What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeopardy Baby, Ooooh-ooh-oooooh (1 Viewer)

Regarding the way Matt answers "What...... is..."  I read an article today that lots of people have been complaining that when it is a person his answer is grammatically wrong.   Jeopardy came out and said that during answers there is no rule to have proper grammar, just that they phrase it in the form of a question.

Regarding the way Matt answers "What...... is..."  I read an article today that lots of people have been complaining that when it is a person his answer is grammatically wrong.   Jeopardy came out and said that during answers there is no rule to have proper grammar, just that they phrase it in the form of a question.
Absolutely.  Back when Merv was first developing the game, they tried to get the contestants to use the correct pronoun.  It just took forever and made things unwatchable and unfun.

First off, I have missed a few games in Matt's run, but of the times I have watched I haven't heard him say "make it a daily double" or "bet it all".  He has always given his exact dollar amount. Almost seems intentional.

First off, I have missed a few games in Matt's run, but of the times I have watched I haven't heard him say "make it a daily double" or "bet it all".  He has always given his exact dollar amount. Almost seems intentional.

Probably. It’s psychologically devastating for the other players when he takes the killers hot and bets it all.

He rarely shows even a hint of emotion, but late in the game yesterday he gave a big smile and practically sang the LOTR answer:

What’s Sauron 

I was late getting dinner started so I missed parts of the Jeopardy round, but seemed like early on the other contestants were matching him on the buzzer. Like I think he was behind for a second, $1.4K to $1.8K. I went back to the kitchen to stir something and when I came back, the onslaught was already over, it was $12.8K to $2K to 400. Like I missed two minutes and he just curb stomped everyone,

Matt, you’re a PhD student at, er, in New Haven.

:lol:

Some Ivy’s are like that; I went to school in Ithaca or I matriculated in Providence. If Harvard grads haven’t name checked their school within 5 minutes of meeting you, they probably have laryngitis. Same same with UPenn.
He’s not from New Haven. He’s from Ohio, he goes to in New Haven. I’m from New Haven, it p****s me off🤬🤬🙂

I thought Richards was probably the best in show but didn't think he'd want to host full time since he was the producer.  

Variety reporting that Mike Richards in "advanced negotiations" to become next permanent host.

https://variety.com/2021/tv/news/mike-richards-jeopardy-host-alex-trebek-1235034673/
I hope he grows on me.  

Didn't he get first crack at hosting with the 'expected' ratings boost since people would be tuning-in to see what the show would do?  So he got a leg-up with ratings and ofcourse he is the only one with an inside edge.  

Not sure anyone stood out to me so meh.  :shrug:

I hope he grows on me.  

Didn't he get first crack at hosting with the 'expected' ratings boost since people would be tuning-in to see what the show would do?  So he got a leg-up with ratings and ofcourse he is the only one with an inside edge.  

Not sure anyone stood out to me so meh.  :shrug:
Ken Jennings was the first guest host.  I think Richards only filled in for a few weeks because there was a scheduling issue, or Covid related issue getting the next person in.

For Matt to go 'all in' with 13K during Double Jeopardy was the right call, but very very gutsy.

Amazingly, if he had missed (& the game played out the same), he still would have been leading $10K to $9.6K.

Last night he has a triple helping of humble pie during FJ. Won again, but with his lowest total ($6.2K) after losing $37K in FJ.

Scores after DJ round:

Matt $43,200

Kevin $600

Nicole $400

:shock:

Amazingly, if he had missed (& the game played out the same), he still would have been leading $10K to $9.6K.

Last night he has a triple helping of humble pie during FJ. Won again, but with his lowest total ($6.2K) after losing $37K in FJ.

Scores after DJ round:

Matt $43,200

Kevin $600

Nicole $400

:shock:
I was hoping he would end up being the only person to play FJ, he was like 5 questions away from it.

I thought Richards was probably the best in show but didn't think he'd want to host full time since he was the producer.  

I dunno, he has previous show-hosting experience and was only hired on like a year ago? Maybe he was always the choice and was being groomed backstage while holding the producer title to keep him in the building. 

The internet's reaction has me doing what I thought was impossible... hating LeVar Burton, or at least his fans (as every reaction seems to mention "snubbing" Burton). Richards was better than Burton, for sure.

Someone posted a selfie [on the Jeopardy! subreddit] they took with Matt at a minor league baseball game last night.

Of note: he brought his outfielder glove to the ballpark.

:cool:

competitive J round (6.6 - 4.2 - 2.4)

Last edited by a moderator:
Heading into FJ:

• Matt $44,400
  • Brian $5,000
  • Kristen $1800
Today he beat James H best Coryat score. Top 3 all time Coryat are now 1. Ken J 2. Matt A. 3. Matt A. 

14 D

$440,600 

4th all time

(all three missed FJ and he lost $34K but no consequences since he dominated the board start to finish)

Matt had his 10th straight runaway. Got all 6 $2K Qs right in DJ, controlling the board from clue 2 to clue 19.

His average Coryat score is $30.1K, second all time to James $30.5K (Ken was around $27.5K.)

15D 475K

Should move into third place all time winnings this week ($532.4)  - almost $2M short of Ken and James so it’ll be awhile. I think sometime next week he’ll move into 3rd in consecutive games won (20.) James (32) and Ken (74) are a ways off.

All three players missed Denmark 🇩🇰 last night when the clue included the country flag. Weird eh.

The awful Joe Buck aside, I always thought there should be a call back for the best of those vanquished by double digit champs. It's not their fault for the bad draw.
I met someone who got a job out of that. When I got an in-person audition for the show in 2015 (didn't get the call), one of the staff was someone who had lost to Julia Collins during her 20-win run. 

Can you imagine trying for years/decades to get on the show, finally succeeding, and then getting put on in a week with an unbeatable champion AND Joe Buck? That would SUCK. 

I met someone who got a job out of that. When I got an in-person audition for the show in 2015 (didn't get the call), one of the staff was someone who had lost to Julia Collins during her 20-win run. 

I took the test in person years ago. Back then, the Clue Crew was still a thing, and I remember Jimmy was there to administer the test. It was between seasons, he said something cryptic at the time that "we can't say how the season ends (the prior season had been recorded but not fully aired yet), but, something kind of special is happening and those of you who get through may become a part of it!"

Turns out that we were auditioning after Ken Jennings had won 30+ episodes, but before any of them had aired. Everyone who got the call that day ended up just being fodder for the buzzsaw. 

I hate Joe Buck the sportscaster as much as the next person but he’s doing a good job hosting.

Another textbook runaway for Matt, and another triple stumper FJ. 

11 straight runaways, and all 6 of his FJ misses were triple stumpers.

10/16 = 62.5%

other All-time greats:

• Ken Jennings 68%
  • James Holzhauer 97%
  • Julia Collins 62%
  • Dave Madden 70%
  • Jason Zuffranieri 55%

Brianna, last nights runner up, was on the r/Jeopardy subreddit answering questions. She said Matt is an absolute beast on the buzzer. Said he was the sweetest guy and super humble. She didn’t know Joe Buck from Adam but said he was kind and worked hard to get things right, apologized to the crew when he screwed up. They assured him he was way better than most hosts. She was a fan.

She watched two game tapings before she went on so she knew what a buzzsaw she was up against. On the rare occasions she got control she would try to disrupt his patterns - he always clears the bottom row before DD hunting - but every time she go up top he would wrest control back immediately.

I think James blows Matt away on knowledge (though he’s obviously very good) but Amodio is maybe the GoAT on the buzzer. Impressive run regardless, went over $500K last night. Needs around $31-32K to move into 3rd on the money list. The season closes out Friday, which would be his 18th if he keeps winning.

I’m ambivalent about the host, no one can compare to Trebek and in polling 62% say “keeping the focus on the game” is what matters most (next highest quality of a new host was like 12%.) The forums and Twitter are ablaze with disapproval over Richards choosing himself.

In polling before the announcement, Richards was 12th and Bialik 9th amongst guest hosts. Top 3 were Ken Jennings, Buzzy Cohen, and David Faber.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread