What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Basic Income Guarantee (1 Viewer)

The BIG does not go down when you earn more money, everyone, including people who make much more than 16k/year, gets it. And you only pay taxes on the money you earned. This is in stark contrast to current programs like welfare and social security and unemloyment, which decrease or even eliminate benefits when you make money and provide a strong disincentive to work.
:goodposting: The BIG creates an incentive to work (when the income amount isn't silly high), IMHO. The current system creates a disincentive.

Those who are in favor of creating incentives for people to work ought to back the BIG, but perhaps at a lower income level.

Hint: don't get hung up on the $15K amount. Just think through the general idea of a BIG versus the system we have now.

I think you're failing to understand the ramifications of this. If you told me at 18 that you would give me $15k a year to do nothing, that's exactly what I'd do.
probably, and you would have a good time doing it. I'd bet after a year of living a life exactly equivalent to the bottom rung of society, you would get bored and maybe a little ambitious and you might want to do better for yourself.
I don't know, man. Have you seen what video games are like these days? Is $15K a year enough to split rent with someone on a hole in the wall apartment, food, Internet, and a MMORPG subscription?
Do you condemn such behavior because you'd jealously resent them, or because you think society would be harmed in some way by their lack of contribution?
I would resent them AND I think it would harm society.If you did this it would create a massive underground economy with people getting paid in cash to avoid taxes.
Do what now?

I think you're failing to understand the ramifications of this. If you told me at 18 that you would give me $15k a year to do nothing, that's exactly what I'd do.
probably, and you would have a good time doing it. I'd bet after a year of living a life exactly equivalent to the bottom rung of society, you would get bored and maybe a little ambitious and you might want to do better for yourself.
I don't know, man. Have you seen what video games are like these days? Is $15K a year enough to split rent with someone on a hole in the wall apartment, food, Internet, and a MMORPG subscription?
Do you condemn such behavior because you'd jealously resent them, or because you think society would be harmed in some way by their lack of contribution?
I would resent them AND I think it would harm society.If you did this it would create a massive underground economy with people getting paid in cash to avoid taxes.
Do what now?
It would create a massive underground economy. Restaurants, landscapers, construction... basically small business would all offer to pay their employees in cash at a low rate. This way, the employee can claim they are unemployeed, collect their 15K from the government, then get the low wage job to put on top of the 15K and end up making a decent living. The employer would like the fact that they would not have to pay a high wage in order to make their employees happy, and if paid in cash they could avoid any federal, ss, or payroll taxes.

The person bequeathing that money was already taxed. Why should it be taxed again? BS IMO.
Because as a society we choose to do so. I have no problem with you doing what you want with your money once you've paid taxes on it, however it was earned. If you choose to buy a car, you might pay sales or excise taxes. If you buy and sell stocks, you might pay capital gains. If you employ someone, you might pay a payroll tax. those are all valid decisions on what to do with your money that incur a secondary taxation.But of all the taxes, the idea of an estate tax is one where we basically say, look, if you want to hand a business down from generation to generation, that's fine. If you want to set up a college fund and a trust fund to make sure your kid has a leg up in life, more power to you. But if you want to pass on your multi million dollar estate to a kid who has not intention of providing value to society, and just wants to consume our resources on your dime after you're gone, then your little paris hilton is going to have to pony up a pain in the ### tax to the rest of us working folks. If you don't like it, send your kid out of america because we don't want them.
Only this law impacts a lot more than the hiltons of the world. It hits farmers and ranchers who are not monetarily wealthy but own land to farm. It doesn't really take that much land before your taxed and have to sell a portion just to pay this tax. It impacts a lot more people like who are 'working folks' that than the little hiltons. It's a bad tax.

I think the thing that scares me the most is giving $15K to 18 year olds.
Car manufacturers disagree with you ;)But seriously, that is a good point. I'd probably be in favor of limiting it to those "out on their own" but I'm not sure if that is feasible or not.

The estate tax is the one tax where the person literally doesn't lose anything by paying it.
Can you elaborate?
Which leaves us in a dilly of a pickle. Either we allow some people, by virtue of their birth, to step onto an unlevel playing field on day one, or we don't, and we disincent our best people from earning as much as possible. Enter the estate tax, which says, look, for most of you, you can just keep whatever your folks pass on to you. But if youve earned enough that you can pass on so much money that your kids will never provide value to society, and will be net consumers their entire lives, then they should pay tax on that "income" as if it were money they earned - since they may never actually earn anything in their lives. After that, if the kid earns anything or not, they can go on just like anyone else.

As for who decides it, I do, and I would vote for the estate tax ten times out of ten, and work to get more people to vote for it. I believe in that tax more than almost any other we have because it fits my vision for america to a t.
bostonfred, enlightening thoughts again. Seriously. Good stuff. I never thought about this from the angle of a person not contributing to the tax pool, just living off of their parents inheritance, etc.Two points though.

1) Should a child not be allowed to live off of that income tax-free because their parents payed a correspondingly high amount in taxes when they initially earned the money? It seems like if you are punishing the child for not providing value to society, you should also reward someone for providing a disproportionally larger value to society, instead of taxing them more.

2) I think one of my issues with this is that it provides a diminishing marginal return on success. Make more money, work harder, pay more taxes. If you start to overtax the super-successful via taxes while they're alive, and taxes that hinder their wishes when they die, there is less motivation to be super-successful. At some point, you lose the motivation to succeed. Darwinism dies off. People become OK with being just "OK." That's not how great things happen. What people often fail to realize, in my opinion, when pointing fingers at the rich, is that the success of the rich generates tons of income for others, beyond the paycheck that the guy at the top gets. Nobody would have a job were it not for the guy at the top who started the company to begin with, but that's never figured into their perceived obligation to society.
The person who earned the money is dead and can't use it anymore.Regarding your points:

1) No they weren't the ones who earned the money and paid taxes on it. It is now income and should be taxed (I think the current $5M exemption is reasonable).

2) People love to make money and the having the people who inherit it pay a tax doesn't change that.
Wait...To your first point, that indicates that the tax is paid by the dead wealthy person, which it isn't. It's paid by the person who inherits the money, presumably out of the inheritance assuming there is enough liquid assets to cover, no? I guess my issue is that if you were left a large sum of land, you would be responsible for paying estate taxes on a large, illiquid, potentially difficult to sell piece of land. While you are given assets that value far more than the taxes owed, those assets aren't always liquid or fairly appraised, especially if you have to sell them in a hurry to cover taxes. I'd liken it to the folks on Extreme Home Makeover who get million dollar houses, then don't have enough money to pay the increased income taxes. They have a million dollar house, yes, but they have no cash unless they sell the whole thing.Re. 1)Is it income? It's not really, because to your comment, they weren't the ones who earned it. How is it income if they didn't earn it? They may live off of it, but it was earned by the ancestor, who payed their taxes. Regarding the $5M exemption, everybody has their own definition of reasonable. To most, $5M is a huge sum of money, but in the eyes of someone making that in a year, that's an almost worthless amount of exemptions.

Re. 2) I'm not saying that this tax alone will change it...but if I was faced with working 80 hours to achieve something great that would benefit society, missing time with family, hobbies, etc...and working 40 hours to "do my part," and having time for the other stuff, I would absolutely look at the diminishing marginal returns of my time investment as the % taxed increases...Income tax, personal property tax, and yes, also including estate tax, because it's my hard earned money, and my time, and I would consider the tax implications of what I had hoped to pass on to my children.

Only this law impacts a lot more than the hiltons of the world. It hits farmers and ranchers who are not monetarily wealthy but own land to farm. It doesn't really take that much land before your taxed and have to sell a portion just to pay this tax. It impacts a lot more people like who are 'working folks' that than the little hiltons. It's a bad tax.
People that own millions of dollars of land don't really strike me as regular working folks.

Re. 2) I'm not saying that this tax alone will change it...but if I was faced with working 80 hours to achieve something great that would benefit society, missing time with family, hobbies, etc...and working 40 hours to "do my part," and having time for the other stuff, I would absolutely look at the diminishing marginal returns of my time investment as the % taxed increases.
Seems a bit strange to me that the workaholic that spends no time with his family is benefiting society but the guy with the regular job is not. Isn't there a benefit to society from having people spend time with their families?

Sorry to bring common sense into this discussion, but you're saying that people would work 40 hours a week at a burger joint making $8 an hour when they could be making half that by sitting on their couches and eating doritos all day?

:lmao:

genius!
Exactly. After college drop out of high school move into a house with 4 or 5 of your buddies. Have a pool , ping pong , billiards, and have a great time .
Fixed.

bostonfred, enlightening thoughts again. Seriously. Good stuff. I never thought about this from the angle of a person not contributing to the tax pool, just living off of their parents inheritance, etc.Two points though.1) Should a child not be allowed to live off of that income tax-free because their parents payed a correspondingly high amount in taxes when they initially earned the money? It seems like if you are punishing the child for not providing value to society, you should also reward someone for providing a disproportionally larger value to society, instead of taxing them more.2) I think one of my issues with this is that it provides a diminishing marginal return on success. Make more money, work harder, pay more taxes. If you start to overtax the super-successful via taxes while they're alive, and taxes that hinder their wishes when they die, there is less motivation to be super-successful. At some point, you lose the motivation to succeed. Darwinism dies off. People become OK with being just "OK." That's not how great things happen. What people often fail to realize, in my opinion, when pointing fingers at the rich, is that the success of the rich generates tons of income for others, beyond the paycheck that the guy at the top gets. Nobody would have a job were it not for the guy at the top who started the company to begin with, but that's never figured into their perceived obligation to society.
1) im not sure punishing children is the phrase I would use for applying a tax to inheritances over 5 million dollars, which is the maximum the law currently allows. But I understand your point: if you earn money, shouldnt you be able to do with it what you want? And the answer is yes, you should. But if you want to buy a car with it, you will have to pay sales tax and excise tax. If you want to buy a house, you will have to pay real estate tax. And if you want to secure your childs future, you may have to pay an estate tax - but only if its a really sizable amount. this is not a disincentive to save, this is simply a fact that high earners know, and they make an educated decision about how to leave their money and how it will be taxed when they die. That may include charitable contributions, leaving it to a spouse (where it is not taxed the same as an inheritance since it was presumably a joint asset), leaving it to children, or gifting it in other ways. 2) the effect you're describing is a real one, but you've actually provided an argument FOR the estate tax, not against it. What you're describing is often misunderstood as a case where someone says, oh well, there's no point earning any more money, since I will only get 60 cents of every dollar I make instead of 70. And to be sure, there is some of that. But the more serious issue is when someone says, I will not make this investment that has x% risk and y% return, because the after tax return is not worth the risk. That is a real issue with individual and corporate tax rates on the "job creators". But that doesn't happen with the estate tax. There is no return on investmen in your own death. What DOES happen, though, is that people go to a financial planner and say, how much do I need to give to my kid so they can be financially independent for life. And if that number is, say, ten million, and the person earns ten million, then they've hit your imaginary limit where darwinism no longer forces them to earn any more. (And I say its imaginary because that effect is rarely observed in practice). the estate tax actually forces them to earn more - 12 or 13 million per kid, say, instead of ten. By increasing the "price" of leaving your kids so much money they never need to do anything, we push the brass ring further out and encourage the job creators to work harder.Not that that is an argument for the estate tax in and of itself, but argument 2 doesn't actually work the way you described.

This way, the employee can claim they are unemployeed, collect their 15K from the government, then get the low wage job to put on top of the 15K and end up making a decent living.
Read better.
I guess you are saying the unemployment part is not correct? Because we are talking about just giving the 15K to eveyone that collects government benefits? Regardless of that detail, I think the same thing would happen.I would wager that even the current uemployment benefits are causing this to happen now. People are collecting government benefits now, and working cash jobs while collecting from the government. I think a plan like BIG would greatly increase the number of people that do this now.Unless there is something else I missed. Which I'm not counting out as a possiblity. I suck at reading.

The main problem with this solution is that over time, the current welfare programs would come back and we would end up with both.

bostonfred, enlightening thoughts again. Seriously. Good stuff. I never thought about this from the angle of a person not contributing to the tax pool, just living off of their parents inheritance, etc.Two points though.1) Should a child not be allowed to live off of that income tax-free because their parents payed a correspondingly high amount in taxes when they initially earned the money? It seems like if you are punishing the child for not providing value to society, you should also reward someone for providing a disproportionally larger value to society, instead of taxing them more.2) I think one of my issues with this is that it provides a diminishing marginal return on success. Make more money, work harder, pay more taxes. If you start to overtax the super-successful via taxes while they're alive, and taxes that hinder their wishes when they die, there is less motivation to be super-successful. At some point, you lose the motivation to succeed. Darwinism dies off. People become OK with being just "OK." That's not how great things happen. What people often fail to realize, in my opinion, when pointing fingers at the rich, is that the success of the rich generates tons of income for others, beyond the paycheck that the guy at the top gets. Nobody would have a job were it not for the guy at the top who started the company to begin with, but that's never figured into their perceived obligation to society.
1) im not sure punishing children is the phrase I would use for applying a tax to inheritances over 5 million dollars, which is the maximum the law currently allows. But I understand your point: if you earn money, shouldnt you be able to do with it what you want? And the answer is yes, you should. But if you want to buy a car with it, you will have to pay sales tax and excise tax. If you want to buy a house, you will have to pay real estate tax. And if you want to secure your childs future, you may have to pay an estate tax - but only if its a really sizable amount. this is not a disincentive to save, this is simply a fact that high earners know, and they make an educated decision about how to leave their money and how it will be taxed when they die. That may include charitable contributions, leaving it to a spouse (where it is not taxed the same as an inheritance since it was presumably a joint asset), leaving it to children, or gifting it in other ways. 2) the effect you're describing is a real one, but you've actually provided an argument FOR the estate tax, not against it. What you're describing is often misunderstood as a case where someone says, oh well, there's no point earning any more money, since I will only get 60 cents of every dollar I make instead of 70. And to be sure, there is some of that. But the more serious issue is when someone says, I will not make this investment that has x% risk and y% return, because the after tax return is not worth the risk. That is a real issue with individual and corporate tax rates on the "job creators". But that doesn't happen with the estate tax. There is no return on investmen in your own death. What DOES happen, though, is that people go to a financial planner and say, how much do I need to give to my kid so they can be financially independent for life. And if that number is, say, ten million, and the person earns ten million, then they've hit your imaginary limit where darwinism no longer forces them to earn any more. (And I say its imaginary because that effect is rarely observed in practice). the estate tax actually forces them to earn more - 12 or 13 million per kid, say, instead of ten. By increasing the "price" of leaving your kids so much money they never need to do anything, we push the brass ring further out and encourage the job creators to work harder.Not that that is an argument for the estate tax in and of itself, but argument 2 doesn't actually work the way you described.
The entire tax system is screwed up. I agree. /thread

The person bequeathing that money was already taxed. Why should it be taxed again? BS IMO.
Because as a society we choose to do so. I have no problem with you doing what you want with your money once you've paid taxes on it, however it was earned. If you choose to buy a car, you might pay sales or excise taxes. If you buy and sell stocks, you might pay capital gains. If you employ someone, you might pay a payroll tax. those are all valid decisions on what to do with your money that incur a secondary taxation.But of all the taxes, the idea of an estate tax is one where we basically say, look, if you want to hand a business down from generation to generation, that's fine. If you want to set up a college fund and a trust fund to make sure your kid has a leg up in life, more power to you. But if you want to pass on your multi million dollar estate to a kid who has not intention of providing value to society, and just wants to consume our resources on your dime after you're gone, then your little paris hilton is going to have to pony up a pain in the ### tax to the rest of us working folks. If you don't like it, send your kid out of america because we don't want them.
This is completely wrong. There is no evidence out there this has cost anyone the family farm. Less than 1 percent of all estates are worth more than 1 million. Ending the inheritance tax is basically a give away to less than 1 percent of the population. That's why I picked 1 million as the number.

This way, the employee can claim they are unemployeed, collect their 15K from the government, then get the low wage job to put on top of the 15K and end up making a decent living.
Read better.
I guess you are saying the unemployment part is not correct? Because we are talking about just giving the 15K to eveyone that collects government benefits? Regardless of that detail, I think the same thing would happen.I would wager that even the current uemployment benefits are causing this to happen now. People are collecting government benefits now, and working cash jobs while collecting from the government. I think a plan like BIG would greatly increase the number of people that do this now.Unless there is something else I missed. Which I'm not counting out as a possiblity. I suck at reading.
Not just "everyone that collects government benefits". Everyone. Period. No more games or patchworks of programs. Heck, if you came across someone who needed help the first thing you can ask them is "what did you do with your $15K" (or whatever) if you so desired. The current incentive to work for under the table money would be exactly the same as the incentive to work for under the table money under the BIG system. That particular objection is a wash, IMHO.

I set the amount at 15,600 a year.
Why would people work for $8 a hour if you did this?
:goodposting:
I can't tell if you two are just totally missing the point of the BIG or if you have some other point you are trying to make here, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt. The reason they woud work for 8 bucks an hour is so they could make more money. They would gross 32000 per year instead of 16000, and only pay taxs on the eight bucks an hour. The BIG does not go down when you earn more money, everyone, including people who make much more than 16k/year, gets it. And you only pay taxes on the money you earned. This is in stark contrast to current programs like welfare and social security and unemloyment, which decrease or even eliminate benefits when you make money and provide a strong disincentive to work.
Hold on - the plan is to give $15k a year to all 225M adult Americans? That's 3.375 TRILLION per year.
How can this be your twentieth post in this thread? Yes, that's the plan weve been discussing in a thread where you are the leading poster. You now seem to be on the road to understaanding the plan you have been so vocal and opinionated about. If you go back and read some of the earlier posts, you will see this and other points addressed.

If only there were a way to make everybody work really hard for the exact same wages. Ah Nirvana, will we ever obtain you?!
If you are seriously interested in this thread - and i dont blame you if you arent - then the question should be, if only there were a way to eliminate welfare, social security, and other programs, and actually encourage everyone to work by eliminating the primary disincentive in these outdated, and arguably failed, programs. And knowing your political bent, I would think that really is nirvana for you.

I can't tell if you two are just totally missing the point of the BIG or if you have some other point you are trying to make here, so I will give you the benefit of the doubt. The reason they woud work for 8 bucks an hour is so they could make more money. They would gross 32000 per year instead of 16000, and only pay taxs on the eight bucks an hour. The BIG does not go down when you earn more money, everyone, including people who make much more than 16k/year, gets it. And you only pay taxes on the money you earned. This is in stark contrast to current programs like welfare and social security and unemloyment, which decrease or even eliminate benefits when you make money and provide a strong disincentive to work.
Hold on - the plan is to give $15k a year to all 225M adult Americans? That's 3.375 TRILLION per year.
How can this be your twentieth post in this thread? Yes, that's the plan weve been discussing in a thread where you are the leading poster. You now seem to be on the road to understaanding the plan you have been so vocal and opinionated about. If you go back and read some of the earlier posts, you will see this and other points addressed.
In all honesty, as you can see from my earlier posts, I didn't really get this either. The only problem is, I don't see how this fact makes the idea any better. IMO, it would make it worse.When I read that it would essentially replace our current welfare system, I thought it only involved those that currently collect government benefits... but giving it to everyone sounds kind of ridiculous to me, and I don't think it really negates any arguement against it.

In all honesty, as you can see from my earlier posts, I didn't really get this either. The only problem is, I don't see how this fact makes the idea any better. IMO, it would make it worse.When I read that it would essentially replace our current welfare system, I thought it only involved those that currently collect government benefits... but giving it to everyone sounds kind of ridiculous to me, and I don't think it really negates any arguement against it.
Well, you can't just hand $15k to the losers of the country. #### that BS.

Seriously, please pass this. I will pay off my house in two years and retire.

Someone who is good with their money can do a lot with 15k per year.

Seriously, please pass this. I will pay off my house in two years and retire.Someone who is good with their money can do a lot with 15k per year.
Unfortunately, just like my idea of giving everyone a $1 Million (capped) US Currency printing press, this would fail miserably for one simple reason. The minute corporate america found out that people had an extra $15k, prices rise. Instant inflation.In fact I would submit that inflation would rise to the point where that $15k would be worthless and you would be back at square one or most likely less.

Last edited by a moderator:
Seriously, please pass this. I will pay off my house in two years and retire.Someone who is good with their money can do a lot with 15k per year.
Hint: don't get hung up on the $15K amount. Just think through the general idea of a BIG versus the system we have now.
$15K is an example. Pick a different number you like better: one that provides some sort of safety net (so we can get rid of all our other safety net programs), but that still provides a strong enough incentive to work. Waa-laa!

People that own millions of dollars of land don't really strike me as regular working folks.
I guess you dont know many farmers then. I happen to know some and this tax sucks for them. And they work harder than you or I do.

The idea is simple. There is no more gaming of the system. if you make 100k now, your taxes would go up, and your net income would ultimately stay the same. If you make 0 now, but get welfare, your welfare would go away, and you would get thousands per year in BIG, and your net income would ultimately stay the same. The reason this is better is that right now, if you make 100k, you cant get welfare. If you make 0, you can. But what happens when you make 10k/yr in a part time job? In the current system, your welfare benefit goes down. So now instead of making 10k/year more by working, you pay taxes on your check (you get them back at the end of the year, but that's cold comfort right now) , and your benefits go down, and you may even lose access to state or federal programs that offer health or other benefits. But with the BIG, you get a check. No matter what. You get the same amount whether you take that part time job or not, so every after tax dollar you earn is yours to keep. No worries about your benefits getting slashed because you earn more. And you know what? Let's get rid of that minimum wage, too, since people who make 5 bucks an hour are still getting the BIG. These are things conservatives are supposed to like.Will people abuse this? Sure. They abuse welfare and unemployment and social security now, too. This just gives the abusers an incentive to work.

there are some real reasons this can't happen. first of all, it takes away the government's ability to influence society. An example is the mortgage credit. At some point, the federal gov't decided it would be noble if all Americans owned a house. Towards that end, they came up with some measures to guide society towards home ownership, including incentives in the tax code. Other examples might be education credits, energy credits, etc. Everything we call a "loophole" or a "deduction" is a result of someone in Washington trying to steer societal behavior in one direction or another. BIG goes hand-in-hand with eliminating a good part of this, it takes power away from Washington. therefore, it can never happen.further, it would lead to the elimination of a ton of bureaucratic entities - the folks that currently oversee the safety net. all of these entities have advocates that will frame the elimination of welfare as a "War on the poor". Basically, I have zero faith in Washington DC being able to get over it's own bureaucratic inefficiencies for the greater good.
I like the part that it takes away government's ability to influence society. I think the mortgage credit is a bad idea.

This is completely wrong. There is no evidence out there this has cost anyone the family farm. Less than 1 percent of all estates are worth more than 1 million. Ending the inheritance tax is basically a give away to less than 1 percent of the population. That's why I picked 1 million as the number.
Your stats are bad as usual. But forget that for now. Pass the 15 k a year deal and a 1m death tax and I have two good reasons not to work. Sign me up.

Unfortunately, just like my idea of giving everyone a $1 Million (capped) US Currency printing press, this would fail miserably for one simple reason. The minute corporate america found out that people had an extra $15k, prices rise. Instant inflation.In fact I would submit that inflation would rise to the point where that $15k would be worthless and you would be back at square one or most likely less.
Inflation only happens if there is an increasing amount of money in the money supply. Presumably, the money for a hypothetical BIG program would just be money coming from other programs. But if someone presented a BIG program that just borrowed the money to give away, I wouldn't support it for this very reason.Much better comment, BTW, welcome back ;) :P

there are some real reasons this can't happen. first of all, it takes away the government's ability to influence society. An example is the mortgage credit. At some point, the federal gov't decided it would be noble if all Americans owned a house. Towards that end, they came up with some measures to guide society towards home ownership, including incentives in the tax code. Other examples might be education credits, energy credits, etc. Everything we call a "loophole" or a "deduction" is a result of someone in Washington trying to steer societal behavior in one direction or another. BIG goes hand-in-hand with eliminating a good part of this, it takes power away from Washington. therefore, it can never happen.further, it would lead to the elimination of a ton of bureaucratic entities - the folks that currently oversee the safety net. all of these entities have advocates that will frame the elimination of welfare as a "War on the poor". Basically, I have zero faith in Washington DC being able to get over it's own bureaucratic inefficiencies for the greater good.
I like the part that it takes away government's ability to influence society. I think the mortgage credit is a bad idea.
It is a bad idea. The average American homeowner makes roughly 100.00 a year from it and there is no proof it increases home ownership. In fact there are countries without it that have higher ownership rates than the US.

Sorry to bring common sense into this discussion, but you're saying that people would work 40 hours a week at a burger joint making $8 an hour when they could be making half that by sitting on their couches and eating doritos all day?:lmao:genius!
Exactly. After college move into a house with 4 or 5 of your buddies. Have a pool , ping pong , billiards, and have a great time .
I don't know many losers with physically and emotionally attractive significant others. I bet this strategy doesn't last your entire life.

If only there were a way to make everybody work really hard for the exact same wages. Ah Nirvana, will we ever obtain you?!
If you are seriously interested in this thread - and i dont blame you if you arent - then the question should be, if only there were a way to eliminate welfare, social security, and other programs, and actually encourage everyone to work by eliminating the primary disincentive in these outdated, and arguably failed, programs. And knowing your political bent, I would think that really is nirvana for you.
OLRY? If you are saying my "political bent" is that healthy people that would rather do nothing (see my little sister) and mooch off of others than work for themselves. Yeah, sure. I'm all for some kind of safety net although SS is just a giant pyramid scheme and you know it.

Sorry to bring common sense into this discussion, but you're saying that people would work 40 hours a week at a burger joint making $8 an hour when they could be making half that by sitting on their couches and eating doritos all day?:lmao:genius!
Exactly. After college move into a house with 4 or 5 of your buddies. Have a pool , ping pong , billiards, and have a great time .
I don't know many losers with physically and emotionally attractive significant others. I bet this strategy doesn't last your entire life.
Agree. Maybe a good 6 years. 10 if youre industrious.

I guess you dont know many farmers then. I happen to know some and this tax sucks for them. And they work harder than you or I do.
My grandparents had a very large farm in Iowa that sold for about $1.3M. FWIW, I support an estate tax threshold far above $1M.

You are missing the other bit - it also replaces most loopholes in the tax code (itemized deductions). So the FBG pulling in a sweet $150k/year who has $15k in deductions - those deductions are gone but you get the $15k guarantee.

I love the fact that people made it pages into this thread without understanding the basic premise of the entire topic being discussed. Actually, I don't love it, it's incredibly sad and immensely frustrating.

Anyway, yhis is one of those ideas that, when you first hear it, sounds absurd, but once you sit down and think about it for a while it starts to make more sense. For that reason alone, I don't think it will ever happen.

$15K is an example. Pick a different number you like better: one that provides some sort of safety net (so we can get rid of all our other safety net programs), but that still provides a strong enough incentive to work. Waa-laa!
You are hopelessly naive if you think we will get rid of all other safety net programs. You might initially, but they will come back because there will still be plenty of irresponsible people, plenty of kids going hungry, and plenty of media-driven sob stories.

You are hopelessly naive if you think we will get rid of all other safety net programs. You might initially, but they will come back because there will still be plenty of irresponsible people, plenty of kids going hungry, and plenty of media-driven sob stories.
I already said I agree with you. That is a huge problem. Probably my biggest hang up with the BIG as a concept.

I hear ya and ordinarily don't disagree. We aren't coming from drastically different places here.I guess it comes down to your fundamental opinion of the population. I don't hold them in high regard either.

But, I know enough bright, hard working people to know that there are enough of us that don't want the absolute minimum that this can work.

consider this, [icon] - what is stopping you, right now, from quitting your job, moving into section 8 housing, and collecting food stamps?
I know i sound really bad in this thread... and part of it is schticking it up to get folks attention, but the problem is that I'd wager less than 50% of aid goes to people who are legitimately trying to better themselves and about 50% goes to folks just content to ride the wave of government support. I have NO basis of support for those numbers but it's a general feeling from what I see with my eyes. I genuinely want to help the former... I want to latter to suffer and either develop some work ethic and contribute to society... or go away. Me, I have a pride in the fact that I work for my money. At my fathers company there was a tradition of nepotism... his superiors all brought their kids in and let them work for kush jobs and fat paychecks that they simply didn't deserve. I could have followed that path but I didn't want to be handed a job by "daddy" when I graduated college. Part of being a man is making your own way (to a degree) and carving out a good life for yourself and your family.

I could never drop to that free standard because I would feel worthless knowing that I'm not earning that money... knowing that others have worked damn hard for the money and are now being forced to hand it to me so I can sit on my couch and watch TV all day. #### that.
agreed. This is where we differ though. I believe that personal pride and work ethic are the rule for most people and lazy, willing to mooch is the exception. Most people would not simply couch surf with their $15k, because most people don't do it now.Reminds me of Office Space:

Peter Gibbons: What would you do if you had a million dollars?

Lawrence: I'll tell you what I'd do, man: two chicks at the same time, man.

Peter Gibbons: That's it? If you had a million dollars, you'd do two chicks at the same time?

Lawrence: Damn straight. I always wanted to do that, man. And I think if I were a millionaire I could hook that up, too; 'cause chicks dig dudes with money.

Peter Gibbons: Well, not all chicks.

Lawrence: Well, the type of chicks that'd double up on a dude like me do.

Peter Gibbons: Good point.

Lawrence: Well, what about you now? What would you do?

Peter Gibbons: Besides two chicks at the same time?

Lawrence: Well, yeah.

Peter Gibbons: Nothing.

Lawrence: Nothing, huh?

Peter Gibbons: I would relax... I would sit on my ### all day... I would do nothing.

Lawrence: Well, you don't need a million dollars to do nothing, man. Take a look at my cousin: he's broke, don't do ####.
people sit on their asses now, they don't need a monthly check from the gov't to do it. most people, I think, want a better place in life than the very bottom.

I already said I agree with you. That is a huge problem. Probably my biggest hang up with the BIG as a concept.
It is certainly one of the details to work out. I do think we could seriously reduce our entitlements. I think we could even eliminate a lot of them. I think we could also get some skin in the game from a lot of people who do use those programs that are left. We would probably still have food assistance but we would have less of it. We would probably have some housing assistance but we could get more from the residents rent wise. Again these are the discussions we would have to have before we did anything.

How can you be advocating a program that is nearly equal to the entire 2013 budget ($3.54T)? SS, Medicare and Medicaid all add up to $1.65T, about half of what is being proposed here.

Last edited by a moderator:
The solution that BIG is trying to achieve is to provide everyone with the basics of life. We can agree that those basics are food, shelter, and clothing (some may add health care). The challenge is how to do that efficiently. Giving money is the most efficient way of distributing benfits, but has no limitations on use. This allows people to use that money on objects not required for survival. And as a society, I don't believe we can deny someone food because they spent their money improperly.

But I wonder if expanding some existing programs in the same method will work. What if everyone got food stamps? Right now fraud exists because people trade their food stamps for money, and use money to buy things. Other people will buy food stamps with money, as they can get more food for what they buy. But if everyone received food stamps, who would give money for them? Their value would be non-existant, with the expection of buying food.

Users who are viewing this thread