What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Do you think Snyder should change the name of the Redskins? (1 Viewer)

Should the Washington Redskins change their name?

• No

Votes: 312 43.3%
  • Yes

Votes: 320 44.4%
  • Meh

Votes: 89 12.3%

• Total voters
Kevrunner said:
I just think it would be a smart moved for Kansas City Chiefs to get a new nickname.   Since it’s pretty obvious the Redskins days are numbered, the Chiefs are in the crosshairs now.

Chief
This is a word that is commonly given as a nickname which incorrectly labels Native American men. The term 'chief' itself is incorrect.  American Indian leaders were never 'chiefs', but headmen, or clan mothers, and so on.  Not 'chiefs'.  Native leaders were highly disrespected by the USA.  So calling someone 'Chief', is just a way to continue that disrespect. Trust us when we tell you, being called 'chief' carries with it the same insulting, belittling sting for a Native man as being called 'boy' does for African American men.
This one is easy.

The Kansas City Chefs.

Redtails

Kind of like this and the logo renderings.
I picked this in the poll in the Shark Pool. But Rivera has said they want to honor Native American culture and the military and there are two he really likes.
I don't know if there was an Indian equivalent to the Airmen, but I'm thinking Thunderbirds could be one of them.
I don't think they'll worry about including Red in the name, but could still be colors.

I guess he's moved on from Bubba Wallace and NASCAR

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

They name teams out of STRENGTH, not weakness, but now the Washington Redskins & Cleveland Indians, two fabled sports franchises, look like they are going to be changing their names in order to be politically correct. Indians, like Elizabeth Warren, must be very angry right now!

2:13 PM · Jul 6, 2020

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess he's moved on from Bubba Wallace and NASCAR

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump

They name teams out of STRENGTH, not weakness, but now the Washington Redskins & Cleveland Indians, two fabled sports franchises, look like they are going to be changing their names in order to be politically correct. Indians, like Elizabeth Warren, must be very angry right now!

2:13 PM · Jul 6, 2020
I'm sure some will be outraged at this comment but I'm just :lmao:   - guy is just a troll and people will vote for him!  It's amazing and sad at the same time.

Well, I don't like her, so I thought that part was amusing. The overall sentiment of the tweet not-so-much. 
I'm sure she'll have a response.

Well, I don't like her, so I thought that part was amusing. The overall sentiment of the tweet not-so-much. 
I'm sure she'll have a response.
I have no issue with Warren - she wasn't who I wanted to win the D nominee but I do think his constant bashing her and calling her Pocahontas is just ridiculous and completely Un-Presedential.  When I say I'm :lmao: it's at the idea that people can vote for someone like him with a straight face.

Just a thought again, if Native Americans are ok with the name, why does it need changing?

Because it’s a racial slur.  And not all of them are ok with the name.  🤷🏽‍♂️
Growing up with one minority parent in a diverse area I thought I heard every slur known.  I have never heard anyone in my life use the term "Redskin" as a slur. Actually other than the Redskins football team and potatoes I never heard the word used.

Being a Cowboy fan though I have always hated the Redskins. So I don`t care if they change the name.  If Snyder want to really fire people up call them the Washington Trumps. That will be more offensive than Redskins.

Because it’s a racial slur.  And not all of them are ok with the name.  🤷🏽‍♂️
Does that mean the N word must be banned too? Are we going to tell people what to do because alot of people find that word offensive? If so the music industry is in trouble.

Growing up with one minority parent in a diverse area I thought I heard every slur known.  I have never heard anyone in my life use the term "Redskin" as a slur. Actually other than the Redskins football team and potatoes I never heard the word used.

Being a Cowboy fan though I have always hated the Redskins. So I don`t care if they change the name.  If Snyder want to really fire people up call them the Washington Trumps. That will be more offensive than Redskins.
I wrote about this earlier but I’ve spent time on Native American reservations all over the country.  And all of the people there we’re redskins fans.  When i asked not one said they were bothered by the name.  In fact they were bothered by the chiefs but not the redskins. 

But ultimately the fact remains that it is a racial slur and i did not speak with every Native American in the country.  Just because you are i haven’t heard someone use it doesn’t mean it isn’t offensive or it isn’t a slur.  

It’s apparent that some native Americans are offended so with that being the case, change the damn name.  This would be like you pointing to some black guy who says they aren’t bothered by the n word.  Well you know what i am.  That person doesn’t negate the problematic slur.  

Snyder knew he would have to change the name once his pockets were impacted and finally they have been.  I’m glad we can get past this and move on as an organization.

I wrote about this earlier but I’ve spent time on Native American reservations all over the country.  And all of the people there we’re redskins fans.  When i asked not one said they were bothered by the name.  In fact they were bothered by the chiefs but not the redskins. 

But ultimately the fact remains that it is a racial slur and i did not speak with every Native American in the country.  Just because you are i haven’t heard someone use it doesn’t mean it isn’t offensive or it isn’t a slur.  

It’s apparent that some native Americans are offended so with that being the case, change the damn name.  This would be like you pointing to some black guy who says they aren’t bothered by the n word.  Well you know what i am.  That person doesn’t negate the problematic slur.  

Snyder knew he would have to change the name once his pockets were impacted and finally they have been.  I’m glad we can get past this and move on as an organization.
I have no problem if they get rid of Chiefs, Braves, Indians as well.  In fact just call the teams by the city they play in.  Atlanta, KC, Cleveland, Washington. Boston Celtics are named after  Irish and Scottish people so that should go as well. 

Seems easy enough.

This can't be an honest/real question, can it?  I mean really, you don't see a difference between a lyric in a song and a team name plastered on NBC, Fox, ESPN...?
Both are private entities selling a product. 

Both are private entities selling a product. 
One is a name...plastered all over places.

One is a lyric imbedded in a song.

There are numerous differences...so much so that leads me to believe it isn't a serious question from you.  

So...carry on getting others to react a bit more to this pretty ridiculous argument.

I've had plenty of exposure to people from the Navajo Nation and Hopi, Ute Mountain, and Southern Ute reservations. I didn't encounter anybody who took it too seriously. More of an eye-rolling wtf. It's ridiculous, but I have more important #### to be bothered by was generally the tone. This was in college, so it came up a few times in class discussions.

There are numerous differences...so much so that leads me to believe it isn't a serious question from you.  

So...carry on getting others to react a bit more to this pretty ridiculous argument.
They are both private businesses. Songs are also blasted all over places. Offensive to people, just as a sign would be. It's the same concept, i'm afraid you can't grasp this.

So you got nothing on the subject basically but to deflect?   You act like a song isn't plastered all over the place.   I mean the word is either racist or it's not, right?  Are you claiming selective racism?

They are both private businesses. Songs are also blasted all over places. Offensive to people, just as a sign would be. It's the same concept, i'm afraid you can't grasp this.
Blasted all over the place? I cant remember the last time I heard a song with the N word in it that I didn't specifically click on.  

I am not a teen, why would I watch streamers on Twitch?

Also, still the person clicking on that stream has the choice to do so.  
Twitch is just one example, they are adults, and you are right teenagers are exposed to it. Go out to a bar/club.  Seriously, where do you live? Get out of your retirement home.  A person can choose to not watch the Redskins, they have that choice also.

Twitch is just one example, they are adults, and you are right teenagers are exposed to it. Go out to a bar/club.  Seriously, where do you live? Get out of your retirement home.  A person can choose to not watch the Redskins, they have that choice also.
My point is Redskins represents every person who works there, plays there, wears the gear.   

A song on the stream or that an artist sings is on that person.  These arent hard concepts.  

Not sure where you live that the N word is so ubiquitous. 

My point is Redskins represents every person who works there, plays there, wears the gear.   

A song on the stream or that an artist sings is on that person.  These arent hard concepts.  

Not sure where you live that the N word is so ubiquitous
Ironically, in the Redskins locker room (and likely many sports locker rooms)  

Ironically, in the Redskins locker room (and likely many sports locker rooms)  
Ok, by players who chose to play it.  

Maybe if the Redskins chose to blast a Kendrick Lamar song as the team runs on the field we would be talking a similar thing.  

At this point we are probably arguing just to argue though.  

Not sure where you live that the N word is so ubiquitous. 
New Orleans. Do you live in Iceland?

Users who are viewing this thread