What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you think Snyder should change the name of the Redskins? (2 Viewers)

Should the Washington Redskins change their name?

• No

Votes: 312 43.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 320 44.4%
  • Meh

Votes: 89 12.3%

• Total voters
:shrug:

In for a dime, in for a dollar. If you are going to say its offensive, you can't keep using it even in conversation about the name.
:goodposting: Until everyone debating this issue on radio, tv or otherwise starts saying the "R-word" instead of "Redskins" it's pretty hypocritical.

Makes you wonder what the heck we are going to do when find another R or N word that is offensive that we need to abolish. How will we converse then?
Pretty easily just like we do now.

And more and more people and news outlets have, in fact, stopped using that word. I doubt people stopped using the N-word overnight, and even there we don't have anywhere close to 100% of people not using it.
When your great great grand kid has to reference "R-word #23" in her history paper it's going to seem rather silly.
you think people are using the word "redskin" in history papers?
Uhm, well, yeah.

In for a dime, in for a dollar. If you are going to say its offensive, you can't keep using it even in conversation about the name.
:goodposting: Until everyone debating this issue on radio, tv or otherwise starts saying the "R-word" instead of "Redskins" it's pretty hypocritical.

Makes you wonder what the heck we are going to do when find another R or N word that is offensive that we need to abolish. How will we converse then?
"Negro" (Spanish for black) - not ok
Its been a long time since I took spanish, but I don't think the spanish word fro black is pronounced the same as the word describing Black americans.
It's typed out there. Pronounce it however you want.

And more and more people and news outlets have, in fact, stopped using that word. I doubt people stopped using the N-word overnight, and even there we don't have anywhere close to 100% of people not using it.
When your great great grand kid has to reference "R-word #23" in her history paper it's going to seem rather silly.
You think they wont if the Washington Redskins are forced to change their name?
will someone, somewhere? Sure. Will it be common or interesting? No. Or part of a history class? No.

Just wondering now if this song is PC...

Jesus loves the little children

All the children of the world

Red, brown, yellow

Black and white

They are precious in His sight.

Jesus loves the little children

Of the world.

Jesus died for all the children

Red, brown, yellow

Black and white

Jesus died for all the children

Of the world.

Jesus rose for all the children

Red, brown, yellow

Black and white

Jesus rose for all the children

Of the world.

Uhm, well, yeah.
Ok, I concede that an extremely small number of people will continue to write etymology of words in anthropology class.

I chose Jewish stereotypes because I'm Jewish so I felt comfortable
And why is it ok for the people who find the word offensive to adopt it as their own? Seems logical that they'd be the last group to want use the word if they really find it offensive.
Do you have a point or is this just another example of white people problems?
It's a question, that apparently, you don't have an answer for.
The answer is that is a stupid point you are trying to make. I know where you are trying to go with this but the only answer is that it's okay because they say it's okay.

If it bothers you so much no one is preventing you from going up to a group of young black men and dropping a couple "What's up my ####as?" or "####a please!".

Go for it and Godspeed to you.
It doesn't bother me, I just find it an interesting social dynamic. It isn't logical that a subset of a group that finds a term offensive to adopt that term. And if they did it seems the larger group would take as much if not more offence to it. It not being logical makes it harder to explain so I'm not surprised your answer is just to attack the question.

Read about an interesting idea today:

Drop the word "Redskins" and call the team the Washington F.C. (football club, obviously) and keep the logo and colors and everything else the same. We all know what everyone who wanted to would still call them....

Just curious, but would an atheist have a claim against the Saint's Fleur-De-Lis?

At what point will "Chief" also be deemed derogatory towards Native Americans?

Just curious, but would an atheist have a claim against the Saint's Fleur-De-Lis?

Why would the fleur de lis be considered derogatory toward atheists?

Last edited by a moderator:

It's a Christian symbol. Don't mean to go all Dan Brown in here, but....

The Fleur-De-Lis Christian symbol with its association with the lily represents purity, and in turn to the Virgin Mary. As the Fleur-De-Lis is composed of three petals and three sepals it also symbolizes the Trinity.

The Fleur-De-Lis Christian symbol with its association with the lily represents purity, and in turn to the Virgin Mary. As the Fleur-De-Lis is composed of three petals and three sepals it also symbolizes the Trinity.
Tie a bow on this for me if you will; how are atheists harmed by the Saints use of the [SIZE=12.000001907348633px]Fleur-De-Lis? Does the use of this symbol demean atheists in some way that I can't see?[/SIZE]

Tie a bow on this for me if you will; how are atheists harmed by the Saints use of the [SIZE=12.000001907348633px]Fleur-De-Lis? Does the use of this symbol demean atheists in some way that I can't see?[/SIZE]
He's asking if atheists would be offended. If it doesn't offend you and you're an atheist, your answer would be "no"....HTH.

He's asking if atheists would be offended. If it doesn't offend you and you're an atheist, your answer would be "no"....HTH.
:lmao:

Tie a bow on this for me if you will; how are atheists harmed by the Saints use of the Fleur-De-Lis? Does the use of this symbol demean atheists in some way that I can't see?
k

Let me be the first to recommend that Footballguys show some moral fortitude and add the current team nickname for the Washington American Football Club into the language filter.
This would be awesome. And appropriate. I would venture back to the SP just to see the carnage.

It's a Christian symbol. Don't mean to go all Dan Brown in here, but....The Fleur-De-Lis Christian symbol with its association with the lily represents purity, and in turn to the Virgin Mary. As the Fleur-De-Lis is composed of three petals and three sepals it also symbolizes the Trinity.
Right. Why doe a christian symbol disparage an atheist? That's my question.

It's a Christian symbol. Don't mean to go all Dan Brown in here, but....The Fleur-De-Lis Christian symbol with its association with the lily represents purity, and in turn to the Virgin Mary. As the Fleur-De-Lis is composed of three petals and three sepals it also symbolizes the Trinity.
Tie a bow on this for me if you will; how are atheists harmed by the Saints use of the Fleur-De-Lis? Does the use of this symbol demean atheists in some way that I can't see?
The test isn't "is anyone offended?"

Can we get a master list of what idiots are trying to compare this to?

Saints are offensive to atheists.

Giants offensive to dwarfs.

Patriots offensive to anarchists.

Lakers offensive to Tusken Raiders

I chose Jewish stereotypes because I'm Jewish so I felt comfortable
And why is it ok for the people who find the word offensive to adopt it as their own? Seems logical that they'd be the last group to want use the word if they really find it offensive.
Do you have a point or is this just another example of white people problems?
It's a question, that apparently, you don't have an answer for.
The answer is that is a stupid point you are trying to make. I know where you are trying to go with this but the only answer is that it's okay because they say it's okay.If it bothers you so much no one is preventing you from going up to a group of young black men and dropping a couple "What's up my ####as?" or "####a please!".

Go for it and Godspeed to you.
It doesn't bother me, I just find it an interesting social dynamic. It isn't logical that a subset of a group that finds a term offensive to adopt that term. And if they did it seems the larger group would take as much if not more offence to it. It not being logical makes it harder to explain so I'm not surprised your answer is just to attack the question.
:yawn: no the answer is because they are okay with it. Doesn't matter if it fits your logic or not.Accept it and move on.

The test isn't quite that broad, but it's close.

The test isn't quite that broad, but it's close.
Yeah, I think it has to be 6 people.

Henry Ford said:
To the question posed? Of course it is. You lawyer guys feel free to add whatever adjectives you feel necessary to answer the question in lawyer terms. Guy asked a simple question and I think it's pretty clear what he was getting at. My guess is most atheists wouldn't know what he was talking about in the first place, but that's a different discussion.

his post makes zero sense. redskins is offensive to native Americans because it is a derogatory term for them. is a saint a derogatory term for an atheist?

great, so now every Redskins game will have to be prefaced with a "warning- may contain offensive language" message.. what's next, make Skins games PG-13?

Henry Ford said:
To the question posed? Of course it is. You lawyer guys feel free to add whatever adjectives you feel necessary to answer the question in lawyer terms. Guy asked a simple question and I think it's pretty clear what he was getting at. My guess is most atheists wouldn't know what he was talking about in the first place, but that's a different discussion.
Actually the question posed was derogatory, which is close to the correct question- the actual question is whether the trademark consists of "matter ... which may disparage ... persons, living or dead, institutions, beliefs, or national symbols." The answer to that question w/r/t the Fleur de Lis is obviously no, in my opinion.

You changed it to "is anyone offended," which is irrelevant (that's not the legal standard) and also impossible to know. Only the person you're asking about can know if they're offended or not.

Henry Ford said:
Actually the question posed was derogatory, which is close to the correct question- the actual question is whether the trademark consists of "matter ... which may disparage ... persons, living or dead, institutions, beliefs, or national symbols." The answer to that question w/r/t the Fleur de Lis is obviously no, in my opinion.

You changed it to "is anyone offended," which is irrelevant (that's not the legal standard) and also impossible to know. Only the person you're asking about can know if they're offended or not.
:lmao: awesome....until it is, right?

ETA: Rereading the question, he only used "claim" in that question. Derogatory was the next question, so now I'm not sure what he's asking. Regardless, several of the comments in response to him were essentially "tell me why I should be offended" instead of the guy getting a straight answer. My general rule with stuff like this is if I have to explain why you should be offended, you aren't offended.

Henry Ford said:

:lmao: awesome....until it is, right?
Well, no. The legal standard is whether the matter may disparage at the time of the registration.

But don't let that stop you from making a preposterous slippery slope argument.

matttyl said:

his post makes zero sense. redskins is offensive to native Americans because it is a derogatory term for them. is a saint a derogatory term for an atheist?
About the fleur de lis: there are actually some locals who claim that it was a symbol of French oppression via slavery and they object to that. Also, the state essentially flushes money into Tom Benson's pockets so the argument could be made that it violates separation of church and state, which if the light bulb went off in some activist freak's head I could see being some kind of crazy cause. If so :boxing:

Users who are viewing this thread