What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lamar Miller, 2016, Infinity and beyond (3 Viewers)

I'm no Miller fan, but come on -- Daniel Thomas is JAG at best. Miller will succeed or fail based on himself, not because Daniel Thomas steals the feature job. It's not like anyone in the organization is gonna come right out and say "yeah, Dan sucks and it was a wasted pick. His butt is gone the second his rookie deal is up."
Agreed 1000%

I'm no Miller fan, but come on -- Daniel Thomas is JAG at best. Miller will succeed or fail based on himself, not because Daniel Thomas steals the feature job. It's not like anyone in the organization is gonna come right out and say "yeah, Dan sucks and it was a wasted pick. His butt is gone the second his rookie deal is up."
Based on what they have done thus far, the same could be said of Miller.

This weekends game....will decide each backs fate to open the season.

No doubt.
2 Things are going on here,

1st their making the most use they can out of Dan while they still can. They gave a lot up for him and unless he explodes he'll be out the door when or even before his contract expires.

2nd their making Miller, a player with red flags all of him when he was drafted, earn it!!! As stated above, if Miller goes out there lights it up this competition is over. If Miller does a so so job while Dan continues from where he left off last pre-season game then this will go on into the early part of the season.

Based on what they have done thus far, the same could be said of Miller.
Difference is that we have 5x the sample size on Thomas -- 256 carries vs 51 for Miller. Thomas has been decidedly below average on those carries at 3.5 yards per, while Miller was effective on his limited touches last year. I personally think Miller is seriously over-rated as a talent, but he is still essentially an unknown, so the possibility does exist that he might in fact be a great RB. Thomas has shown me enough that I am pretty much certain he is a plodder with minimal burst and elusiveness, and less power than he should have considering his size. He is a backup level talent at best IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've given all you Miller fans plenty of time to at least mention the fact he dropped a very easy 3rd and 2 pass for a 1st down the other night. Lets also not forget about the first play from scrimmage of this years entire pre season. Very pedestrian. Thomas is gonna take this job by the horns this weekend.

I've given all you Miller fans plenty of time to at least mention the fact he dropped a very easy 3rd and 2 pass for a 1st down the other night. Lets also not forget about the first play from scrimmage of this years entire pre season. Very pedestrian. Thomas is gonna take this job by the horns this weekend.
barring injury, they will both get 10-15 carries a game to start the season... i dont see how you could see the situation any differently given whats happened this pre-season so far. The coaching staff has no incentive to play one or the other if they are playing equally well

This is Daniel Thomas were talking about right? Over 250 lackluster carries and nothing but mediocrity to show for it. Miller has something Thomas does not ... Burst & Elite Speed . He will get more than the preseason to lose this job before they had it to Thomas.

What this topic has turned into is FF Einstein's looking to derail the Milller Hype train and Miller owners looking to defend their guy at all costs.

The kid is young , fast and explosive but raw. Everything Thomas isn't.

As a Miller owner I am completely torn on what to do .... the potential is there, but not proven. I do not know whether to ride him until he boom/busts or trade him now while he still has value for someone who is proven but has injury risks like DMurray.

The easy drop and the initial fumble took some of the sheen off Miller. Hence the sudden "competition." Everything leading up to those two plays was positive. The coaches know he's their guy, but they don't want to hand him the job, especially after a couple mistakes. Pretty simple, imo.

Wow, I recall Calvin Johnson dropping a lot of passes last year, I am pretty sure he fumbled too, and he got stopped at the 1 like 6 times last year. I should trade him, the Lions will cut him soon or give his job to Burelson!

The easy drop and the initial fumble took some of the sheen off Miller. Hence the sudden "competition." Everything leading up to those two plays was positive. The coaches know he's their guy, but they don't want to hand him the job, especially after a couple mistakes. Pretty simple, imo.
I want to believe this, and I still kinda do, but this is reminding me a bit of Hillman last year. The staff at FBG was telling us not to listen to the coach-speak, that it was Hillman who was going to be the guy after McGahee was hurt. Moreno was terrible. Ignore what the coach says...

I still think/hope Miller's explosiveness earns him the majority the carries, but as a fantasy football community who tends to focus on athletic ability and offensive potential we often ignore how much pass blocking and ball security factor into a coaches decision at RB.

Fins fan here. The play is miller and handcuff with Gillislee for dynasty. We have seen all we need to from Thomas. Also, this line is built for run blocking with smaller but very athletic players that can get blocks at the second level. Miller will break off some very long td runs.

I've given all you Miller fans plenty of time to at least mention the fact he dropped a very easy

3rd and 2 pass for a 1st down the other night. Lets also not forget about the first play from scrimmage of this years entire pre season. Very pedestrian. Thomas is gonna take this job by

the horns this weekend.
Wow, I recall Calvin Johnson dropping a lot of passes last year, I am pretty sure he fumbled too, and he got stopped at the 1 like 6 times last year. I should trade him, the Lions will cut him soon or give his job to Burelson!
Great comparison. A 4th round RB with < 60 career touches who couldn't even advance higher than 3rd string just last year has obviously earned as long a leash as a future HOF receiver. Keep on guzzling that Kool Aid!

I've given all you Miller fans plenty of time to at least mention the fact he dropped a very easy

3rd and 2 pass for a 1st down the other night. Lets also not forget about the first play from scrimmage of this years entire pre season. Very pedestrian. Thomas is gonna take this job by

the horns this weekend.
Great comparison. A 4th round RB with < 60 career touches who couldn't even advance higher than 3rd string just last year has obviously earned as long a leash as a future HOF receiver. Keep on guzzling that Kool Aid!
Amen.

wut

I want to believe this, and I still kinda do, but this is reminding me a bit of Hillman last year. The staff at FBG was telling us not to listen to the coach-speak, that it was Hillman who was going to be the guy after McGahee was hurt. Moreno was terrible. Ignore what the coach says...

I still think/hope Miller's explosiveness earns him the majority the carries, but as a fantasy football community who tends to focus on athletic ability and offensive potential we often ignore how much pass blocking and ball security factor into a coaches decision at RB.
Lamar....is not a fumbler. One of the very best at ball security. In fact they use his grip and handle of the ball as an example to the other backs in Dolphins camp.

#### happens, it was a bothed handoff...Miller made a mistake. He dropped a swing pass because he was looking upfield and believe me....he won't drop many of those.

For all of you with doubts...Lamar Miller has taken every single rep since May OTA's and mini camps as well as training camp with only the first team offense. Until this week.....Daniel Thomas never took any reps with the first team. Not one.

This is just to get Lamars attention and I am positive you will see Lamar show something Saturday night.....and be well on his way to a solid second year as the Dolphins starting tailback.

Fins fan here. The play is miller and handcuff with Gillislee for dynasty. We have seen all we need to from Thomas. Also, this line is built for run blocking with smaller but very athletic players that can get blocks at the second level. Miller will break off some very long td runs.
Good advice....but Gillislee has to show something. I think he will...thus far though....not that good. But he is rookie and learning an entirely new playbook. But with RB's they normally adapt quickly. But I agree with you. DT is a goner when his contract is up....maybe sooner if we can get a sucker to trade us anything for him.

Yes, it is. The staff has watched these guys all summer long (and last season) and know exactly what they offer. Up until just a week ago or so it was all Miller and now they've seen so much from a handful of preseason carries that it's all out the window? Not everything that is said is gospel. Look at the whole picture. A team's actions along with the words are often enough to give you an idea what's going on.

Coeur de Lion said:
msudaisy26 said:
threeputt said:

the horns this weekend.
The comparison might be bad but the over reaction to 2 plays in the preseason is the same.

Missed the game. How did Miller look?
I thought he ran well, showed good burst and perhaps even more importantly, correctly picked up his assignments on blitzes and pass protected well.

Daniel Thomas also pass protected well from what I saw, however the talent discrepancy between him and Miller is obvious. Thomas looked sluggish all game -- there was one run where he was heading towards the sidelines when he should have cut inside and he ended up running into his own offensive lineman and fell down.

By the way, I own both Miller and Thomas. It's clear that the Dolphins have a better shot of winning with Miller getting the majority of the touches, but the question is whether the coaches agree. There have been many instances of RBs sharing touches when one was clearly better than the other; let's hope the situation in Miami won't transform into such. Miller is the far better back.

Missed the game. How did Miller look?
I thought he ran well, showed good burst and perhaps even more importantly, correctly picked up his assignments on blitzes and pass protected well.

Daniel Thomas also pass protected well from what I saw, however the talent discrepancy between him and Miller is obvious. Thomas looked sluggish all game -- there was one run where he was heading towards the sidelines when he should have cut inside and he ended up running into his own offensive lineman and fell down.

By the way, I own both Miller and Thomas. It's clear that the Dolphins have a better shot of winning with Miller getting the majority of the touches, but the question is whether the coaches agree. There have been many instances of RBs sharing touches when one was clearly better than the other; let's hope the situation in Miami won't transform into such. Miller is the far better back.
Well said. Miller is clearly the better player and should get as much playing time as he can handle.

barring injury, they will both get 10-15 carries a game to start the season... i dont see how you could see the situation any differently given whats happened this pre-season so far. The coaching staff has no incentive to play one or the other if they are playing equally well
pretty sure the whole point of this thread is that almost all observers believe that they will not play "equally well" given the history.

Rotoworld:

The Miami Herald's Armando Salguero believes Lamar Miller has sewn up the Dolphins' starting tailback job.
"Lamar Miller is your starting running back," Salguero wrote. While Daniel Thomas has averaged under three yards a carry in the preseason, Miller is at a far more-solid 4.24 and impressed in blitz pickup in the third exhibition game. He's also been getting goal-line work ahead of Thomas and operated as the primary back in Miami's two-minute offense. On Twitter, Salguero recently described Thomas as a player who "often looks great in practice where there is no tackling. Too often a different story in games. Guy's a mirage."

Related: Daniel Thomas

Source: Miami Herald

Rotoworld:

The Miami Herald's Armando Salguero believes Lamar Miller has sewn up the Dolphins' starting tailback job.
"Lamar Miller is your starting running back," Salguero wrote. While Daniel Thomas has averaged under three yards a carry in the preseason, Miller is at a far more-solid 4.24 and impressed in blitz pickup in the third exhibition game. He's also been getting goal-line work ahead of Thomas and operated as the primary back in Miami's two-minute offense. On Twitter, Salguero recently described Thomas as a player who "often looks great in practice where there is no tackling. Too often a different story in games. Guy's a mirage."

And so ends the Daniel Thomas Discount. Congrats to those that got Miller on the cheap!

Rotoworld:

And so ends the Daniel Thomas Discount. Congrats to those that got Miller on the cheap!
Can't say I got him on the cheap (I had him since his rookie year in my dynasty team and drafted him at 2.12 in my redraft this year) but I sure am glad I didn't act on the Daniel thomas noise that was getting louder and louder over the last 2 weeks. I have to admit the talk started getting to me and I started wondering if I made the wrong move takin miller. But it was getting to me mostly BC of millers lackluster play not what people were saying about thomas.

I'm still a little worried about miller and have lowered my expectations for him in 2013. At one point I felt he is so talented he could end up as an rb1 this year. But he hasn't shown me enough in this preseason to solidify that belief. Now I'm tempering my expectations and I'd be happy if he was a top 20rb this year.

The real point to drive home here is this: even if he wins the starting job, it's still concerning that he didn't blow Daniel thomas out of the water during training camp games and practices. He was pegged by many as the next Clinton Portis.

2nd year Clinton Portis would not have a problem blowing thomas out of the water if he were in the dolphins training camp in 2013.

So miller still has question marks surrounding him that only the season playing out can answer IMO.

Rotoworld:

Can't say I got him on the cheap (I had him since his rookie year in my dynasty team and drafted him at 2.12 in my redraft this year) but I sure am glad I didn't act on the Daniel thomas noise that was getting louder and louder over the last 2 weeks.I have to admit the talk started getting to me and I started wondering if I made the wrong move takin miller. But it was getting to me mostly BC of millers lackluster play not what people were saying about thomas.

I'm still a little worried about miller and have lowered my expectations for him in 2013. At one point I felt he is so talented he could end up as an rb1 this year. But he hasn't shown me enough in this preseason to solidify that belief. Now I'm tempering my expectations and I'd be happy if he was a top 20rb this year.

The real point to drive home here is this: even if he wins the starting job, it's still concerning that he didn't blow Daniel thomas out of the water during training camp games and practices. He was pegged by many as the next Clinton Portis.

2nd year Clinton Portis would not have a problem blowing thomas out of the water if he were in the dolphins training camp in 2013.

So miller still has question marks surrounding him that only the season playing out can answer IMO.
He did blow Thomas out of the water in practices.....he took every single rep with the first team since May and still going. Only this past week did DT take some snaps with the first team in practice.

Don't worry. And pre-season.....was nothing. Until Saturday night Miller got 9 carries. Don't read into pre-season so much.

Miller will deliever very solid RB2 numbers....especially in PPR. He is a good pass catcher (despite his drop 2 weeks ago against the Texans that was talked about for a week....one stinkin dropped pass) as well and they will make sure they throw swings and screens to him to get him in the open field where he will destroy defenses with his speed. I would guess if he and Wallace had a race...it would be a dead heat.

DT will be gone after this season and IMO out of the league.

Very excited, got Lamar Miller as my 4th running back last night: McCoy, Chris Johnson, Lacy, Miller. Had to sacrifice at other positions (my best Wrs are Vincent Jackson and Torrey Smith) but I think it was well worth it.

steveski said:
Since when do news reporters set teams depth charts?
exactly, its that guys opinion... he may be right and 99% of the fantasy world agrees with him... but if the coaches insist on giving thomas 10 carries a game it will eat in to Miller's potential

Not surprising that its going to be the Miller show. I think only concern now is if he's up to the punishment and how the line plays.

Personally, my 3rd round redraft picks are reserved for David Wilson or Miller. I've owned Daniel Thomas a couple of times, so I've seen that show. In addition to being a plodder he has a long list of injury problems (hamstring, concussion, knee).

Don't know if Miller will star or be a bust, but I like the talent that I have seen and believe that the opportunity will be there. That's worth a 3rd round pick in my book.

Personally, my 3rd round redraft picks are reserved for David Wilson or Miller. I've owned Daniel Thomas a couple of times, so I've seen that show. In addition to being a plodder he has a long list of injury problems (hamstring, concussion, knee).

Don't know if Miller will star or be a bust, but I like the talent that I have seen and believe that the opportunity will be there. That's worth a 3rd round pick in my book.
Grab Wilson in the 3rd and cross your fingers that Lamar falls to the 4th....it happens.

Lamar Miller: I feel I won Miami Dolphins' starting job

By Chris Wesseling

Around the League Writer

In the world of hoaxes, the Miami Dolphins' running back "competition" and the Cleveland Browns' quarterback "battle" pale in comparison to England's Piltdown Man and Cottingley Fairies.

They are football farces nonetheless.

The Browns have ceased with their charade, but the Dolphins have yet to reach the foregone conclusion that Lamar Miller is in control of their backfield.

As far as Miller is concerned, the job is his after outplaying an underwhelming Daniel Thomas in Saturday's 17-16 preseason loss to the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

"I do feel like I won the job," Miller said, via The Miami Herald.

The Dolphins can insist the two backs remain "neck-and-neck" due to equal performances in practices, but Thomas has never come through once the lights go on.

We don't begrudge general manager Jeff Ireland's reluctance to concede Thomas isn't the player the Dolphins thought they were getting when the team traded up to select him at No. 62 overall in the 2011 NFL Draft. The evidence is overwhelming, however.

Thomas has averaged a damning 3.5 yards on 256 career carries. If the play is blocked for three yards, Thomas will get three, whereas Miller has a chance at 40 or 50. No matter what Thomas shows in practice, the game tape reveals a tentative, soft runner with ball security issues.

Miller isn't without his own weaknesses, but it's only a matter of time before his obvious talent edge leads to the starting job he believes is already his.

The "Around The League Podcast" is now available on iTunes! Click here to listen and subscribe.

Grab Wilson in the 3rd and cross your fingers that Lamar falls to the 4th....it happens.
That's what I will do. Alas one of the guys drafting after me is a Miller fan, I'd be pretty surprised if he passed on him twice. Never know though :thumbup:

Rotoworld:

The Miami Herald's Armando Salguero suspects the Dolphins have talked up Daniel Thomas as a serious competitor for the starting tailback job in an effort to "motivate" Lamar Miller and "keep him from feeling comfortable."
Thomas is clearly the inferior player -- and Miller has started each of Miami's four preseason games -- so Salguero guesses they've talked up a running battle for "psychological reason(s)." Salguero does concede this approach isn't like Joe Philbin. Still, there's nary a doubt left Thomas will be the No. 2 to Miller's No. 1, and forward-thinking fantasy owners who forecasted this early will benefit in their leagues. Miller is a big-time 2013 breakout candidate.

I got Miller as my RB2 in the 5th round of a 12 team ppr league. Draft was last week....

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

The Miami Herald's Armando Salguero suspects the Dolphins have talked up Daniel Thomas as a serious competitor for the starting tailback job in an effort to "motivate" Lamar Miller and "keep him from feeling comfortable."
Thomas is clearly the inferior player -- and Miller has started each of Miami's four preseason games -- so Salguero guesses they've talked up a running battle for "psychological reason(s)." Salguero does concede this approach isn't like Joe Philbin. Still, there's nary a doubt left Thomas will be the No. 2 to Miller's No. 1, and forward-thinking fantasy owners who forecasted this early will benefit in their leagues. Miller is a big-time 2013 breakout candidate.

:tinfoilhat:

From Sigmund Bloom:

This Lamar Miller/Daniel Thomas “competition” just reeks of the kind of situation where we wish we have stuck with our original evaluation. Miller is good enough to have strong RB3/Flex value in a timeshare, and as long as he stays healthy, he’ll seize the starting job very soon. Don’t let him fall past the fifth round….

When he goes off for 350 yards in the first three weeks, people are going to be all over him. If you want him, get him before the season starts.

Users who are viewing this thread