option at 1.06 or sooner for teams looking for rb help now.

Rotoworld:

Cosell compared DeVante Parker to Michael Crabtree. It's not even funny, just sad.

Try again.

Rotoworld:

Cosell compared DeVante Parker to Michael Crabtree. It's not even funny, just sad.

Try again.
That took longer than expected.

Anonymous schlub Xue knows more than one of the most well respected analysts in the entire country. :rolleyes:

Rotoworld:

Try again.
That took longer than expected.

Anonymous schlub Xue knows more than one of the most well respected analysts in the entire country. :rolleyes:
If you're going to take shots at me, use your own bullets.

About a week or so ago I moved Yeldon up from the top of my tier 2 prospects to the bottom of tier 1b. I have him ranked as the 16th overall rookie player for fantasy football in 2015 and ranked as the 7th overall RB.

One of the things I do not like about him is that his performance declined in 2014 compared to the two seasons prior. The 2 seasons prior he was averaging over 6 yards per carry. This fell to 5 ypc in 2014.

Sophmore Derirck Henry performed better than Yeldon in the same offense, 5.8ypc on 172 carries. Henry had 177 plays to Yeldons 209 Henry performed better on his 5 receptions than Yeldon did with his 15.

Alabama has an excellent offensive line that has made Richardson and Ingram look like world beaters. But the level of play you saw from them in college did not translate as well as expected to the NFL.

In 2014 Alabamas offensive line was the 6th best in adjusted line yards according to Football Outsiders.

Yeldon's combine performance wasn't all bad, but it is not impressive either.

I still think he has enough tools to be a good RB for fantasy if given the opportunity. But I do not see the upside with him like I do with Gordon, Gurley, Ayaji, Coleman, Duke Johnson, Ameer Abdullah.

I did decide he is better than Cameron Artis-Payne which is part of why I moved him up to the 1b tier of my rankings.

About a week or so ago I moved Yeldon up from the top of my tier 2 prospects to the bottom of tier 1b. I have him ranked as the 16th overall rookie player for fantasy football in 2015 and ranked as the 7th overall RB.

One of the things I do not like about him is that his performance declined in 2014 compared to the two seasons prior. The 2 seasons prior he was averaging over 6 yards per carry. This fell to 5 ypc in 2014.

Sophmore Derirck Henry performed better than Yeldon in the same offense, 5.8ypc on 172 carries. Henry had 177 plays to Yeldons 209 Henry performed better on his 5 receptions than Yeldon did with his 15.

Alabama has an excellent offensive line that has made Richardson and Ingram look like world beaters. But the level of play you saw from them in college did not translate as well as expected to the NFL.

In 2014 Alabamas offensive line was the 6th best in adjusted line yards according to Football Outsiders.

Yeldon's combine performance wasn't all bad, but it is not impressive either.

I still think he has enough tools to be a good RB for fantasy if given the opportunity. But I do not see the upside with him like I do with Gordon, Gurley, Ayaji, Coleman, Duke Johnson, Ameer Abdullah.

I did decide he is better than Cameron Artis-Payne which is part of why I moved him up to the 1b tier of my rankings.
He missed 1 game and played hurt in others, so I'm not overly concerned with the "decline in performance".

I agree. Looking at the game film he still looks pretty good to me, regardless of what the stat-line may say. The top rated RB? No, but I could easily fit him in at #4, behind Ajayi and feel pretty good about it.

Rotoworld:

Alabama RB T.J. Yeldon visited the Jaguars at the club's facility Wednesday.
"Yeldon could be exactly what the Jaguars need, and available at the right time in the draft to get him," noted NFL Media. Jacksonville desperately needs a running back and isn't going to take one in Round 1 barring a blockbuster move down the board. They are in a nice position to pick the best remaining runner with the No. 36 pick, however. NFL Media analyst Charles Davis reported recently that he is "hearing more and more buzz" about Yeldon.

Source: NFL.com
Apr 8 - 8:04 PM

Rotoworld:

NFLDraftScout.com's Frank Cooney writes that Alabama RB T.J. Yeldon "puts together a ridiculous combination of stops, starts, jump-cuts and bursts that leave defenders grasping at air."
"His size is impressive, rounded off at 6-foot-1, 226, although he should not be mistaken as a tough, inside runner just because he is big (think Michael Bush)," Cooney wrote. "He also doesn't have a quick shift to a higher gear, which may mean that his whole dance routine is out of necessity." When asked to identify his best traits, Yeldon answered: "I have good vision, good cutting ability. I can catch the ball out of the backfield. I can split out wide and catch the ball. It just depends on how somebody wants to use me in their offense." Concluded Cooney: "Yeldon is neither fast nor powerful as a runner, but is so nifty he probably would star in touch tackle. He is a good receiver, for those teams looking for a medium fast, medium tough, big elusive running back that can catch."

Source: CBS Sports
Apr 14 - 9:27 AM

Rotoworld:

NFL Films' Greg Cosell compared Alabama RB T.J. Yeldon to Frank Gore on Wednesday.

"Yeldon picks and slides through traffic with vision, quick feet," Cosell, who's long been high on Yeldon, said. "Critical skills in NFL. Like Frank Gore." The downside of Yeldon is that he "bounces outside too often, expecting to outrun people," according to Cosell. Yeldon figures to be a day-two pick and one who can slide in and contribute immediately. He's also drawn Le'Veon Bell comps.

Source: Paul Kuharsky on Twitter

Rotoworld:

ESPN's K.C. Joyner writes that Alabama RB T.J. Yeldon "is known for his top-end speed and breakaway ability, but his goal-line conversion ability is a skill that sets him apart."

Yeldon cashed in seven touchdowns on nine rushes from at or inside the 2-yard line in 2014. "This showing was not an anomaly, as he had seven touchdowns in eight rush attempts in that scenario in 2013," Joyner wrote. "Add those seasons together and it equates to an 82.3 percent touchdown conversion rate. To put this total into perspective, note that according to ESPN Stats & Information, college rushers converted carries from at or inside the 2-yard line into a touchdown an average of 59.3 percent of the time last year. This shows Yeldon is that rare type of back who can convert drives into six points a very high percentage of the time." Yeldon, compared to Le'Veon Bell and Frank Gore, will hear his name called on Day 2.

Source: ESPN Insider

Apr 18 - 9:54 PM

Rotoworld:

NFL Films' Greg Cosell compared Alabama RB T.J. Yeldon to Frank Gore on Wednesday.

"Yeldon picks and slides through traffic with vision, quick feet," Cosell, who's long been high on Yeldon, said. "Critical skills in NFL. Like Frank Gore." The downside of Yeldon is that he "bounces outside too often, expecting to outrun people," according to Cosell. Yeldon figures to be a day-two pick and one who can slide in and contribute immediately. He's also drawn Le'Veon Bell comps.

Source: Paul Kuharsky on Twitter
LeVeon Bellis a closer than Gore, IMO. Who he really reminds me of is Chris Brown - former Titan. Upright runner, but can slash his way through traffic, and has the size to take on defenders.

Rotoworld:

Alabama RB T.J. Yeldon is "a narrow-based runner who isn't as powerful as his size (6-foot-1, 226 pounds) might indicate," notes ESPN's Todd McShay.

McShay ranks Yeldon No. 65 overall in the class, basically a mid-Day 2 pick. "He'll break a few tackles, but he isn't an overpowering runner," McShay wrote. "Where he excels is with his lateral agility and acceleration off his cuts. So many times on tape I'd see him make a quick jump cut in the backfield to elude a defender and then explode through the hole. I think he can play in either a power O or zone-blocking running scheme, as he's patient, waits for blocks to develop and does a good job of finding cutback lanes." Yeldon has been compared to Le'Veon Bell and Frank Gore. He's outstanding near the goal line.

Apr 23 - 7:05 PM

Rotoworld:

Alabama RB T.J. Yeldon is "a narrow-based runner who isn't as powerful as his size (6-foot-1, 226 pounds) might indicate," notes ESPN's Todd McShay.

McShay ranks Yeldon No. 65 overall in the class, basically a mid-Day 2 pick. "He'll break a few tackles, but he isn't an overpowering runner," McShay wrote. "Where he excels is with his lateral agility and acceleration off his cuts. So many times on tape I'd see him make a quick jump cut in the backfield to elude a defender and then explode through the hole. I think he can play in either a power O or zone-blocking running scheme, as he's patient, waits for blocks to develop and does a good job of finding cutback lanes." Yeldon has been compared to Le'Veon Bell and Frank Gore. He's outstanding near the goal line.

Apr 23 - 7:05 PM
Not the biggest fan of McShay but I think he is dead on with this. Yeldon in some locations really moves the needle for me as I think he is definitely situation-dependent.

After watching Yeldon, I'm sold. There's just something I enjoy about his running. I can't quite nail down what it is.

I don't agree with the Bell comparison. I think Bell ran with his shoulders a lot more square than Yeldon does. Yeldon also runs on a tight rope more than Bell did.

Users who are viewing this thread