What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Game of Thrones, tv only, books don't exist, no backstory...NERDS already ruining a series that hasn't started (8 Viewers)

I'm finding it very hard to take anyone who is/was really disturbed about the Sansa/Ramsay thing seriously.

If something like this is "over the line" then you should have stopped watching a long time ago. Did you have the same reaction when Theon had the little kids killed (the ones near Winterfell) or when Theon had his junk cut off or when any of the other numerous horrific things happened?
Is someone paying you to build these or were you just bored and you had a lot of straw lying around?
Yes. Pretty handsomely too.
And you get summers off.

I'm finding it very hard to take anyone who is/was really disturbed about the Sansa/Ramsay thing seriously.

If something like this is "over the line" then you should have stopped watching a long time ago. Did you have the same reaction when Theon had the little kids killed (the ones near Winterfell) or when Theon had his junk cut off or when any of the other numerous horrific things happened?
Is someone paying you to build these or were you just bored and you had a lot of straw lying around?
Yes. Pretty handsomely too.
And you get summers off.
That's when we do all of our raping.

Again, it is just absolutely silly to complain this. Absolutely freaking silly.
Why is it silly to say that seeing a rape scene makes you uncomfortable? You may be comfortable with it, but that doesn't mean it's silly for other people to be uncomfortable with it.
Saying it made you uncomfortable is one thing. Complaining about it as being part of rape culture or whatever else IS silly. Of course it made you uncomfortable. Bad things are suppose to make you uncomfortable. If this is the only scene that has made you uncomfortable in this series then you have issues. How many of those scenes did you complain about?

Also, another point on this. How in the world is it gratuitous? You could label it gratuitous if we saw some naked Sansa but we did not. And why is someone complaining now about something being gratuitous? There has been a ton of gratuitous naked bodies and sex on this show- did you silly people complain then? And if you did- why the bleep are you watching the show?!
Cool. You can tell the bolded to someone who complained about that. Did anyone here do that?

As for it being gratuitous- I explained it a couple times already, but here goes. It didn't add to or change our understanding of the characters and how they relate to each other in any way. It was basically a non-subtle version of something that already happened with the same exact characters the previous week at the dinner table with Theon being forced to apologize for "killing" Sansa's siblings. And unless the scene picks up right where it left off- which they never do on this show- then it doesn't really change the narrative in any way, because there was already more than sufficient grounds for either character to eventually lash out at Ramsay before this. If they hadn't shown that scene but they opened next week with Sansa and Theon plotting to murder the Boltons, nobody would have been the slightest bit confused about it. Thus, gratuitous IMO.

And the other gratuitous displays didn't bother me as much because the idea of presenting nudity or sex or even violence for the audience to enjoy independent of any narrative doesn't seem odd to me, but doing that for rape does. They're all different things and I feel differently about enjoying each of them onscreen for their own sake. I assume most other people feel the same way.
I disagree with that per Sansa's reaction to Theon when he came to give her away in this past weeks episode. There was no sympathy for him or his predicament. She might have thought Ramsey strange or sadistic at the dinner party for what he did to Theon.....but I'm not sure that she felt sorrow for Theon for what has happened to him. There needs to be:

A) individual debasement of Sansa by Ramsey, shared debasement between Theon and Sansa or the realization by Theon that

Sansa's going to be turned into a Reekess,

B) A rekindling of Theon's loyalty to the Starks (something that he's hinted at in the past and IIRC at the actual wedding)

C) an acknowledgement by him that he didn't kill Bran and Rickon before any plots would be hatched to kill the Boltons....

The wedding scene and wedding night more or less fulfilled two of those.
A) Yea, I think so. And for all of Theon's failings- he did love the Starks. Motivation of protecting can be much more powerful than self-preservation in some instances but I think much more so when you have been beaten down like Theon has.

B) Theon seemed to have a moment there when he said "ward of Edard Stark". I think that impacted him.

If Theon acts, I don't think the dinner scene would adequate explain someone going from refusing to get out of a cell when his sister came to save him to someone willing to do something because Ramsay has his little sick fun at the dinner.

Despite the controversial Ramsay/Theon/Sansa scene and the sand snakes warrior princesses scene, I think the trial scene was the most cringe worthy. Nothing about it was plausible, the dialogue was terrible and the acting by everyone except maybe Dianna Rigg was pretty bad too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some background info that has been glossed over in the show:

At this point in the story Reek has completely lost his mind, and has no recollection of "Theon". There has to be something dramatic that causes him to snap out of the brainwashing that Ramsey has put him through.

In the story, the girl is a fake Arya, who nontheless knows Theon, and Theon plays a more active role in her wedding night "bliss" - required to get her moist for Ramsey.

In the show the scene was almost entirely focused on Theon for a reason - its the impact on him that has the chance to cause him to act, or to crawl back into his shell. His downfall has been traumatic, and it would take a trauma to bring him out of it.

Despite the controversial Ramsay/Theon/Sansa scene and the sand snakes warrior princesses scene, I think the trial scene was the most cringe worthy. Nothing about it was plausible, the dialogue was terrible and the acting by everyone except maybe Dianna Rigg was pretty bad too.
There wasn't even any good tension in it. Everybody knew exactly how it was going to go and what was happening and the testimony of the lover was completely unbelievable. Like that guy has been treated well by the Sparrows? He wouldn't have been terrified and a little roughed up? Instead, he's all coy and shmarmy? Horrible

Is anyone here "really disturbed" by this or arguing that? I just understand that people have different triggers and things that bother them. I get that rape would be an emotional and hot button topic, and I was arguing that it was lazy and unnecessary, but as TF also said, Thunderlips has laid out some good points and soften my stance a tad on it as well.

I already said that personally I thought Robbs wife at the Red Wedding was hard for me to see. Otherwise, I think they have done a decent job of showing the aftermath of terrible things- burnt kids, Theon's junk, etc.

Nothing is bad enough to make me stop watching.

Is anyone here "really disturbed" by this or arguing that?
Not sure about "here" but it seems there are quite a few people that are losing their #### over it.

There wasn't even any good tension in it. Everybody knew exactly how it was going to go and what was happening and the testimony of the lover was completely unbelievable. Like that guy has been treated well by the Sparrows? He wouldn't have been terrified and a little roughed up? Instead, he's all coy and shmarmy? Horrible
:yes:

There were so many possible retorts to his testimony that would have worked as well. Instead we'll just yell stuff like "you can't do this.!!!" And give each other stupid looks.

Not sure about "here" but it seems there are quite a few people that are losing their #### over it.
Yep, and there are reasons for that, of which we have been debating for a couple pages.

Yep, and there are reasons for that, of which we have been debating for a couple pages.
:lmao: Good lord.

What?

What?
I think all the salient points have been made. In the end, it's just a t.v. show. Probably time to move on to other stuff. Like why Jamie didn't let Bronn finish his little song. That really upset me.

The thing I didn't get was why the lover seemed so happy and smug to give the testimony. I also got a kick out of how the Kingsguard were ready to start chopping heads off and Tommen does nothing. It is such a drastic difference going from Joefrey to Tommen. One that would have chopped off the Sparrows head before he spoke to the other who wont even do anything when his Queen and wife gets hauled away.

I didn't really note any bad acting in it and didn't think any of the lines were off.

The thing I didn't get was why the lover seemed so happy and smug to give the testimony.
he's one of them uppity hoes.

It is interesting that Tyrion's trial just one year ago was some of the better stuff of the season, and this was auch a dud. Not sure if it is the stakes, the actors, the characters, or what. But agree that it was clunky.

tldr - are some people really complaining about a work of fiction having some real life things like rape?
No, that is not what the discussion was about.
:shrug:
But with rape on campus and in general being a hot button topic and an extremely sensitive one, HBO doesn't seem to give to craps about how they handle it, or for what reason they do it.
And? Never said anything about whether works of fiction should have these things in them. I can understand people being upset with certain scenes and that this show has a history of this.

Frankly, some of the posts in here are creeping me out a bit. Are you guys saying Sunday wasn't rape period, or in this fictional universe?

Comments like: she didn't say no, she kinda put herself in that position, well she started taking her clothes off, something was expected to happen that night, etc seem a bit off. Yes I know we are talking about a work of fiction, just saying I have been surprised by some of the posts and the opinions of the scene.
Was the reaction the same for the Drogo and Daenerys scene?

Frankly, some of the posts in here are creeping me out a bit. Are you guys saying Sunday wasn't rape period, or in this fictional universe?

Comments like: she didn't say no, she kinda put herself in that position, well she started taking her clothes off, something was expected to happen that night, etc seem a bit off. Yes I know we are talking about a work of fiction, just saying I have been surprised by some of the posts and the opinions of the scene.
Was the reaction the same for the Drogo and Daenerys scene?
Not as much, but I remember there being rumblings. It is a different scene, and that was brought up too.

Again, a big catalyst is there being multiple scenes over multiple years, especially the botched scene last year.

Exactly. Have been really busy at work but keep seeing this story pop up about how pissed / disturbed people are. WTF have they been watching, and oh yeah it's just a show.

Weird.

Exactly. Have been really busy at work but keep seeing this story pop up about how pissed / disturbed people are. WTF have they been watching, and oh yeah it's just a show.

Weird.
Just curious - none of you reacting like this have ever been effected by a movie or tv show? Nothing has scared you, made you cry, upset you?

I agree that it is going overboard saying you are going to stop watching or covering the show over one scene, but a lot of you seem to think it is weird that people are even having a reaction to this.

Weird.
Just curious - none of you reacting like this have ever been effected by a movie or tv show? Nothing has scared you, made you cry, upset you? I agree that it is going overboard saying you are going to stop watching or covering the show over one scene, but a lot of you seem to think it is weird that people are even having a reaction to this.
Its designed to make people feel/react/be disturbed, I think it's the outrage that confuses me, except its the internet and faux-outrage is basically what its for.

Weird.
Just curious - none of you reacting like this have ever been effected by a movie or tv show? Nothing has scared you, made you cry, upset you?

I agree that it is going overboard saying you are going to stop watching or covering the show over one scene, but a lot of you seem to think it is weird that people are even having a reaction to this.
Sure. This show has been filled with miserable people, death, rape, tragedy, murder, flaying, fetus stabbing, etc. The whole show is pretty awful if you think about it, everything builds up to some terrible sequence of events.

Not sure why this is shocking anyone.

Again I have been out of touch this week more than normal but seems like there is more talk about this week than other messed stuff that has happened. Have heard it being talked about on sports talk radio show that never talks about pop culture stuff.

Sadly overlooked from all of the Sansa/Ramsey/Reek talk was the week's best one liner, delivered by the Queen of Thorns.

"Ugh, you can smell the #### from five miles away..."

:lmao:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sadly overlooked from all of the Sansa/Ramsey/Reek scene talk was this week's one liner:

Oleanna Tyrell, while on approach to King's Landing - "Ugh, you can smell the #### from five miles away..."

She is one of the better characters. Expecting some major payback from her in up coming episodes.

Weird.

Yeah, but not this show and not that scene for sure.

Because it was unnecessary and representative of a season that is creaking along with no apparent direction??

Weird.
Just curious - none of you reacting like this have ever been effected by a movie or tv show? Nothing has scared you, made you cry, upset you? I agree that it is going overboard saying you are going to stop watching or covering the show over one scene, but a lot of you seem to think it is weird that people are even having a reaction to this.
Cool, but other people have different things that upset them.

Sadly overlooked from all of the Sansa/Ramsey/Reek scene talk was this week's one liner:

Oleanna Tyrell, while on approach to King's Landing - "Ugh, you can smell the #### from five miles away..."

She is one of the better characters. Expecting some major payback from her in up coming episodes.
Definitely a top 5 character for me on the show. She was a much needed shot in the arm this season.

Weird.
Cool, but other people have different things that upset them.
No excuse.

Has anyone asked if what Ramsey did to Sansa was "legitimate" or not? Some people claim rape can be a beautiful thing if a baby is the result of it.

Just wondering where we are in the "real life" vs. seven kingdoms debate.

It would be nice if we could give positive and negative rep for posts instead of just liking them. Just sayin'.

Weird.
This scene effected my boner.

Great point. It was very obvious what was going to happen. I didn't really think about LF's guy and you are absolutely right that he acted like he was in on the sting all along instead of being a beaten up, terrified prisoner.

Some background info that has been glossed over in the show:

At this point in the story Reek has completely lost his mind, and has no recollection of "Theon". There has to be something dramatic that causes him to snap out of the brainwashing that Ramsey has put him through.

In the story, the girl is a fake Arya, who nontheless knows Theon, and Theon plays a more active role in her wedding night "bliss" - required to get her moist for Ramsey.

In the show the scene was almost entirely focused on Theon for a reason - its the impact on him that has the chance to cause him to act, or to crawl back into his shell. His downfall has been traumatic, and it would take a trauma to bring him out of it.
I would have liked to see the backlash if they would have included that part of it.

It is interesting that Tyrion's trial just one year ago was some of the better stuff of the season, and this was auch a dud. Not sure if it is the stakes, the actors, the characters, or what. But agree that it was clunky.
In fairness this wasn't a trial, it was a preliminary hearing. I assume it's setting up a more dramatic trial later in the season but was necessary to get Margaery arrested and show Tommen's inaction.

Seriously, we've discussed this scene ad nauseam, with pretty much every view/opinion brought up for both sides.

Let's move on to other stuff, like Bronn's certain impending death. Now that Jaimie is captured, and it was obvious the Lannisters were trying to get their daughter out, how does that impact the relationships with Dorne?

Stannis has to be close to winterfell by now, right? Stannis/Boltons fight this massive battle. During the fight, Theon recovers, having been finally pushed over the edge, tells Sansa the truth about her brothers. At some point during the battle Theon/Sansa kill Ramsey. Stannis wins the fight only to have LittleFinger arrive and take him and his remaining army out, Stannis has just become too sympathetic, and is expendable after removing the Boltons from power. The red queen returns to the wall with Jon. Sansa and Little finger now run the North.

Whatever happened to Robb's army anyhow? I know his personal guard and a few of his warriors all got slain at the red wedding, but didn't he have this massive army? I guess they all returned to their respective castles? What if this is season is all about how Sansa becomes this hardened vengeful leader of these armies. They've said at least 10x now that "the north remembers". I can see Sansa leading an army against the Freys to get revenge for the red wedding.

In fairness this wasn't a trial, it was a preliminary hearing. I assume it's setting up a more dramatic trial later in the season but was necessary to get Margaery arrested and show Tommen's inaction.
Fair point

It's clearly not rape according to the law in the seven kingdoms.
Now we are going to get real nerdy: what evidence are basing this on?
The fact that last time she was married, to Tyrion, they were ordered to consummate the marriage for one. There are plenty of examples where the wives are expected to obey and serve their Lords (husbands). I think you're still confusing the fiction with real life.

Users who are viewing this thread